Summer madness - convertible - Kobie
Hi
Need some advice !!
I’m just out of hospital after having a health scare with pneumonia, etc - no fun!
Thankfully I am on the mend and feel truely fortunate.

I’m in my late 50’s now and always promised myself a convertible as a second car.
I’m must confess that I’m not a petrol head hence the ask - but looking for a 4 seater convertible - I’m planning on spending 10-12k. I doubt I’ll do more than 6k a year in it.
So my 1st question is do I just lease a new one or buy something older ?

Make and models - I live in Scotland so I’m hoping the get the roof off for a few hours a year.
I saw these bmw hats top and quite liked them but a series 4 is a bit of a stretch.
Also, should I look at a car that has a large panoramic sunroof?

Thoughts and comments pls !!
Cheers
Summer madness - convertible - Avant

Welcome back Kobie (after 9 years!) - glad to hear you're on the mend.

Convertibes come in and out of fashion, and at the moment there aren;t all that many 4-seater convertibles on the market. Audi still have the A5 but apparently the new model A3 won't include a convertible. My wife has an A3 convertble which is a year old now and we love it.

For your budget you could get a newish A3 or A5: stick to petrol as you're going to do a low mileage. If you prefer a BMW, try to find one with a six-cylinder engine. The straight-six is gorgeous and generally thought to be more reliable than the four. Mercedes convertibles are bigger and more expensive. The VW Golf was available as a cabrio until about 2016. There's a Lexus but this may be more of a 2 + 2.

Beware that the rear seats in convertibles like these have very limited legroom, and with the hood down rear passengers are blown about a lot. But fun for kids on a short journey.

Panoramic sunroofs let in the light but usually the opening is quite small. Some of them don't open at all, which seems rather pointless.

Summer madness - convertible - drd63

Slightly left field choice but how about a DS3 cabrio. Should be able to get a pretty good example for your budget.

Summer madness - convertible - barney100

E class convertible, 10 12k will get a decent one if you search around.

Summer madness - convertible - S40 Man

If you're not a badge snob, how about a Vauxhall Cascada, you can pick up a 16 plate for your budget.

Summer madness - convertible - Engineer Andy

Might be worth looking at cars that have a removeable/retractable (a reliable one) hard top rather than a soft-top.

Bearing in mind that a near neighbour (to me, in Eastern England) apparently just parted ways with his Ford Mustang V8 after it nearly bankrupted him because he did a whopping 30k miles last year in it! God knows how much fuel that must have used.

Note that cars with panaramic sunroofs must use far more fuel to keep the car cool (with the roof closed - like a greenhouse) in warmer weather using the AC or to overcome the extra drag when it's open on the move.

Summer madness - convertible - RT

Might be worth looking at cars that have a removeable/retractable (a reliable one) hard top rather than a soft-top.

Bearing in mind that a near neighbour (to me, in Eastern England) apparently just parted ways with his Ford Mustang V8 after it nearly bankrupted him because he did a whopping 30k miles last year in it! God knows how much fuel that must have used.

Note that cars with panaramic sunroofs must use far more fuel to keep the car cool (with the roof closed - like a greenhouse) in warmer weather using the AC or to overcome the extra drag when it's open on the move.

Many cars with panoramic sunroofs have a full length internal blind to reduce heat gain in summer and heat loss in winter.

My SUV has a panoramic sunroof and it is a nice to have.

Summer madness - convertible - John F

Not so. If you look at a car from above you will see that the surface area of the windows admitting sunlight is far greater than that of a panoramic roof. Anyway, the better ones, e.g.my A8, are tinted and have an integrated solar panel which automatically powers a fan when the sun shines to cool the interior if parked outside. It also has a floating lip to combat fuel-sapping air turbulence, but if going that fast it gets closed.

Our Peugeot 2008's huge panoramic roof has a surprisingly small effect on interior temperature, especially if we remember to extend the white blind under it. Its main benefit is to create a pleasantly bright ambience during the many dark days of winter.

And to the OP - suggest consider a Lexus SC. Good cars, but they were rather unfashionable and therefore now excellent VFM. If only doing a tiny mileage, fuel consumption should not be an issue.