Pressure washers. Remind me ... - KB.

Should this be in non-motoring or does it belong here coz I use it to clean the car's wheelarches?

Was it GB who bought one a while ago?

Can't remember which models were spoken of then. Sorry.

My old Karcher 520MH (bought in 2002 for £159) still soldiers on, but must surely fail in my lifetime? And yet I still see people saying a Karcher will self destruct as soon as the warranty expires - perhaps the newer ones do? Mine certainly didn't. Is it because it had a brass motor or somesuch? It's not working perfectly (the motor cuts in when you close the lever on the lance so clearly something is letting by inside).

Was it a Kanzle that was suggested as a replacement when the time comes?

A K1050 TS (with, apparently, a brass pump) costs around £400

A K2160 TS is around a grand.

A Nilfisk P 150 with an Induction Motor is around £450

What's the latest school of thought?

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - gordonbennet

Yes, twas i who invested in a Kranzle 2160 TST (if i remember correctly) which is still giving good service, makes short work of washing the cars, drive/paths and anything else that needs a blast, not a cheap make by any means but all parts can be bought for the machine if needed, again parts arn't cheap either.

Basically this is what i was advised by the engineer who provided and services our serious steam cleaner at work which has lots of pressure and is in operation for around 8 or more hours every day, and i'll add a few things i've found

avoid aluminium pumps as water will corrode them in time, brass preferably

headline pressure means very little, its water flow rate that counts the more the merrier, and you want to be able to vary that pressure, some have a pressuire gauge to help you judge, with higher water rates you can also buy a jet fitting for drain clearing (i bought a separate pipe for this jet for obvious reasons), the jet will power itself slowly along the drains blasting one jet in front to shift debris and three angled jets behind forcing it along and blasting 360' of the pipe as it passes, a good washer can also be used with a telescopic system for house gutter cleaning

rubber line is better than plastic, much nicer to handle and lasts longer, make sure its long enough for your needs, especially if you have a spot in your garage you can sit the thing semi permanently and just run the line out when you need if for most jobs, a good quality gun is a bonus

if you want a pump on wheels, an upright, its best if it has a reel for the pipe, again these are extras until you start getting to expensive models, all depends how mobile you want the things to be

some pumps can draw water from a butt not requiring a mains feed

make sure the pump shuts down (auto stop) when you release the trigger, this is not the case on all washers especially the more expensive makes...think German cars of old where everything you'd want was an extra

make sure you can get fittings and lances (i have an L shaped one which makes underbody washing easy), you can probably buy an adaptor if different fittings

it's easier if the washer you choose can feed soap mix straight out of the gun, gives the car a good soaking in whatever TFR you choose (i use Bilt Hamber's but lots of alternatives out there) so if done regualrly only needs a 2 minute agitation with a soft long handed brush before rinsing off

Course on the other hand you could buy anything up to half a dozen sale special washers for the cost of one Kranzle, something to bear in mind.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/04/2020 at 20:26

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - FP

Kranzle's most basic model (K1050P Home Pressure Washer) gets some good reviews. I am tempted, particularly by the price of £341.99 plus free delivery at www.cleanstore.co.uk

Ta muchly, GB, for the details. Appreciated and lots of points to take note of.

Out of interest, did Nilfisk feature in your research at the time. Obviously you pays yer money, etc etc.

I would have to get something like the L shaped lance as well as a circular patio cleaner as I have both (and use them both) with the present Karcher. With the Kranzle 2000 series the cost of the machine plus those two accessories is gonna mount up. It's only for garden and car and I have many more years behind me than I do in front of me but do recognize the benefits of not buying too cheap.

I repeat, I'm amazed the present Karcher has done me well for 18 years and still hasn't actually stopped working.

Ta.

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - focussed

GB said "avoid aluminium pumps as water will corrode them in time"

True, but can be avoided by not storing the PW with the pump full of water, drain or purge it out before storing it.

Also, if you use the detergent injection, wash/purge out the small pickup pipe with plain water after use, do not let the PW sit with detergent in the pump, it will rot out the pump casting alloy or brass in short order.

I run a Karcher G4-10 petrol engine washer with an alloy pump and it's on it's tenth year and still going strong despite being powered by a chinese honda clone motor.

I used to have to service SIP pressure washers as part of a sales/service depot deal we did with them. Avoid is my advice.

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - Brit_in_Germany

Or there is the Aldi one for £80 - even if it lasts only as long as the guarantee and needs to be replaced every 3 years it doesn't seem to make much sense pumping more money in to get a brand model which probably comes from the same factory in China.

Or there is the Aldi one for £80 - even if it lasts only as long as the guarantee and needs to be replaced every 3 years it doesn't seem to make much sense pumping more money in to get a brand model which probably comes from the same factory in China.

Difficult to know where Karcher products are made, they have manufacturing plants in USA, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Italy and China.

There is a possible advantage in buying an Aldi pressure washer, their 3 year warranty!

On the face of it makes sense to go cheap and replace.

The only problem i can forsee is if the flow rate is too small then you can't have a wide spread pattern and keep any cleaning ability, drawing pencil thin lines on the bodywork might lead to damage too, just saying like.

I agree with purging the system of all chemical before parking it up, i keep a plastic milk bottle full of clean water for this purpose beside the washer, just dip the chemical pipe into the water and run the system clear.

Reminds me, mine's due an oil change (pump not the electric motor), supposed to be 15w40, but its going to get 10w40 and lump it :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/04/2020 at 15:42

Grateful for the differnt points raised.

I did happen to see a range of adaptors on Ebay that allowed various manufacturers accessories to be used with other manufacturers hoses. So, for example it looks as though my Karcher patio cleaning attachment and flexible spray lance (that I use for the wheel arches) may well fit another makes of washer ... they do one for Kranzle as an example.

I did happen to see a range of adaptors on Ebay that allowed various manufacturers accessories to be used with other manufacturers hoses.

I bought a few quick release fittings too from ebay, makes life easier with different lances etc.

I did look at Nilfisk, but ended up buying a Kranzle direct from the dealer at Peterborough who did me a fair price (if you call knocking on the door of a bag o sand fair) and one of their lads delivered it to my home when passing nearby.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/04/2020 at 17:47

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - johncyprus

The three year warranty that Aldi is disingenuous. The store will honour the first year but thereafter the consumer has to return the item at their own cost to Aldi. I tried returning my defective Lidl pressure washer to Lidl ( same T and C as Aldi I’m sure ) after one year and was told to send it to Aldi.
Lesson learnt, buy quality.

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - Big John

I've had a Machine Mart Clarke pressure washer for 30 years now - still going strong, infact as we are stranded at home it's been in use. I've already jet-washed the patio and under the arches of one of my fleet - Our panda has a few built in mud traps so gets jet washed in a few key area every year.

I think I'm leaning back towards Kranzle after a brief foray into alternatives. But more likely the 1050 series rather than the 2000

It now says they're in Essex. Presumably they moved from Peterborough? Although I do see a supplier on their list who's in Peterborough.

Kranzle UK Ltd
Unit 6 Cedar Park
Stock Road
Southend on Sea
Essex
SS2 5FZ - SS2 5QA

I didn't buy direct from Kranzle, but from Hugh Crane at Peterborough as i recall, decent service and they do know what they are talking about, might be worth a call anyway, they might have alternative suggestions, always assuming they are not closed for the duration.

Interesting about having to return items to Aldi/Lidl, head office? after the first year, something like a pressure washer that would be a game to box up and expensive to send.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/04/2020 at 20:27

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - glidermania

Nilfisk PW's are very good imho and you dont have to spend silly money like 400 quid for a completely capable machine. Mine cost 50 quid about 5 years ago. Karcher were (still?) fitting plastic pumps while Nilfisk were fitting metal ones, even in the cheapies.

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - concrete

The point about this, and lots of other types of equipment is their intended use. If it is for all day, every day use then buy a recommended quality brand. If it is a once a week car wash, once a year patio clean then buy a cheaper machine. Personally I do not clean block paving or our decking with the pressure washer. One just blasts out the silver sand which can destabilise the blocks the other just drives water deep into the decking. Not a good idea. I find our hose will clean under wheel arches very well indeed so I don;t think I shall replace our Karcher (now 20 years old) when it gives up the ghost. Difficult to say wether goods made in China are cheap rubbish or expensive rubbish or just worldwide brands made to a specification. Stihl make their smaller model range chain saws in China and now so do Husqvarna. These two are classic quality brands that sell on their name. I have ran a Chinese make of petrol chain saw for a couple of years without too many problems. Cheaper for me buy a new one every 3 to 4 years than shell out for a brand name. Yer pays yer money etc etc. Cheers Concrete

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - Ethan Edwards

I bought one of those Worx Hydroshot cordless power washers. Nowhere near as powerful as my mains Karcher but a lot less faffing about with power and hoses. I used the water from a bucket. The reduced pressure on the higher setting is ideal for washing the car. So one bucket allowed me to properly clean 4 alloy wheels with aw cleaner. Rinse them. Wet the car and use the foamer attachment . Then the bucket ran out. Sponged the car and then two buckets to rinse it off. All on one power pack which appeared to have power left. Now the car was utterly filthy hadn't cleaned it in months. It came out ok. The hose would have been better but used a lot more water. Now I used ordinary car shampoo in the foamer attachment bottle just diluted it a bit. I think it was still too strong because rinsing off was a bit of a problem. Will I use it again, probably yes but might use only when the road filth isn't so thick. Can I recommend the hydroshot, yes but it's no replacement for mains power and water. It is convenient though and that's its niche In my opinion.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 04/04/2020 at 17:16

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - Senexdriver

I bought a Bosch Aquatek in 2010 (can’t remember which model) on the basis of a Which? review and it’s been fine. The review said that it had the advantage over a comparable Karcher model as it had a brass motor. The detergent dispenser packed up after the first use but I don’t use that feature anyway. It came with a number of extras. I use it to scrub the patio and driveway once a year and to wash the cars every few weeks. The biggest problem I have is that my neighbours complain politely about the noise it makes. We live in detached houses spaced nicely apart but they find the noise unacceptable. I don’t think it’s any worse than some lawnmowers, but there we go.

"One just blasts out the silver sand which can destabilise the blocks"

I had 20 years of a double width block paving drive in the UK, that's why our new last year patio is decorative paving with grouted joints based on a dry concrete mix base!

No weeds either!

"One just blasts out the silver sand which can destabilise the blocks"

I had 20 years of a double width block paving drive in the UK, that's why our new last year patio is decorative paving with grouted joints based on a dry concrete mix base!

No weeds either!

Our neighbours at our previous house had a lovely block paved driveway. He asked me to come and look at it as the blocks seemed to be 'moving'. I noticed they would rock slightly when stressed. Then I noticed the sand all along the adjacent brickwork, where it had been driven by the water pressure on his pressure washer. I advised him not to clean the blocks with a pressure washer. Also to buy 10 bags of silver sand, spread it over the drive blocks and gently brush it in so it fell between the gaps. This filled the gaps and stabilised the blocks, especially after another 10 bags were used. He had not realised the effect that pressure washing was having on block paving. Now he knows!

Cheers Concrete

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - Senexdriver

I’ve done my paver driveway with my pressure washer several times, brushing in new silver sand afterwards each time and it’s fine. The scrubber attachment doesn’t apply too much force and for stubborn dirt I just hold the lance at an acute angle so as not to disturb the silver sand too much. No loose pavers, otherwise I’d have given up this method of cleaning ages ago.

I’ve done my paver driveway with my pressure washer several times, brushing in new silver sand afterwards each time and it’s fine. The scrubber attachment doesn’t apply too much force and for stubborn dirt I just hold the lance at an acute angle so as not to disturb the silver sand too much. No loose pavers, otherwise I’d have given up this method of cleaning ages ago.

You are obviously using a good technique and being careful about where the water jet goes. Most just blast away oblivious to the potential harm they are doing until it is too late. Like a lot of equipment, it is down to the user to be circumspect when in operation.

Cheers Concrete

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - floppyhera

My acquaintance with Karcher began with washing the facade of my friend's house

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - Xileno

And what happened?

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - groaver

It was all just a facade? ;-)

Has to be said, a slightly strange note with which to resurrect the thread.

I confess to having started the topic all that time ago - and still my old Karcher keeps going. I honestly expected to have to get a new one by now but all the time it's going I'm reluctant to spend several hundred pounds on another.

(let's hope the thread isn't subject to an unwanted contribution advertising something that none of us neither want nor need)

Pressure washers. Remind me ... - floppyhera

Spam deleted. Predictable of course but account disabled now.

Edited by Xileno on 26/10/2022 at 11:57

Question for gordonbennet....

How's yer Kranzle,GB ?

My Karcher 520M (max 120 bar / 450 litres per hour) is still going so I've still not had to buy another pressure washer. I bought it in 2002 from Halfords at a cost of £159. .... 21 years ago. It seems I contributed to a pressure washing thread here in 2003! Do I get an HJ award of some sort for remaining a forum member all that time??

Admittedly it's got a couple of niggles (the trigger lock has broke and it doesn't stay properly off when you switch it off - it intermittently pulses), but it still cleans as well as it ever did.

I looked to see if Kranzle was still regarded as highly as it was - and it seems it is. But rather pricey.

Nilfisk seem to be regarded as better than many other makes but there's a new kid on the block in the form of AVA from Norway (although I couldn't see where they're made). And they have no phone number and apparently are sometimes a bit slow replying to emails. They're a very new outfit.

I'm slightly tempted to get a new machine (be that Nilfisk, Kranzle or AVA) in anticipation of the Karcher's demise ... but it's possible it'll see me out and I'll take my last breaths thinking I wasted my money.

Edited by KB. on 28/05/2023 at 23:17

Yes the Kranzle is still going strong, its had a few oil changes now which has been just about the only servicing its had.

I'm using Dirt Buster Snow Foam at present, comes in various flavours, cherry flavour is our choice which leaves a nice smell on the driveway after using the machine.

You've had good service from that Karcher KB, you're obviously doing something very right in how you look after it, i'd be inclined to keep it going long as possible but if the KB £millions are burning a hole in your wallet by all means indulge yourself :-)

Thanks muchly, GB.

Very reassured to hear of the good service from the Kranzle. No matter where you read about the "better level of washers" the name Kranzle never fails to come out on top.

I'm guessing the oil change is a simple procedure. I have never done any maintenance on my 21 year old Karcher - I don't think I even realised it had oil in it (assuming it does). I'm fairly confident that more recent Karchers aren't as solidly built ... I believe mine has a brass pump.

Looking at reviews, if you weren't to get a Kranzle I suspect the next best might be Nilfisk, Stihl and Husqyvarna and I two of those might be made by the same manufacturer.

Good man.