Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - edlithgow

Points look quite blackened, with the "classic" pit and pip metal transfer damage, and not much metal left.

They are very unlikely to be available in Taiwan. I might be able to order in from abroad IF I knew what other cars used the same set. Daihatsu Charade might be worth a punt.

Meanwhile I need to squeeze a little more life out of this set. Options would include

Fine wet-and-dry paper

Actual points file or an electricians "contact burnishing file". These will be hard/impossible to find locally but could perhaps be onlined.

Nail file. Taiwan isn't big on car maintenance but there are more high-maintenance girls than you can...er...shake a stick at, with consequently a bewildering variety of nail gear.

I spent a while going through them with a hand-lens (I AM the WEIRD FOREIGNER) and selected a couple that looked relatively fine, but there were some things that I didn't understand.

Subsequent online research shows these to be Glass Nail Files. Havn't so far found a description of how they work, but I assume they have an abrasive embedded in a glass support matrix.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/a29305866/glass-crystal-nail-files/

Seems like that might be gentler on the old metal. Would it be worth bringing this rubbing edge technology to the aid of the ancient auto?

Might be a World First, (and perhaps last) which would be nice

Edited by edlithgow on 01/04/2020 at 06:25

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - Andrew-T

Reminds me of the mid-60s, when the external fuel pump on my 1100 used to soot up its points every few thousand miles. I kept a spare pump in the car which I could swap in about 10 minutes, then remove the soot at my leisure.

But you will be talking about distributor points. I would try to use fine sandpaper between the points, while holding them gently together. The other options you mention sound rather coar5e to me. (maybe that will defeat the swear-filter ... :-) )

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/04/2020 at 10:00

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - bathtub tom

I used to have a points file - like a locksmith's file, only smaller and finer - for an old two-stroke that had a habit of burning it's points.

There's something I half recall about one of the abrasives not leaving anything behind, blowed if I can remember if it's sandpaper, emery or aluminium oxide.

I used to have a points file - like a locksmith's file, only smaller and finer - for an old two-stroke that had a habit of burning it's points.

There's something I half recall about one of the abrasives not leaving anything behind, blowed if I can remember if it's sandpaper, emery or aluminium oxide.

Theren are allegations on't nyet that sandpaper et al leaves a residue which can lead to poor contact, though I don't know which is supposed to be worse.

If aluminium oxide is OK I suppose I could have just used aluminium foil which is my preferred fine abrasive anyway, but removing the "pip" will probably require something a bit coa***r.

In the past I've preferred files / boards because I thought the flat backing would help to keep them true, but I've nevere had points I couldn't replace before.

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - focussed

Points contacts are quite a hard material, I used to use some thin diamond coated "spatulas" when servicing two-smokes years ago.

I can't find them in the current RS components catalogue nowadays but these are similar.

https://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk/product/abrasive-diamond-coated-strip-files/

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - John F

I use a small folded part of an ancient sheet of glass (not sand) paper on the TR7.....about once every 20yrs :)

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - Andrew-T

I use a small folded part of an ancient sheet of glass (not sand) paper on the TR7.....about once every 20yrs :)

Not sure whether this distinction is important, as glass is made largely from sand. But if a deposit from either is a concern, maybe a soft cloth drawn between the points after sanding might clear it ?

Points contacts are quite a hard material, I used to use some thin diamond coated "spatulas" when servicing two-smokes years ago.

I can't find them in the current RS components catalogue nowadays but these are similar.

https://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk/product/abrasive-diamond-coated-strip-files/

Those look the biz, and surprisingly inexpensive, though of course international shipping would multiply the price about 10 fold.

Girls Best Friend (even more than the glass nail file) and shouild be Forever.

Hmm...I think I'll try a stroke or two with the nail files I have just bought and see how it looks under a lens. If seems OK I'll maybe finish with 600 grit wetNdry if I can find it here (used to be able to get it)

If I don't like the look of it I'll wait for a dinky diamond file order.

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - dadbif
The important thing is to keep the two faces parallel to each other, so the best advice, and based on my own experience, is that given by a previous poster, folded wet and dry whilst holding the points together.
You can clean any residue of afterwards.
BTW, check the condenser, a failing condenser will help contribute to burning points.

These don't look quite as bad as I thought. Maybe there's some accidental soft focus going on.

IMG_points_set4000×3000 2.04 MB

The contacts are blackened though and show metal transfer.(like metal arc welding) between them.

IMG_pit4000×3000 1.65 MB

This one has a pit

and this one has a pip.

IMG_pip4000×3000 1.62 MB

This might imply the capacitor is bad.

Edited by edlithgow on 03/04/2020 at 04:32

Duplicate deleted

Edited by dadbif on 02/04/2020 at 10:45

Searching for “Daihatsu Skywing Contact Breaker Set” or “Daihatsu Charade Contact Breaker Set” produces a lot of irrelevent rubbish from Ebay, but by chance I noticed that the Intermotor 22261, sold as a Bedford Rascal part, looks the same, though the “compatability tool” explicitly says it doesn’t fit the Skywing or any Charade.

800×737 29.9 KB

A few seIlers of these, some very cheap, so I think its worth a punt. They generally won’t ship to Taiwan but I can get it forwarded from a UK address.

The picture could be generic, but this site says its an actual image and it looks the same.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/KMS-actual-image

1600×1600 103 KB

Also found a Bosch in Latvia, which also says it doesn’t fit the Skywing but sort of says it fits any Charade (“rough guide” only, whatever that’s supposed to mean).

Poorer picture but it looks the same
https://preview.tinyurl.com/Bosch-in-Latvia

I’ll maybe get both.

I’ve seen a lot worse than that, should clean up ok.
Some later BL points had a ring rather than a flat plate on the fixed part, so there wasn’t a centre to burn....
Don’t forget the condenser.
I’ve seen a lot worse than that, should clean up ok. Some later BL points had a ring rather than a flat plate on the fixed part, so there wasn’t a centre to burn.... Don’t forget the condenser.

I took the capacitor off and put a multimeter across it, set to 20M ohms

Rise time to infinite resistance was consistently about 5 seconds if I shorted it before measuring.

Seemed to take longer the first time, but maybe I got the polarity reversed and it was already carrying an opposite charge which would have to be neutralised..

I understand if it was bust it would probably show a static reading, either infinite resistance, or very low if shorted internally.

I'll get another one if I can, but meanwhile I'll put it back together with this one.

Edited by edlithgow on 03/04/2020 at 12:56

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - Railroad.

Why not invest in an electronic ignition system such as a Lumenition or something similar? You'll benefit from the advantages of having a bigger and more reliable HT spark, and you'll never have to worry about replacing the contact breaker points or condenser ever again.

Why not invest in an electronic ignition system such as a Lumenition or something similar? You'll benefit from the advantages of having a bigger and more reliable HT spark, and you'll never have to worry about replacing the contact breaker points or condenser ever again.

Wont be available here, since there is no one who would buy such a thing, especially for a car with zero market value.

I do, however, have a Maplins transistor assistance kit, bought in the UK before they went bust.'

Ive been putting off building it, mostly because my soldering is poor.

I tried testing an ignition capacitor like that on an old motorbike that had an intermittent spark, it too seemed fine. I then changed everything else in the system to no avail. I jury rigged an external capacitor and cured it. I compared the old and new capacitors electrically, they both gave identical results. I can only assume it was breaking down when in circuit.

I tried testing an ignition capacitor like that on an old motorbike that had an intermittent spark, it too seemed fine. I then changed everything else in the system to no avail. I jury rigged an external capacitor and cured it. I compared the old and new capacitors electrically, they both gave identical results. I can only assume it was breaking down when in circuit.

All ignition condensers are exactly the same. It's job is to reduce the current crossing the points. They only differ in their shape and size. They all connect between coil negative and earth, and they can only fail in one of two ways.

1. Open Circuit. The current crossing the points will be at maximum and the points would arc and burn very quickly.

2. Short Circuit. Because the coil negative would be permanently grounded there would be no HT spark at all.

All ignition condensers are exactly the same. It's job is to reduce the current crossing the points

I understood they control the CR time of the decay in the coil. That also reduces arcing of the points.

All ignition condensers are exactly the same. It's job is to reduce the current crossing the points

I understood they control the CR time of the decay in the coil. That also reduces arcing of the points.

My point was mainly to make clear that any condenser will do. It does not have to be fitted inside the distributor. It just needs to connect to the ignition coil negative terminal and earth, so it doesn't matter how big or small it is, or what it looks like. It'll do the job it's required to do just the same. So trying to source exactly the right replacement part for this particular vehicle (or any other) is not necessary.

Meanwhile, I attacked it with the cheapo nail file I bought earlier in the week. More like a metal emery board rather then the trad metal nail file I used many years ago when I last did this, and a bit coa***.

Didn’'t attempt to “flat” it, since that’d lose a lot of metal.

IMG_file_pip4000×3000 1.75 MB

IMG_file_pit4000×3000 1.93 MB

Then I used aluminium foil (my favoured metal cleaner) on it, I assume aluminium is OK since its conductive.

IMG_foil_pip4000×3000 1.57 MB

IMG_foil_pit4000×3000 1.72 MB

Finished off with some contact cleaner on an earbud and put them back on. Seems to run OK, though I may not have set the gap correctly.

The distributor faces backwards and I couldn't see if the heel was on the peak of the cam, which I suppose is required to set the gap. Tried it with my recently bought cheapo webcam but the LEDs on it have stopped working and the light wasn't good enough. Might try it again with a mirror later.

The CB20, (this is a CB22 which I'm assuming is the same) manual says to set the heel gap rather than the points gap, (perhaps to avoid contact arm flexing?) but I was at the timing/TDC mark (not sure which it is) for static timing so this didn't seem appropriate.

They then tell you to use a dwell meter once its running, but I don't have one, and there will be very few people on the ROC who have ever heard of one.

I used a timing light and advanced it to about the middle of the upper half of the timing window, probably about another 5 degrees. Revs rose a bit when I did this.

Edited by edlithgow on 05/04/2020 at 06:37

A dwell meter is the most accurate way of setting the points. The Dwell angle is the number of distributor rotation degrees per cylinder through which the points are closed/ignition coil is switched on.

There are 90° per cylinder on a four cylinder engine. 360/4 = 90. Of this 90° the coil is switched on for x° and off for x°. Typically if the point gap is say 0.015" then the dwell angle will be around 47 - 53°. Say the dwell was set to 50°, that means the coil is switched on for 50° and off for 40°. A points ignition system is known as 'constant dwell'. This is because the dwell angle does not change with engine speed. Many automotive multimeters have a 'Duty Cycle' function which includes the facility to measure dwell angle.

Electronic ignition systems have variable dwell, which means the coil switch on time changes with engine speed. This is exactly what you want because the faster the engine turns the longer you want the coil to be switched on for. This is where electronic systems have a clear advantage over points systems, and why they're more reliable and give a bigger and fatter spark.

Once the dwell angle is set correctly you'll need to set the ignition timing. Forget using a timing light, it's not necessary. The best way to set ignition timing for any engine is to drive up the road and make small advancements to the ignition timing until the engine starts 'pinking', and then retard the timing so that it just doesn't. That way the timing will be as advanced as you can get it without the engine pinking, and that will give you maximum performance and efficiency.

Thanks for your reply.

Re A dwell meter is the most accurate way of setting the points I daresay it is, but, as I said above, I don't have one, and am unlikely to be able to get one here.

Possibly a non-automotive meter that does duty cycle (mine doesn't) could be obtained here and used for this purpose.

I have to say I'm not keen on using my questionable assessment of "pinking" (do you mean detonation, pre-ignition, or both/either?) onset as a tuning method, and would be willing to accept a slightly sub-optimal tune to avoid that danger zone.

I took most of the "extra" advance off that I'd added previously because of that concern, before I took it for a short test drive. There seemed to be more vibration than previously, though I wouldn't describe it as an obvious misfire. Driving, performance was poor and there was some fairly marked hesitation, though it remained drivable, which it wasn't before.

I dunno if the points cleanup was partly inneffective, I got the gap/timing wrong, its The Return of The Vacuum Leak, something else, or all of the above

iI'll re-do the timing and paint some more sunflower oil on the intake manifold and carb.

Might be ready for another test run thur/fri but I'll have to do some work first..

Edited by edlithgow on 05/04/2020 at 11:43

The spark occurs at the precise instant the points open, when the ignition coil switches off. The magnetic field in the coil builds up while the points are closed. It collapses when they open and a high voltage is induced into the coil secondary windings. If the points gap is too big the magnetic field will have less time to build up, reducing the plug firing voltage and misfire at higher engine speeds. If the gap is too small the timing will be retarded and the coil could easily switch on again causing a misfire.

Pinking sounds like a rattling bag of nails, particularly when the engine is under load. This is potentially damaging and must be avoided. But the engine will be timed at its best when you're almost but not quite at the point of pinking. If in doubt back it off a tiny bit more.

A vacuum gauge is best for determining whether or not you have a vacuum leak. Normal vacuum at idle is 19 - 21 in/hg. A low reading of around 5 - 10 in/hg tells you that you have a vacuum leak.

Some circumstantial evidence that a vacuum leak may be part of the problem:-

The last (much worse but give this one time) rough running episode got better after I painted the intake manifold and carburettor with multiple coats of sunflower oil, suggesting it had sealed an undetected leak. Sunflower oil polymerises oxidatively to form a plastic-like coating.

A few years ago I did a wee experiment looking at thermal degradation of sunflower oil with simple chromatography, and put the leftover oil (which had been heated in an aluminium custard pie dish) in a cupboard, where it set almost hard.

forumosa-12829.kxcdn.com/uploads/default/optimized...g

forumosa-12829.kxcdn.com/uploads/default/optimized...g

However, after a long time (maybe a year or so) it re-liquified, and later still, re-solidified.

The chemistry involved is probably rather complex, but, whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to happen where the sunflower oil is used as a binder for aluminium abraded in situ, as on my brake drums, where the coating seems stable. I assume the metal (iron and/or aluminium) somehow stabilises the oil.

I noted an oil stain under the car but couldn’t see a leak, and assumed it was from another vehicle. I now suspect the vegetable oil had re-liquified and run off the intake manifold, re exposing a vacuum leak.

If this is true, my options seem to be

(a) Re-treat it, perhaps mixing some ground aluminium into the re-applied oil.

(b) Use some other sealant, such as varnish, laquer, or PVA. The existing vegetable oil may inhibit adhesion though.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/04/2020 at 09:57

There's something I half recall from my dim and distant past.

When looking for an inlet manifold leak, use soapy water on the suspected area and turn the engine backwards. I suppose the theory being pressure will be built up.

Never tried it and don't know if it works.

There's something I half recall from my dim and distant past.

When looking for an inlet manifold leak, use soapy water on the suspected area and turn the engine backwards. I suppose the theory being pressure will be built up.

Never tried it and don't know if it works.

Reverse lateral thinking. Like it

Quite difficult to turn the engine over fast enough by hand though, and would involve some multi-tasking solo.

Sealing off the air intake fairly tightly (a plug held down by the air cleaner wing nut, maybe) should get around that, though you'd have to be a bit careful you didn;t astually cause a leak, and I suppose the crankcase ventilation system would have to be blocked off too..

Certainly seems to have potential, thanks

If it was in the days when the only inlet was the carb. I suppose you could have put your palm over that inlet and you'd only need to turn the engine back half a turn to get one cylinder on 'suck'.

Or you could spray carburettor cleaner, easy start or brake cleaner around the inlet manifold with the engine idling. Any change in engine note would mean you have a vacuum leak, and it'll be easy to locate. If there is no change then there is no leak. Don't forget too that manifold vacuum is at its highest at engine idle, and therefore its effect on the engine running is most severe at idle.

Did that. Its a standard procedure.

(t prefer butane in preference to the inflammable and potentially-damaging-to-ancient-plastics solvents that you list, but I think I also tried carb cleaner, and I may have also tried brake cleaner, since I don't find it much use for cleaning brakes)

I didn't find any evidence of a vacuum leak, BUT I'm quite a lot less than convinced that means there wasn't one.

It could be that in use thermal expansion and vibration opened up leaks that weren't significant at idle.

The recovery after painting with multiple coats of vegetable oil is quite strong evidence, IMO, though circumstantial.

Any breach in the manifold gasket or base of the carburetor won't show much, if at all when the throttle is open. This is because there is no manifold vacuum when the throttle is open. Air will be drawn via the easier route, and that's through the open throttle valve. Manifold vacuum is at its highest when the throttle is closed and the engine speed is decreasing, ie throttling off. And that's when the effect of any leak will be most obvious. And of course when the engine is idling. Don't expect to find it easy to locate a vacuum leak when the engine speed is above idle and the throttle open.

Any Points Equipped - (Glass?) Nail File for Points? - percy

Re vacuum leaks, I may have missed it in the thread but....

Have you checked the...

Vacuum brake servo?

Distributor vacuum advance?

And some cards used to have an air admittance valve to stop running on after switch off.

Good luck!

I re-did the points gap with the points arm on the peak of the cam, (which I suspect I didn’t get right last time. Awkward because it faces backward, and I had an audience), set the static timing with a test light, then set the dynamic timing with a timing light, advancing it about 3 degrees from the mark.

Better but not great. Thought it might be worth checking the inlet manifold vacuum at idle, as suggested by Railroad above.

. There’s a capped port on the inlet manifold which I assume is for such diagnostic use. Last used it checking (as recommended somewhere on't nyet) for exhaust blockage, but I couldn’t interpret the results.

The cap was missing. Thinks: “That’d be a vacuum leak, then”

One of the wee red plastic pips you get on the sharp end of wire-green-plastic-coated-hangars was a perfect fit.

(Vacuum was about 510 mm/20 ins Hg, so in the “normal” range)

Now running nicely almost all the time, based on a couple of hours test run into the mountains, but with very infrequent hesitation under acceleration.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/04/2020 at 12:18

20in/hg vacuum at idle is perfect. Snap open the throttle quickly and the gauge should drop to zero before rising to about 25in/hg after which it will settle back to 20in/hg. The needle should be rock steady. If the vacuum drops off as the engine speed is increased then suspect an exhaust restriction.

Also you mentioned going up in the mountains. Subtract 1 in/hg at idle for every 1,000ft above sea level. This is due to changes in barometric air pressure.

Thanks

Can't remember my original reference for this re exhaust restriction though I could probably dig it out. Also can't remember what my problem was with interpretation, but it could be related to,

" If the vacuum drops off as the engine speed is increased then suspect an exhaust restriction."

since that sounds like normal vacuum-is highest-at -dle behaviour as the thrittle progressively stops throttling.

In order to get something that made sense (to me) I made up a spacer with a port in it to put between two exhaust sections and measured the exhaust back pressure directly,

Meanwhile, nice day so another run, Stopped after about 5 mins to answer the phone and had great difficulty re-starting,

So back to the drawing board, or maybe the ouija board..

Meanwhile, nice day so another run, Stopped after about 5 mins to answer the phone and had great difficulty re-starting,

So back to the drawing board, or maybe the ouija board..

Make sure there is a block gasket usually about 5mm thick between the carburettor and the inlet manifold. This is a heat insulator. If it's missing, or if you have only a thin gasket you could find the engine difficult to start when it's hot after it's been switched off for a short while. This is because heat conducted directly from the engine will vapourise the fuel. Starting from cold will not be affected. It's worth checking, and if there is no block it'll be a good idea to fit one.

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind.

Don't remember much of a gasket there from when I took the carb off, so it would seem a possibility, though its dark now so Ill check later.

Would thick polythene be a suitable material?

Did have some heavy lay flat irrigation hose material, but might have lost or chucked it. Could probably scrounge up some more though.

Meanwhile I noted that my improvised vacuum gauge port cap was missing, so my money is cfurrently on that.

I'm guessing that the manifold is getting transient positive pressure incidents (though I dunno what might cause them) which blew the cap off. Fortunately I have a few coat hangers.

I put a document clip to bridge between the adjacent brake servo hose and this port, and took it for another run. It stayed on and remained drivable and startable.

I'm thinking ithat lashing the vacuum gauge to a bonnet air vent so I can see (and possibly video) it while driving might give some clues as to what is going on,, though I'll have to find a better-fitting hose.

I believe its supposed to be an economy aid too, if you drive to minimise the vacuum.

Taiwan traffic requires one to drive fairly reactively, though, so this might not be very effective in practice.

If I AM getting positive pressure spikes in the inlet manifold, leaky, sticky or mis-timed intake valves, badly mis-timed ignition, or pre ignition during the intake stroke, perhaps producing a sub-clinical "front fire" (As opposed to a "backfire", though irritatingly for lovers of symmetry this is apparently actually known as a "pop-back", at least in the US) are possible causes I can think of.

I didn't hear any obvious bangs or pops though.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/04/2020 at 09:19

I believe its supposed to be an economy aid too, if you drive to minimise the vacuum

I would have thought you'd drive for maximum vacuum for economy.

I believe its supposed to be an economy aid too, if you drive to minimise the vacuum

I would have thought you'd drive for maximum vacuum for economy.

Just going by something I read..er...somewhere.

Maximum vacuum = maximum pumping loss, but I'd think its maybe a bit more complicated than that, and you are probably right.

If its just a means of keeping your acceleration down I dunno how much better than a light foot its likely to be.

From a bit of poking around, there seems to be some argument and confusion on the topic. Some of it seems to be with "boost gauges" (which I think will read before the throttle plate) and maybe some people are also connecting vacuum gauges to "ported vacuum", which is also upstream of the throttle at least at some throttle settings..

Pretty hard to evaluate anyway, unless you've got an instantaneous fuel consumption reading for comparison, which unsurprisingly I dont have.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/04/2020 at 17:20

Going by what I recall from vacuum gauges back in the (cough) '60s, the green area was maximum vacuum.

Although I believe there is a train of thought that it's more economical to accelerate briskly to cruising speed and then back off, rather than slowly accelerate to cruising speed.

Going by what I recall from vacuum gauges back in the (cough) '60s, the green area was maximum vacuum.

Although I believe there is a train of thought that it's more economical to accelerate briskly to cruising speed and then back off, rather than slowly accelerate to cruising speed.

This gives a bit of background

https://www.autospeed.com/cms/a_113297/article

Apparently the vacuum gauge "green zone" is wrong.

The rest of the article (and its Part 2) is a pitch for a gizmo that combines TPS and MAP sensor readings (which of course I don't have, but probably most of yáll do) and lights an LED when you are using a non-optimal combo.

If I had a more modern car I'd look into getting something like that. I suppose it might be applicable with scrap sensors, but probably not worth the trouble.

I suppose another way to get positive inlet manifold pressure would be to roll backwards in gear, engine off.

I did stop on a slight hill but I dont THINK I did that, though I suppose it wouldn't take much.

I think I normally coast to a halt in neutral, which would prevent this.

I suppose another way to get positive inlet manifold pressure would be to roll backwards in gear, engine off

Do it with the bonnet up and someone spraying soapy water while looking for bubbles?

I suppose another way to get positive inlet manifold pressure would be to roll backwards in gear, engine off

Do it with the bonnet up and someone spraying soapy water while looking for bubbles?

Yes, odd how this came up again. Everything is connected

From a practical point of view it'd be a bit difficult to arrange solo, plus I may not need to, since the open port does explain the vacuum leak. Of course there may well be others.

I rigged up the gauge to where I can see it through the windscreen and will probably test drive with it tommorrow. May take it in for the 6 month inspection, though the gauge is probably technically an illegal modification.

Didn't see any positive pressures on a short test drive, though its a bit hard to see since the wipers are in the way.

Inspection tomorrow.

Re vacuum leaks, I may have missed it in the thread but....

Have you checked the...

Vacuum brake servo?

Distributor vacuum advance?

And some cards used to have an air admittance valve to stop running on after switch off.

Good luck!

There are actually 2 vacuum advances on the distributor. One of them advances the ignition when I pull a vacuum on it with a syringe, the other doesnt.

That one is connected to the horribly complex and undocumented anti-pollution gear. I disconnected and blanked of this snake pit of vacuum lines and gizmos (which I dont understand) apart from the (main?) vacuum advance, as work-around to running problems about 2 years ago, when I stripped the carb.

I labelled them, but the labels have fallen off, so I probably couldn’t re-instate them if I wanted to.

I believe this is a Taiwan-only car, so of course its undocumented, but I have manuals for similar related Daihatsu cars, which have a variety of (entirely unexplained) vacuum line diagrams for various markets, none of which is quite the same as this one.

I tried to understand it once and it gave me a headache, plus my choke stopped working, so I took it all off, and I don’t want to think about it ever again.

Of course the fact that its blanked off doesn't necessarily mean it isnt leaking.