Peugeot 308 CC - Faulty engine control system - GarenI

I have a 2015 Peugeot 308 1.2 PureTech e-THP Allure Hatchback Semi Automatic.(25401 miles on clock). Car had oil leak last Aug 2019 and has been driving well since. On Tues was going to work and after driving only 5 mins the engine warning sign came up to together with Service sign. Manage to get back home as I was only round the corner contacted RAC who check car over and reported the following: Engine start fine but with EMS light on. Engine oil and coolant levels checked - OK. Plugged into Rac-Scan to draw fault/trouble codes. UNABLE TO COMUNICATE WITH VEHICLE SPECIFICS BUT COULD DRAW FAULTS THROUGH EOBD. UNABLE TO CLEAR CODES.PROCESS DENIED. HAVE DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY FOR 10 MINUTES.STILL UNABLE TO CLEAR CODES.SUSPECT BSI NEEDS SOFTWARE UPDATE. RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM. System Type: ENGINE. Name: EOBD. DTC: P1336, , Manufacturer controlled DT

He recommended that I took to dealer which I did. The in-car computer continue to display an ‘Engine Fault’ warning message when I started it up, which obviously worried me, but I did not notice any change in performance or noise from the engine. The car even was coping with standard motorway speeds without me noticing any degradation in performance.
The technician finally had a look at it yesterday and told me that its problem with the valve (might need cleaning) which is causing issue with the ECU. They contacted warranty and was told that this is not enough and they need to give more details of the issue. Now they have asked me to authorise £300 of diagnostic test (2 hrs labour to strip the engine) and have a look. Has anyone come across this plz? If valve need cleaning is this covered by warranty coz if its not I will have to pay more on top of the £300 and I'm in no position to afford this. In this unprecedented climate I'm the only one working. I'm already stress with work as I'm a front line nurse and now this. I'm very worried. Car has had regular service. Sparks plugs were changed 2 yrs. ago.

Any help/advise/suggestions will be very much appreciated

Thank you

Peugeot 308 CC - Faulty engine control system - elekie&a/c doctor
Very likely to be excess build up of coke and crud behind the inlet valves . Seems to be an up and coming issue with this engine . There are ways of fixing this without a major engine strip. This involves walnut shell blasting of the inlet tract .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 24/04/2020 at 10:07

Peugeot 308 CC - Faulty engine control system - Railroad.

Excessive build up of carbon deposits on the back of the valves and in the combustion chambers could well be the result of cheap supermarket fuel. If I were you I would treat your car to a few doses of super high octane unleaded. Yes it's more expensive, but that's because it's a better quality product. Using it might make no difference, but it will also do no harm. I would run a couple of tankfuls of BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power and see if it improves.

Update on the fault. Ive contacted Peugeot again asking about what codes did show on their monitor. They told me that P1336 is one of them but main one is P1032.

?Anyone knows what this code mean please

Thanks

P1032 refers to the pre-catalyst oxygen sensor heater circuit. The o2 sensor will not report information until it's warmed up, and so it has a heater element incorporated in it which switches on when the engine is cold to allow the sensor to warm up and become active more quickly. This heater element could've failed meaning a new o2 sensor is required, or you may have a blown fuse or wiring fault in that regard.

Peugeot 308 CC - Faulty engine control system - edlithgow

That description doesn't appear to have anything to do with coked up inlet valves, which is the other main interpretation offered for the (TBH, rather inadequate) original fault description.from your dealer.

IF the original diagnosis at source was REALLY "a problem with the valve" then I'm not surprised warranty were unimpressed.

I'd interpret that (which I shouldn't have to do) as the EGR valve, BUT there's no obvious reason why this should render the EMS incommunicado.

OP, you need better information. I understand car mechanics is not your field, but you need to insist they write down their actual diagnosis rather than some patronising baby talk.

This might of course, reveal that patronising baby talk is all they got.

I think your title probably has it right. This sounds like a neurological rather than a cardiovascular or respiratory problem, and until that is addressed, chasing physical faults on the basis of fault codes generated by the system is quite likely to be a waste of time.

I've got no experience with car warranties, but it seems to me if you have evidence of a fault, diagnosing the precise nature of that fault is part of fixing it, and should be covered by any warranty that means anything.

That's really a consumer law issue though and is the sort of thing that HJ's Agony Column used to be good at.

I'd suggest that, given your professional situation, if you put your problem a bit more in the public eye a car company is going to look VERY bad if they give you the run around.

Edited by edlithgow on 27/04/2020 at 05:33

Thanks

Up till now Peugeot has done nothing. They told me the engine need strpping but nothing. to date. Contact them on Mon but they just say sometimes this week. So i still don't know what is wrong with my car

Ill update once i know for others as a reference

Hi Guys this is the outcome from Peugeot

Checking the quality of the quality of the fuel in the vehicle, to be sure that the ethanol content is below 10%

Check the compressions and the leakage rates of each of the engines three cylinders

Check the condition of the turbocharger air/heat exchanger for any signs of excessive wear

And finally to remove the vehicles inlet manifold / oil vapour remover so we are able to see the engines 8 inlet valves and their stems

and determine if they are coked up with excessive carbon polymer build up. (which they are)

As this is not a sudden mechanical failure and has developed over time, unfortunately on this occasion this would not be covered by the extended warranty.

Now they are asking me to pay £1456.40 if I want it repairs.
£500 if I just want it t be put together without repairing it.

I seriously cant afford that much money

Since I bought that car I have had only problem after problem

Ay suggestions please. Im desperate

thanks

How much is the bill for work carried out so far ?
Peugeot 308 CC - Faulty engine control system - galileo
How much is the bill for work carried out so far ?

If they want £500 to put it back together, presumably £250 for taking it to bits?

£1456 to clean the valves and reassemble sounds a lot, this is I guess a Peugeot dealer.

What makes us think either there's something the OP isn't telling us, or the dealer is making a right meal of this at his expense?

Im just copying and pasting the report

car been service every year currently 25410 on clock

Here a chronological event

Vehicle bought on the 1st of Sep 2015

· 23rd Oct 2015 - Rattling noise from passenger side window.

· 28th Oct 2016 - Eco not working - Fault P2299. Replaced accelerator pedal. Battery test failed.

· 7th Nov 2016 - Eco not working - battery change.

· Feb 2017 - Rattling noise from rear passenger side- door rubber seal changed.

· 17th March 2017 - Rattling noise from driver side – (see next)

· 5th April 2017 – Checks made and noise from vehicle confirmed as a rear exhaust bracket broken- replaced mounting. Also repair the glass sunroof cover.

· 23rd Oct 2017 - 4th Nov 2017 - Repair manufacture defect - scratching on inside of both OS & N/S front doors due to defective rubber.

· 1st June 2016- Passenger door seal coming away, Start/Stop system not working - Alternator replaced, Download of latest version of the engine management system. Software updated.

· 1st June 2018 - JAD ECU software Download recall

· 1st June 2018 AA - Spark plugs changed by AA as car broke down.

· 2nd July 2018 - OSF door seal replaced. Rear boot switch not working. Temperature gauge malfunctioned on receipt of car.

· 3rd July 2018 - Replaced temperature sensor and tyre warning light

· 11th July 2018 - Aircon noise when on - Confirmed faulty aircon re-gas required.

· 28th Aug - 8th Sep 2018 - Realigned hatch door, Replaced sun visors. Charged battery overnight, needed to order door trim -

· 1st of Oct till 5th of Oct - Door trim refit -

· 27th Aug 2019- Oil leaking - Replaced Oil Seal, cam covers and timing belt tensioner cover -

· 21st April 2020 - engine failure

This what happen so far

Hi

Initial diagnostic £75

Further diagnostic with engine lot more in-depth checks which take around two hours to carry out, £300 extra

These include as follows:

Checking the quality of the quality of the fuel in the vehicle, to be sure that the ethanol content is below 10%

Check the compressions and the leakage rates of each of the engines three cylinders

Check the condition of the turbocharger air/heat exchanger for any signs of excessive wear

And finally to remove the vehicles inlet manifold / oil vapour remover so we are able to see the engines 8 inlet valves and their stems

and determine if they are coked up with excessive carbon polymer build up. (which they are)

So £1081.4 is to clean and put everything together

I did ask if they can contribute some and the answer is no.

They have given me by close of business on Monday to make a decision before they remove my car from the work shop.

Not a lot i can do over the weekend

Tricky one this . The car had obviously been a lemon from day one . Warranties generally only cover a “failure “ of a component, not coked up valves . I suspect the dealer knew what was wrong with it before they opened the bonnet , so they could be stringing this one out . If you pull the car out in pieces and not fixed, what are you going to do. ? Can’t really give a definitive answer to this . It’s a known fault , the dealer should have advised you of this . It’s possible to get it fixed by an Indy garage for less than £500 .

I'm still concerned that the coked-up inlet tract, which, in a non-DIY context, is serious enough in itself, doesn't seem to explain the EMS problems and codes, so there may also be a management system issue.

Sorry OP. I realise this doesn't really help you go forward.

I'd shop around for quotes with the info you now have, to include collection of the vehicle from the Peugeot Posse.

No way would I give them any more money if I didn't absolutely have to.

Valves don't just coke up in any engine. There are additives in fuel to keep engines clean, unless you've been using very poor quality cheap fuel. Or unless the car has forever been used for short local journeys only with the engine cold.

Valves don't just coke up in any engine. There are additives in fuel to keep engines clean, unless you've been using very poor quality cheap fuel. Or unless the car has forever been used for short local journeys only with the engine cold.

I thought they did in DI engines, though I don't know if this is one.

I might suspect an EGR fault also, though again, I'm not familiar with this engine.

I thought they did in DI engines, though I don't know if this is one.

I might suspect an EGR fault also, though again, I'm not familiar with this engine.

The OP said this engine is a petrol. He mentioned in his first post the spark plugs were last changed two years ago

In the case of direct injection diesel engines the inlet manifolds can clog up due to a mix of engine oil mist from the engine breather and exhaust gas via the EGR system. The purpose of the EGR system is one and one only. To reduce combustion temperature and subsequently reduce NOx emissions. The EGR valve should be closed at engine idle and at full load. If it wasn't the engine idle would be poor and the performance would be poor under full load, due to exhaust gas reintroduction. The EGR valve is opened in stages under cruise conditions so that its effect is unnoticeable by the driver. If the EGR valve was stuck open the driver would certainly notice very poor running, if the engine ran at all.

Many people suspect the EGR valve for lots of problems where in fact its purpose is very simple and specific. It's a valve, and just like any other valve it only opens and closes.

If the valves are coked then the engine must either have been running very poorly (the OP said it was running well) and had a problem that led to very inefficient combustion, such as incorrect valve timing, blocked air intake, blocked exhaust, low fuel pressure or as I said earlier using cheap inferior quality fuel. I'm absolutely convinced that fuel purchased from supermarkets does not contain the same quality additives as branded fuel, and certainly not as the better quality and more expensive higher octane fuel. That's why it's cheaper. The supermarkets are not doing us a favour with lower fuel prices. The quality of their product is lower.

DI = Direct Injection.

If I'd meant diesel I'd have referred to it as "diesel"

DI petrol spark ignition engines are reported to suffer from inlet tract coking due to a lack of petrol mist in the induction path (since the fuel charge is injected directly into the cylinders), which means the gunge from EGR (where this is in use) and positive crankcase ventilation systems (PCV) is not washed off the valve backs by petrol solvent.

In DI petrol spark ignition engines, the petrol quality would be expected to have relatively little impact on valve-back-coking, since not much petrol gets to the valve backs. There could, I suppose, be some effect due to unburned or partly burned fuel derivatives coming in via EGR and PCV systems.

According to

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Peugeot/110489/Peugeot-308-2018-12-PureTech-130.html

this is a 3-cyl inline DI engine

(Mind you, they also state lubrication is "null" which isn't very confidence-inspiring)

If I had a valve-back coking problem on a DI petrol spark ignition engine I'd look at blowby (OP has IIIRC had a compression/leakdown test done which should eliminate that) and the state of any oil separation filters in the EGR and PCV systems.

IF that all checked out OK I'd clean it, perhaps using brake fluid, and consider making some catch cans to further intercept any incoming gunge from the EGR and PCV systems.

BUT I wouldn't worry about it much, since I can't see how it would generate most of the error messages reported above.

I'd worry that I had an EMS that was psychologically unstable.

Perhaps because I saw 2001 at an impressionable age?

Edited by edlithgow on 03/05/2020 at 04:02

DI = Direct Injection.

I take the point. DI = Direct Injection, but that's generally referred to in diesels, as opposed to Indirect Injection.

Petrol direct injections are usually referred to as GDI, Gasoline Direct Injection.

DI = Direct Injection.

I take the point. DI = Direct Injection, but that's generally referred to in diesels, as opposed to Indirect Injection.

Petrol direct injections are usually referred to as GDI, Gasoline Direct Injection.

Not by me. That'd conflict with my rabid anti-Americanism, so would be unacceptable..

You get indirect injection in petrol engines too (which don't suffer from the coking problem to the same extent as DI ones) so that doesn't seem to work as a source of distinction.

I did once refer to petrol as "gas" a couple of years ago,when talking to a Taiwanese, but I punched myself in the face sharpish, and havn't done it again.

Edited by edlithgow on 03/05/2020 at 12:38

OP, it might be worth finding out the results of these investigations (if you don't already have them), and their interpretation by the dealer (ditto) and reporting them on here. This would be especially true if you decide to part company with the dealer for now.

From what they've done, it looks like they were thinking of inlet tract coking from the start, suggesting its a known generic fault with these engines, as (I believe, no experience with them) it is with direct injection engines in general.

Specifically, the compression and leakdown cylinder test results would give a clue as to whether you've got excessive blowby which could contribute to the problem, either from bore wear (probably unlikely at this age) or piston ring sticking (still probably unlikely, but less so)

(Incidentally, 8 intake valves seems to imply 3 in each end cylinder, which seems a lot, and 2 in the middle, which seems a bit odd, though there might be a good reason for it)

I'd guess the turbocharger check was for it leaking oil into the inlet tract, which would contribute to the problem.

"Öil vapour remover" is mentio0ned. What was its state? Was it clogged with oil and soot? (which would be consistent) or was it squeeky clean? (which would be suspicious)

Assuming your compressions etc are OK, you're left with a "They all do that, Sir" generic fault, which is likely to recur. (plus a worrying EMS question mark).

There are various DIY work-arounds to the inlet tract coking that I could suggest but they are probably not appropriate to your situation.

Ethanol is supposed to contribute to the coking problem, I THINK by water absorption leading to phase separation of the fuel so you get a slug of non-combustible stuff going through the injectors leading to more soot formation. This can be partly addressed by not having fuel hanging around for a long time (\So don't fill up if you aren't going to use it soon, and get fuel from high turnover outlets like...er...supermarkets :) and de-watering additives, which are, ironically, alcohol-based..

Edited by edlithgow on 04/05/2020 at 16:50

Peugeot told me that they will have to order the parts now and hopefully will get them by end of the week

The only code/report they gave me is P1032 AND 1033. TSB B1AW0131Q0 for cleaning of the valves

Any idea

thanks

Edited by GarenI on 04/05/2020 at 17:33

https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/3008-technical-service-bulletins-tsb.274345/

"Anyone can use Peugeot Servicebox for free to look up their own car and see the TSB's that exist. However, you have to pay for access to actually read the full articles, which guide the dealer thorough parts required, fix process and time allowed.

An hour on Servicebox costs just under £10 (after Euro conversion), but you can then read the full TSB's".

Apparently brokeness is now quite valuable intellectual property.

Hi all

Following my issue I had back in May where I’ve paid £1456.49 to clean all the valves, on Sunday the engine light came back on. RAC diagnostic said superknocking with code P3060 and 3061 as well as many other codes. Took car to Peugeot on Monday and they still working on it Yesterday they told me possibly ECU today they say it might need decloking again Can this happen within 3 months. I haven’t use the car that much. I’ve been using V shell power petrol since May can I dispute if they ask me to pay for the valves cleaning again
Thanks

Peugeot 308 CC - Faulty engine control system - sammy1

Surely having paid so much money they must be warranting their work after such a short period of time and the same problem. Cannot imagine how the engine can need another decoke unless the dealer gave you a wrong diagnosis in the first place and something else is wrong. If you cannot get any sense you need to complain directly to the service manager or go above him.

Cannot imagine how the engine can need another decoke unless the dealer gave you a wrong diagnosis in the first place and something else is wrong.

Depends what you mean by "decoke." The OP refers only to cleaning the valve backs. I'd normally take "decoke" to mean removal of carbon from within the cylinders. I wouldn't think we can assume this has been done in this case.

Superknock is generally used (I THINK) as a synonym for LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition), though hardly anyone uses the terminology in this area correctly or consistently so it can be rather hard to tell exactly what they are on about.

LSPI is complicated and (when I read up on it, which is a few years ago so I have forgotten the details anyway) unclear, but I THINK it often involves a pre-ignition event which then leads to detonation. This undermines the usual "textbook"distinction between pre-ignition and detonation, but this is often ignored anyway.

It seems to have become a problem coincidentally with the introduction of DI boosted petrol engines, so its to some extent a generic fault. Some manufacturers have partly addressed it by software changes that alter fuelling and timing. Low calcium oil is also supposed to help.

I dunno if coked up intake valves are likely to promote LSPI .I suppose if they shed hot soot particles into the incoming air they might. A coked-up cylinder is likely to promote "classical" pre-ignition, but apparently is not always necessary for LSPI, which can involve ignition of fuel-oil mixture droplets ejected from the top ring groove.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/resolving-low-speed-pre-ignition/

Assuming any software service updates have been applied, the only work-arounds for a generic LSPI problem available to the consumer would seem to be using a higher octane fuel and a LSPI-resistant oil (Dexos 1 Gen 2, API SNplus, ILSAC GF-6, API SP in rough order of introduction,).

Edited by edlithgow on 17/08/2020 at 12:35