Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - BplBabe

Hi, hubby has a 2008 Ford Fiesta. We have a problem whereby if the car is left for a week or more without using it then the battery is flat when we go to use it again. We've replaced the stereo (as we'd previously read it could be a problem with that) and also had a new battery and alternator fitted. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong.

The car hasn't been used for two weeks now due to the coronavirus and when he's gone to get in it today it's flat again.

Can anyone help please?

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Railroad.

There are three reasons why a battery will go flat.

1. A battery which has come to the end of its service life.

2. A fault with the vehicle charging system.

3. A drain on the battery. Something on the car which is not switching off, or is being accidentally left on.

A battery drain can be measured with an ammeter. Every battery has an amp/hour rating (a/hr). This is the battery's discharge rating. For example if it's a 50a/hr battery it means you can draw off 50 amps for one hour, one amp for 50 hours, or multiples thereof. But you must bear in mind that this is assuming the battery is in perfect condition and has a 100% state of charge (SOC). You must also bear in mind that in this example the battery will be discharged right down to nothing. A battery sufficiently discharged to prevent it from starting an engine will be well before you get it right down to nothing. This may or may not be useful for you to know, but it's intended to give you the idea.

In layman's terms a discharge of 0.75 amps overnight will be enough to prevent the engine from being started the next morning. An interior lamp or boot lamp would draw this amount of current.

You need to get your mechanic to connect an ammeter and then lock the car up as normal. After a short while everything should be switched off and the current reading should be very near zero. Any current then showing on the ammeter is a drain on the battery, but remember that some components such as control units, clock, radio etc need to consume some battery power, albeit a tiny amount to retain their settings. If you have a drain of greater than 0.1A (100mA) then it's very likely you will have a flat battery after a week of non use.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - elekie&a/c doctor
Some Fiesta models of this age are fitted with Bluetooth hands free modules . Very common for these to cause a battery drain . The control unit is located above the glovebox on the passenger side . If it has this unit , then disconnect it by removing the multi pin plug . This does not affect the operation of the radio. I’m assuming this is not the current model Fiesta .

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Andrew-T

Could be something like the rear-screen heater left on but the telltale lamp on the dash has failed.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - jc2

Should go off with the ignition.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Railroad.

Could be something like the rear-screen heater left on but the telltale lamp on the dash has failed.

If that was the case the battery would be flat after a couple of hours.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Andrew-T

If that was the case the battery would be flat after a couple of hours.

I only said 'something like', implying a wiring fault hidden somewhere.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Avant

As well as the Bluetooth module mentioned above, it's always worth checking the boot light and glove box light if there is one. The battery may be shot, but you don't want to go and buy a new one only for it to flatten as well.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - jc2

The OP said they'd had a new battery!

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Galaxy

Many years ago I owned a car on which the battery kept going flat. I fitted a new battery and, much to my dismay, that one also went flat within a couple of days.

The fault turned out to be a short in one of the horns! It was permanently drawing a couple of amps which was more than enough to drain the battery. Since that car had dual horns I just cut the wire going to the faulty one and the problem was solved.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Peter.N.

Some years ago I bought a C5 very cheaply because of this fault, it would go flat in a couple of days. The problem had indeed been caused by a replacement stereo. A Blaupunkt aftermarket one had been fitted and and although it was a direct plug in replacement the car electronics didn't like it. Every time the ECU shut down the radio would start it up again, you could see the current going up and down on a meter in series with the battery.

Removing it cured the problem. Quite likely not your problem but thought I would mention it.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - edlithgow

On oldish cars, you can get around this issue (pending or instead of a diagnosis) by disconnecting a battery terminal.

I've done this with the GF's Toyota Avensis (not old by my standards, though I can't remember how old it was. Wouldn't have been much more than 10 years though because Taiwanese cars turn into pumkins at that age) when we were going to be away for a while. Didn't seem to cause any trouble.

I'd suspect it might cause trouble with a 2008 Ford, though.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/04/2020 at 05:18

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - Big John

Clearly the car has some sort of parasitic draw of some sort and with any modern CAN bus car this can be difficult to trace - usually pulling fuses at random to track the fault doesn't really work unless really obvious. There is an effective way of measuring small voltages across fuses still in place to calculate home much current is passing through each one - described well in this vw guide which has a great fuse size/mv/amp lookup table:-

wiki.bentleypublishers.com/download/attachments/83...2

This guide is suitable for most makes of car!

Edited by Big John on 13/04/2020 at 09:57

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiest 08 battery keeps going flat - R.Turpin

I did the same as Edlithgow on an 02 Golf 1.6. Suspect the alarm. Disconnected the negative terminal and left it as a push fit. No spanner required. Seconds to refit before use. NB Know your radio code, though mine remembered it's settings almost always.