Suzuki Baleno - Diminution in value after paint job - joegrundy

The Suzuki rejection saga continues. After six weeks +, the finance co./bank have told me that they are to instruct a company to inspect the car. I understand that the company (Dekra) is quite well-known and well-regarded, and I await contact from them.

In the meantime, a local chap has had a look at the car for me. He is a 'mainly hobbyist' well-respected for his skills in paint correction, detailing, etc. After using a paint depth gauge, lighting, etc., he is confident that the car has not had accident damage repaired or paintwork done. I am reassured by this. His view was that the corrosion could be repaired if it was outside in and that a whole-roof respray would be needed.

My (good) local main dealer uses a bodyshop with a good reputation, so I am reasonably confident that a good paint job with any necessary paint correction could be an effective fix.

My question is this. However good a paint job is, does the fact that it's been done lead to a reduction in the car's value? If so, by what sort of amount? (The car's a 2016, value c. £7k).

Thanks in advance.

Suzuki Baleno - Diminution in value after paint job - dan86

The Suzuki rejection saga continues. After six weeks +, the finance co./bank have told me that they are to instruct a company to inspect the car. I understand that the company (Dekra) is quite well-known and well-regarded, and I await contact from them.

In the meantime, a local chap has had a look at the car for me. He is a 'mainly hobbyist' well-respected for his skills in paint correction, detailing, etc. After using a paint depth gauge, lighting, etc., he is confident that the car has not had accident damage repaired or paintwork done. I am reassured by this. His view was that the corrosion could be repaired if it was outside in and that a whole-roof respray would be needed.

My (good) local main dealer uses a bodyshop with a good reputation, so I am reasonably confident that a good paint job with any necessary paint correction could be an effective fix.

My question is this. However good a paint job is, does the fact that it's been done lead to a reduction in the car's value? If so, by what sort of amount? (The car's a 2016, value c. £7k).

Thanks in advance.

If done properly then it shouldn't have any affect on the cars value unless it's been declared a write off by the insurance.

Suzuki Baleno - Diminution in value after paint job - catsdad

If it’s done properly as you indicate it will have zero effect on the car value. If it’s a car you care about you are perhaps being over-concerned? At the end of the day a car is a commodity and if it looks OK the price you get when you come to sell will not be affected by a properly repainted roof.

No buyer, private or trade, will get their paint gauge out.

Suzuki Baleno - Diminution in value after paint job - SLO76
If done properly there’s no reduction in value as no one would even know.
Suzuki Baleno - Diminution in value after paint job - Old.Roverboy

I recently sold the MG ZS to the servicing dealer, they knew about the "ding" repairs on the creaseline of the door and tailgate. all done properly and no reduction in price.

If you are otherwise happy with the car, keep it.

Suzuki Baleno - Diminution in value after paint job - joegrundy

Just as an update - and to keep things balanced - I have been contacted this morning by Dekra and the car is to be inspected on Wednesday.