website malfunction - concrete

This is for Avant I think. When i look at the Legal Matters section, even if reading or posting a reply, when I come out I cannot get back onto the forum. I have to come completely out and back in again. I clicked the link to report faults but it takes me to the Ask HJ section. I do not have a question about a car or other motoring matter, simply to inform that the website is misbehaving. Can you help?

Cheers Concrete

website malfunction - Bromptonaut

Seems OK to me.

I've been in, read the post about parking at DIY stores and gone back to Back Room then this sub-forum with no trouble.

website malfunction - Engineer Andy

I think there have been some changes to the website over the past few months, one small one is that the red 'new post' label in the forum stays up for at least 24 hours, if after you've read them, including your own posts.

The other one which I noticed in the past few days, though this may be more to do with how the site interracts with ad blocker software, is that the 'log in' button no longer brings up a popup box to log in - I have to right click on it to bring up a new tab/window to do so.

Occasionally the 'accept cookies' box pops up and I can't log in, but again I think that appears to be adblocker related, as it similarly affects me accessing the Telegraph, once every few weeks. It goes away after exiting the browser and coming back in. Not the end of the world though.

I suspect that Avant may direct you to Kalpesh from IT (if he is still working for the site - not sure who is after the January takeover).

I think there have been some changes to the website over the past few months, one small one is that the red 'new post' label in the forum stays up for at least 24 hours, if after you've read them, including your own posts.

Not just me experiencing that then. I thought it was down to my cookie settings, cache or some such thing.

What OS/Browser are you using?

Mines Win10 and Chrome.

website malfunction - alan1302

Not just me experiencing that then. I thought it was down to my cookie settings, cache or some such thing.

Mines Win10 and Chrome.

Win 10 and Edge - same issue -only in last few weeks

Mines Win10 and Chrome.

I'm using Win7 and Firefox, with the browser built-in ad blocker on and the add-on ad blocker uBlock Origin and cookie/tracker one Ghostery. Previously all were fine until a few days ago or so.

I tried Win 10 a couple of months ago but my 9yo PC isn't capable of running it in a stable/reliable fashion. I like Firefox as it allows many good add-ons that have, up until now, vastly improved the browsing experience.

Chrome is fine (usage), though less add-on are available and I'm growing more and more concerned about the behaviour of Google by the day (including use of my data, browsing or otherwise). I tend to use it as a backup browser of last resort.

I often find that the problems of the sort I've documented go away a few days/weeks later (they are more of a minor annoyance than a serious problem) once the software engineers at Firefox, any of the add-on programs or the website giving the issue gets the negative feedback on a change they made and either reverses it or fixes the bug.

Hopefully this will be the case again, although the pandemic may mean less staff are on hand to deal with such issues. Still worth reporting. I'll see whether other websites I'm a member of (including online shops) have problems.

As you say, it could easily be cured and also down to clearing the cache/cookies, which I did do not that long ago. Sometimes it could also be the using of the same browser on two different platforms (my Win 7 PC and my Android tablet) which do interract via the browser 'synchronising'.

website malfunction - RT

The other one which I noticed in the past few days, though this may be more to do with how the site interracts with ad blocker software, is that the 'log in' button no longer brings up a popup box to log in - I have to right click on it to bring up a new tab/window to do so.

I haven't found that to be the case - not in Win 10 and Edge browser

website malfunction - Avant

Has anyone else had the same problem as Concrete?

It works fine for me (Chrome and Edge). It may depend on which browser you have....or maybe if cars can have intermittent faults that never happen when you want to show someone, so can computer software.

I'll try to find out next week if Kalpesh is still the IT guru for this site.

website malfunction - bathtub tom

I emailed Avant and Kalpesh about these sort of idiosyncrasies a month ago. Avant replied promptly stating he didn't know if Kalpesh was still responsible. It seems Avant still doesn't know, so I think we can assume Kalpesh has gone and we'll just have to put up with it (or move to the dark side).

website malfunction - alan1302

we'll just have to put up with it (or move to the dark side).

Might have the same issue on Safari.

Might not be a browser issue - might be down to the extensions running - especially ad blockers etc.

Has anyone else had the same problem as Concrete?

No but I have same problem as Andy. I'm pretty sure it's same on my tablet which is Android/Chrome.

website malfunction - Joe-Alex

This is for Avant I think. When i look at the Legal Matters section, even if reading or posting a reply, when I come out I cannot get back onto the forum. I have to come completely out and back in again. I clicked the link to report faults but it takes me to the Ask HJ section. I do not have a question about a car or other motoring matter, simply to inform that the website is misbehaving. Can you help?

Cheers Concrete

A few of questions:

1. What sort of device are you accessing from when the issue occurs?

2. What browser are you using?

3. Are you running any extensions (ad-bliockers, script-blockers etc)?

4. How often does it happen? Have you noticed a pattern (i.e. does it only happen on certain devices, browsers etc)?

5. When you say you 'cannot get back into the forum' could you please describe exactly what is happening? I assume you are clicking on the link and nothing is happening, but you know what they say about assumptions....

I can't promise I'll be of much help, but I have just finished my 1st year of my Computing and IT degree (with a focus on Comms and Networking).

Thank you Joe-Alex. I am using a MacBook and Google Chrome. Safari is too flaky and I can't be bothered to install Firefox or another browser. Chrome is fine and easy to use. The only downside is it takes you to MSN when you come out of a website.

The problem was after replying or reading a post in Legal Matter the bar at the top did not offer a way forward. Normally it would display Forum or Legal Matters or Motoring Discussion etc from which to choose. The bar was absent so I would go to the very top and select Enter the back room and start again. This happened quite a few times before I posted. Wouldn't you know it, just tried again and all is now well. Could be me, I am from the steam age remember! Anyway will carry on for now and hope things run smoothly. Thanks for all the comments. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Cheers Concrete

Thank you Joe-Alex. I am using a MacBook and Google Chrome. Safari is too flaky and I can't be bothered to install Firefox or another browser. Chrome is fine and easy to use. The only downside is it takes you to MSN when you come out of a website.

The problem was after replying or reading a post in Legal Matter the bar at the top did not offer a way forward. Normally it would display Forum or Legal Matters or Motoring Discussion etc from which to choose. The bar was absent so I would go to the very top and select Enter the back room and start again. This happened quite a few times before I posted. Wouldn't you know it, just tried again and all is now well. Could be me, I am from the steam age remember! Anyway will carry on for now and hope things run smoothly. Thanks for all the comments. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Cheers Concrete

Sorry, the bar usually has Backroom on it, but there was no bar. Cheers C

website malfunction - Joe-Alex

<snip>

Cheers Concrete

No problem.

Given the information you provided, it doesn't appear to be anything you are doing or using. Next time it happens, I would try pressing 'F5' or the circular arrow next to the address bar to refresh the page. Let me know if that works or not.

From reading some of the other posts, it could be an anomaly within the web code itself, but it is hard to tell without having access to the guts of the thing.

website malfunction - expat

I have been unable to log in until today when I went to the New Users and from there to existing user and got in that way.

I am on Debian Linux and Firefox. I also run Adblocker Plus and have a customised hosts file. My suspicions are that the problem is in the web server configuration.

Oddly enough, the pop-up login works if I navigate to the main Back Room page first. It appears only the main front page doesn't work as regards the pop-up login. It does if you right click on the Log In an 'open in new tab/window'.

I've no trouble logging in, it's just the 'new; flag on posts that's misbehaving.

For example my post on the cancellations thread as well as the OP and one other post are still flagged new.

website malfunction - expat

I've no trouble logging in, it's just the 'new; flag on posts that's misbehaving.

For example my post on the cancellations thread as well as the OP and one other post are still flagged new.

I am getting that problem also.

I am getting that problem also.

I get that, but not all all threads all on the Motoring & Technical areas, seemingly for 2 days (then the red 'new' disappears), and on some, but not all on the General Discussion and Legal areas, where some 'new' threads/comments don't have the red 'new' label at all.

That second issue has been around for ages now - the only change for me has been that the red 'new' stays up for 2 days instead of until the time after you've accessed that thread discssion.

Very odd.

website malfunction - bathtub tom

I suspect the 'new' flag issue may have something to do with the clocks going forward. There were comments the clock on here was out and the 'new' flag issue seemed to appear when the clock was corrected.

website malfunction - Avant

Delighted to confirm that Kalpesh is still working for us, and so he is the person to ask about IT problems.

Address: kalpesh.mistry@heycar.co.uk