Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Kingpin

I've been reading the latest reviews of the new model, unsure if this is progress or just the latest slow development of the Jazz theme of maximum space at any cost. I think the driving dynamics will be much as before, steady and nothing exciting. The mechanicals are now a static petrol engine acting as a generator for batteries and motors plus a boost at motorway speeds. It all seems excessively complicated to justify equivalent MPG of 55-60 and no guarantees all the tech will carry on working for 10 years? It is still a petrol powered car but seemingly with all the negatives and none of the positive of a 100% EV. Very expensive to buy and insurance group 19 seem to be the final straw.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Falkirk Bairn

I am sure the Honda Jazz will be robust - like its earlier models.

Hybrid cars from Toyota have done Lunar miles with few problems - at leat with the hybrid you can fill up anywhere in 5 mins rather than 5 hours with an EV.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - thunderbird

I've been reading the latest reviews of the new model, unsure if this is progress or just the latest slow development of the Jazz theme of maximum space at any cost. I think the driving dynamics will be much as before, steady and nothing exciting. The mechanicals are now a static petrol engine acting as a generator for batteries and motors plus a boost at motorway speeds. It all seems excessively complicated to justify equivalent MPG of 55-60 and no guarantees all the tech will carry on working for 10 years? It is still a petrol powered car but seemingly with all the negatives and none of the positive of a 100% EV. Very expensive to buy and insurance group 19 seem to be the final straw.

I agree, it does not seem to be progress.

Take our 1.0 TSi Fabia. For a small car its has excellent space but unlike the Jazz the drive is very good, with the turbo spinning almost sporty.

Over the 6 months we have owned it the average mpg has been virtually spot on 50, the one longish run we did before lockdown appeared to be in the high 50's. We are hoping to visit a cousin down in Worcestershire as soon as its allowed (our turn, they came to us in December) and on that run (mostly motorways) I would hope to see close on 60 mpg.

As for price, we bought ours at 18 months old for £9000 plus an 11.5 year old Focus (WBAC car said £800). At that time brokers had new ones for about £14000 in the same spec as ours. Group 9 insurance.

No idea what the actual price of the Jazz is but if it costs more than such as the Fabia with no apparent advantages I fear its doomed in the longer term. Surely the 80+ year olds that love the Jazz will realise they can get the same for far less.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - groaver

No idea what the actual price of the Jazz is but if it costs more than such as the Fabia with no apparent advantages I fear its doomed in the longer term. Surely the 80+ year olds that love the Jazz will realise they can get the same for far less.

I've seen £21k reported.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - thunderbird

I've seen £21k reported.

Wow. Seems that they are not planning on making it a big seller then. With Hondas limited range pricing your entry level car at that level is surely suicide in these difficult times.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Engineer Andy

I've seen £21k reported.

Wow. Seems that they are not planning on making it a big seller then. With Hondas limited range pricing your entry level car at that level is surely suicide in these difficult times.

And Honda why their sales (pre-COVID-19) were tanking in Europe...

I said this on another thread, but it's worth repeating - since the mid 2000s, Honda have essentially made no innovations - copying other's tech whilst significantly inflating prices, and not really improving the driving dynamics of their cars. I was amazed at them effectively ditching their large client base with the Civic Type R of the early 2000s to build a pimped-out £30k+ car for the latest versions - one that very few can afford.

I would go further to say that their reliability has worsened, especially with problems related to their (standard) turbo-petrol cars. I agree that with a very limited range and essentially unaffordable, not great looking or driving cars, who'd want to buy one? I feel sorry for the majority of Honda dealers, who are well-run outfits that give a high level of customer care.

What a sad state of affairs. I bet that Hyundai/KIA are loving this. Mazda too, if they can overcome their own shortcomings (diesels, sort-of being rectified or nullified by going back to mainly petrols and now hybrids/EVs, plus their very hit-and-miss dealer network), and, at least in Europe, Toyota/Lexus, if they can add a bit of style and driving dynamics (the latest Corolla is much better) to their excellent reliability and customer care.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Bolt

I heard the jazz is going to go through a complete redesign for 2021-2 and all cars having the same chassis, body will start looking similar to the accord only to differ with size.

Civic, Jazz, with the New Type R - are seen on youtube, and although they are similar looking the one noticeable difference is they are doing away with the upward sloping rear doors giving larger and lower windows

also a lower rear screen to ease visibility, possibly doing away with the side door mirrors for camera (undecided yet) they all look a lot better imo as they will look like the Accord

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Sulphur Man

It starts at 18890. Goes up to 23450 for the Crosstar crossover variant, with raised ride height and body mouldings.

There are few cars in recent times more fit for purpose than a Jazz. UK traffic speeds have got slower and slower, as congestion has risen and road space has fallen. Making a small car with exceptional interior room and flexibility was always going to get strong business.

Honda have been at hybrid for 21 years. Maybe not all the time in the UK, but definitely in their main markets of Asia and US. The drivetrain in the new Jazz (and CR-V) is well ahead of European manufacturers. In a car the size of the Jazz, two electric motors working off a petrol engine, which acts purely as an electric generator most of the time, is quite something. With virtually no impact on the car's famed practicality, which is such a strong selling point on this car. As for long-term reliability, this is a Honda petrol/electric drivetrain. It's going to be very very low risk.

MPG wise, the reviews I've read say it will deliver 60mpg however you drive it, with Auto Express hitting 70mpg on an extended run. A petrol/hybrid automatic with a 0-60 of 9.4 which can hit 70mpg, not sure anything else in it's class can compare with that.

As for the price....by comparison Ford gave a press release of the new Fiesta 'mild' hybrid yesterday. Basically their 1.0 Ecoboost coupled to a 48v belt-driven starter/generator. Prices from £19890......for a smaller car with a basic hybrid assistance and typical Ford depreciation. I'm sure the Ford steers better, but what use is that driving in the UK? I'd take practicality and residuals every time.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Kingpin

I agree, it does not seem to be progress.

Take our 1.0 TSi Fabia. For a small car its has excellent space but unlike the Jazz the drive is very good, with the turbo spinning almost sporty.

Over the 6 months we have owned it the average mpg has been virtually spot on 50, the one longish run we did before lockdown appeared to be in the high 50's. We are hoping to visit a cousin down in Worcestershire as soon as its allowed (our turn, they came to us in December) and on that run (mostly motorways) I would hope to see close on 60 mpg.

As for price, we bought ours at 18 months old for £9000 plus an 11.5 year old Focus (WBAC car said £800). At that time brokers had new ones for about £14000 in the same spec as ours. Group 9 insurance.

Agree - the results from the 1.0 TSI engine are a quite remarkable combination of useful performance and achievable economy. Got the same engine in our Polo.

Jazz seem to be north of £20k on the road plus group 19/20 insurance so it will take a while to claw back costs and drive very carefully.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Terry W

Maximum interior space for a minimum footprint seems like commonsense to me.

Honda in this country have an elderly demographic customer base. For many pensioners who can afford to buy a new car, price may not be the main determinant. Many have final salary pension schemes, may have downsized, and have cash in the bank.

If they want to spend an extra £5k on a car because they like what it represents, how it drives etc etc they can afford it. They may only buy 1,2, or 3 cars during retirement anyway.

On this forum many have no difficulty in justifying spending £30k++ on a car for the frankly trivial or irrelevant - how many cupholders, acceleration, steering feel, size (bigger=better), 0-60 mph etc.

What I don't understand is hybrid - energy used is a function of how it is driven (speed, acceleration etc) and weight.

Hybrids add weght (+cost, + complexity) to a normal ICE making it fundamentally less efficient. The only circumstances where it may be more efficient is in heavy traffic where a stationary EV will better an idling ICE.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Sulphur Man

"Hybrids add weght (+cost, + complexity) to a normal ICE making it fundamentally less efficient. The only circumstances where it may be more efficient is in heavy traffic where a stationary EV will better an idling ICE."

Well suited to the UK then.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Avant

I don't know what proportion of current-model Jazzes are manual and how many CVT. The customers who've always driven manuals will mostly want to stay that way (and indeed should if they're very elderly), so Honda will lose them, quite possibly to the Fabia if they want the space, the i10 and Picanto if they don't.

The Fabia, athough this version has been around for a few years, still makes a lot of sense. My elder daughter, after four Yarises and two i10s, was expecting to replace her now five-year-old i10 with either another i10 or back to a Yaris. I suggested adding the Fabia to her shortlist as she was keen on a bigger boot.

She and I tried all three and the Fabia won by a bigger margin then we'd expected. That 1.0 110 bhp engine - same as Thunderbird's - is very impressive, and discovering that the Fabia was going to be £60 a month less than the other two made it a no-brainer.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - daveyK_UK
The new Jazz has very impressive Forecasted residual values

The mid range model has a 55% retention value, there is no other small car (Maybe a A1?) that gets anywhere near 55% retention at 3 years.

Already retail offering of £199 down and £199 a month for the base model which no doubt will be beaten by the car lease companies

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - argybargy

Very interesting to read the comments about the Jazz demographic.

I was in denial over this at first, having bought my 13 plate Jazz in January 2018 at the age of just 63, but the tendency of other drivers to engage in enthusiastic tailgating quickly made me realise that as a Jazz driver you're regarded as a coffin dodger unless proven otherwise.

Having said all that, and having admitted its not a sparkling drive, it costs next to nowt to own. If only they had a better range of engines, I might have been persuaded to go for the third generation model. There's a discontinued Sport with circa 120bhp, but everything else in the range is, like mine, around the 100 horses mark. Not a hope in Hell of me being able to afford electric, or hybrid or any other combination of those alternatives.

In six months or so I'll be back here looking for advice on my next car, and it almost certainly won't be a Jazz. Partly because of the engines, and partly because although they've made a grand job of utilising the available space as efficiently as possible, I've reluctantly concluded over the last couple of years that there are still occasions when I need something bigger.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Ethan Edwards

Honda don't make the best Hybrids. Toyota do that. Why not look at the Yaris Hybrid? Big T has been in the Hybrid game for 30 years and they know a thing or two about it.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - SLO76
A lot of people are going to be priced off the road in the not too distant future. As cars rocket in price sales will drop and fewer vehicles will hit the used market which in turn forces prices upwards. I’m glad I have shares in a national bus company.
Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - badbusdriver

Honda don't make the best Hybrids. Toyota do that. Why not look at the Yaris Hybrid? Big T has been in the Hybrid game for 30 years and they know a thing or two about it.

Hmm, as it happens 'the big H'(!) has also been making hybrids continuously for 30 years. If fact the first hybrid available to buy outside Japan was the 1st gen Honda Insight.

Are Toyota hybrids better than Honda hybrids?. Depends what you want.

In the case of the original two, the Insight vs the Prius, if practicality was a consideration, the Prius was clearly the only choice. But from the engineering point of view, the Insight was the better car.

Skip forward to the 2nd gen Insight vs the contemorary Prius. The Insight is often derided here but this ignores the fact that it was designed specifically to be a more affordable hybrid than the Prius. As such it was a less sophisticated car, but does that mean the Prius was better (for the money)?, i'm not so sure.

Go to supermini's and Honda had the Jazz in production before the Yaris. Granted Honda did not stick with it, at least not in this country, but they got there first.

If you want a really fast hybrid, between the two it has to be Honda with the NSX, Toyota have nothing to offer here.

So while Toyota have clearly sold much more hybrid's than Honda, Honda have been at it for only slightly less than the same amount of time with a coresponding amount of experience to "know a thing or two about it". I'm not suggesting Honda hybrids are better than Toyota, but where they directly compete, i think they are just as good.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - gordonbennet

Toyota offered a seriously fast hybrid from 2006, namely the Lexus GS450h, which with its combined petrol engine and electric motor churned out nearly 500hp together when full power required, offering 0-62mph in under 6 seconds and a limited 155mph top end.

Toyota offered a seriously fast hybrid from 2006, namely the Lexus GS450h, which with its combined petrol engine and electric motor churned out nearly 500hp together when full power required, offering 0-62mph in under 6 seconds and a limited 155mph top end.

Those figures may have been fairly impressive in 2006 GB, but today, seriously fast is a whole different ballgame!. The NSX will hit 60mph in around 3 seconds thanks to its instant electric torque and 4wd traction.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - madf

Those figures may have been fairly impressive in 2006 GB, but today, seriously fast is a whole different ballgame!. The NSX will hit 60mph in around 3 seconds thanks to its instant electric torque and 4wd traction.

Tesla Model S 0-60mph 2.4seconds...

You are all so insular :-)

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Terry W

Very soon we will all be able to hit 60mph before we have even released the handbrake.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - Engineer Andy

My BIL's previous car was a 2nd gen Honda Civic IMA Hybrid. About the same size as my Mazda3 (though the former's boot is only 350L against my car's 405L) and reasonable to drive, giving around the 48 mpg, which was better than my 1.6 petrol Mazda by 20% but under that of the Prius by nearly the same amount.

To be fair to Honda, I think they always had concentrated more on the driving experience (including performance) than Toyota have done up until about that time, but then they seem to have lost their way, especially with what should be their core market. No wonder so many more Priuses were bought than the Honda.

The same goes for the sort-of successor to the original Insight, the CR-Z - nice to look at, reasonable handling, but not a practical car, nor that quick comapred to rival 'warm hatch' cars or green compared to the other hybrids, and...expensive for what you got. Very few discounts and thus very few sold.

Sometimes you have to wonder at the post millenial (well, post 2005) Honda R&D and sales/marketing departments. They had it all and threw it all away, with sale increasingly being vacuumed up by Toyota, Mazda, but especially the South Korean makes like Hyundai/KIA, and to some extent, for the value-for-money buyer, Skoda & SEAT.

My BIL now runs a 2nd gen (non hybrid) Jazz and seems happy with it, as I suspect it gives similar fuel economy than the Civic Hybrid and a bigger boot space as there's no hybrid batteries to hide under the floor.

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - mcb100
Comparing Toyota to Honda hybrids is a little bit of an apples vs oranges conversation in that until the arrival of the CR-V last year, Honda used their IMA system (Integrated Motor Assist), ostensibly an electric motor concentric with the crank and assisting the ICE under acceleration. Similar in effect, but not concept, to the 24 & 48V mild hybrids becoming prevalent.
Toyota have always used a combination of one petrol engines and two motor generators to provide propulsion, each can work independently or collaboratively.
Comparing Toyota to Honda hybrids is a little bit of an apples vs oranges conversation in that until the arrival of the CR-V last year, Honda used their IMA system (Integrated Motor Assist), ostensibly an electric motor concentric with the crank and assisting the ICE under acceleration. Similar in effect, but not concept, to the 24 & 48V mild hybrids becoming prevalent. Toyota have always used a combination of one petrol engines and two motor generators to provide propulsion, each can work independently or collaboratively.

Not sure the average customer would make the distinction, or indeed care. Much like whether or not a DCT is an automatic gearbox. As far as most folk are concerned, if it has two pedals it is an auto, if it has electric and a petrol (or diesel) engine it is a hybrid.

Hybrids add weght (+cost, + complexity) to a normal ICE making it fundamentally less efficient. The only circumstances where it may be more efficient is in heavy traffic where a stationary EV will better an idling ICE.

(New) Jazz hybrid with petrol engine and two electric motors = 1228-1246kg

Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost auto (non-hybrid) = 1221kg

(Current) Yaris hybrid with petrol engine and electric motor = 1090kg

Hyundai i20 1.0 turbo DCT (non-hybrid) = 1110kg

Honda Jazz 2020 - New Honda Jazz - intiial thoughts - daveyK_UK
Are they available to test drive at the dealers yet?