Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Steveieb

So a Sunday paper has got hold of the statistics using a FOI request.

And Dacia come off worse at 21%

And Lexus RX comes out best at 5% failure rate.

But one argument may be the Dacia owners like the ones I know have very little interest in cars and buy the cheapest new car and hope it will look after itself.

Whereas the Lexus owner has a lot invested in the car so look after it but on the other hand it is really a Toyota underneath.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - badbusdriver

But one argument may be the Dacia owners like the ones I know have very little interest in cars and buy the cheapest new car and hope it will look after itself.

Whereas the Lexus owner has a lot invested in the car so look after it but on the other hand it is really a Toyota underneath.

That is certainly possible, but i'm not sure i'd agree. I very much doubt a Lexus owner is any more interested in his/her car than a Dacia owner. I think in the case of the Lexus it is simply down to better quality. But i'd be interested to learn what Dacia's were failing on, i'd guess it wouldn't be particularly major fails requiring an expensive repair?. I do remember reading that earlier Dacia's were prone to rusting but i think they sorted that out.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - daveyjp

That is certainly possible, but i'm not sure i'd agree. I very much doubt a Lexus owner is any more interested in his/her car than a Dacia owner. I think in the case of the Lexus it is simply down to better quality. But i'd be interested to learn what Dacia's were failing on, i'd guess it wouldn't be particularly major fails requiring an expensive repair?. I do remember reading that earlier Dacia's were prone to rusting but i think they sorted that out.

Lots of cars fail on an item no one can check accurately themselves. Headlamp beam alignment.

A lot of cars may leave the factory with it incorrectly set, but it takes three years to find out.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - dan86

Could also be the fact a lexus cost for more and it purchased by more affluent individuals who can afford better maintenance whilst a Dacia is seen as bargain basement motoring

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Falkirk Bairn

A few years back a neighbour's 3 series failed its first MoT

No water in the washer bottle.

Re-tested & it passed - cost was an extra £5.00 or so for BMW screenwash!

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - gordonbennet

Lexus arn't a typical upmarket brand choice in my humble, you don't exactly see them 3 deep in what used to be the corporate car park filled with German brands before the covid economic reset, maybe not so many company cars have the L badge so is it possible more L users are private owners? equals fewer miles than the typical company car brands and more interest in looking after the far from cheap vehicle.

As said, we need a breakdown of failure points.

A person could also wonder if the dealership is carrying out the first MOT test, it would make sense to service and check the car and then MOT it for obvious sensible reasons...case in point just before the MOT i found a CV boot split on my Toyota which i couldn't be bothered to fix myself so asked my indy who was MOTing it to fix, now anyone with an ounce of sense would have fixed the split boot before MOTing it, but my indy for some odd reason MOTd it first so now a failure is on its history for no good reason, which was rather disappointing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/07/2020 at 05:45

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - bathtub tom
my indy for some odd reason MOTd it first so now a failure is on its history for no good reason, which was rather disappointing.

It's been reported MOT testing stations do this as it looks suspicious if they have too many clean passes.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - gordonbennet

It's been reported MOT testing stations do this as it looks suspicious if they have too many clean passes.

Can't say as that's improved my annoyance with them BT, dare say you're on the money though.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Andrew-T

<< Lots of cars fail on an item no one can check accurately themselves. Headlamp beam alignment. >>

I guess quite a few fail with tyres below legal limit ? But yes, the empty washer bottle is one of the silly ones. My indy would spend several minutes making a rear numberplate lamp work for my 205s to pass.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - madf

Most Lexuses are serviced by Lexus dealers... who get very good rating for service.

Dacias? May be serviced by anyone ...

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - thunderbird

In a report I read sometime ago which was basically saying 3 year old cars are rubbish since a vast number fail their MOT's virtually every MOT failure was down to the owner not doing the regular checks. Tyres below legal limit, blown bulbs, no washer fluid, knackered wiper blades etc, are the owners blind, stupid or both.

Perhaps if they stopped giving a free re-test for such basic items owners would start to check more often.

As for Lexus and Dacia, I suspect that your average Lexus owner is unlikely to check the car any more frequently than a Dacia owner but it the Dacias are failing of the above items it is probable proof that some of the parts they use are of poor quality.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Engineer Andy

So a Sunday paper has got hold of the statistics using a FOI request.

And Dacia come off worse at 21%

And Lexus RX comes out best at 5% failure rate.

Other than the obvious things about general engineering quality, I'd suspect quite a bit also has to do with the number of diesels a make sells - not many for the likes of Toyota/Lexus compared to the EU brands.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Will deBeast

I can believe the difference.

When I changed the headlamp bulbs on my landcruiser, the terminals were coated in dielectric grease and had a close fitting rubber cover. Although the car was eight years old, none of the bulbs had ever failed (I was simply upgrading them to get some more light).

When I changed the headlamp bulbs on my landcruiser, the terminals were coated in dielectric grease and had a close fitting rubber cover. Although the car was eight years old, none of the bulbs had ever failed (I was simply upgrading them to get some more light).

Ditto Honda Jazz..

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - dan86

Ditto Honda Jazz..

Our 10 year old suzuki is still on its original bulbs bar one Brake light bulb that blew 2 years ago

Although the car was eight years old, none of the bulbs had ever failed

Even my 12-year-old Pug 207 is on its original bulbs - except for one headlamp unit which was replaced after a modest collision .... and original everything else apart from tyres and brake parts.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Clk GD

Even my 12-year-old Pug 207 is on its original bulbs - except for one headlamp unit which was replaced after a modest collision .... and original everything else apart from tyres and brake parts.

My almost 18 years old Mazda is still on it's original bulbs, and it's original exhaust.

Batteries, well that's a different story...

Edited by Clk GD on 11/07/2020 at 14:04

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Terry W

These are three year old cars. No car, no matter how lowly, should fail MoT on basic engineering quality - suspension, corrosion, steering, brake faults would be unlikely.

Simple issues related to owner checks are far more likely - bulbs out, washer fluid, tyres worn or incorrectly inflated.

Lexus is bought by the well heeled (possibly company funded) who would (a) run it into the dealer for minor faults, and (b) get it dealer serviced and MoT. The typical Lexus dealer as part of the service regime would no doubt replace blown bulbs etc - they may even ensure that the car passes by doing a pre MoT service and/or check. Gets them brownie points in the reliability and quality stakes!.

Dacia are bought by the impoverished but want a new car, or pragmatic to get from A to B at lowest cost and not interested. They will have less money to spend on servicing and may miss it completely.

No real surprise at the outcome!

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Brit_in_Germany

We are thinking about a Dacia at the moment. It is not only impoverished people who buy them - the other half has developed 'eco' tendencies and the CNG option is ringing the right bells.

These are three year old cars. No car, no matter how lowly, should fail MoT on basic engineering quality - suspension, corrosion, steering, brake faults would be unlikely.

Simple issues related to owner checks are far more likely - bulbs out, washer fluid, tyres worn or incorrectly inflated.

Lexus is bought by the well heeled (possibly company funded) who would (a) run it into the dealer for minor faults, and (b) get it dealer serviced and MoT. The typical Lexus dealer as part of the service regime would no doubt replace blown bulbs etc - they may even ensure that the car passes by doing a pre MoT service and/or check. Gets them brownie points in the reliability and quality stakes!.

Dacia are bought by the impoverished but want a new car, or pragmatic to get from A to B at lowest cost and not interested. They will have less money to spend on servicing and may miss it completely.

Errrrr No they are Not three year old cars.

They are cars ranging to nine years old...

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - thunderbird

Errrrr No they are Not three year old cars.

They are cars ranging to nine years old...

Read the thread title, just to remind you Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test. Since the first test is at 3 years old I think its 100% certain that the cars in question are 3 years old.

There are probably other categories in the report for car up to 9 years old.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - galileo

A mate of mine is on his second Lexus. The dealer collects his car when it is due for a service, takes it to their emporium 15 miles away in Bradford and returns it to his door.

Very satisfied with Lexus service, if other dealers are of the same standard this goes some way to accounting for the good MOT record.

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - John F

My almost 18 years old Mazda is still on it's original bulbs, and it's original exhaust.

Our old Focus estate will make it to 20yrs old with only three fails, all after 16yrs old for easily fixed corrosion (if you don't believe it, check X84NJB). I can only ever remember replacing a stop/tail bulb. Exhaust is original, but its middle support welded bracket has failed - again. I shall repair it myself with a £13 hanger from ebay. Amazingly, all its suspension bushes, brake pipes and CV boots are original too!

Our 17 year old Toyota D4D is on its original exhaust. Minimal corrosion (due to repainting every 4-5 years)

Light bulbs were upgraded 2006.. bulbs unchanged since

One rear spring, heater resistor, driver's window mechanism repaired foc, new glowplugs, numerous sets of front AR Bushes..new front disks and pads.. err....

Dacia and Lexus - MOT Pass or Fail at First Test - Engineer Andy

Batteries, well that's a different story...

You and me both mate! My 14yo Mazda3 is still on its original exhaust, bulbs, etc, but yesterday the battery failed - in its usual 4-5 year lifespan window, and so the RAC had to come out and replace it with a nice Bosch unit (c/w 5 year warranty) for £140. This is now (including the original one) the car's 4th battery. And mine was used essentially as normal throughout lockdown.

Still, apart from it taking a while for the chap to source one (I suspect most of his callouts were for that, so him not having a compatible one was understandable), but quick and easy to diagnose and fit the new one. 3 hours from first call to completion (including him driving to the nearest depot for the battery and back [about 75 mins in itself]) - not bad, given the current circumstances, and mine being a low priority callout (being at home and not in any danger or a vulnerable person).

Even the reprogramming of the ICE took less than 5 mins, nothing else do apart from the car re-learning all its engine mode settings on the way to my (now non-shielding) parents' house.

A shame that my last MOT and service back in late December did not flag up any issues with the battery - normally I get a decent amount of warning that it is on its way out - a flag on the service that it's beginning not to full take and keep its charge and then slowly getting more difficult to start - this time the 'warning' I got was the two last starts sounded a bit 'off' (still both first time), which have, in the past, been associated with the hot weather.

Still, can't really complain that much, given the lack of other non-wear and tear failures over the years, and it has (touch wood) always passed its MOT.

I'll mark my callender on my email package for 4 years time for a reminder about the battery, assuming I still own the car!

<< This is now (including the original one) the car's 4th battery. And mine was used essentially as normal throughout lockdown. >>

Why do you think this is happening ? My Pug diesel still has its 12-year-old battery, tho each winter I wait for it to fail. It sounds less vigorous than it did, but with mild winters it still makes it through to spring.