Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - Stavraetina

Hi all,

First time for me writing in this forum but also first time buying a car as I have always had company cars until now.

I have come accross a nice looking Fiesta sold by a Nissan dealership (part exchange vehicle). The car looked good, drove well, low mileage at 46k. All seemed fine until I looked at the paperwork. The service history is not full and stops in March 2017. All previous services done at Ford dealership. Obviously the dealership will do a service but it will have missed 2 (unless it was done by the owner himself or book wasn't stamped). It passed the emission test this year.

MOT passed in March with advisory saying rear tyres slightly out of shape (what could cause that?)

What I would like to know is whether I am taking a huge risk buying this car with partial service history. Can serious damage happen to the car or has already happened?

I am very nervous about buying a used car as I have trust issues with car sellers as I have had some bad experiences in the few months that I have been trying to acquire a car...

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - _

If you are buying from a Nissan franchised dealer, you should be ok

Is it a 1.0 litre ecoboost????

How does the mileage check out on the MOT tests. If very low miles between the last few tests don't worry too much

Is it a good price.

Personally if the dealer is servicing it and giving a fresh MOT and the tyres are all ok,

If all the other points are ok and you live close to the dealer in case of warranty, then go for it.

Only thing for me to think about is

the ecoboost engine, otherwise as above.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - Stavraetina

It is a 1L Ecoboost indeed and yes the price is good, or at least I think it is! £6k

Are franchised dealers trustworthy though?

Except for one year when it did 10k, the other years if aas more like 5k to 8k.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - elekie&a/c doctor
These Fiestas are great cars. But early models with the 3 cylinder ecoboost engines can be troublesome. Unless you can get a rock solid warranty from the dealer that covers any major engine defect , I would swerve it . Find a Fiesta with the 4 cylinder 1.25 . Much more durable.

Troublesome in what way?

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - badbusdriver

Personally, i wouldn't go near it because of that Ecoboost engine. If it was a 1.25 or a 1.4, fair enough, but not the 1.0t.

More reliable alternatives would include the Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift or Mazda 2

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - badbusdriver

Troublesome in what way?

Troublesome as in the engine going pop.

Ouch now you get me worried or rather annoyed that I have to look further..! Finding a car with what you want at the price you want is hard enough, but then finding a dealership that seems decent is even harder... however I am not sure I want to risk now if the engine is potentially dodgy.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - primus 1

The fiesta ( and some focus) suffered with the coolant degas pipes( I think) rusting and eventually losing all their coolant and the engine would go bang ( as most engines would) they should have all been fixed by now, but you should still check, ford even replaced engines foc,admittedly after a huge fight from owners , I’m on my third eco boost engined cars, two fiestas and now a Puma, although I’ve been fortunate enough to have a dealer backed warranty, you could try the Ford Fiesta forum for further advice, they will be able to give you more info,

I will only have 3 monghs warranty so basically nothing as it is not that new..

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - Avant

Whatever you do, don't buy a car without a service history, unless you're into banger territory when it might be unrealistic.

I agree with going for the 1.25 rather then the 1.0, but there should still be lots of Fiestas to choose from with service histories.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - catsdad

Looking on Autotrader the original car is not particularly well priced. The OP is not missing a bargain even if it were not the problematical engine. Having looked a couple of years ago at cars in this price bracket full service histories are very rare indeed. So you may have to settle for a “good” service history rather than “full”. Along the lines of ORB’s reply.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - _

Only 3 months warranty.

Those ones are not worth the paper they are written on.

On second thought find another one.

Thanks everyone for your input! I will continue searching then!! Buying a car has proven more stressful and cumbersome than I thought.

Thanks everyone for your input! I will continue searching then!! Buying a car has proven more stressful and cumbersome than I thought.

If you say where in the country you are and what your budget is, i'd be happy to have a look online later today.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - elekie&a/c doctor
If you are buying from a dealer , then under the Cra act 2015 , you should have a minimum 6 months warranty, as well as a 30 Day right to reject policy . So I’m not sure where the 3 months warranty comes from . Probably made up from the dealer .
Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - daveyjp

Is this a sign of the times? A main dealer selling on a 7 year old Fiesta with less than perfect history?

In normal times it would be on a transporter to auction, or sold to the trade.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - Andrew-T

Is this a sign of the times? A main dealer selling on a 7 year old Fiesta with less than perfect history? In normal times it would be on a transporter to auction, or sold to the trade.

On the face of it, if a 'main dealer' is prepared to market a 7-year-old 'foreigner' I would assume that they have confidence in it as a decent car. Missing history may mean little, other than the recent owner didn't bother to get the record stamped because the warranty had expired.

Way back when my daughters were getting their first cars, they each got a Peugeot from the local Nissan dealer. Both nice little cars and cheaper than from the nearby Pug dealer - and they got a bunch of flowers too.

But you ask above - should I trust a main dealer? All over the motor trade there are good 'uns and not-so-good 'uns. Until you discover how that land lies you may just have to take a few risks. Some (most, if you're lucky) will pay off. Don't forget the basic rule - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I don't think main dealerships care that much to be honest. Back in March I put a deposit for a 3 year old Astra, and stupid of me did the HPI check after and discovered a few lies which prompted me to ask full history of all repairs. It turned out the car was a dead horse from the start with numerous for the last 3 years and not small ones. When I argued it, he took me for an idiot and then ignored all my calls and emails until I escalated it to the general manager who finally accepted to refund me. Then in other main dealerships I visited, tney made me test drive a car that was only 3 years old again but absolutely disgusting with mud, dog hair and horrendous smell, and back seats completely wet from God knows what. They hadn't even bothered cleaning the car.

The way I see it is that they try to cheat you from the word go so now I tend to lack total trust with what they tell me.. I am finding it a terrible experience to purchase a car. I won't do a lot of mileage, I just need a car to go to work a few days a week and the occasional trip abroad, probs 10k miles max a year but still want something decent when beinb on a fast road so this is why I thought about getting a Fiesta. I am downgrading from Jaguar!

When I asked for a discount for the Fiesta at the Nissan dealership it was far too easy, they usually fight a bit more for that. Don't know whether this is a bad sign.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - Andrew-T

I don't think main dealerships care that much to be honest. ... they made me test drive a car that was only 3 years old again but absolutely disgusting with mud, dog hair and horrendous smell, and back seats completely wet from God knows what. They hadn't even bothered cleaning the car.

The way I see it is that they try to cheat you from the word go so now I tend to lack total trust with what they tell me. When I asked for a discount for the Fiesta at the Nissan dealership it was far too easy, they usually fight a bit more for that. Don't know whether this is a bad sign.

This may say as much about you as about them. As I said above, there are good 'uns and not-so-good 'uns, so maybe you have been unlucky so far. When you have started to trust no-one it's a hard habit to break and it won't help to find the right car.

As regards cleaning the car, you could see that as being honest, letting you see how it has been lived in. If such a car is otherwise complete and in good nick, you can haggle for a discount and insist on complete valeting before delivery.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - pd

You're never going to get a "belt and braces" new car sort of warranty on a 7 year old car. Sorry, it just doesn't happen. The only way to get a new style warranty is to buy a car new or with a balance of one remaining.

Sounds like it is a car which has done a low mileage in recent years. On history it depends on the mileage at the last service. It was at 14k it has done a lot of miles since being services, if it was at 40k but 3 years ago it just hasn't been used much and I wouldn't worry.

Never, ever, think of anything under consumer legislation as a "warranty". Yes, it offers some protection but - and this is the thing people forget - it also offers protection to the seller from unreasonable expectations from a buyer of a used/part worn device. It will protect you from major issues after purchase but not necessarily the same sort of things as a warranty and can be very difficult to argue.

I am beating myself up for that but didn't of taking the mileage info at last service. I have enquired with the dealership but have ignored my request. From MOT history which was done around the time of service, it looks like it did at least 20k between now and last service.

Thanks! I am around Guildford with max budget of £7k and looking to do 10k miles prob a year.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - Avant

You can put all your details - location, budget, type of car etc. into Cars for Sale on this site or Autotrader and narrow the search down.

The Fiesta is a good starting-point as there are lots of them around. Or go for a Japanese model like a Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz or Mazda 2. Any used car purchase is a gamble, but these are more likely to be reliable.

Stick to petrol engines; with your moderate mileage you don't need a diesel.

Ford Fiesta 1L 99bhp Titanium, petrol - 2013 Fiesta w partial service history risky? - catsdad

Avant, spot on. And if you do that for Guildford first up comes a good looking 1.25.

Edited by catsdad on 02/07/2020 at 14:59

Using a random postcode from the centre of Guildford, here are some possibilities which i'd be looking at in your situation. In no particular order,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200528959...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200619029...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200515933...4

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200625050...s

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200110601...8

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200522947...8

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200630068...9

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200625050...9

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200521944...0

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200612006...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200622039...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191209517...4

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200503915...5

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200307813...5

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200205696...6

Thanks! Some interesting cars there, actually I am due to see the grey Yaris tomorrow and Suzuki Swift was sth I am also starting to consider. Will check them out in details ;-) thanks again for the selection!

The Yaris in the third ad seems to have a lot of rusted nuts and bolts in the engine bay area from the picture. Is it anything to be concerned about?

The Yaris in the third ad seems to have a lot of rusted nuts and bolts in the engine bay area from the picture. Is it anything to be concerned about?

Difficult to say for certain by the picture but it is unlikely to be too serious (no mention in the MOT history). Give the bolts and the surrounding areas in question a clean with WD40 or similar, if that removes the rust, give it a good dollop of grease. You may need to replace one or two of the individual bolts.

But TBH, it is the kind of thing you will find on most cars if you have a good look in the engine bay.

Rust on bolts etc appears on both our Japanese cars even after a couple of years (Civic and Mazda 3). As long as that is all it is, it’s not an issue. Rust in panels or structural parts is a much more serious issue.

i just treat it with a bit of grease or, if a bit heavier, Hammerite. It’s cosmetic.

Rust on nuts and bolts is nothing to worry about unless you intend to loosen them. Rust in the items bolted together may be more important, but they are usually painted.

Thanks everyone!! Will see 2 Yaris today including this one so fingers crossed one of them works out!