Seat Ibiza - Rear Brake Discs Faulty? - IbizaOwner182

Hi there, hoping someone can help!

New 20 plate SEAT Ibiza done about 800miles. I’ve noticed both rear brake discs have some gouges in and find it odd for the age of the car and barely driving over any stoney paths that a stone/dirt could hit both rear brakes but both front discs are immaculate. I haven’t heard any noises during my time in the car. I’ve booked into the SEAT dealership next week for them to take a look but they have said they’ll charge £79 if they don’t believe it comes under the warranty. Anybody able to help advise on whether something could be mis-aligned etc. Or do you think it’s just bad luck and come under ‘wear and tear’. Pictures here.

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you in advance!.

Edited by IbizaOwner182 on 10/07/2020 at 19:58

Seat Ibiza - Rear Brake Discs Faulty? - gordonbennet

Thats just minor scoring and i'd leave them be, if you end stumping up for new discs by the time you've covered another 800 miles they will be just the same.

Fronts do the lions share of braking so with every application of the brakes any dirt thrown onto the discs or pads gets swept off, the rears do so little work in some cases even common rust build up barely gets cleaned off.

Not part of the question, but this is one of the reasons i'd rather drum rear brakes on standard cars, you can remove drums after 80k miles and find not a single scratch on the friction surfaces.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/07/2020 at 20:11

Seat Ibiza - Rear Brake Discs Faulty? - IbizaOwner182

Thats just minor scoring and i'd leave them be, if you end stumping up for new discs by the time you've covered another 800 miles they will be just the same.

Fronts do the lions share of braking so with every application of the brakes any dirt thrown onto the discs or pads gets swept off, the rears do so little work in some cases even common rust build up barely gets cleaned off.

Not part of the question, but this is one of the reasons i'd rather drum rear brakes on standard cars, you can remove drums after 80k miles and find not a single scratch on the friction surfaces.

Thank you everyone for your messages, I’m going to take your advice and leave it as it seems no obvious reasons other than dirt and stones. Thanks again everyone, super useful forum and will definitely contributing where I can in the future.
Seat Ibiza - Rear Brake Discs Faulty? - John F

They look pretty normal to me. Perhaps a tiny sharp stone responsible for the particularly noticeable gouge. I've just looked at our nine month old 3000 mile Peugeot 2008 discs, and they look much the same - fronts a bit smoother than the rears, although the rear ones don't look as pitted as yours. Perhaps Peugeot specify better quality steel for their discs?

Seat Ibiza - Rear Brake Discs Faulty? - Andrew-T

Steel or cast iron ? I suspect solid (non-vented) disks may be the latter, so maybe softer.

Seat Ibiza - Rear Brake Discs Faulty? - galileo

Rear discs on my 11 year old 75,,000 miles i30 are still smooth and gouge free, as are the fronts.

One factor may be that rear calipers are to the front of disc and front calipers are at the rear of the disc on the i30,

Seat Ibiza - Rear Brake Discs Faulty? - John F

Steel or cast iron ? I suspect solid (non-vented) disks may be the latter, so maybe softer.

Good question. Apparently they will be a certain grade of 'grey iron' .