N/A - Battery Maintenance Chargers - Deryck

I have been looking at maintenance chargers for the car if it is not to be used for a period or if it is used only for short journeys. I have seen the CTEK MXS 5.0 but I am not 100% sure if it can be connected to the battery whilst connected to the vehicle. It looks like it can as it comes with ring terminals for the battery terminals.

I asked the company but all I got was the product information.

Does anyone know or can recommend a suitable charger?

N/A - Battery Maintenance Chargers - elekie&a/c doctor
C-tek chargers are top quality. They can be connected to battery via the fly lead at all times with no problem . Just connect the 2 pin extension lead from the charger to the battery

Thanks for the reply! The CTEK seemed quite reasonable on price - seen some on Eurocarparts that are similarly spec'd. Are these any good?

N/A - Battery Maintenance Chargers - bsm
You might want to check this charger out. I am very happy with the features and performance of my NOCO genius G3500UK 3.5A 6V & 12V Fully automatic. Smart battery charger. They’re designed in USA, made in China. Bought mine via Ebay £52 in Dec 2018.
N/A - Battery Maintenance Chargers - focussed

I have been using Lidl chargers for some time for motorcycles and mowers, dumper etc.They are ok but suffer from one serious defect, if the mains interrupts or fails the charger reverts to "mains on but not charging as mode not set" .

Aldi make a brilliant little charger that I have replaced two of the Lidl chargers with, it resets itself and carries on monitoring the battery and charging as necessary after any mains failure.

They are a bargain at £12.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/car-battery-charger/p/090030347442700#product-reviews

That looks good for the price. Is it OK for stop / start batteries?

I would consider the C -tek ct 5 . This is specially designed for stop/start batteries.
N/A - Battery Maintenance Chargers - Hugh Watt
I would consider the C -tek ct 5 . This is specially designed for stop/start batteries.

If I can tag a question on here, doc - I have an older model Ctek, XS 3600, and now have a car with stop-start.. I know the CT5 is specifically aimed at S-S, but I've tended to assume the older model would work just fine. What do you think? (Your advice is much valued on here!)

How is it different from an ordinary automatic charger?

Stop/start batteries are AGM design . So presumably if the charger is suitable for these, then hopefully there shouldn’t be an issue . There are sub £20 chargers out there that say agm compatable, but are they ?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 20/03/2020 at 14:31

Stop/start batteries are AGM design . So presumably if the charger is suitable for these, then hopefully there shouldn’t be an issue . There are sub £20 chargers out there that say agm compatable, but are they ?

The instructions state suitable for wet or gel lead acid and AGM batteries but not for lithium batteries.

I bench tested one of these chargers with a brand new Yuasa AGM 12 ah AGM bike battery with two multimeters hooked up to check battery voltage and charge rate and it does what it says on the tin so to speak.

The charger I am referring to is the MD 19161 made by Medion, there have been quite a few earlier models from Aldi over the years.

Instructions here in english.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1675853/Medion-Autoxs-Md-19161.html?page=10#manual

Edited by focussed on 21/03/2020 at 16:36