Private Hire driver - need used car - 5 past 3

Birmingham are to introduce "clean air zone" charge next month (June 2020)

I currently have a 2010 Insignia, I'm looking to change my car, not really sure where to begin with hybrid, low emissions, electric etc., etc., I find it all confusing,

My budget would be around £5/6K

Any suggestions, or can someone point me in the right direction

Edited by 5 past 3 on 19/05/2020 at 15:55

Private Hire driver - need used car - 72 dudes

At that budget, you're quite limited.

The obvious choice would be a Toyota Prius, but having done a 10 mile search of Birmingham, there are only a few of these at your price and they are the older 1.5 litre models.

There's a couple of Honda Insights which are slightly newer and with reasonable mileage but having driven one, they are pretty awful compared to a Prius. Might be a practical solution though.

OK, thanks for replying dudes, it's a challenge

Private Hire driver - need used car - mcintosh

Honda Civic hybrid maybe? Although probably even rarer than the Insight.

The Toyota Auris hybrid hatchback is maybe too small to be a taxi but the Touring Sports might be OK. The problem is finding one at that budget.

Private Hire driver - need used car - daveyjp

You need a Euro 6 diesel or Euro 4 petrol. A hybrid will be like trying to find hen's teeth.

If it is anything like my area any decent hybrid will already be a taxi, anything being sold will have been a taxi.

Private Hire driver - need used car - mcintosh

You need a Euro 6 diesel or Euro 4 petrol.

This is the way to go, especially if the OP wants something of a similar size to the Insignia.

Edited by mcintosh on 19/05/2020 at 17:38

Private Hire driver - need used car - barney100

if you are self employed then I guess you can claim for some expenses incurred in your work. I would get advice from a good accountant to see exactly what your position is.

Private Hire driver - need used car - Big John

The Skoda Superb mkII 1.4tsi petrol just about fits into your budget - Still surprisingly economical, on my 2014 facelift version overall fuel economy is over 45mpg and it's Euro 5 so ok for the Birmingham clean air zone (the diesel version is also Euro 5 but diesel cars need to be Euro 6 for Birmingham!). These have loads of interior space and huge boots (both hatch and estate )

If you want a diesel, Volvo did some earlier D4 engined cars that were Euro 6 - well before 2015

Edited by Big John on 22/05/2020 at 20:48

Private Hire driver - need used car - Avant

I had a Volvo V60 with the D4 engine and it was no more economical than Big John's Superb - and less economical that the Audi A1 1.4 petrol that SWMBO had at the time.

If you want a diesel for private hire, then an Octavia or Superb 2.0 TDI will give you well over 50 mpg.

Edited by Avant on 22/05/2020 at 23:21

If you want a diesel for private hire, then an Octavia or Superb 2.0 TDI will give you well over 50 mpg.

The problem is a Superb II 2.0 tdi is Euro 5 so will have to pay the Birmingham clean air charge and the Euro 6 Superb III would not be within the budget. Also you'll struggle with an Octavia III Euro 6 diesel at a suitable price.

At least with the Birmingham clean air charge a petrol euro 4 car is ok, for now - hence my suggestion of the Euro 5 petrol Superb II. To be clear "Any diesel car not conforming to Euro 6 emission standards and any petrol car not conforming to Euro 4 emission standards will need to pay the CAZ charge"

Edited by Big John on 23/05/2020 at 00:00

Thanks for all the replies so far, I've no experience in car makes, performance, suitability, I've bought previously on what catches my eye, as a PH driver, now, it's different matter now s, hence, why I'm seeking your advice

I've decided to change from diesel to petrol, so, if I've understood the advice above correctly,

I need Euro 4 petrol (no CAZ charge)

Based on my budget, either

Skoda Superb mkII 1.4tsi petrol

or

Volvo V60 with the D4

Volvo V60 with the D4

I'll see what "autotrader" has on offer

Private Hire driver - need used car - Avant

You need to think specifically what you'll use it for. If you are going to take a family of four on an airport run when things return to normal, the Superb will accommodate them and their luggage easily but the V60 won't. If you prefer a Volvo, think about a V70.

This was just a suggestion - other petrols are available and have been Euro 4 + for some time. Totota hybrids are good as taxis but on the budget specified you are likely to get a shed.

I've always been amazed at the real life economy of the 1.4tsi though. For the same driving style and journeys I used to average about 50mpg with my previous Superb mkI 1.9 diesel and my overal mpg with the 1.4tsi is over 45 mpg - I thought this was going to be worse when I bought it!

Edited by Big John on 23/05/2020 at 11:58

Private Hire driver - need used car - Engineer Andy

What about a Skoda Rapid 1.2 TSI? Big boot for the size of car, cheap, economical and nippy enough. I think there was some issues previously with the timing chains, but when were they resolved? Not sure if the newer 1.0 TSIs would be under the budget.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 23/05/2020 at 12:11

Private Hire driver - need used car - thunderbird

What about a Skoda Rapid 1.2 TSI? Big boot for the size of car, cheap, economical and nippy enough. I think there was some issues previously with the timing chains, but when were they resolved? Not sure if the newer 1.0 TSIs would be under the budget.

Yest they have a big boot but th space for passengers in the rear is poor. 3 adults in the back would be an issue on anything but a short town run.

Remember that the Rapid was a Mk2 Fabia with a bit stuck on the back to make a big boot.

Private Hire driver - need used car - badbusdriver

Certainly a popular taxi in my neck of the woods along with it's twin, the Seat Toledo. But 3 adults on the back seat is going to be a squeeze due to the narrow cabin.

Private Hire driver - need used car - SLO76
How are you financing it, is it savings or borrowing? I wouldn’t buy a £5-£6k diesel or hybrid for taxi use as neither will likely be economically viable for long. A cheap bank loan opens up at £7.5k at less than 3% APR which will be tax deductible here and it’ll allow a better car to be bought.

One thing to consider - I think some clean air zones have been delayed for a small while because of Covid and the need for people to drive rather than using public transport:-

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-05/coronavirus-clean-air-zones-in-manchester-leeds-and-birmingham-delayed/

Private Hire driver - need used car - gordonbennet

If you're going petrol, then also consider running LPG which in certain sites in cities like B'ham is available from 44ppl.

You could run a simpler NA engine and be more economical overal then even a hybrid, but if this is a consideration check carefully on the suitability of the vehicle's engine design to easy long term durable conversion , plus cars without a suitable spare wheel well for the gas tank won't be much use for taxi work if there's a lump of a tank sitting in the boot, also check the local authority has no issues with lpg...i dount LPG will be exempt from the current changes re euro 4 etc but worth a look.

Cheers for all the helpful replies, my car knowledge is zilch, however, I've now realised I need a ULAZ (CAZ)

I've managed to increase my budget to £8K, I'm looking for 2ltr, 5dr auto,

Car showrooms open tomorrow, I'll take a tour round see what's on offer.

Once again, cheers for all the advice

Private Hire driver - need used car - SLO76
“ I've managed to increase my budget to £8K, I'm looking for 2ltr, 5dr auto,”

Well if it must be an auto immediately remove any VAG products such as the Skoda Octavia, Superb, VW Passat etc as the DSG gearbox simply isn’t robust enough to stand up to the job of a taxi. Remove also anything with Ford’s weak Powershift box also. I’d favour a Honda Accord 2.2 DTEC Auto here, preferably the estate. If it meets the required emissions regs.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/06/2020 at 02:46

Private Hire driver - need used car - Heidfirst

I've managed to increase my budget to £8K, I'm looking for 2ltr, 5dr auto,

If you can find one it might be worth looking at a Toyota Avensis Touring Sport (estate) 1.8 auto. It's a CVT but very reliable, returns similar mpg to the manual (so probably ~40mpg) & iirc the 1.8 CVT was actually HJ's favourite version of the Avensis T27.

If you're going petrol, then also consider running LPG which in certain sites in cities like B'ham is available from 44ppl.

I used to be a fan of LPG but around me the LPG filling stations seem to be vanishing one by one. Also companies that used to convert and service lpg installations also becoming rare.