Gear selector rod oil seal replacement - Chas{P}
Vehicle: Mark 3 Astra 1.6 16V 1997

I need to replace an oil seal where the gear selector rod goes into the gearbox top housing as it’s leaking slightly.

Is it safe to undo the 4 bolts and remove the top housing or will bits fall out everywhere resulting in a Chinese puzzle?

Secondly how is the cover sealed to the gearbox; gasket or sealant?

Better still, has anyone done this repair before and advise me on the best approach.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Gear selector rod oil seal replacement - Dynamic Dave
Looking at the Haynes Manual for a Cavalier Mk3 you should be able to just undo the 4 bolts and manipulate the top housing away from the gearbox - once you've undone the gear linkage of course.
It is a gasket between the housing and gearbox.
Once reasembled you'll need to align the selector linkage back up. This is explained in detail in the Haynes manual.
Gear selector rod oil seal replacement - David Lacey
Is it really leaking that badly? If not, I\'d leave it - the linkage can be a bit of a pink fluffy dice to set up...
Gear selector rod oil seal replacement - Chas{P}
DD/David

Thanks for your replies.

Your info has put a handle on what's involved so, as the leak is only slight, I'll check the oil level, top up if necessary, and clean the leaked oil off the gearbox casing.

Regards

Charles

Gear selector rod oil seal replacement - Aprilia
Charles

There is a little rubber bung that fits in a hole by the selector shaft. These can 'go missing' and you get oil leaking out of there (its only a few mm diameter). Just check it is not missing before you do anything else. Vauxhall storeman will know the PN by heart....

If you do need to take the top plate off, don't worry - its dead easy, nothing springs out. I've done a few.