VW CC - 2016 - Worried! - TopScot

hi, looking for some advice. I recently bought a 2016 VW CC with 25k on the clock.

First off the aircon doesn't work, I'm getting a lot of condensation in the tail lights. The car has had new disks and pads all round which I thought was aud as my last cc Didn't require them after 72k also I have a wheel bearing going bad.

After check the mot I noticed a lot of advisories I wouldn't have thought common on a car with 25k. I bought the car from from a main dealer and am worried its been clocked? Not suggesting it was the dealer that could have clocked the car BTW

Here are the advisories

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively (1.2.1 (e))
  • Offside Front Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively (1.2.1 (e))
  • Offside Rear Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively (1.2.1 (e))
  • Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Rear Road wheel slightly distorted (5.2.2 (c) (i))

Edited by VAG2019 on 18/03/2020 at 20:23

VW CC - 2016 - Worried! - elekie&a/c doctor
Do you have any supporting evidence to verify the mileage ? How many owners on the registration document ? Was the car previously a motorbility vehicle? Does look like too many issues for a 25 k car .
VW CC - 2016 - Worried! - gordonbennet

If it was a rental or employee's 'perk' car it could easily have sat in a compound for 6 or more months after defleet, if it got parked up ar this time of year road salt would bake into the discs and calipers during the summer and could well explain the discs all being shot.

A bush or bearing could go in that mileage, depending on the road surfaces the car was used on, son's CRV a rear bearing was rumbling at 30k requiring renewal.

Doesn't the genuine mileage register on the car's ECU these days, should be readable by the main dealer if you are worried it might have been clocked.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/03/2020 at 21:12

its easy to clock a car these days, as long as you flash the ECU to marry up with clocked mileage!

the cars service history checks out, as does MOT, interior is perfect, no marks on leather seats to suggest high mileage, but so was was my last cc when i handed it back with 72k and not a single issue!

VW CC - 2016 - Worried! - SLO76
All minor stuff and no doubt the test was carried out by an overly strict main dealer as the car would almost certainly be fleet or leased with any bills paid for by a company. If the car looks good and shows no real wear inside plus the service record stacks up then I’d relax.

Clocking is relatively rare these days but not unheard of on newer cars that are leased or on PCP where there’s no MOT to verify annually. Some naughty so and so’s have the mileage altered to keep within the terms of the lease but you’ll usually find the service history is conveniently lost. If yours stacks up then chill. I would never buy any car without a full history especially a highly complex modern exec like this. It’s also common for history books to be faked so verify with the main dealer if the history is genuine and only buy something like this with a main dealer history with no gaps.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/03/2020 at 00:36

VW CC - 2016 - Worried! - Andrew-T
Some naughty so and so’s have the mileage altered to keep within the terms of the lease but you’ll usually find the service history is conveniently lost.

I thought all service history for franchised dealers went onto their national database ? That used to happen for Pugs decades ago ?

VW CC - 2016 - Worried! - Big John

Doing a low mileage per year can cause brake discs to build up rust as the rust formed overnight is never properly cleared with driving - little bits of rust eventually turn into bad pitting. ie this could be a sign that the car has done too small a mileage! If presented for MOT with rusty/pitted discs then this could be the brake fluctuation issues.

Check wheel bearing going bad isn't a tyre issue - this design of car (VAG independent rear suspension) is know for sawtooth wear in the rear tyres. - or the distorted rear wheel is the root cause after a kerb clout!

Re aircon - take it back to be sorted!

Having said all that my son bought a 2016 Octavia with only 19k miles on the clock in November and there is no indication of the brakes being replaced (service record) and when it was recently serviced my local garage said they looked in fabulous condition with very little wear.

It can depend on the types of journey a car does though and where it is parked overnight.

Edited by Big John on 20/03/2020 at 23:02

Hi all just to update, the lights got sorted. They said they were not going to do it under warranty so I phoned the finance company and said I was rejecting it, phoned Arnold clark and told them that, and that I was on the way with the keys to drop the car off to them. Within 5 mins the service manager calls me and says the parts have been ordered! The aircon still isn't working, they said the gassed it but even though I told them the compressor was out but I'll deal with that after lockdown

I also said to Arnold Clark service manager that it's pretty disappointing I had to reject the car for them to honor a warranty they gave me in the first place!

Also, the mileage is definitely genuine.

Edited by VAG2019 on 13/04/2020 at 20:57

VW CC - 2016 - Worried! - Falkirk Bairn

AC have a reputation - and it is not a good one.in my experience and that of my family./friends.

Warranty repairs on 2 nd hand cars? they will wriggle to avoid everything possible.