Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - frmarcus66

Hello. Recently purchased this 6 yrs old, 59,000m car. Due to the well-known problem with some Ecoboost engines failing due to coolant system component flaw (which Ford will compensate for if occurs), I asked Ford for a free inspection of the coolant system on the ground that if it fails it will likely cost them much more than the cost of the inspection to rectify (in some cases a new engine). They refused.

As this engine can and has catastrophically failed due to coolant loss, including engine-bay fire, an inspection seems perfectly reasonable to me - but Ford wants £77. I made clear it's only that system I want checking. The car's running fine, but given the expense and inconvenience if it DID fail for this reason, from the customer's perspective it seems reasonable - or am I expecting too much?

The engine problem and Ford's initial sloppy response has been widely reported in the media.

Thanks.

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest you contact the dealer and ask if your car falls within the recall campaign for the faulty de-gas pipe . They should be able to do this from the vin number. I don’t think any make dealer does anything for nothing these days .
Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - jc2

Ford and the dealer are in most cases two separate entities;Ford do own a few dealers.Where did you get your from?

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - Brit_in_Germany

If you compare your car with the photos shown here

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2018-08/urgent-appeal-to-owners-of-ford-10-ecoboost-engines/

you will be able to tell if the rectification has already been carried out.

If you compare your car with the photos shown here

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2018-08/urgent-appeal-to-owners-of-ford-10-ecoboost-engines/

you will be able to tell if the rectification has already been carried out.

-----------

Thanks for the kind replies and helpful info. I'll check per the photo. I didn't buy from a franchised dealer so no joy there. Ford pointlessly advised they'd been in touch with my local dealer in Peterborough who would examine it - for the fee. I could do that myself! And of course were I to pay for inspection and the dealer advised no problem, then it failed soon after, I've probably no comeback...

As I said, I - seemingly naively - thought Ford might want to preempt this failure (and more bad publicity) with a quick, free inspection - but no...

Ford argued that the car is well out of warranty. It is - but that's an inconsistent argument 'cos they've already advised they'd be responsible for compensating me if this issue DID arise. If 'well out of warranty.' why cover the problem at all? I asked this; no reply.

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - Big John

As this engine can and has catastrophically failed due to coolant loss, including engine-bay fire, an inspection seems perfectly reasonable to me - but Ford wants £77. I made clear it's only that system I want checking. The car's running fine, but given the expense and inconvenience if it DID fail for this reason, from the customer's perspective it seems reasonable - or am I expecting too much?

£77 doesn't seem tooooo bad for peace of mind - if there is an issue it may even be refunded.

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - focussed

"Ford argued that the car is well out of warranty. It is - but that's an inconsistent argument 'cos they've already advised they'd be responsible for compensating me if this issue DID arise. If 'well out of warranty.' why cover the problem at all? I asked this; no reply."

You, and many other posters who post on this forum with problems, need to grasp the concept that unless the car manufacturer sold the car to you direct.(unlikely) they are not in any way liable or responsible for any repair costs due to their shoddy design and manufacture.

That's why car makers sell cars through dealers!

It is the dealer or garage that sold you the car who are liable in law.

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - Avant

That's true, although in this case when the OP says 'I asked Ford for a free inspection of the coolant system on the ground that if it fails it will likely cost them much more than the cost of the inspection to rectify (in some cases a new engine). They refused.' - (s)he probably means the Ford dealer.

So far this car hasn't gone wrong since purchase 'recently' by the OP. (S)He would have a claim against the dealer if it goes wrong within the period covered by consumer legislation: otherwise the dealer has no obligation to provide a free inspection unless Ford UK authorised it, which on a 6-y-o car they almost certainly won't.

Edited by Avant on 25/03/2020 at 10:16

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - Paulsxf

Assuming you have the old style degass pipe, you would be better off spending the money on changing it to the later type. Apparently they do retrofit. Cost is about £60-70 in parts and 15 minutes to change them over.

Thanks; that's what I'm thinking.

Indeed; Ford won't authorise - but they confirm they will compensate IF it fails. Prevention being better than (more expensive) cure, I thought they might prefer to check for the dodgy part and replace. No...

You, and many other posters who post on this forum with problems, need to grasp the concept that unless the car manufacturer sold the car to you direct.(unlikely) they are not in any way liable or responsible for any repair costs due to their shoddy design and manufacture.

I do understand that - but (i) Ford doesn't invoke this and (ii) if a car can fail catastrophically due to flawed components, even being dangerous (engine catching fire), it seems reasonable to me that the manufacturer should address this (either directly or though a dealer). One might say this is a moral, if not legal, imperative. Shaming manufacturers to recall etc does sometimes work...

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - Dorset123

The 1.0 Ecoboost engine are not catching fire. There have been some problems with the 1.5 Ecoboost engines causing fires but mostly these have been in other countries. And Ford have said if you have a failed Ecoboost engine they will look at helping the owners.

Thanks. No, not a lot - but it's the principle...

Ford B-MAX - Ford B-Max - Ecoboost engine issue - anthony constantinou

Anthony Constantinou agree that its a principle. There are some great opinion available here. Pray for #Covid19 Patients.