VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - Zippy123

No s Sherlock!

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving-1/2020-07/volkswagen-confirms-no-further-measures-planned-in-regards-to-15-tsi-issues/

And to make sure we get the message...

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/147281/have-the-problems-with-volkswagen-s-1-5-tsi-engine-been-sorted-out-

I do hope the editorial independence of the site isn't going to be too impacted by the new owners, after all, it's not like we don't trust HeyCar's 9/10 rating for the Octavia.

https://heycar.co.uk/offers/skoda?utm_source=honestjohn&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=[DIS]_[HJ]_[skodapromojuly20]_[HJhomepage]_[skin]&utm_term=&utm_context=&utm_content=?utm_source=honestjohn&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=[DIS]_[HJ]_[skodapromojuly20]_[HJhomepage]_[skin]&utm_term=&utm_context=&utm_content=

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - Avant

You can accuse a reviewer of bias if they give a car 9/10 and everyone else rates it poorly. But most road tests give the Octavia similar marks, and they too are said to be biased.

VAG is the manufacturer that some people love to hate. Some of the opprobrium they have brought on themselves - particularly if the reports are true that they've pushed out Skoda's CEO, Bernhard Maier, because he's made Skodas better than VWs.

Best to take cars as you find them. I had three Octavias in a row and all deserved 9/10.

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - Engineer Andy

You can accuse a reviewer of bias if they give a car 9/10 and everyone else rates it poorly. But most road tests give the Octavia similar marks, and they too are said to be biased.

VAG is the manufacturer that some people love to hate. Some of the opprobrium they have brought on themselves - particularly if the reports are true that they've pushed out Skoda's CEO, Bernhard Maier, because he's made Skodas better than VWs.

Best to take cars as you find them. I had three Octavias in a row and all deserved 9/10.

To be fair, just because the vast majority of 'professional journalists' give a product a good score doesn't mean it is good. The entertainment industry has been doing that for years now, and especially in the last few years - I mean, looks at the reviews for the last Star Wars film vs those from the public.

They aren't called the 'access media' for nothing, and motoring journos are certainly up for a nice bit of pampering in some nice foreign locale in return for a good review and/or a big ad buy for their media outlet. It's why I stopped trusting motoring reviews (HJ aside) in newspapers and magazines many years ago. Very few truly independent reviewers left on the 'mainsteam media' side.

That being said, the Octavia is, 1.5 TSI issue aside, a generally decent car as owners' reviews do generally match up.

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - RickyBoy

I had three Octavias in a row and all deserved 9/10.

...I had two over 20 continuous years (one for 8, one for 12) and totally agree...

...might return to Skoda next year as I possibly (unfortunately?) may need a mid-sized SUV to transport growing grandchildren!

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - De Sisti

Let the grandchildren's parents transport the children. They (the parents) do have a car, don't they?

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - catsdad

I purposely sought out one of the last Golf 2018 1.4’s when I bought last year. It was hard to find but the trade was awash with 1.5’s.

AskHJ covered the 1.5 issues regularly but the site’s reviews at the time made no mention until I pointed out the omission. This was corrected right away. Let’s hope the new regime would be just as responsive in a similar situation.

To be fair to the 'All New HJ' site, the report was balanced by saying some owners are still experiencing problems. What WILL be telling is whether any owners / Backroom members are still affected, tell them (HJ site) and whether they run a follow-up article and what it says.

We'll just have to wait and see what transpires.

To me, the issue was as much about VAG's poor customer service than it does engineering quality - inititally (to me at least) denying there even was a problem, then saying it wasn't much of one, then taking a significant amount of time to provide a 'software update' to 'fix' the problem, all the while overhauling the engine (which had only been released the year before) to add a 48V mild hybrid system that also miraculously 'cures' the problem.

I'm getting rather fed up with car manufacturers increasingly shortening the R&D testing phase of their (increasingly complex) new vehicle lineups, using punters as beta testers in order to get some new bit of tech to market first or to reduce costs / to meet some unrealistic emissions deadline from the authorities.

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - daveyK_UK
The current shape (69 plate) Octavia I had a ride in was a good car, not as much of a bargain as it has been previously (does this explain why they are not as common with the taxi trade?) but a perfectly fine car to get along with.

Saying that I wouldn’t like to own a 1.5 Tsi out of warranty; too many bad reports for it to be ‘coincidence’

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - MGspannerman

Lets just bear in mind that this is a company that has deceived, lied and cheated both its customer and regulatory authorities on an international scale. One can then interpret any statements it chooses to make in the light of that.

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - thunderbird

When we bought the Fabia late last year the Golf TSi was one we considered and from my research the consensus seemed to be that the early 1.5's with no PPF were fine, it was only when the modified them to meet the new Euro 6 regs for September 2018 (MY19 cars) that the problems began.

This was one of the reasons we snapped up the Fabia 1.0 TSi 110 PS, this was a May 2018 (MY18 car) with no PPF. To be fair the kangarooing only seems to affect the 1.5, never read about any other Euro 6 with PPF being affected.

But considering its their biggest selling engine and is fitted across most models sold by Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW you would think that they would have sorted it.

But one question still remains in my mind, why do they still use the 1.4 TSi engine in all the new plug in hybrid models?

When we bought the Fabia late last year the Golf TSi was one we considered and from my research the consensus seemed to be that the early 1.5's with no PPF were fine, it was only when the modified them to meet the new Euro 6 regs for September 2018 (MY19 cars) that the problems began.

This was one of the reasons we snapped up the Fabia 1.0 TSi 110 PS, this was a May 2018 (MY18 car) with no PPF. To be fair the kangarooing only seems to affect the 1.5, never read about any other Euro 6 with PPF being affected.

But considering its their biggest selling engine and is fitted across most models sold by Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW you would think that they would have sorted it.

A Backroomer on the news item said that the fix appeared (at least as regards their car) to work more on the 150PS version of the engine than the 130PS version.

Odd how it only ever affected the 1.5 and not others like the 1.0, etc

But one question still remains in my mind, why do they still use the 1.4 TSi engine in all the new plug in hybrid models?

Odd as well, given I read the reason why the 1.4 was dropped from the 'ordinary' range of engines was because it didn't meet the new uprated emissions regs.

I'd guess because it was used in the original Golf GTE, which came out while the 1.4 was used generally. Saved rejigging.

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - thunderbird

I'd guess because it was used in the original Golf GTE, which came out while the 1.4 was used generally. Saved rejigging.

Pretty sure the current set up is different to that used in the Mk7 Golf GTE and the Passat. I have no idea what the differences are but i remember reading that they stopped production well before the "new" GTE Passat came out last year and the Superb iv earlier this year.

Looking at the specs, both the BHP and range on the earlier Passat and Golf models were much less than that of the current models.

Pretty sure also that the basic engine block of the 1.5 is identical to the earlier 1.4. Its not been a total re-design like it was when they went from cam chain drive to belt drive in about 2013, whilst they were doing that they went from an iron engine to an alloy one.

I'm sure it was, but VAG themselves said they had to change from the 1.4 generally because it couldn't be modified economically to meet the new emissions regs for the cars that weren't like the GTE.

To me, that sounds like they made significant mods to that engine to make it work in the GTE and newer variants, which presumably cannot be adapted economically to fit the standard cars.

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - catsdad

I see from the latest Ask HJ questions that the problems resist with new cars. Fair play to the new regime in continuing to cover the issues.
My late 1.4 looks like a better deal by the day and the pricing tool still shows it to be retailing at prices close to what I paid a year ago.

We've never had a problem with SWMBO's A3 1.5 convertible: I don't know whether that's because (a) it doesn't happen so much with Audis; (b) we use super unleaded petrol; or (c) I've always believed it's kinder to an engine to start the engine first, then put on the seat belt - thus giving the engine a moment to settle before driving off.

If anyone is still having this problem, start with (c) first.

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - DavidGlos
What does ‘engine is now gut!’ mean?
VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - primus 1

What does ‘engine is now gut!’ mean?

gut is German for good, so vw are now saying their engines are now good, after all the issues they’ve had, that’s how I see it anyway

Edited by primus 1 on 26/09/2020 at 11:29

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - DavidGlos
That makes sense Primus. Let’s see if it proves to be true!
VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - groaver

www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/08/vw-issues-stop-s.../

Oh dear! 1.5 petrol engine and 7 speed DSG. What a combination!

VW owned company says VW 1.5 engine is now gut! - NowWheels

The big picture with the VW group is fairly simple.

They paid out billions in fines and compensation for their leading role in the DieselGate scandal. Then they invested many more billions in their move to electrification. That adds up to many tens of billions, so for several years they have been cutting costs and cutting corners.

It's clear from the reviews of their EVs that they haven't been able to put in enough cash to do the job well. There are glaring signs of underdeveloped software, and of cost-cutting in interior quality.

Those EVs are what VW sees as its future, and they are probably right about that. The fact that they are cost-cutting on their priority projects is a big warning that they are they are going to be economising even more severely elsewhere.

So their ICE cars are the starved poor child of the family. The cash isn't there to fix the problems or to compensate customers for the failures, so the stonewalling is inevitable. Those who put their money into those neglected products are walking into trouble.

Edited by NowWheels on 12/08/2021 at 22:09