Audi A3 Sportback - Help need advise on dealing with Dealer/Warranty - Joe the Chef

Hi New so sorry for joining to ask for help/Advice - but difficult to get good advice for this type of thing.

Anyway my A3 had a big breakdown a few weeks ago, luckily still under warranty and with Audi Assist - so on Day AA and Enterprise did brilliantly getting me home and sorting a courtesy car out same day, of course both still working like myself during Covid lockdown.

AA on day said my Hydraulics had gone on my Clutch as the breakdown was quick car telling my to change into every other gear even though I was on Motorway at 70 very odd then just dries with the clutch pedal firmly collapsing down right against the floor, there had been none of the normal signs a clutch was going slipping/ smell / bad gear changing etc. and car only was 27k miles.

So on to finally getting to Audi yesterday when they reopened - I received a call from the manager asking me to saution 5 hours work at a possible cost of £780 just to take off the gear box so they can advise if its the hydraulics or clutch as I would need to pay if the clutch.

So my questions are can it possibly take Audi 5 hours to check the problem ? is it right they ask me to possibly pay before even diagnosing the problem and of course are they simply trying to get out of paying to fix a fault under warranty by blaming the Clutch and my driving style (I normally get over 50k at least out of a clutch)

Big thanks for any advice Joe

Audi A3 Sportback - Help need advise on dealing with Dealer/Warranty - sandy56

Im no expert on Audi's but 5 hrs to take off the gearbox could be right.

Some cars are not designed with maintenance in mind. I would chat to Audi UK and get their advice.

Before they do that have they checked if there is any hydraulic fluid left for the clutch- could it just be a leaking/failed clutch master cylinder?

Check the Audi A3 owner forums, they might have better advice.

Audi A3 Sportback - Help need advise on dealing with Dealer/Warranty - Joe the Chef

Thanks for reply, have posted on Audi forum, I really would expect they could diagnose without 5 hours work seems madness and at £150 an hour ridiculous, plus AA said within a minute of popping the hood the Hydraulics had failed and not the clutch

Audi A3 Sportback - Help need advise on dealing with Dealer/Warranty - daveyjp

Hydraulic cylinders are sometimes in the bell housing, so it needs to be taken apart.

I would however expect some initial diagnosis and feedback before stripping everything down.

How old is the car? Does it have full history including brake fluid changes if advised? Its usually the same fluid for the clutch and a nice get out from a dealer if there is no evidence of the fluid being changed.

Audi A3 Sportback - Help need advise on dealing with Dealer/Warranty - elekie&a/c doctor
Main dealers love making a meal of a job . If the clutch concentric slave cylinder is leaking within the clutch bell housing , then it’s not that difficult to see if fluid is dripping out the bottom of the gearbox casing .