AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Reggiebolt

Me and the wife have decided to consolidate our cars, we have a sporty car for the summer but we now want a car that can be used for long journeys and can do some off-roading and hopefully we can camp in it.

I can be flexible on the box, i will go manual if i have to. I would also go LPG but this may make camping in the back problematic due to the LPG tank.

I have been looking at - Audi all roads but the MPG is not great - Nissan x trails - Nissan Qashqais - but the space in the back is poor.

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - badbusdriver

Me and the wife have decided to consolidate our cars, we have a sporty car for the summer but we now want a car that can be used for long journeys and can do some off-roading and hopefully we can camp in it.

I can be flexible on the box, i will go manual if i have to. I would also go LPG but this may make camping in the back problematic due to the LPG tank.

I have been looking at - Audi all roads but the MPG is not great - Nissan x trails - Nissan Qashqais - but the space in the back is poor.

Wow, not asking for much are you!, all that for £3k?.

Don't really think this is viable myself, anything big enough to camp in, and go off road, for £3k is basically just going to be a huge pile of bills waiting to happen. Even if you doubled the budget, i'd still think there was very little chance of fulfilling your requirements.

If you want something to camp in, which will be reasonably reliable (in theory), reasonably efficient and comfortable on a long drive, get something like this;

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200705088...1

And if you need to go off road, put your walking boots on!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/07/2020 at 17:55

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - gordonbennet

If an Audi Allroad would be big enough, a possible alternative would be Subaru Outback, neither are true offroaders though obviously capable of going places normal cars couldn't get to.

Mitsi Outlander a bit bigger plus its Peugeot/Citroen clones, when you start getting up to full size 4x4s you get more room but fuel economy gets worse, if you accept that then some often overlooked but perfectly decent offroaders can be bought cheaply, eg Sorento, Terracan, Terrano even the SsangYong models.

Toyota/Mitsi large 4x4's will be very old at £3k, whilst they might be perfectly sound mechanically our addiction to covering the country in salt for no good reason means terminal corrosion.

Chances are you'll be going Diesel if you go large, petrol versions very rare, and keep in mind all the larger 4x4s especially (and even the 3.0 litre petrol Outback, 2.4 petrol Outlander and V6 Freelander 1) fall into highest VED bands, so watch out for the cut off reg date of March 06, those regd after will cost you dearly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/07/2020 at 18:31

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Trilogy.

Think you'll have to go Japanese and probably compromise with one of your requirements. Depends how much space you want and how much off road ability. A petrol Nissan X-Trail, like you've mentioned, could fit the bill. perhaps Subaru Legacy Outback. too. The latter lacks space, could be reliable - no guarantees at this price point. Go for low owners and full service history/great MOT history. How many miles do you expect to do?

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Will deBeast

What about a mazda bongo?

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - lucklesspedestrian

I was going to suggest that too. The 2.5l diesel 4x4 Bongo would do the job with good tyres on it. Pleasant enough for tootling about town and on the motorway too. You would probably be okay with a tin-top too rather than the raised roof jobbies which are bit more expensive/thirsty. Great onlinine community too with Bongo Fury and the facebook page. Be aware that the Ford Freda is essentially the same vehicle. Agree with BBD though, don't think you can get anything decent for a 3K budget.

I guess it also depends on what the OP means by 'camp in it'. If this just means sleep in it, then any car with a long and flat enough platform to lie down on would do. But if you wanted to do anything else, such as get changed for example, an estate car (like the Allroad) is not going to have enough interior height. Not saying it would be impossible mind, but it wouldn't be very practical or dignified!.

None of the suggestions offered save perhaps an Outlander (or one of its clones) is going to do any more MPG than an Allroad fitted with the 2.5 turbo diesel, and the OP has discounted that due to poor fuel economy(!). Ironic really, as while the MPG isn't exceptional it isn't that bad, and more importantly, compared with the costs involved when the air suspension packs up, well that would be the least of your worries!.

BTW, the Outlander, in terms of length, is a smaller car than both the Allroad and Outback (though i'd guess it would have greater interior height)

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - barney100

when I bought a camper van a few years ago I was told the Bongo diesel had engine issues. ended up with a Toyota Hi Ace which was good apart from being on heavy on fuel.

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - corax

Or a mitsubishi delicious

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - thunderbird

We are talking about really old vehicles here and in reality none are likely to be totally reliable. If you are planning long trips in one is this a desirable feature?

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - pd

Your off roading is a challenger as you're looking at old and leggy 4x4s.

If I just wanted something cheap and large with loads of space which was comfy on a long drive I'd probably look at a Ford S-Max or Galaxy. £3k will get you a working one and they are huge.

I'd go for a Volvo XC70 over an Allroad - I wouldn't buy a £3k All road particularly with the 2.5 V6 diesel. They drink like a fish and are high on maintenance. £3k should get you a nice 2000-2008 model XC70 with a D5 engine or a leggy not so nice 2008-2016 model.

Edited by pd on 12/07/2020 at 11:27

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - nellyjak

That;s a big ask for 3k as has been said,,,if it wasn't for the off-road element I'd suggest the Toyota Previa.

I agree that Japanese is probably the best way to go.

Be careful of rust on any Bongo of the age you'll probably be looking at.

Edited by nellyjak on 12/07/2020 at 12:38

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - barney100

Suggest a trailer tent or just camping equipment. I've had a camper van and even old money-it's are expensive.

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Brit_in_Germany

For space and price, a Renault Kangoo might be worth a look. Also, kits are available to turn the back into a mini camper with a full size sleeping area. As to reliability, well it is a Renault.

when I bought a camper van a few years ago I was told the Bongo diesel had engine issues. ended up with a Toyota Hi Ace which was good apart from being on heavy on fuel.

They do, head gasket issues caused by overheating. As for fuel economy, none of those Japanese pickup based MPV's are particularly efficient, but at least the Hiace (+Granvia/Regus) have that Toyota reliability. I have actually read that you may aswell go for a V6 petrol Bongo, which is more reliable, not much less efficient, but much more pleasant to drive!. Had a look at one a few years ago with my Dad who was interested in buying one. Wasn't impressed, and not just that the one he was looking at was a dog(!), but as a camper, having the engine under the front seats means that you can't easily get from the front to the back without getting out of the vehicle. But also, as others have mentioned, Bongo's are pretty bad for rust, especially the older ones which are the only examples likely to be anywhere near 3k.

For space and price, a Renault Kangoo might be worth a look. Also, kits are available to turn the back into a mini camper with a full size sleeping area. As to reliability, well it is a Renault.

As for the Kangoo, the only way you'd get a 'full sized sleeping area' in one of those would be asuming you had a pair of those trick front seats who's backrest folds forward to become an extension of the (less than 1.5m) load area, and decided against any sort of cupboard and storage along the side to reduce the interior width (which 1.2m maximum, hardly full sized, for two). Not that i think the Kangoo is any worse an idea than a £3k Audi Allroad!.

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Brit_in_Germany

OK, not a full size double bed but the length is OK at 1.95m. On the width, you have to be on good terms at 1.13 m.

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Trilogy.

Until the OP comes back and clarifies what's required it's a waste of time responding to this thread.

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - edlithgow

Here in Taiwan this would be a Mitsubishi Delica or a Toyota Zace, the latter not available in the UK.

The verdict of a local expert on the Bongo/Econovan was "Junk. Horrid Junk".

Re the standard estate route, if the OP was prepered to build something, he might take James May's "roof rocket"as a starting point.

https://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/motorhomes-challenge-part-13-series-15-episode-4

IF this had been extended rearwards a bit, with a drop down floor "bucket, something close to standing headroom would have been achieved,in a small area at the rear

My Romahome camper back, on a tiny Honda TN550 Actyvan,truck was roughly that configuration, astonishingly space efficient and very comfortable

Edited by edlithgow on 15/07/2020 at 16:41

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Sulphur Man

2008-2010 Renault Koleos. You should be able to find a 178bhp privilege spec for under £3K. It will be manual, the 6-speed autos are very rare and usually marked up in price.

Yes, it's a Renault. But in styling only. Engineered and developed by Nissan, built in South Korea by Samsung. Chain-cam 2.0dci is strong and smooth. It has bags of room, and is known as a very good tow car - 360mn torque. Lovely ride quality.

Yes, I have one. 118K miles and going strong. 2008 model.

Now then.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-KOLEOS-2-0-DIESEL-AUTO-TOP-SPEC-SAT-NAV-4WD-ONLY-101K-2-OWNER-NOT-XTRAIL/224059864634?hash=item342b02363a:g:XfEAAOSwrIRe91QJ

AWD/4WD/camper/economical/auto for 3k max? - Archie35

I was very interested by this, and the link you copied - which is only 20 miles or so from me. It's not a car I know anything about, but you are quite convicing in your description, and as we live deep in the countryside with really bumpy, narrow lanes, something like this might be a good option for us. I might even follow up the ebay link. Did you ever have any DPF issues in your car - it seems to be something mentioned in the user reviews as one of the more frequent faults. Any other tips for things to look out for in Koleos of this age? Thanks!

No DPF issues so far

I've posted updates on this car since purchase, as a case study for the forum on someone taking a risk on an older DPF-equipped diesel at an attractive used price.

For a 2.0 diesel with a rather rubbish 209g/km emissions rating, I'm not sure the DPF is that important!

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=132411