SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - andymet87

Hi all,

We're very lucky and expecting twins to join us in August/September. We currently have a 3 year old son. So increasing from 1 to 3 children at once!

We currently have a clio and smart forfour, neither of which will fit the whole family once the twins arrive so new cars requires... wife is refusing to get an MPV and wants an SUV.

there are several articles online which talk about which makes/models take three isofix seats in the back row but they dont all correlate making car shopping in isolation very hard... they also tend to be a few years out if date...

So, I'm hoping people will be willing to share their thoughts on the best suv that can take three isofix child seats in the back

Many thanks in advance...

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - badbusdriver

If buying new, decide which your wife likes the look of and download an online brochure which will (or at least should) tell you.

2nd hand is a bit more tricky. As you have realised, reliable info isn't that easy to come across. But one suggestion would be to do the same as before, decide which you like the look of, then ask on here about that specific model, if you're lucky, a forum member will have one and can tell you definitively whether or not it has 3 sets of isofix.

But, unfortunately, that is not the end of your problems. Child seats vary in width, as do the rear seats in cars!. So even if you do find something you like the look of, and does have 3 sets of isofix on the rear bench, that doesn't mean it will take the 3 child seats you have chosen.

Another option would be to get a 7 seat SUV (which needn't be massive), then you will have ample space for 2 child seats on the middle row and one in the rear?.

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - Avant

Do ask your wife what difference between an MPV and an SUV is so great that she likes one but not the other. We'd all like to know.

But as suggested above, the crucial point is what car wll fit the three child seats. Easier if one of them can go in the third row of a 7-seater car (provided it has Isofix), but you may feel that's too far away for the 3-year-old.

The Ford S-Max springs to mind - less bus-like than the Galaxy - but you'd have to measure carefully as child seats vary in width. But the Galaxy is a good car so don't dismiss it out of hand.

...difference between an MPV and an SUV...

I'm afraid the answer to this one is purely aesthetics and personal preference. We both know an MPV would be more practical but...

Edited by andymet87 on 17/05/2020 at 07:47

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - Nezza
Been there, same experience. Wife drove a micra and then all of a sudden we needed three car seats. We looked at every car we could think of, lots that do have three points do so to move positions and not allow three to sit side by side. We also found that when the outer seats were put in position, the doors would also not close without hitting the seats. Small baby seats were fine but the larger next stage seats is where the problems are. We opted for a Galaxy in the end (only mpvs actually have the space we found) and are very glad we did. The space and storage is needed with three kids, especially if you have weekends away. The seat back trays are also used on day trips etc. So impressed, we are now on our third one. They look big but are surprisingly very easy to park.

I hope you do find something that suits, but my advice would be to take the seats with you to try as this rules out so many cars.
SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - Falkirk Bairn

>>We're very lucky and expecting twins to join us in August/September. We currently have a 3 year old son.

Best of luck, been there & survived - the first year is a trauma. Get as much help as you can from relatives, friends, neighbours etc etc because you will need it.

Our eldest son was just under 4, he went from No1 son to being 1 of 3. He hardly spoke when the twins came home. We did not neglect him but it may have felt like that.

My twins are 43

Car advice - buy as big as you can afford because you will need it.

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - I'm a Pane

If you really want to upset her, but look at it from a purely practical/economic point of view, show her a new Berlingo. More than enough space inside and 3 isofix in the (wide) backseat. Go top spec (if new) and you'll also get a good spec and 3 individual rear seats which are wider than any comparable MPV/SUV.

Good luck!

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - Bromptonaut

If you really want to upset her, but look at it from a purely practical/economic point of view, show her a new Berlingo.

The Berlingo is (IMHO) an excellent choice. Although described as 'new' the current version has some carry over from the 2008 on model. Ours is 2013 and has just passed 100,000 miles. It's so far defied, as did its 'mark 2' (ie face-lifted original) predecessor, all preconceptions of French reliability. Only non maintenance/rotables issues we've had are that the joystick for the door mirror remote control snapped at 75,000 and a sticky caliper required new pads/discs at rear last summer.

We're now long past the stage where child seats or even children are an issue but 5 adults are an easy ask. The sliding doors were a boon when ours were still pre teen and would have been fantastic when lifting them in and strapping into seats was a daily chore. Boot is huge and completely level (no lip under the tailgate) so getting push chairs etc in or out is no trouble and no back strain.

If you're badge sensitive don't forget the same model is available as a Peugeot or Vauxhall.

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - daveyjp

In a similar vein Fiat Doblo. Plenty of passenger and load space,

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - SLO76
What’s the budget £2,000 or £20,000?

Personally, i'd also favour the Berlingo or (its Peugeot and Vauxhall siblings). We had a Peugeot Partner Combi back in 2002, when the kids were 1 and 4. It was an absolute boon coming from a Polo. The raised seating position and sliding rear doors meant it was so much easier getting the boys into and out of their seats, the huge boot meant the push chair could be put in without folding it down, the interior height meant the boys could get changed inside the car after any mis-adventures (they were 4 and 7 by the time we replaced the car), and the huge tailgate (while admittedly inconvenient in a car park) could be used as a shelter if the weather turned while on a picnic!. Going by what i have read, the current versions are also surprisingly refined and comfortable.

What’s the budget £2,000 or £20,000?

Could go up to £25k but would rather £20k or less....

A very interesting discussion above, I think we're aware that an MPV is the more practical and sensible option. However, the desire is for an SUV so for the time being he hunt is on for the best SUV... (completely accepting that an MPV better suits our circumstances).

For info we had almost decided to go and buy a Skoda Kodiaq but realised quite late in the day that there's only 2 isofix on the middle row hence the hunt has resumed...

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - Metropolis.
A lot of anti-SUV posters here and while I’m sure they have valid reasons to dislike SUVs but that does not really help if your wife doesn’t like minivans. What is your budget?
SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - Bromptonaut
A lot of anti-SUV posters here and while I’m sure they have valid reasons to dislike SUVs but that does not really help if your wife doesn’t like minivans. What is your budget?

I don't think it's anti SUV so much as a practical question of form or function.

Definitely... I think we are still in the 'form' camp!

www.evanshalshaw.com/blog/used-cars-that-can-fit-3.../

Found this online Evans Halshaw article on the matter. It is hardly extensive, but does throw up a single possibility for someone needing an SUV with 3 sets of isofix on the rear seats, the Peugeot 5008 (second generation). This is in fact a 7 seater, but there are 3 sets of isofix in the middle row (and i have confirmed this looking at a PDF brochure!). Unless you do mega miles or tow a caravan, the 1.2 130bhp petrol would be fine but 1.5 and 2.0 turbo diesels along with a 1.6 turbo petrol are also available. Here is one i found on Autotrader at a Peugeot dealer,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200323869...1

Of course you are still left with needing to find out if 3 child seats of the type you plan on getting will physically fit!

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/05/2020 at 17:59

Budget above...

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - smallcar

This all sounds v complicated. I grew up in the 1970s and when this sort of age you were just put in the back of whatever car some parent owned, a Hillman imp, Renault 12 ,and most fun of all Doreen's triumph 2500 estate where the back seat wasn't actually property attached . Going around country lanes was a bit like being at the fun fair and lots of hillarity as to which foot well you got squashed into.

Different times.

SUV with three (3) isofix across back row - smallcar

www.madeformums.com/reviews/best-car-seats-that-fi.../ this article looks at how to buy the narrowest seats so they've the best chance of fitting.

Haha . Yea I was driven around with my siblings in the space behind the seats of a Subaru pickup truck!