Why are shoppers such idiots - thunderbird

Over the past few weeks it become very common to see shoppers in masks walking down the isles in the opposite way to the arrows that indicate the way you should walk just like the masks make them either immune or invisible. On one occasion a shop worker walked the wrong way and when I and other pointed out her error she laughed at us. When the shop was busier due to the impending bank holiday there were long queues for the tills and one shopper was insistent that the arrows had nothing t do with the way you should walk around the shop, they were only there when your were waiting for the tills, god hlep us if the queues got that long.

What do these people do when they are driving, do they ignore one way streets I wonder?

This morning we have been to Asda since Tesco appear to have stopped selling a few of the regular items we buy and they were shown as being available at Asda. Success, got them. But on the way out we met the village idiot. Wearing a mask(of course) he walked strait in through the exit ignoring all the signs and barriers plus the fact there was a queue waiting to enter the store. I commented that this was the exit and he pointed to his mask saying those rules did not apply. He was then stopped by store security, we left smiling to ourselves.

Why are shoppers such idiots - Bromptonaut

Mrs B went to Tesco earlier in the week and found the one way system a nightmare. Even if you're familiar with the store and know exactly what you want it's easy to miss things and feel the need to double back.

Locally Sainsbury and Aldi have both tried and abandoned 'one way round' as creating more problems than it solves. People in those stores seem to manage to keep 2 metres apart anyway.

Why are shoppers such idiots - Andrew-T

I am an infrequent supermarket visitor, but when I accompany Mrs T she knows an efficient route to collect the things on her list. She hasn't shopped since lockdown started so I have no idea whether her habits would fit an in-store one-way system.

When I go to the local smallish s-m it is usually for a handful of items so I doubt whether I would enjoy having to travel down every aisle to get them all, and certainly not in a full-blown Tesco. It would be like an IKEA where shoppers have had to do basically that, unless they know the hidden shortcuts.

In reality, if aisles are fairly wide I doubt that travelling contra-flow would make much difference to infection, as long as no-one is actually coughing or sneezing - one is breathing in second-hand air anyway. I don't think a shopping expedition need include a shop-the-offender outing.

Why are shoppers such idiots - galileo

Assuming shoppers are a fairly representative sample of the population, then 50% will by definition have below average intelligence.

Possibly the more intelligent (like forum members) either have their shopping delivered or shop at times when supermarkets are almost empty (like our local Aldi at 8.05 am),so the idiots are a larger percentage?

Mrs B went to Tesco earlier in the week and found the one way system a nightmare. Even if you're familiar with the store and know exactly what you want it's easy to miss things and feel the need to double back.

Doubling back is not a issue, the wide main isles that run the length of the shop are bi-directional, we have to do it on every trip.

I have no idea whether her habits would fit an in-store one-way system

Its not a one way system. Each "goods" isle has arrows indication the direction of travel but the wide isles that run the length of the shop do not. Thus you do not have to visit every isle in the shops, only the ones you need.

Asda are doing this as are Tesco. Wife has been to Morrisons who aren't but their shop does have wider isles.

or shop at times when supermarkets are almost empty (like our local Aldi at 8.05 am),so the idiots are a larger percentage?

We try and get there about 10 am, Tesco is reserved for essential workers before that hour.

I would suggest that a good 95% are following the arrows on the floor, its not that difficult, the one that don't are either wearing masks or over the age of about 80.

We are all in this together but as always some idiots do not believe it affects them. My MIL still thinks its only the Chinese that can catch it and we are doing all this to protect them. She wants them sent back to China so we can get back to normal.

Edited by thunderbird on 05/06/2020 at 14:55

Why are shoppers such idiots - concrete

What is this thing called 'shopping'? Ho Ho, only joking. My Housekeeper, better known as SWMBO or Mrs C has been shopping online for some time. She pays a small annual fee and has a regular weekly slot. It saves lugging heavy items around from shop to car and car to kitchen. Other bits and pieces we need we get from the local town which has a Friday market. Works very well for us, especially through the lockdown scenario we were guaranteed our delivery. It has always astounded me in supermarkets when 'trolley rage' erupts. As Tbird says, what do these people do when driving? They walk among us and they breed..........

Cheers Concrete

Why are shoppers such idiots - Engineer Andy

Doubling back is not a issue, the wide main isles that run the length of the shop are bi-directional, we have to do it on every trip.

I have no idea whether her habits would fit an in-store one-way system

Its not a one way system. Each "goods" isle has arrows indication the direction of travel but the wide isles that run the length of the shop do not. Thus you do not have to visit every isle in the shops, only the ones you need.

Asda are doing this as are Tesco. Wife has been to Morrisons who aren't but their shop does have wider isles.

or shop at times when supermarkets are almost empty (like our local Aldi at 8.05 am),so the idiots are a larger percentage?

We try and get there about 10 am, Tesco is reserved for essential workers before that hour.

I would suggest that a good 95% are following the arrows on the floor, its not that difficult, the one that don't are either wearing masks or over the age of about 80.

We are all in this together but as always some idiots do not believe it affects them. My MIL still thinks its only the Chinese that can catch it and we are doing all this to protect them. She wants them sent back to China so we can get back to normal.

Odd how each area appears to be having different experiences. I think some of it (including the problems in-store) and often to do with how well laid out the store is, especially where some better-designed ones have much wider aisles that can cope with 2-way traffic.

I've also noticed, at least in my neck of the woods, that certain times of the day are the best for certain types of shopping - with regards to how easy it is to keep a 2m distance in store/waiting time outside and the amount/quality of the stock (especially fresh food/staples):

• Best overall (if you can get in that early and are working from home): 8-8.30am - barely any waiting, if any, easy to get around in store with people who (mostly) know what they want and where to find it. Best stock levels generally, especially fresh stuff.
  • OK - 2-3pm - less stock available, but quiet after lunchtime and before the early shift and and now school run crowd come out. Rarely any waiting or queues in store. I find this is handy for going to buy 'top-up' groceries, i.e. stuff you like/can sources only from one store.
  • Not so good - 9-10am - busy with OAPs, longer waits, but decent stock levels. Similar for after 5pm, but more for poor stock and more young idiots in store doing as they please.
  • Bad - 10am - lunchtime: very busy, long waits, the lunchtime crowd added in (many of whom completely disregard the rules and go where they please because they're in a hurry), stock ok. Outside waiting of 30mins not unheard of at the big name stores.

Oddly enough, my local (smaller) Morrisions has, after a few mishaps regarding the working of the narrow aisles (it's not their shop - one they bought from Somerfield), it is rarely busy except on Saturdays. I often go there (on weeks I'm not giving my car a run-out) for shopping and it's quite close to it's pre-pandemic self.

The 'convenience store' versions of the supermarkets, after a frantic start, seem to have settled down in having at most half a dozen people waiting outside.

The bigger shops appear to have more variance in waiting and the in-store experience. Morrisons recently changed their outside waiting to two queues, one for baskets only and one for trolleys, allowing in 3 people with baskets for every one with a trolley.

Needless to say, this didn't reduce the queuing time for many people and wasn't liked by shoppers, especially when the instore queues for self-service were interfering with getting to certain parts of the store (in my case, the frozen food section)

What I think is still causing problems is the number of people:

1. Not making weekly meal plans of some desciption (or at least having some idea of what they are going to be cooking that week) and/or shopping lists and still aimlessly wandering around the supermarket, fingering goods, wasting time and potentially increasing their risk and of others to the virus.

Whilst many people now shop just once a week, many still 'pop in' for one or two items, sometimes daily. A few neighbours of mine do this.

2. Going shopping with a friend/flatmate/family member/spouse, when they could easily cope with just one person doing the shopping each time. With the one-way systems some shops employ, doing so makes it difficult for other shoppers, wasting time and TBH, I often see one of them just chatting and being of no use whatsoever.

Assuming shoppers are a fairly representative sample of the population, then 50% will by definition have below average intelligence. Possibly the more intelligent (like forum members) either have their shopping delivered or shop at times when supermarkets are almost empty (like our local Aldi at 8.05 am),so the idiots are a larger percentage?

I think you may have a false premise there, Galileo - it assumes that everyone from top to bottom of your scale goes shopping. Some may be 'bad' enough to have no way to buy anything.

Assuming shoppers are a fairly representative sample of the population, then 50% will by definition have below average intelligence. Possibly the more intelligent (like forum members) either have their shopping delivered or shop at times when supermarkets are almost empty (like our local Aldi at 8.05 am),so the idiots are a larger percentage?

I think you may have a false premise there, Galileo - it assumes that everyone from top to bottom of your scale goes shopping. Some may be 'bad' enough to have no way to buy anything.

A fair point Andrew, I did say "fairly representative", there will also be a minority who send their cook, housekeeper or other minion to shop for them.

Why are shoppers such idiots - Joe-Alex

Over the past few weeks it become very common to see shoppers in masks walking down the isles in the opposite way to the arrows that indicate the way you should walk just like the masks make them either immune or invisible. On one occasion a shop worker walked the wrong way and when I and other pointed out her error she laughed at us. When the shop was busier due to the impending bank holiday there were long queues for the tills and one shopper was insistent that the arrows had nothing t do with the way you should walk around the shop, they were only there when your were waiting for the tills, god hlep us if the queues got that long.

What do these people do when they are driving, do they ignore one way streets I wonder?

This morning we have been to Asda since Tesco appear to have stopped selling a few of the regular items we buy and they were shown as being available at Asda. Success, got them. But on the way out we met the village idiot. Wearing a mask(of course) he walked strait in through the exit ignoring all the signs and barriers plus the fact there was a queue waiting to enter the store. I commented that this was the exit and he pointed to his mask saying those rules did not apply. He was then stopped by store security, we left smiling to ourselves.

Agreed on all points. There seems to be a minority who believe that either the lockdown is over or that the rules just don't apply to them. I've seen it again and again whilst doing some shopping for my mum at Aldi. It is infuriating to see people wondering around with neither gloves or masks and then proceeding to pick up and fondle everything they are even considering buying.

Or, in my opinion, even worse, are the ditherers who stand there for more than 10 seconds wandering whether or not they should buy something. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to be shopping during the current circumstances, you should have a list and should know exactly what it is you are buying. But I'm probably just being a miserable sod...

We seem to have been brainwashed into thinking that getting within 2 metres of anyone is the essential 'yardstick', so to speak. We shouldn't forget that an important route of infection is hand to mouth, eye or nose. So it is vital that the store you visit keeps handles on trolleys and baskets disinfected. Even if wearing gloves you should remember not to scratch your nose etc.

On my brief shopping trips for small items I collect them into my own plastic bag, which I unload at the checkout. Hardly any contact needed with public surfaces. And then there is the keypad on the card device if you are paying over £45.

Why are shoppers such idiots - madf

I do our weekly shopping.

The idea that you stand a significant risk doing teh weekly shop is risible.

There are no cases I have seen of shopworkers catching Covid.. and if anyone is likely to be infected they would be before screens were installed.. I am not saying it did not happen but it appears unlikely.

Based on studies the Government refuses to relaese on testing, it would appear that the key risk areas are:

hospitals - infected medical staff infecting patients.

Care homes - infected care staff and residents.

But there are no statistics due to the Government's "open and transparent polcy"

We seem to have been brainwashed into thinking that getting within 2 metres of anyone is the essential 'yardstick', so to speak. We shouldn't forget that an important route of infection is hand to mouth, eye or nose. So it is vital that the store you visit keeps handles on trolleys and baskets disinfected. Even if wearing gloves you should remember not to scratch your nose etc.

Indeed - I often see many people touching their face, adjusting their mask (no gloves) and fingering many products on the shelves (especially in the fresh food section) before putting their perfect item in their trolly/basket.

I suspect there's been far more transmission (in-store) that way than by airborne route. I also agree that wearing a mask has given many people a feeling of overconfidence in the ability of the masks to stop droplets getting out (what they are mainly designed for) and thus they ditch many of the other infection control methodology.

On my brief shopping trips for small items I collect them into my own plastic bag, which I unload at the checkout. Hardly any contact needed with public surfaces. And then there is the keypad on the card device if you are paying over £45.

Some supermarkets are routinely spraying trolleys and baskets with (presumably) some kind of cleaner to reduce cross-infection. Not sure how effective it is, given the nature of them, and it can be a job keeping certain products dry, including our hands.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 06/06/2020 at 12:47

Some supermarkets are routinely spraying trolleys and baskets with (presumably) some kind of cleaner to reduce cross-infection. Not sure how effective it is, given the nature of them, and it can be a job keeping certain products dry, including our hands.

Since March we have been taking sanitising wipes with us when we go shopping, one type for the trolley and one type for our hands before we leave the car park.

Now the supermarket provides spray and paper at the entrance but that is after you collect a trolley from the car park and there is a chance of an infection before you spray and wipe, horse and stable door.

But if what I appeared to see the other week is true there is no point spraying at all. I was in the gents and one of the staff at the door came in and filled the sanitising spray bottle from a sink tap. I have no idea if he was diluting a concentrate but if it was just water what would be the point.

Really worrying when you think that he worked in the cafe before lockdown.

I have yet to see staff cleaning trolleys in the car park and the ones you return yourself can be taken by another customer before staff could clean them. It might be working with hand baskets but not trolleys.

I have yet to see staff cleaning trolleys in the car park and the ones you return yourself can be taken by another customer before staff could clean them. It might be working with hand baskets but not trolleys.

Our local Aldi do - after every use.By a staff member..

Sainsbury do not. Nor do Asda..

Buy cheap, buy safer! :-)

But if what I appeared to see the other week is true there is no point spraying at all. I was in the gents and one of the staff at the door came in and filled the sanitising spray bottle from a sink tap. I have no idea if he was diluting a concentrate but if it was just water what would be the point.

Maybe it was Holy Water! :-) You gotta love their cheek.

Really worrying when you think that he worked in the cafe before lockdown.

My local Tesco store gives waiting customers trolleys (unless they say they need a basket, and have to wait until the get inside), but the trolleys are sprayed with *something* in a clear bottle as they are returned to the 'handout' area where the new outside queuing area is.

As you say, this could easily be water, and they don't appear to actually 'clean' anything, just spray. I did find it 'amusing' that the two young blokes doing this also shared a single water bottle for drinking. Class.

My local (small) Morrisons store goes the same, but for baskets (few trolleys available), but I believe they do use something other than just water, as they baskets' handles are often a bit sticky as well as wet. Again, I'm unsure how much benefit this conveys.

I suspect them being out in direct sunlight helps a bit (UV). I always wash my hands before leaving to go to the shops anyway, and when I drive I try and use any hand sanitser they provide before entering the shop. Better to be safe than sorry for such a small task.

Why are shoppers such idiots - alan1302

Most likely a dilute - cheaper to buy a concentrate and then make up as and when needed.

Indeed - I often see many people touching their face, adjusting their mask (no gloves) and fingering many products on the shelves (especially in the fresh food section) before putting their perfect item in their trolly/basket.

I suspect there's been far more transmission (in-store) that way than by airborne route. I also agree that wearing a mask has given many people a feeling of overconfidence in the ability of the masks to stop droplets getting out (what they are mainly designed for) and thus they ditch many of the other infection control methodology.

Supermarkets use alcohol to saniitise trolleys...

Useful to know that its alcohol that comes out of the tap in the gents. Expect every young teen on the council estate to be in there drinking it when they find out.

Our local Aldi do - after every use.By a staff member..

Sainsbury do not. Nor do Asda..

Buy cheap, buy safer! :-)

Thinking about it B & Q do. An assistant passes you a cleaned trolley when you are in the queue waiting to enter the shop. When I went a few weeks ago all I wanted was a few small items but they insisted I had a trolley for H & S reasons. When I got to the tills the assistant asked me to leave the trolley and step back, she scanned the items moved the trolley away from the tills and asked me to pay, card only, when I had done that she moved back.

Useful to know that its alcohol that comes out of the tap in the gents. Expect every young teen on the council estate to be in there drinking it when they find out.

I sporay it on my hands after shopping..

So I KNOW itr's alocohol.

Just because you shop at a low rent place where they have no quality control does not mean we all do.... :-)

Why are shoppers such idiots - groaver

Re staff practices in shops:

witnessing personal hygiene in food premises prior to Covid arriving, the general standard was poor.

People involved in food preparation do not wash their hands nearly often enough as they should.

Most likely a dilute - cheaper to buy a concentrate and then make up as and when needed.

Do not have a problem with the shops diluting a concentrate but how do we know they are doing it to the correct percentage.At time like these we need correct not cheap.

I sporay it on my hands after shopping..

So I KNOW itr's alocohol.

Just because you shop at a low rent place where they have no quality control does not mean we all do.... :-)

We shop mainly at Tesco with the occasional trip to Asda. Neither of those are low rent.

Our local Aldi whilst cheap was always an absolute shambles when we went, gave up long ago. Unless they have tidied the place up and started keeping products in the same place week on week it must be a nightmare.

Our local Aldi whilst cheap was always an absolute shambles when we went, gave up long ago. Unless they have tidied the place up and started keeping products in the same place week on week it must be a nightmare.

Our local Aldi is a second-generation place, about two years old with spacious parking. I'm not a frequent visitor to supermarkets, but I find it one of the best. They don't go in for DiY checkouts (a good thing) and because of enormous barcoding the checkout staff can rush things through quickly, which means customers have to get stuff back into their trolleys fast. And stock is always in the same place, tho the aisles are sometimes a bit cluttered.

Our local Aldi is a second-generation place, about two years old with spacious parking. I'm not a frequent visitor to supermarkets, but I find it one of the best. They don't go in for DiY checkouts (a good thing) and because of enormous barcoding the checkout staff can rush things through quickly, which means customers have to get stuff back into their trolleys fast. And stock is always in the same place, tho the aisles are sometimes a bit cluttered.

A friend's daughter worked for Aldi for a few years, now a branch manager. Checkout staff are monitored on throughput speed which is why they are so fast. I have seen her filling shelves at busy times too, this is how they are trained.

A friend's daughter worked for Aldi for a few years, now a branch manager. Checkout staff are monitored on throughput speed which is why they are so fast. I have seen her filling shelves at busy times too, this is how they are trained.

Local management (as well as how well Head Office manages and monitors stores) makes a huge difference, as does the treatment and motivation of the staff.

The large-ish Morrisons a couple of towns over I visit every fortnight used to be a long-established Safeway before they got subsumed into the Morrisons group and is well run (especially the cafe which is always busy); the 5yo store (similar size) in my parents' town (about 35 miles away) is, in contrast, poor on both counts. It could also be the quality of the staff they employ, given my Tesco (which is ok, nothing more) is FAR better than their Tesco store (terrible).

Why are shoppers such idiots - alan1302

Do not have a problem with the shops diluting a concentrate but how do we know they are doing it to the correct percentage.At time like these we need correct not cheap.

We have no way to know I suppose without asking - we just assume it's done right - as with most things when you rely on someone else doing it.

Why are shoppers such idiots - bathtub tom

We have no way to know I suppose without asking - we just assume it's done right - as with most things when you rely on someone else doing it.

Like my cabin filter a main dealer charged £16 plus VAT on the last service. I found it upside down (UP and an arrow on it). £7 delivered for a replacement.

I have visions of winos stopping by late in the evening licking the trolleys...

Why are shoppers such idiots - Avant

I have deleted three posts all of which quoted the spam post above them - dodgy link and all.

I shouldn't have to say this - but please don't copy and paste spam.

Why are shoppers such idiots - Sofa Spud

My nomination for idiot shoppers are those who wear blue disposable plastic gloves BUT no mask. The gloves will give you no protection, since the gloves can be contaminated just as easily a your bare hands.

On the other hand it's now generally agreed that a mask does give a degree of protection.

Masks should be made compulsory for all shoppers and shop workers, especially if social distancing regulations are to be relaxed from 2 m to 1.5 m.

My nomination for idiot shoppers are those who wear blue disposable plastic gloves BUT no mask. The gloves will give you no protection, since the gloves can be contaminated just as easily a your bare hands.

On the other hand it's now generally agreed that a mask does give a degree of protection.

Masks should be made compulsory for all shoppers and shop workers, especially if social distancing regulations are to be relaxed from 2 m to 1.5 m.

There is only limited benefit at best, and, prior to the pandemic, this was to protect others (not the wearer) against spreading germs (not viruses, which can pass straight through the vast, vast majority of face masks) in a clinic environment and to give a small benefit if the wearer is sick.

This time, you can just as easily pass it via contact of surfaces (including of goods in the shop), even when wearing gloves, mainly because the user will not be competent in putting them on, using them and acting in a hygenic way as they would in a sterile enviroment like a operating theatre.

I mean, what do you do if you have an itchy nose or need to blow your nose/sneeze? All it takes is just one person to do the wrong thing (easily done), but wearing such masks and gloves, in my view, gives the wearer a false sense of security, leading them to undertake far more risky behaviour (as we've seen in the news) whilst simultaneously complaining about low risk behaviour elsewhere.

It should also be noted that breathing through a face mask increases the respiratory rate, putting more pressure of the system, increases the likelihood of breathing back in germs and viruses off the mask and generally is much more difficult to do over long periods by people with existing respiratory ailments, including asthma, which can be exacerbated by doing so.

The apparent risk of transmission (an average and likely to be an estimate) goes from 1.5% to 3% on extended close contact (over 15 minutes and presumably under 2m).

It's now generally acknowledged that if an infected person wears a mask it reduces the risk of spreading the virus to others. And if others are wearing masks, that reduces the risk of them contracting the virus. All the evidence from other countries suggest that masks are effective to some extent. The important thing to remember is that a mask isn't a guarantee against becoming infected but it's likely to reduce the risk somewhat. I wear a mask to the supermarket and I don't believe its led me to indulge in more risky behaviour.

I believe that when we were told early on that masks were of no use, that was just government propaganda aimed at reducing demand for masks when they were in short supply. If masks were no good, why was it so important that medical staff had to have PPE?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 12/06/2020 at 09:30

When the Mrs worked in theatre they were required to change masks frequently because as the user breathed the pores in the mask became moist and their effectiveness reduced eventually to the point of being totally ineffective.

That was a good few years ago and the materials may have changed but are those being sold to the general public of the same quality used by professionals.

How often do those people we see wearing masks when shopping replace or wash them? An ineffective mask is worse than no mask since it gives the wearer a feeling of being immune to the virus, witness their disregard for the one way systems and the 2m distance rules.

And what is it with those people that wear a mask when alone in their car?

Have to admit we bought some masks yesterday but for a specific purpose. The MIL has an hospital appointment next month (was March but has now been rescheduled) and wearing one will be required by both MIL and whoever goes with her. No idea how good they are, probably just cheap tat but without BS requirements you have to buy what is available and IMHO still be careful and keep 2m apart.

Exactly.

When the Mrs worked in theatre they were required to change masks frequently because as the user breathed the pores in the mask became moist and their effectiveness reduced eventually to the point of being totally ineffective.

That was a good few years ago and the materials may have changed but are those being sold to the general public of the same quality used by professionals.

Even now, masks become less effective after every use to the point of being useless. That said, I don't know whether it takes longer or not for masks to fail with today's current technological and material improvements.

And the masks sold to the general public generally aren't medical grade unless it specifically states otherwise. Not that that fact matters much as they both have very different applications.

How often do those people we see wearing masks when shopping replace or wash them? An ineffective mask is worse than no mask since it gives the wearer a feeling of being immune to the virus, witness their disregard for the one way systems and the 2m distance rules.

Agreed. More so because anything caught in the mask isn't going to just evaporate. And we know people are touching their masks, then touching stuff around them, potentially spreading contaminants.

Why shouldn't they if they feel safer with it? Though there could be numerous reasons. Two off the top of my head are:

1. Taxi driver - have dozens of people in and out all shift. The taxi drivers I've used recently have all been wearing masks.

2. Parents - they could be out after doing the school run and, not knowing who or what their child has been in contact with all day, doesn't fancy taking the risk. My sister's partner used to leave work, pick up the girls, and then go back to work every day.

Have to admit we bought some masks yesterday but for a specific purpose. The MIL has an hospital appointment next month (was March but has now been rescheduled) and wearing one will be required by both MIL and whoever goes with her. No idea how good they are, probably just cheap tat but without BS requirements you have to buy what is available and IMHO still be careful and keep 2m apart.

Agreed with maintaining social distancing and being careful. This situation is far from done. The masks are likely to prevent people spraying spittle about the place (we all do it), rather than to prevent you catching something.

Why are shoppers such idiots - Bromptonaut

There's been talk when discussing shopping about people handling goods and returning them to the shelves. Obviously best avoided but Aldi continue to mix different variations of product (eg stir fry sauce, bacon or cheese) in the same display box.

Yesterday it was only possible to obtain sliced plain Bavarian cheese by physically sorting it from the versions with ham or jalapeno. It took a thorough search of a box of stir fry sauces to ascertain that only two of the four varieties shown were actually available.

<< The masks are likely to prevent people spraying spittle about the place (we all do it), rather than to prevent you catching something. >>

Speak for yourself, sir. I think I can claim not to spray spittle around, as I keep my mouth shut as much as possible. Sneezing and coughing are the most effective ways to spray, and I can't remember when I last did either in a public place.

Why shouldn't they if they feel safer with it? Though there could be numerous reasons. Two off the top of my head are:

1. Taxi driver - have dozens of people in and out all shift. The taxi drivers I've used recently have all been wearing masks.

I never mentioned Taxi. I used the words their car.

2. Parents - they could be out after doing the school run and, not knowing who or what their child has been in contact with all day, doesn't fancy taking the risk. My sister's partner used to leave work, pick up the girls, and then go back to work every day.

And what would that achieve. I accept that kids could pick up a bug a school but do parents who wear masks in the car when driving their kids to and from continue to wear the masks in their own home, if they don't they would still be at risk.

I never mentioned Taxi. I used the words their car.

Some taxi drivers own the vehicles they use for work. Also, Uber drivers (or equivalent).

And what would that achieve. I accept that kids could pick up a bug a school but do parents who wear masks in the car when driving their kids to and from continue to wear the masks in their own home, if they don't they would still be at risk.

I couldn't possibly say.

To be blunt though, why does it even matter? If they feel safer doing so, then so be it.

<< The masks are likely to prevent people spraying spittle about the place (we all do it), rather than to prevent you catching something. >>

Speak for yourself, sir. I think I can claim not to spray spittle around, as I keep my mouth shut as much as possible. Sneezing and coughing are the most effective ways to spray, and I can't remember when I last did either in a public place.

Nor do I, but I think spittle may have been the wrong word to use. Maybe particulate would be more apt? Either way, my point is that it is to stop you spreading particulates rather than stopping you from absorbing them. I could be wrong though.

I still go with the idea that wearing a mask reduces the risk of being infected by others and also reduces the risk of oneself spreading the virus if infected. Logic would suggest masks work in both directions to some extent, although nobody's claiming they're anything like 100% effective.

Why are shoppers such idiots - FP

I think the point is that bog-standard masks are much better at filtering what comes out of your orifices than what goes in.

If everyone wearing masks in public places reduces average risk of people contracting covid-19 by even 20%, that could mean the difference between the R number being above or below 1. That means a difference between a slight increase in infections and a slight decrease.

We mustn't lose sight of the fact that it's theoretically possible to eradicate covid-19 by blocking all means of transmission. In reality that's very difficult to do because we all have to go shopping etc.or we might need medical attention for whatever reason. But every weapon in the armory for reducing the spread should be used so that the day when we have no more cases is brought as close as possible.

I think it has spread too wide around the world to be able to eradicate it, and we can't stop it coming back by stopping all international travel. It's not as though (even now) we can isolate and test every international traveller before letting them in.

I also don't think that masks are as good as some believe, especially as the countries that regularly use them are a) used to doing so and b) very regimented and often restrictive societies, even 'westernised' ones like South Korea. I see so many people using them incorrestly, touching them all the time, taking them off to eat and putting the down. Even the medical experts are very sceptical about the use of them (also see below).

Using them also reduces our bodies' ability to fight off other infections and viruses that we'd normally pick up and thus our immune systems would be degraded. I have to wonder sometimes whether people in the Far East who use masks a LOT even when there are no epidemics/pandemics actually contribute to those areas having them more often to start with.

One other point is that many people who already have chronic respiratory diseases will find using masks very hard, because they seriously restrict air movement into/out of the lungs. I myself suffer from asthma and have used face masks over the years as an engineer, and do not like using them at all - only getting by for short periods (15-30 mins max). Even worse at this time of the year when hot/humid weather is about.

Not sure how I'd cope with using them on train and tube journeys of 90mins and more.

I think it has spread too wide around the world to be able to eradicate it, and we can't stop it coming back by stopping all international travel. It's not as though (even now) we can isolate and test every international traveller before letting them in.

I also don't think that masks are as good as some believe, especially as the countries that regularly use them are a) used to doing so and b) very regimented and often restrictive societies, even 'westernised' ones like South Korea. I see so many people using them incorrestly, touching them all the time, taking them off to eat and putting the down. Even the medical experts are very sceptical about the use of them (also see below).

Using them also reduces our bodies' ability to fight off other infections and viruses that we'd normally pick up and thus our immune systems would be degraded. I have to wonder sometimes whether people in the Far East who use masks a LOT even when there are no epidemics/pandemics actually contribute to those areas having them more often to start with.

One other point is that many people who already have chronic respiratory diseases will find using masks very hard, because they seriously restrict air movement into/out of the lungs. I myself suffer from asthma and have used face masks over the years as an engineer, and do not like using them at all - only getting by for short periods (15-30 mins max). Even worse at this time of the year when hot/humid weather is about.

Not sure how I'd cope with using them on train and tube journeys of 90mins and more.

No, no, no, no, NO! (Matt Dillahunty quote) Wearing a mask does NOT weaken your immune system. Damn Facebook for spreading this rubbish.

There is very little science to back the claim that wearing a mask weakens your immune system (I can't find anything other than opinion pieces). If wearing a face covering for 2-3 months weakened our immune systems in any significant way, humanity would have died out centuries ago*. You inhale, absorb or otherwise take in enough bacteria throughout the day just by walking your dog, taking your daily exercise, or relaxing in your garden.

*Hyperbole, but you should get the point.

The people in the East generally wear masks to protect themselves from factory and vehicle emissions. If they truly did weaken the immune system, those living in China would be dropping like flies as their cities are cramped, busy, and have less stringent health and food control measures.

The face masks that most of the public use are not generally used for protecting the person wearing it, rather it is to protect others from the droplets we all release when breathing and speaking (with droplets being the primary transmission method of the disease).

Also, Polio was a global thing and that has almost been eradicated. The only reason it hasn't is because of religious zealots in Afghanistan and Pakistan refusing to allow civilians to be immunized. The only cases we've had in the UK have been reactions to the jabs we all get (if we're sensible).

Edited by Joe-Alex on 03/07/2020 at 20:31

If wearing a face mask weakens teh immune system, surgeons world wide would be dropping dead daily as their job neccessitates wearing a mask daily.

If wearing a face mask weakens teh immune system, surgeons world wide would be dropping dead daily as their job neccessitates wearing a mask daily.

To both of you, I didn't say that wearing a maskper se weakens the immune system - but it does lessen the amount of ordinary viruses and germs we would otherwise normally get, and the ONLY natural way our body fights them off is to get them once or twice and acquire natural immunity, whether completely or to some degree.

One of the reasons why so many of us from the post WWII era have allergies is because we are not exposed to many of them as a child - which is why parents are now (until COVID) encouraged to take very young children into the countryside and expose them to a range of airbourne germs, viruses and allergens when their bodies can easily adapt, as many younger children have to COVID.

With medical staff, they wear them to mainly protect the patients from germs etc whilst treating them. It should be noted that a much higher percentage of clinical staff HAVE been adversely affected by COVID than in the general population, even taking into account where they work. In particular, those who originate from countries where, as children, they had poor diets and sanitation, resulting in lowered immune systems for life.

No, no, no, no, NO! (Matt Dillahunty quote) Wearing a mask does NOT weaken your immune system. Damn Facebook for spreading this rubbish.

I didn't say that per se - see my other response below for more.

There is very little science to back the claim that wearing a mask weakens your immune system (I can't find anything other than opinion pieces). If wearing a face covering for 2-3 months weakened our immune systems in any significant way, humanity would have died out centuries ago*. You inhale, absorb or otherwise take in enough bacteria throughout the day just by walking your dog, taking your daily exercise, or relaxing in your garden.

So why is it that so many people nowadays suffer from allegies, etc?

The people in the East generally wear masks to protect themselves from factory and vehicle emissions. If they truly did weaken the immune system, those living in China would be dropping like flies as their cities are cramped, busy, and have less stringent health and food control measures.

They are - the Chinese government just lied about it. Even a blind man could see that.

The face masks that most of the public use are not generally used for protecting the person wearing it, rather it is to protect others from the droplets we all release when breathing and speaking (with droplets being the primary transmission method of the disease).

If nature thought that wearing masks 24/7 was great, it would've had some species have them via natural slection by now. That none have and (barring human intervention and rocks falling from the sky) we're all still here 1M years later means that we don't need them for the most part.

Also, Polio was a global thing and that has almost been eradicated. The only reason it hasn't is because of religious zealots in Afghanistan and Pakistan refusing to allow civilians to be immunized. The only cases we've had in the UK have been reactions to the jabs we all get (if we're sensible).

Some vaccines work well. Others do not. I never got the flu until the year I was offered a flu jab (about 8 years ago) on the NHS. Since then, for the 5 times I got a jab, I got the flu (twice REALLY BAD - off work for 2 weeks [I'm now in my mid 40s]). Now I don't qualify for a free jab because my asthma was downgraded as 'not chronic' (no 'brown inhailor'), and so no jab since 2017. I haven't had the flu since.

I'm not some anti-vaxxer, but as an engineer, I'm trained not to believe everything I'm told at face value and will check and question.

Especially when certain multi-billionairres who 'donate' lots to 'charities' that do vaccination programmes (some of whom have been discredited and chucked out of countries for causing deaths because they were, in effect, illegal, unauthorised human tests) who will gain 10x more because they also invest in vaccine R&D and have been pushing for annual ones and draconian 'social credit' systems to enforce them rather than at most 'lifetime' (one-off) vaccines like for polio that have actually been thoroughly tested over many years before taking them to market.

You do realise or rather you don't appear to - the flu is not one unchanged virus but one with multiple different strains? And it mutates all the time.

Each is different.

The vaccination you get is a one off for what are forecast to be the common strains next year. Sometimes, the forecasts are wrong. They need to forecast as the lead times to make enough vaccine is months.

If you don't know this - and it is basic stuff- then I question your ability to comment with any authority on any medical issues as what I state above is simple basic stuff anyone who did ANY research would know about.

So I assume it' all opinion and no facts.

I have been having the flu vaccine since about 2008 when my mother and father needed help form me and the wife. We could not afford to be unable to help. Wife got hers free form the NHS and then the County Council when she moved jobs, I have had to pay for mine.

In October 2016 I was refused a jab since in the past I had reacted badly to treatment and it was suspected to be latex allergy, that years vaccine had a warning. Move on to February and I was hit by the real flu, not man flu. For 3 weeks I was unable to visit mother who shortly after I became unwell had some medical episode (never fully explained) and because I was ill I was unable to visit her. She was eventually discharged and I did get to see her in the nursing home before she died.

Later that year I went to see the doctor and explained the previous situation and he simply said I'll do it now if you wish, you should be fine, I was. Did not want to risk the flu again since we still had dad to look after.

Its your choice but for me to get flu only once in those 12 years does not prove I would not have got it after a jab but living in the same house the wife did not suffer which kind of suggests that years jab did work that year.

<< So why is it that so many people nowadays suffer from allergies, etc? >>

Possibly because there are more 'unnatural' contaminants in the atmosphere, and additives in processed food, since the WW2 you mention? Though I agree with the old adage that one should eat a peck of dirt in a lifetime, not taking every conceivable precaution to avoid ingesting or inhaling something unexpected.

As an example, a long-standing friend of ours developed a strange food allergy which was eventually tied down to one of the E-numbers, an emulsifier in margarine or edible fat.

"Along with the U.S., Germany, Italy and Norway had the highest prevalence of food sensitivity — with about 22 percent of people from each country showing antibodies against some type of food.

The lowest rates were seen in Iceland (11 percent), Spain (11 percent), France and the UK (each around 14 percent)."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-food/rates-of-food-sensitivity-vary-by-country-study-idUSTRE62B45220100312#:~:text=Along%20with%20the%20U.S.%2C%20Germany,

against%20some%20type%20of%20food.

Edited by Avant on 05/07/2020 at 13:38

Its not just shoppers that are idiots. I read that the police have been closing pubs because people cannot use them according to the guidelines.

It seems to me that some of the public are hell bent on ensuring there is a second wave when a bit of common sense should help keep infections as low as possible.

I fear another total lock down in the very near future.

It would be OK if the idiots were the ones that died of Corona Virus but as usual with idiots they are the ones who will have mild symptoms, its the decent folk who will die.

Its not just shoppers that are idiots. I read that the police have been closing pubs because people cannot use them according to the guidelines.

It seems to me that some of the public are hell bent on ensuring there is a second wave when a bit of common sense should help keep infections as low as possible.

It would be OK if the idiots were the ones that died of Corona Virus but as usual with idiots they are the ones who will have mild symptoms, its the decent folk who will die.

I am planning on the basis there will be a second wave and lockdown again will not work.

( I note investigation show sweat shops were working in Leicester with no social distancing during the lockdown and paying under £4 an hour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8490753/Investigation-reveals-Leicester-clothes-workers-supplying-Boohoo-paid-little-3-50-hour.html

As if the council did not know....

I( I note investigation show sweat shops were working in Leicester with no social distancing during the lockdown and paying under £4 an hour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8490753/Investigation-reveals-Leicester-clothes-workers-supplying-Boohoo-paid-little-3-50-hour.html

As if the council did not know....

The cynical among us would suggest that some councillors (not just in Leicester) have personal financial interests in these activities or in turning a blind eye as a favour to someone.

(As in the case of the Conservative minister who expedited a planning approval to save his friend £40 million)

Council decisions and policies often seem contrary to public interest and common sense (and under current restrictions on meetings, proper scrutiny by all councillors has not been possible in my area).

Well, just in case of something going awry, I'm getting a very short haircut very soon, just in case all the barbers, etc suddenly have to close again for months. I absolutely loathe having long hair.

When out for a walk yesterday I did see a number of covidiots out and about, including some people having a party where several groups of friends drove there for a house party.

Class.

I just hope this all doesn't end in tears.

Why are shoppers such idiots - bathtub tom
When out for a walk yesterday I did see a number of covidiots out and about, including some people having a party where several groups of friends drove there for a house party.

I reckon this government can't afford further lockdown, so they've no option other than to loosen restrictions and let the young build up 'herd immunity'. The covidiots are no great loss to society if they succumb fatally.

Me? I'm staying put.

I didn't say that per se - see my other response below for more.

So why is it that so many people nowadays suffer from allegies, etc?

What do you mean 'people nowadays'? People have always suffered with allergies. I fail to see what that has to do with masks.

They are - the Chinese government just lied about it. Even a blind man could see that.

About the covid-19 deaths? Yes, I'm aware of the Chinese government lying when reporting deaths to the WHO. Again, I don't see how this relates to the use of masks though.

If nature thought that wearing masks 24/7 was great, it would've had some species have them via natural slection by now. That none have and (barring human intervention and rocks falling from the sky) we're all still here 1M years later means that we don't need them for the most part.

I'm not an evolutionary biologist so I couldn't really say. I'm not saying we need masks to survive, I'm saying that they are proven to help limit the spread of infection during a global pandemic.

Some vaccines work well. Others do not. I never got the flu until the year I was offered a flu jab (about 8 years ago) on the NHS. Since then, for the 5 times I got a jab, I got the flu (twice REALLY BAD - off work for 2 weeks [I'm now in my mid 40s]). Now I don't qualify for a free jab because my asthma was downgraded as 'not chronic' (no 'brown inhailor'), and so no jab since 2017. I haven't had the flu since.

I'm not some anti-vaxxer, but as an engineer, I'm trained not to believe everything I'm told at face value and will check and question.

But what happened to you personally doesn't really prove anything at all, hence science being based on replicable evidence and not anecdotal evidence.

I share your stance on not taking everything at face value.

Especially when certain multi-billionairres who 'donate' lots to 'charities' that do vaccination programmes (some of whom have been discredited and chucked out of countries for causing deaths because they were, in effect, illegal, unauthorised human tests) who will gain 10x more because they also invest in vaccine R&D and have been pushing for annual ones and draconian 'social credit' systems to enforce them rather than at most 'lifetime' (one-off) vaccines like for polio that have actually been thoroughly tested over many years before taking them to market.

I can't speak to this as I have not researched it at all. I have heard mutterings of Bill Gates doing the rounds on Facebook though. Any links you'd like to share?