Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - Agent Patrol

OK... a really basic question...

But what should I use to wash my car?

Dish washing liquid?

Car shampoo?

Car shampoo with wax?

What do I need? A sponge and a cloth to dry?

Anything special for getting in the nooks and crannies of the alloys?

Should I get micro fibre cloth?

I searched on youtube. I saw a video or 2. Videos are too long and don't give any product recommendations.

IMPORTANT: my Nissan Qashqai has a glass roof! And I can't reach the centre standing on the outside of the car! Do I need a telescope sponge or something?

Wheels and alloys, do I need anything special for these? I've seen some tyre shining spray? Is this recommended?

Snow foam - erm... what's that and do I need it?? (Would be great fun for the kids. LOL.)

Thanks.

Edited by Agent Patrol on 11/08/2020 at 02:35

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - dan86

Use a good shampoo and wax i use simonize and if u can't reach the roof get one of those folding steps, place's like Wilkinson sell them i also find windowlean good for the glass. Best thing for the wheels is the same soap you wash the car with all those alloy wheel cleaners contain harsh chemicals,

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - Ian D
Maybe go to google or your favourite search engine, type in How to wash a car, then follow any of the links from the AA, RAC, autoexpress, wikihow etc etc etc
Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - primus 1

Never use washing up liquid as it will strip the protective wax from the paintwork, just buy a decent wash wax car shampoo, I don’t like using a sponge instead I use a wash mitt,

start by hosing off the car with just plain water

fill your bucket with warm water and add the recommended dosage of car shampoo ( it’ll be on the bottle)

start at the top, ( you may need small step ladders or something to reach) shampoo the roof and work down and around the car,

you can buy special wheel cleaners but as mentioned car shampoo will do from your bucket, ( but do them last) , dry with a microfibre cloth, ( you’ll need more than one)

again as mentioned there’s plenty of vids on yt and such,

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - John F

Hardly ever. Just after or during rain shower. Just rinse with lots of water and soft cloth/brush. Leave to dry, don't rub. No need for detergents or cleaners, apart from removing the occasional tar spots - not seen so much these days. A dab of petrol or white spirit is all you need for these. In winter don't bother with anything above waist line unless visibly dirty. Polish very infrequently.

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - Andrew-T

Hardly ever. Just after or during rain shower. Just rinse with lots of water and soft cloth/brush. Leave to dry, don't rub. No need for detergents or cleaners, apart from removing the occasional tar spots - not seen so much these days. A dab of petrol or white spirit is all you need for these. In winter don't bother with anything above waist line unless visibly dirty. Polish very infrequently.

Like John-F, I wash my car off when it has been rained on, so that any dusty stuff should be too soft to make scratches. In a prolonged dry spell I just keep the glass clean so that I can see out. If you have time to burn and like looking at a polished car, do that too - or you can pay the east Europeans to do it for you. But don't forget it isn't their car so they may be less careful than you.

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - sandy56

1. Find your local east european hangout

2. Pay them to wash your car.

3. Job done.

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - bathtub tom

You'll get enthusiasts telling you to use the two bucket method, clay bars and unobtanium car polish and wax.

The greens will tell you not to use microfibre cloths as they shed micro plastic.

I use a soft brush on the end of a hosepipe and a chamois leather - that'll get the detailers going. NEVER re-use anything you drop on the floor until it's been thoroughly cleaned of grit. For the same reason be careful about letting kids help - they will drop things. I also give the wheel arches and underside a good hosing, the muck that comes out will surprise you. I've got something like a glass cleaning brush to get in the nooks and crannies of ally wheels. The lockdown gave me an excuse to use some of the polish and wax in the garage I've been gifted over the years, hard work, but it makes washing the car much easier, perhaps I'll do it again in another six years.

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - focussed

Don't use brushes they scratch the paint however fine they are.

Best advice is to use a pressure washer with traffic film remover, gets the dirt off, leaves the car shiny, then use Demon Shine either through the washer or from a watering can to bead the water off.

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - bathtub tom
Best advice is to use a pressure washer

I never use a pressure washer (except on my old, off-road car). I've seen them inject water past oil seals and flood the inside of a car by overcoming door seals.

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - paul 1963

You'll get enthusiasts telling you to use the two bucket method, clay bars and unobtanium car polish and wax.

The greens will tell you not to use microfibre cloths as they shed micro plastic.

I use a soft brush on the end of a hosepipe and a chamois leather - that'll get the detailers going. NEVER re-use anything you drop on the floor until it's been thoroughly cleaned of grit. For the same reason be careful about letting kids help - they will drop things. I also give the wheel arches and underside a good hosing, the muck that comes out will surprise you. I've got something like a glass cleaning brush to get in the nooks and crannies of ally wheels. The lockdown gave me an excuse to use some of the polish and wax in the garage I've been gifted over the years, hard work, but it makes washing the car much easier, perhaps I'll do it again in another six years.

Gulp!!! being a enthusiast it's best I don't comment .....

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - edlithgow

Post covid the campus toilets have liquid hand cleanser soap dispensers, so I use a squirt of that in a bucket full of water, Seems to work quite well and I reason it might reduce the chances of me catching something off all the bird / bats***.

Dunno how long they'll be replenishing that though. Before it was available I used a bar of soap.

For a cloth I use I a Taiwanese Army Nurses Uniform Blouse (rank unknown) I found in an abandoned military hospital. This also seems to work quite well, but I;d guess it won't be readily available in the UK

If there is a hose working I hose it down, but during working hours if they see me at it they sometimes turn of the water.

(The old You can't do that because nobody does it thing).

I always park on grass when washing so the runoff goes in the ground. Greenier than thou, I bet, and a lot greenier than the commercial carwash which everyone else uses...

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - gordonbennet

I've known someone use Vim on fly squash on a (thankfully white) bonnet, matt white is unusual.

I don't neglect my cars as some here do, really chaps, they get washed regularly which stops road film ingraining into the paint and especially the alloy wheels.

More important though is to hose off the brakes especially and underbody every now and again during winter and a thorough underbody wash down once the salt has finally washed away come April after a few weeks clean rain has done its work...on that note i bet this year, with so many cars parked before seeing clean rainwater, underbody and braking mechanism corrosion will have taken a turn for the worse.

i wonder if they might be portion of spam served up shortly, feelings of deja vue

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/08/2020 at 19:10

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - Engineer Andy

Ditto.

I don't neglect my cars as some here do, really chaps, they get washed regularly which stops road film ingraining into the paint and especially the alloy wheels.

I get around that difficulty by not having much paint, and especially not having alloy wheels.

Until the Honda Accord, which had fairly good paint. Looks a lot worse since I've been driving it.

I often use narrow mountain roads with encroaching spiky tropical vegetation. Shiny paint is just a nuisance, and is wasted on me.

There is an almost empty 55 gal drum of (I think) road tar/bitumen left behind by a pointless-park construction crew (long story).

Wondering about using that to paint the sills and perhaps the bonnet on the Skywing. Bit concerned it might melt on really hot days though,

Edited by edlithgow on 13/08/2020 at 03:15

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - Andrew-T

<< Wondering about using that to paint the sills and perhaps the bonnet on the Skywing. Bit concerned it might melt on really hot days though, >>

That might just let the black goo penetrate any small crevices - probably a good thing ?

<< Wondering about using that to paint the sills and perhaps the bonnet on the Skywing. Bit concerned it might melt on really hot days though, >>

That might just let the black goo penetrate any small crevices - probably a good thing ?

Maybe up to a point, the point being when a female passenger (OK, rare, but they do happen) gets it on her clothes.

The sunflower oil / aluminium thing does a good job of rust protection and is apparently thermally stable, so I don't really need the bitumen .

Nissan Qashqai - How to wash my car? - Sofa Spud

I usually wash my car with just cold water and a sponge and then go over it with a damp chamois leather when it's almost dry.

I used to have an MPV where I couldn't easily reach all the roof. A small step-ladder or just a plastic step is useful to reach the middle of the roof, but make sure these are sitting squarely on the ground.