Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - Stiltonpie

My wife is part-exchanging her car tomorrow (4th August) and I have a question about car insurance. If she changes the insurance for tomorrow (kicks in at 00.01 tomorrow morning) is she still covered to drive the car to collect her new one?

I've tried contacting her insurers but it's all online and it takes 24 hrs for them to reply.

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - galileo

My wife is part-exchanging her car tomorrow (4th August) and I have a question about car insurance. If she changes the insurance for tomorrow (kicks in at 00.01 tomorrow morning) is she still covered to drive the car to collect her new one?

I've tried contacting her insurers but it's all online and it takes 24 hrs for them to reply.

You can't, as far as I know, have two policies for the same vehicle at the same time. If the old cover stops at 00.01 she is not covered. You need to contact the insurers to arrange a changeover time for (say) half an hour after she trades in the old car, then waits till the new cover starts.

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - _

LV certainly allow you to collect your new car and drive the old one to the handover and both cars are covered. Whenever i have phoned to tell them abot a new car they have told me that.

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - Andrew-T

<< You can't, as far as I know, have two policies for the same vehicle at the same time. >>

What you can't do is have one policy for two different vehicles. You need to terminate cover on the first car some time after you hand it over, and start another policy for the 'new' vehicle before you collect. However if your company is willing to adjust the terms of your policy from one vehicle to another on a given date there would be no problem ?

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - RT

<< You can't, as far as I know, have two policies for the same vehicle at the same time. >>

What you can't do is have one policy for two different vehicles. You need to terminate cover on the first car some time after you hand it over, and start another policy for the 'new' vehicle before you collect. However if your company is willing to adjust the terms of your policy from one vehicle to another on a given date there would be no problem ?

You can have two vehicles on one policy, as a temporary measure at changeover.- I done that every time I've changed cars.

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - Andrew-T

You can have two vehicles on one policy, as a temporary measure at changeover.- I done that every time I've changed cars.

As I suggested. I presume you have not owned both cars simultaneously.

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - diddy1234

I recently changed over cars for a brand new car and made the change online with the insurance company.

True to form, after completing payment it said the current car was covered up until the midnight the night before, yet I needed to drive the car to the dealership the next morning.

I did contact the insurance company and they said that both cars are covered on the day of switch over to which I asked 'it would be nice if your web site made it clear'.

There are plenty of people that change over cars and need the insurance to cover driving the old car to the dealership and cover the new car from when driving away.

20 odd years ago you would have had to put in a time for the insurance to switch over and hoped you didn't get stuck in traffic driving the old car to the dealership.

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - daveyjp

The policy changes vehicles at the moment you complete the handover.

Thanks for all who replied.

Changed the date for tomorrow and page reports old car will be covered up till 04.08.2020, 23:59 so happy days :)

Ford over to Renault - Changing over car insurance - _

Do come back and tell us about you new (or new to you car?)

Happy motoring.

Thanks, well the insurance change over was easy and the wife collected her car today. Looks mint and drives well but i'm not sure about the electric hand break. I may be getting old as I still prefer the manual version.

Too many lights and whistles but it's very nice. Only one issue which I've posted in the technical - no space saver wheel.....apparently all Kadjar' have a spare apart from this model due to the Bose Subwoofer in the boot. Other than that I'm a jealous guy sitting in his Honda Jazz...lol.