any - Power sapped by A/C - dan86

After getting the A/C compressor replaced in my car and enjoying the ice cold air once again I was wondering how much power is drawn from the engine to power this wonderful invention?

I always have driven with it turned on summer or winter and when it wasn't working I can't say that I noticed any difference in power or fuel consumption from the 120 hp engine but you don't get something for nothing even if the power consumption is minimal.

Edited by dan86 on 02/07/2020 at 20:55

any - Power sapped by A/C - Metropolis.
This will vary from car to car, and the era the car is from. As Jay Leno often points out, the old 50s and 60d American cars had absolutely huge ac compressors and the power loss was noticeable albeit the big engines could handle it with ease. Newer cars have much more efficient systems, although in my opinion they are not as cold as they were in the good old days!

Could you give some details on your car? It might even be possible to say exactly how much hp it uses.

I also run mine all year round, easiest maintenance you can do with an ac system and you don’t get a nasty surprise turning it on in summer to find it broken.
This will vary from car to car, and the era the car is from. As Jay Leno often points out, the old 50s and 60d American cars had absolutely huge ac compressors and the power loss was noticeable albeit the big engines could handle it with ease. Newer cars have much more efficient systems, although in my opinion they are not as cold as they were in the good old days! Could you give some details on your car? It might even be possible to say exactly how much hp it uses. I also run mine all year round, easiest maintenance you can do with an ac system and you don’t get a nasty surprise turning it on in summer to find it broken.

Its a 2010 suzuki sx4 with the 1.6 vvt m16a engine. I would guess its only a few hp draws i'm just curious seeing as it doesn't affect power or fuel consumption or doesn't seem to at least

any - Power sapped by A/C - ifekas

The power consumption depends on loads of factors including ambient temperature, type of journey, etc. In my experience, one may notice a difference in small cars with lower powered petrol engines; but in general I haven't noticed any difference, and life is too short to worry about. They used to say that when driving at speed it was more efficient to have a/c on vs having windows slightly open, but I think that is not always the case.

The situation may be different for those who drive plug-in electric cars in the reduction of range, but as I don't have one I can't comment.

any - Power sapped by A/C - Big John

Clearly there must be an overhead but I've never really noticed any difference with aircon on/ off on my 2014 Skoda Superb mkII be it performance or economy - and yes it does blow cold!

My previous 2003 Superb mk I used to have a slight squeal from the compressor drive belt after an aircon service/regas when the compressor was turned on. It was the old fashioned type clutch operated compressor (all or nothing!). Still didn't make much difference to the economy though.

You do notice the aircon compressor kicking in on my wife’s 2006 Fiat Panda (also clutch controlled) which I must admit has the best climate control I’ve encountered - on a hot summers day it’s like a meat locker leaving home by the time we get to the end of the street!

Edited by Big John on 02/07/2020 at 22:32

any - Power sapped by A/C - bathtub tom

I once had a rental K12 Micra in Spain and used the a/c as a retarder on long downhill sections - yes, it was that noticeable. Only car that I've ever noticed the power consumption.

any - Power sapped by A/C - catsdad

I have had AC cars since 1992 and in the early days there was a small but noticeable drop in power and idling revs when it was used. I have never noticed this with a later car. However this could be because there are adjustments made by electronics to mask the effect.

I seem to recall that HJ used to say that it was more economical to use the AC than drive at speed with it off and the windows down.

any - Power sapped by A/C - nellyjak

Doesn't seem to make much difference these days...tbh in my 3 litre V6 Estima you simply can't tell..but back 20 years ago when I had a 4.3 litre V6 Chevy Astro I understood that it took 5hp when on..and you could certainly feel..and hear.. the difference.

Edited by nellyjak on 03/07/2020 at 07:41

any - Power sapped by A/C - jc2

Modern ECU's will turn off the A/c momentarily whilst you accelerate.

any - Power sapped by A/C - drd63

Not on my 2016 Toyota Aygo. A/C worked well but you really feel the effect on performance.

any - Power sapped by A/C - RT

Not on my 2016 Toyota Aygo. A/C worked well but you really feel the effect on performance.

The Aygo, and its C1/107/108 siblings are built for simplicity, and all the better for it, but sophisticated they aren't.

any - Power sapped by A/C - focussed

I recall the results of a test that came to the conclusion that using air-con at low speeds around town will affect fuel economy to the tune of 2 to 3 mpg, but at motorway cruise speeds there was no noticeable effect.

any - Power sapped by A/C - badbusdriver

I'm surprised at this, we used to have a Daihatsu Sirion 1.0 (same mechanical bits as the Aygo), and while having the a/c on did make a difference, it wasn't that much.

any - Power sapped by A/C - thunderbird

On the first car we had with A/C at idle you could feel (and slightly hear) the compressor cutting in and out plus ate motorways speeds you could feel the car holding back slightly as the compressor cycled.

But that was with a bog standard A/C system.

Both our current cars have climate control which even when its turned on only runs when it needs to cool the incoming air to achieve the selected interior temp. Because of this it in reality never runs in winter even if its turned on.

We did notice a small loss of fuel economy with the bog standard system but with climate any difference is barely measurable.

But remember one fact, if it adds 2 mpg onto your running costs over a year and 10,000 miles that is only an additional 8 gallons of petrol which at current prices is around £50. If you do not use your air con and the seals dry out it will cost far more than that to repair it.

I recall the results of a test that came to the conclusion that using air-con at low speeds around town will affect fuel economy to the tune of 2 to 3 mpg, but at motorway cruise speeds there was no noticeable effect.

Depends when that test was done - many modern a/c compressors are more efficient at part-load than older ones.

any - Power sapped by A/C - Engineer Andy

I remember hearing an average figure of about a 5% loss in power, which presumably for your average C-sector car translates into about the figure you quote for mpg when driven the same with and without the A/C on and no windows open.

The extra airflow across the A/C condenser when travelling at high speed will inevtably help the system reject more heat and thus reduce the load on the engine.

That mpg loss seems to match what I get in my 14yo Mazda3, which is a typical C-sector car. Newer ones probably fair a bit better due to improvements in the technology.

My usual rule of thumb was open all the doors for a minute of two when getting in the car in really hot weather, then all windows when first driving below 40mph (wind resistance to great above and would cost more in mpg than to turn the A/C on) until the temperature inside stabilises, then shut all windows and turn the A/C on - on auto on climate controlled ones, and max cooling & vent speed/recirc for manual A/C systems, until the temperature cam down to what you want it, then adjust and switch over to external air.

any - Power sapped by A/C - edlithgow

I once had a rental K12 Micra in Spain and used the a/c as a retarder on long downhill sections - yes, it was that noticeable. Only car that I've ever noticed the power consumption.

Regenerative cooling.

Nice

If I'd thought of that I might have started using mine when I got the car. (It was demonstrated as working by the seller)

Probably too late now

Regenerative cooling.

Nice

If I'd thought of that I might have started using mine when I got the car. (It was demonstrated as working by the seller)

Probably too late now

I try the same thing out on my 2005/6 Mazda3 to see if it makes much of a difference - mainly avoiding using it (only occasionally when the cars loaded up) on long, steep upslopes on the motorway and turning it back on when going down the other side.

It makes a small difference, but not that much. I can see how it would do more on a small car with a less powerful engine.

any - Power sapped by A/C - Pinstripe

Yes, I have a 1-litre/3-cylinder town car with a feeble 60-70lbft of torque and either the aircon or alternator charging* give quite good engine braking down hills.

Their drag is enough that I often need to drive the car in a gear lower than normal when cruising.

* I know when the alternator is charging because I have a set of LEDs plugged in the 12v socket which light up different ones depending on the electrical system voltage.

any - Power sapped by A/C - diddy1234

There are two types of AC liquid.

The older liquid is R134a which has been used for the last 20 years.

Its harder to pump than the newer liquid but is not flammable (unlike the new liquid R1234yf).

The new liquid came into use on new cars from 2006

So the older liquid had a larger drain on power from the engine.

Hence small engined cars like my 0.9l Stepway have no issues.

that being said, I did plug an odb reader on my car and had a dial showing engine load.

On tick over each time the clutch cycled in for the aircon, the load temporarily spiked at 51% then dropped and settled at 32%. then dropped to zero as the clutch disengaged the aircon pump.

And this is with the newer liquid, id hate to think how the engine would cope with the older R134a liquid

Edited by diddy1234 on 03/07/2020 at 10:21

any - Power sapped by A/C - Steveieb

How much did your new compressor cost Dan.

A replacement for My A4 B5 cost £980 from Audi and effectively writes the car off withe the total bill costing £1200 if successful.

In total with all the work it came in at £575. The compressor was a brand new one not a reconditioned one and that was the bulk of the cost at over £300. I was more than willing to pay it to cool cool air in the car in summer months and dehumidifying benefits in winter.

The car owes me nothing and I can see it lasting 5 more years at least so money well spent.

I;ve seen an average figure of 20% increase in fuel consumption in use quoted a few times, though I can't remember if a source was given. Clearly it must vary a lot.

Mine doesn't cost anything to run, because I don't use it, and the drive belt has come off, though I suppose hauling the weight around costs something.

Should take it off really, but then I'd have the ethical dilemma of venting any remaining refrigerant to atmosphere, or taking it to a Taiwanese mechanic for recovery, who would then vent it to atmosphere.

Apparently you can re-purpose the compressor for on-board air, popul;ar with Jeepnicks, and almost as macho as having a bull bar.

any - Power sapped by A/C - Steveieb

Here is my quote.

https://in.xero.com/0UjdEUhbvRr6ximEt7VHymkoXyARW7vEieyfS76P?utm_source=email

Maybe your car was a bit simpler but this effectively wrote my car off.

Maybe Elekie Doc would like to comment as he has been involved some time ago

Here is my quote.

Depends where you took your car was it a main dealer? My local indi did it in less than 2 hours and charged me less than 2 hours labour. He didn't charge me for a re gas though as he had done one at the beginning of the moth shortly befor the compressor failed.

Here is my quote.

Depends where you took your car was it a main dealer? My local indi did it in less than 2 hours and charged me less than 2 hours labour. He didn't charge me for a re gas though as he had done one at the beginning of the moth shortly befor the compressor failed.

Very generous and honourable of them. Kudos to your local indie.

he believes he's reputation is worth more than a quick profit.

Good reputation = almost no advertising needed, as satisfied customers recommend them to friends and family. A pity many other businesses (especially some long-standing ones on the high street) don't take that attitude.

Good reputation = almost no advertising needed, as satisfied customers recommend them to friends and family. A pity many other businesses (especially some long-standing ones on the high street) don't take that attitude.

He's always busy with 2 or 3 cars on the go, Majority of the time he's on his own but on the odd occasion has an extra pair of hands.

Here is my quote.

any - Power sapped by A/C - Big John

I;ve seen an average figure of 20% increase in fuel consumption in use quoted a few times, though I can't remember if a source was given.

With my manual aircon 2014 Skoda Superb (1.4tsi) cruising on a flat road with cruise control on - the instantanious mpg hardy varies comparing aircon off to aircon on - sometimes you minght see a drop of 0.1mpg but usually the figure doesn't change. For a while when I first got my Superb I was sad enough to log my MPG using Spritmonitor and the figures were more or less the same whether air con was being used or turned off.

Is this quoted 20% figure from the same green source that is wheeled out from time to time that TV's use 10% of their power on standby? - utter rubbish.These sort of figures may have been closer to the mark decades ago.

Edited by Big John on 04/07/2020 at 21:07

Is this quoted 20% figure from the same green source that is wheeled out from time to time that TV's use 10% of their power on standby? - utter rubbish.These sort of figures may have been closer to the mark decades ago.

It was possibly true back then - but cars (and TVs) improve over time

It was possibly true back then - but cars (and TVs) improve over time

Majority of TVs don't come with an off switch nowadays just the power button on the remote. I can't remember what the quoted stand by power consumption of our TV brought in 2018 but I remember it being miniscule something like a few wats.

Edited by dan86 on 05/07/2020 at 07:55

I;ve seen an average figure of 20% increase in fuel consumption in use quoted a few times, though I can't remember if a source was given.

Sorry, I suppose "I can't remember if a source was given" was a bit obscure.

Let me explain.

"I can't remember if a source was given" means "I can't remember if a source was given"

This means it isn't appropriate to ask me about the source.

Or TV's, for that matter. I don't have a TV.

Similarly, I dont have a modern aircon system which apparently can access FREE ENERGY using WEIRD ALIEN SCIENCE.

You apparently believe you do.

Congratulations.

Perpetual motion machines aside, 20% does sound a bit high . I'd guess what was quoted as an average is probably in fact a worst case historical figure based on US conditions,.

Most things are.

A quick Google finds

"An air-conditioning (a/c) system can increase fuel consumption by up to 20% because of the extra load on the engine." from Natural Resources Canada, which tends to support that guess.

In my case (low powered 1986 933cc 3-cyl engined car operating in extreme heat and insolation conditions, not the balmy UK summer, where I can't remember missing aircon ever) 20% might be rather optimistic, if I was sufficiently motivated to try and revive my aircon system.

That is tempting, but its not really a DIY proposition, at least not here, so I'd have to let a (probably sn*****ing) Taiwanese mechanic work on my car.

Probably not going to happen.

Edited by edlithgow on 05/07/2020 at 10:56

A bit more background on the BIG AMERICAN numbers.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hotweather.shtml

"Under very hot conditions, AC use can reduce a conventional vehicle's fuel economy by more than 25%, particularly on short trips. The AC's effect on hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles (EVs) can be even larger on a percentage basis.""

The sources given for these BIG AMERICAN numbers.are:-

1. Huff S.P., B.H. West, and J.F. Thomas. 2013. Effects of Air Conditioner Use on Real-World Fuel Economy. SAE paper 2013-01-0551 (doi: 10.4271/2013-01-0551). SAE 2013 World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, April 2013.
  2. Lohse-Busch, H., M. Duoba, E. Rask, K. Stutenberg, V. Gowri, L. Slezak, and D. Anderson. 2013. Ambient Temperature (20°F, 72°F and 95°F) Impact on Fuel and Energy Consumption for Several Conventional Vehicles, Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles and Battery Electric Vehicle. SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1462 (doi:10.4271/2013-01-1462).
  3. Thomas, J.F., S.P. Huff, L.G. Moore, and B.H. West. 2016. Measurement of Vehicle Air Conditioning Pull-Down Period. ORNL/TM-2016/275. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

You dont usually get free access to SAE papers but the Oak Ridge lab paper is accessible. Its focus is on the pull-down period (cooling on startup after parking in the sun) but some data on the cruise phase is also given.

"From the previous study [1] the additional fuel use due to running the Ford Explorer A/C at 100% duty cycle is ~0.2 gal/h at idle (a 55% increase) and ~0.4 gal/h at 40-70 mph (an increase of 27% at 40 mph and 14% at 70 mph). For the Toyota Corolla the incremental fuel consumption was ~0.13 gal/h at idle (60% increase) and ~0.17 gal/h at 40-70 mph (representing a 22% increase at 40 mph to about a 9% increase at 70 mph). "

The cars used are not huge by US standards (huge cars would presumably do better on a % basis, and vice versa) or, at 2009, old by mine, but they won't incorporate the latest alien free energy technologies

The BIG AMERICAN numbers thus seem valid in context.

I'd guess part of the reason for the difference from the anecdotal UK experience reported above is that it does actually get quite hot in some parts of America.

A British mechanic who runs a garage and car-sourcing business here reported a 20% increase in city driving average fuel consumption by his Toyota Prius, which is in line with the high peak impacts mentioned above for hybrids and electrics.

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/external-window-louvres-a-good-thing-in-taiwan/67954/9

Being a fan of automotive nostalgia, I suggested an external louvre sheet/plate for the rear hatch window, like you used to get on Capri's (surely somebody on here used to have one?).

I doubt you can still buy those new though.

Green Bizniz Opportunity?

With my manual aircon 2014 Skoda Superb (1.4tsi) cruising on a flat road with cruise control on - the instantanious mpg hardy varies comparing aircon off to aircon on - sometimes you minght see a drop of 0.1mpg but usually the figure doesn't change. For a while when I first got my Superb I was sad enough to log my MPG using Spritmonitor and the figures were more or less the same whether air con was being used or turned off.

I wonder how much of a difference it makes to have climate control (automatic A/C) instead of bog-standard manual A/C? My car has an 'Eco' setting that it regularly uses when the climate control is on 'auto' mode, only using the non eco setting when it's REALLY hot inside and out for the first few minutes to cool the car rapidly (including using the air recirculator), then reverts to eco (and outside fresh air) to maintain the desired internal temperature in all but the hottest outside conditions (normally into the 32degC range or so).

I wonder how much of a difference it makes to have climate control (automatic A/C) instead of bog-standard manual A/C? My car has an 'Eco' setting that it regularly uses when the climate control is on 'auto' mode, only using the non eco setting when it's REALLY hot inside and out for the first few minutes to cool the car rapidly (including using the air recirculator), then reverts to eco (and outside fresh air) to maintain the desired internal temperature in all but the hottest outside conditions (normally into the 32degC range or so).

I think climate control makes all the difference the swift i had before had manual ac the sx4 and the other cars iv'e had alongside have all had climate control ore duel zone climate and have regulated the temperature in the car automatically and for the most part once it gets to temperature in the car slows down the blowers so maybe this is the reason for improved fuel consumption over standers ac.

I think climate control makes all the difference the swift i had before had manual ac the sx4 and the other cars iv'e had alongside have all had climate control ore duel zone climate and have regulated the temperature in the car automatically and for the most part once it gets to temperature in the car slows down the blowers so maybe this is the reason for improved fuel consumption over standers ac.

Indeed - it's one of the reasons why I was glad I managed to get my car in the grade it is - I originally was looking at the next grade down at dealerships/brokers which only had manual A/C, so jumped at the chance when one with climate control (next grade up) was offerered at Motorpoint for £1k less than the cheapest broker's price.

Indeed - it's one of the reasons why I was glad I managed to get my car in the grade it is - I originally was looking at the next grade down at dealerships/brokers which only had manual A/C, so jumped at the chance when one with climate control (next grade up) was offerered at Motorpoint for £1k less than the cheapest broker's price.

Its an option that is worth every penny in my eyes, I set it to 19 and leave it there all year round no fiddling with buttons or dials cool on a hot day warm on a cold day and always just right.

Its an option that is worth every penny in my eyes, I set it to 19 and leave it there all year round no fiddling with buttons or dials cool on a hot day warm on a cold day and always just right.

Indeed - and I'd NEVER go back to a car with manual A/C only.

any - Power sapped by A/C - concrete

In 1985 I took delivery of a brand new Honda Accord. It had a 1.8 12v petrol engine and was quite nippy and frugal. The kit on it was marvellous, I can't think of another gizmo I would have specified myself. The attractive item was the A/C of course. Very rare in those days for a production car. Absolute luxury and I have never had another car without it, either company cars or private. Never really noticed a reduction in power or consumption and as cars became more powerful and more efficient the less noticeable it was to be. I was told early on that it was more efficient run the A/c, later climate control, than have the windows open and the fan on full blast. Also to run the A/C all the time. Worked like a charm and never had trouble with any unit. Tried my last Skoda Superb on the Econ setting for a few weeks but saw no difference in power etc so went back to the usual climate control all the time. The wonder back in the 80's of sitting in a traffic queue with the windows closed when all the others were hanging out of their cars sweltering. I got some funny looks. The real pleasure was on holiday in France or Spain with the kids. Nice cool kids are not as fractious as hot sweaty ones! Worth every penny if it costs more to run.

Cheers Concrete

any - Power sapped by A/C - FP

Cool air in hot weather is great, but I think I appreciate the rapid demist in cooler weather as much as anything.

Cool air in hot weather is great, but I think I appreciate the rapid demist in cooler weather as much as anything.

Indeed - I loved my old 90s Micra, but the heater didn't warm up that quick and it had no A/C at all.

In really cold conditions in winter, I had to spend ages pre-warming the car up and had to keep mucking about with the air recirc button to keep the front windscreen from either re-freezing or steaming up.

In hot summer weather, I sweltered, and I was one of the more lucky ones, as the car had openable rear quarterlights (3dr only) and a tilt/slide sunroof with a very nice heavy-duty louvred screen to allow air through without letting much sunlight in.

My Mazda's auto function on climate control was a revelation. All I now do is change the desired temperature in summer when I get in the car so it doesn't cool down too rapidly (thermal shock) on a longer trip and adjust it back to a normal 'comfortable' temperature after about 10 minutes, doing the opposite when I get near my destination, occasionally switching to recirculated air and back again if in a traffic jam/polluted area.

I let the car's computer do the rest, and it seems to work very nicely. Occasionally I go the 'jack the heating up to max' if the air starts to smell a bit musty to kill of any bateria in the air ducts.

I'd rather forego a few mpg for a comfortable cabin - far better to drive in, and helps safety.

any - Power sapped by A/C - bathtub tom

A friend tells the tale of driving, 4-up, in a BX to Spain and having to turn off the a/c to get up some hills.