Ford Puma - Puma - small cat report - drd63
Well Harvey (sadly we name our cars) is now 1 week and 700 miles old so I thought I’d share my initial thoughts.
Let’s start with the good. He is very comfortable, we did go for the Titanium version as it is supposed to be the comfy model. Seats seem very supportive and for a smallish car have a good length squab. I didn’t ever think I’d need a heated steering wheel and I don’t but it a real nice to have. Ride is good and it’s pretty quiet. The engine, all 1l and 125bhp is surprisingly punchy and refined, flexible as well, I think that’s the electric boost at low revs. My wife’s Fiat 124(Gina) has a 1.4t which is really laggy at low revs in comparison. For a fwd car a good gear change, quick, light, precise. Handling, really sharp but it is Fiesta based so should be.
The OK - initially the stereo sounded a bit weak but I think I was being unfair and comparing it to my Mustang (Rosco). All the safety stuff, lane keep, adaptive cruise, seems OK and one day might save my life but seems a bit OTT, the blind spot monitoring is fantastic though and should be standard on all cars. I know some criticise Ford interiors but it feels pretty well put together and user friendly, personal view but I like the fabrics and overall design.
Could be better - the sat nav seems to take ages to boot up, it should be the same sync system as Rosco so I don’t understand that, the indicator and wiper stalks feel cheap, a shame when other touch points are good. The steering, accurate though it is feels too light, there might be a way to change it but I’ve not found it yet. Economy, am I expecting too much but 47mpg is less than expected, might improve with use.
Other stuff - I’ve had two people comment very positively about looks, not mine sadly but Harvey’s in car parks and he still looks and feels bigger than he is. Oh and as he’s going to cover quite a few miles good to see service intervals of 18k miles.
Ford Puma - Puma - small cat report - Avant

Many thanks for this, drd63 - reports ike this are always interesting and useful.

The Puma has been winning group tests in magazines that get wrongly accused of being in the pay of VAG, and it should sell well. Here's hoping that the forthcoming new Kuga will be as good: the range is to include a plug-in hybrid for the same price as the diesel.

Economy will no doubt improve with mileage, but 47 mpg sounds very reasonable already.

Ford Puma - Puma - small cat report - primus 1

Thanks drd63. I’m considering a Puma so this review helps, keep it coming, the only thing I’ve found is the trim line up is a bit confusing, there’s titanium and titanium first edition as is the same with st line/ x, plus all the packs that can be added, it seems you can’t just add certain features, you have to add a pack..

Ford Puma - Puma - small cat report - drd63
Primus, agree about the packs. Mine is Titanium 1st edition so it comes with the comfort and driver assist packs, it wasn’t available with the 155bhp engine though but the non 1st edition Titanium is??
Went for Titanium as IMO the black plastic wheel arch surrounds look better than body colour, it’s supposed to be a more comfort based ride and Mrs drd is vegan, the st lines have full leather.
Ford Puma - Puma - small cat report - primus 1

Yes I quite fancy the auto tailgate and blis but it might cost more than an st line x 1st edition, having to add two packs, not sure if you can get them in one pack, I’ll need to do more research when I get serious about buying one..