Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - Shncas
Hey ??,

So I’m looking to buy a 2015 1.4Tsi MK7 Golf.
I’ve noticed some have annual tax of £30 and other have annual tax of £125. I know this is due to one have Co2 of 120 and the other being 123.

But why do the exact same cars have different Co2 output? Is one engine newer than the other?
Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - badbusdriver

Without looking into it, a couple of possibilities come to mind. First is that the engine has at least two power outputs, which almost certainly would mean a difference in emissions. But the more likely explanation is to do with the tyre size. A lower spec Golf will have smaller diameter wheels with narrower tyres, which in turn lower the emissions from that of a higher spec car with wider tyres.

Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - lucklesspedestrian

Pretty sure ours was £125 that was a 2014 with the 122 ps engine. For some reason models after about 2015 were rated at (I think) 125 ps. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

Either way, great cars, great engines, just check that the heater is blowing equally hot on the drivers and passengers sides as the heater matrix gets clogged on these and it's a b***er to fix. Not and issue at the moment but it will be in the winter!

Pretty sure ours was £125 that was a 2014 with the 122 ps engine. For some reason models after about 2015 were rated at (I think) 125 ps. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

Either way, great cars, great engines, just check that the heater is blowing equally hot on the drivers and passengers sides as the heater matrix gets clogged on these and it's a b***er to fix. Not and issue at the moment but it will be in the winter!

I think you may be right. Some modification during the model year in question dropped the emissions into the lower tax bracket. I have just had a look on Autotrader at 2015 Golf 1.4TSI's. I have not gone through them all(!), but grading the results from highest to lowest price, picking some out at random from the first few pages, all are in the £30 tax, regardless of being the higher or lower powered version. Swap the results so it goes from lowest to highest price, and the few ads i picked at random said £125 tax.

Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - elhacko

Until recently I owned a 2013 1.4 Golf Tsi ACT GT 148 - a wonderful car, 100% reliable (including DSG 'box) and an amazing engine. So, almost 150 bhp but VED was just £20. Joy all round!

Edited by elhacko on 02/06/2020 at 09:13

Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - SLO76
Even different wheel sizes can make a difference. When we were ordering a new Honda CRV 1.6 DTEC the SE fell into the £20 bracket and the SR £120. The only real difference was wider wheels and tyres.
Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - Engineer Andy
Even different wheel sizes can make a difference. When we were ordering a new Honda CRV 1.6 DTEC the SE fell into the £20 bracket and the SR £120. The only real difference was wider wheels and tyres.

Indeed - the (under the skin) very similar KIA Niro and Hyundai ioniq are in different VED groups, especially the difference between those shod on skinny 15in tyres and the 17in lower profile ones of the Niro and upper range Ioniq models.

This was very significant when the £0 rated VED and the several bands was in place, before the change to £0 for zero emissions (I think) and £140 (or £145) for every other car after year 1 of ownership. All becuase of a set of wheels/tyres.

Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - daveyjp

VAG had so many issues with the various 1.4tsi engines it was changed on an almost annual basis. These changes will have affected emissions. Options also affect emissions as they add weight. The extra weight is converted into an estimated increase in emissions.

Rather than £100 difference in tax what you need to research is which of the engines have the most problems and avoid those. Not easy as all are TSi so you need engine codes.

Audi, VW and Skoda Owners clubs are all good sources of information.

Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - thunderbird

VAG had so many issues with the various 1.4tsi engines it was changed on an almost annual basis.

Having researched this before we bought a 1.0 TSi Fabia it seems all the issues were with the earlier chain cam 1.4 TSi especially the one that was both turbo and supercharged. All Mk 7 Golfs were fitted with the newer belt cam TSi which is not related to the earlier engine other than in name and every report I have read (even on this VAG hating forum) has said what a superb engine it is with no reliability issues.

Just looked on Parkers Guide the 125 PS (May 15 on) has a combined mpg 54, CO's of 120 with VED of £30 whereas the 122 PS version (August 14 to May 15) is 53 mpg with CO's of 123 with VED of £125. Small differences in the spec but they add about £100 a year to your bills.

So you need to buy a 2016 model year car which would have been available for probably September 2015. But be aware, many earlier cars would still have been in stock thus you need to see the V5C to check the specs.

Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - Ethan Edwards

Trying to make sense of HMGs VED regime....aww bless.. Like a lot of things it "passeth all understanding".

Volkswagen Golf - GOLF 1.4 TSI.. Road tax £30 v £125?? - alan1302

Trying to make sense of HMGs VED regime....aww bless.. Like a lot of things it "passeth all understanding".

Thought it was simply down to emissions of the car?

Thought it was simply down to emissions of the car?

If you are looking at different cars of the same age below £40k, yes. But if you are looking at cars of different ages, well that isn't so clear!. For example, there was a thread recently where the OP was considering, amongst others, a BMW i3. For the range extender version, road tax is free, but only for cars registered before 31/3/17, after that it is £135, despite the emissions being the same (and assuming the list price did not exceed £40k)!.

For cars with a list price of more than £40k (and this includes cars whose price has been pushed over £40k due to optional extras), according to the GOV website, will cost an extra £325 per year for 5 years, from the 2nd time the vehicle is taxed (i.e, 6 years). Quite why they couldn't just say, "till the car is 6 years old" is anyones guess, but certainly adds weight to the whole system being needlessly complicated.