Depreciation and second hand car values - johnnyrev

My wife’s new car was delivered today, from Sc***horpe via Carwow (we are in Birmingham). It’s a y20 Yaris Hybrid, replacing another 7 year old Yaris Hybrid. She got a very good deal through Carwow, possibly because there’s a new Yaris out soon, and maybe dealers want sales at the moment so are offering good prices.

The whole thing was very easy and the dealer very good, finding exactly the car she wanted and an excellent deal.

Anyway, what really struck me was the trade in price for the old Yaris, which was the same that we paid 4 years ago as the final payment on the PCP, £6,600. So she has effectively had depreciation free motoring for 4 years. Are second hand prices really that high at the moment? (Although I expect my 4 year old Logan is now worth about £2:50).

Depreciation and second hand car values - badbusdriver

Anyway, what really struck me was the trade in price for the old Yaris, which was the same that we paid 4 years ago as the final payment on the PCP, £6,600. So she has effectively had depreciation free motoring for 4 years. Are second hand prices really that high at the moment? (Although I expect my 4 year old Logan is now worth about £2:50).

It is because we are talking about a Yaris hybrid. Despite how some view them, they are an extremely desirable used car, just look at the used prices. Cheapest on Autotrader is a 2013 cat S write-off at £4785, next cheapest is a 2012 eample with 108k miles for £5420. Compare that to a non hybrid (2012 onwards 1.3 petrol) Yaris, the cheapest is a 2013 cat C write-ofor £2690, then a 2012 122k mile car for £2995.

How well any car holds its value is very much dependant on what it is.

Depreciation and second hand car values - Falkirk Bairn

Unpopular cars which sold in poor numbers a few years ago are now sought after.

Toyota Avensis petrol cars were poor sellers, even the diesel was not the fastest seller. Try buying a 5/6/7 year old petrol auto - few advertised and prices have risen.

It's called supply & demand - most taxis in may area seem to be Toyota Auris estate hybrids yet in the recent past they were not the biggest sellers - they used to buy VAG diesels especially Skodas

Depreciation and second hand car values - pd

Used prices are certainly up on anything much under £10k - some by £1000.

If there is a major new scrappage scheme they'll go up more.

Depreciation and second hand car values - John F

Anyway, what really struck me was the trade in price for the old Yaris, which was the same that we paid 4 years ago as the final payment on the PCP, £6,600. So she has effectively had depreciation free motoring for 4 years

Sort of. It must have cost a fair bit during the first three years, and there are sometimes financial/tax avoidance reasons for a good trade in price against a high purchase price, on which you might well have been able to negotiate a reduction if you were a cash buyer with no car to trade in.

Depreciation and second hand car values - drd63

I changed my 4 year old Aygo earlier in the year. It was leased but effectively had 1 years worth of leasing costs in equity, an unexpected bonus given monthly costs and deposit were low to start with. My conclusion was that used car prices had gone up significantly for the right car. I.e small, cheap to run.