Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - joegrundy

I am possibly/maybe contemplating a new Duster Essential 100 tce with the new 100bhp/160 nm engine.

A test drive on local (rural w. Wales) road was OK - nothing startling but OK, which is about all I need nowadays. (My current Baleno also has about the same power 100/160 but weighs less than 1 tonne and is a bit of a pocket rocket).

I read the HJ review of the Captur with this engine - OK but a bit fraught at motorway speeds.

My concern is this - about one third of my annual mileage is a long trip to Andorra and back, half of which involves long distances on French Autoroutes at steady 85mph. 'Fraught' is not a good feel, although I am used to being overtaken by basic Twingos and the like at 90 mph!

I am tending more towards a Fabia 1.0 110bhp, which has 200nm and - maybe crucially - a 6 speed box.

I'd be grateful for thoughts or experiences. The two cars are, at the moment about the same price on a PCP deal.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - Old.Roverboy

For me, I would go for the Fabia, engine has been around longer.

Quality control a bit better tha Renault too!

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - glidermania

I find the Renault Energy 99bhp engine in our 2016 Twingo Dynamique S to be excellent at motorway speeds. In fact, it will sit at 80-85mph on the motorway all day (if there's no police about!). Not so hot in the traffic light grand prix in fact but I can live with that.

A friend has a 2019 Duster with the 1ltr 3 pot. it feels a bit nippier than our Twingo from a standstill but it may be how he drives. Again, it sits nicely at 80mph down the motorway when we do a 100 mile round trip to the footy.

Choice wise, it's horses for courses. Skoda is VAG so wouldnt be on my list. Some people point to Nissan to do Renault down but I cannot say we've had any trouble with ours.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - Avant

Joe, you need to try both of these and see how well each suits you.

The Duster is a very good workhorse which has many devotees, but they aren't people who prioritise driving enjoyment. The 1.0 Renault engine is sluggish even in the lighter Clio, according to road tests.

My elder daughter has just ordered a Fabia 1.0 110 bhp (detailed in the thread 'replacing a Hyundai i10'). She didn't expect to like this best compared with the others on the shortlist (new model i10 and Toyota Yaris 1.5), but after a test drive it won by a comfortable margin.

The 1.0 TSI is a terrific engine, and coupled with a 6-speed gearbox it'll be fine for long journeys as well as short ones. The icing on the cake was that the Fabia was £60 a month cheaper than either of the other two. It would also have been cheaper than the similarly-powered Polo, Ibiza and A1, largely because Skoda are currently offering 0%.

Hers (an SEL) is a factory order as she wants * a reversing camera, but if you're not fussy abut colour or extras, there should be some in the system in the UK.

* As she's not going to see this I can safely say 'needs' as well as 'wants'....

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - JoeB

A little Renault engine being worked hard to pull that around sounds like a hand grenade with the pin out. I wouldn't touch it.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - badbusdriver

Unless the Baleno experience has put you off Suzuki's, why not consider the S Cross 1.0 Boosterjet. This uses the same engine as your Baleno and actually has 111bhp and 170nm (torque is pegged back to 160nm on the auto, but the bhp is the same). It is around the same size as a Duster, but weighs around 100kg less. The extra power and less weight means that (while clearly no rocketship), it has a noticeably better power to weight ratio, 102 VS 85bhp per tonne. Times when i have looked at the S Cross re other threads, they seem to be cheaper than the slightly smaller but much trendier Vitara. You haven't mentioned the prices of the two cars you are looking at, but a quick look on Autotrader shows a brand new S Cross 1.0 Boosterjet can be had for £13749 (£5k off list price).

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/03/2020 at 16:32

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - thunderbird

I am tending more towards a Fabia 1.0 110bhp, which has 200nm and - maybe crucially - a 6 speed box.

We have had a Fabia 110 PS SE-L since early December and it is truly a great car. We bought it 18 months old with low mileage to replace a 2008 Focus and despite being in a smaller class we have lost no space either inside or in the boot with the exception of interior width which for us is not an issue, we never carry 3 adults in the back, if we needed to we would take the Pulsar. Performance is very strong and its averaged a true 49 mpg in our stewardship which is bang in HJ Real mpg's figure. On the one decent trip we have done so far, about 200 miles in the day it actually averaged about 55 mpg, that is diesel economy. At a true 70mph in 6th its doing about 2200 rpm, great for your trips abroad.

My only comment to you would be, since you are looking at a Duster which is a bigger car should you not be looking at the Fabia estate. Again this might be better for your trips abroad for a small additional outlay.

Just one other comment, since September 2018 the 1.0 TSi has been 115 PS not 110 PS but the torque is identical, you would not notice any advantage over an older car.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - Ethan Edwards

cheaper than the slightly smaller but much trendier Vitara.

Wow I'm trendy ! When did this start? That Suzuki 1 litre turbo is a cracking engine. I have it in a new Swift. I also have the 1.4t in my 'trendy' Vitara. I understand the Baleno is a bit of an under rated hidden gem when using that 1 lire boosterjet. I can well believe it.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - SLO76
Of these two I’d take the Fabia Estate but personally I’d have a used Civic or similar instead.
Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - daveyK_UK

I haveRead good things about the 1.0 in the Duster, no complaints from current owners

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - S40 Man

I have a friend and colleague who is a big Daccia fan. He has had two Dusters a diesel 1.5 and a N/A petrol. He preferred the pull of the diesel. He now has a Sandero Stepway with the 3 cyl TCE engine. He took me out on it the other day. It pulled OK. The only problem he said Its a bit jerky when cold. He blushed the automatic choke. A Duster is probably a bit bigger and heavier than a Sandero Stepway but even so it might be OK

"Just one other comment, since September 2018 the (Fabia) 1.0 TSi has been 115 PS not 110 PS but the torque is identical, you would not notice any advantage over an older car."

It says 110 bhp on both the order form and on Skoda's website - but it doesn't make much difference.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - Happy Blue!

I know that the Skoda has a huge fan base but we have a had a 2015 Captur since new with the 0.9l TCe engine, now on 37,000 miles. It was serviced and MoT'd this week and there have been no issues with it all.

In terms of driving, it is fine. Although it has been driven by other members of the firm/family, I took it to London (form Manchester) over Christmas with my wife and it was perfectly satisfactory. Compared to my E350CDi it is slow, but apart from being a little sluggish off the line, it gets up to speed and maintains it comfortably.

Don't dismiss the more powerful engine in the new Duster. It may well be very good.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - thunderbird

"Just one other comment, since September 2018 the (Fabia) 1.0 TSi has been 115 PS not 110 PS but the torque is identical, you would not notice any advantage over an older car."

It says 110 bhp on both the order form and on Skoda's website - but it doesn't make much difference.

That is very interesting and like you say that is what the Skoda website shows.

Going back to late November when we bought the Fabia we initially went to view the Scala which is definitely 115 PS. We bought the 1 1/2 year old Fabia at what seemed a bargain price (no regrets) and believed at the time it was 115 PS. But a quick read on the Skoda forum confirmed that since it was a Euro 5 car with no OPF it was 110 PS, the newer cars (September 2018 onward) which are Euro 6 with a OPF are 115 PS.

Now it seems all VAG 110 PS 1.0 TSi's were upgraded on Euro 6 except the Fabia, seems strange but in reality what is the point of an extra 5 PS especially when the torque is exactly the same.

It may well be that to differentiate between the more premium brands (Audi, Seat, VW) and the communist brand (Skoda) Skoda have been told to keep the badge PS at 110 despite the fact the engine is probably the same.

Surely you cannot allow the communist brand to have the same power as an Audi that is probably 50% more expensive, That would be shocking in the extreme.

But lets not forget, Skoda manufacture all the 1.0 TSi's for all the brands. I remember a question in a motoring column in the press regarding the fact that a chap had bought himself a new Audi and was shocked to find it had a Skoda engine. He was hoping to take legal action since he believed an Audi should have an Audi engine. What an idiot.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - Nomag

If you don't mind me asking JoeGrundy, why are you replacing the Baleno?

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - Oli rag

There is a comparison test of this Duster against an MG ZS on Auto express. They thought the Duster was best overall, but I was shocked to see it only did 29 MPG!

If you don't mind me asking JoeGrundy, why are you replacing the Baleno?

Thanks for the helpful comments and opinions. Sorry for the delay in responding.

I'm going through the rejection process with the Baleno because of corrosion on the roof, which I've been told will require a windscreen out and complete roof respray. I'm actually very impressed by the Baleno in general and it meets all my requirements. Had it not had this issue I would have been happy to keep it.

Actually, I've just noticed over the last couple of mornings when the car's been rained on overnight that there's an interesting contrast on part of the roof. There's a fairly definite line about where the b-pillars are. Forward of that towards the windscreen (where the corrosion is) the water is nicely beaded. The other part, not. It's almost as if the front part only has been waxed or coated but not the back. I can't see why anyone would do that but now I wonder whether the roof has had some paintwork done in the past but badly and that's why the corrosion is present. I was assured by the supplying dealer that the car had never had damage repaired, etc., but ... I think I'll take it to a bodyshop next week and ask for their opinion. Perhaps a paint depth gauge might reveal something.

Suzuki stopped selling them last year, so a replacement would be another 'used approved' one, and I've lost some faith in that designation. Also, a PCP suits me at the moment and it would be cheaper to buy a new car after discounts and interest deals, plus a longer warranty, of course.

"....I was shocked to see it only did 29 MPG."

The road test will have include performance testing so is a worst case scenario, but even so the Duster is a biggish car for a little 1.0-litre engine to pull along, so economy is unlikely to be its best feature.

If you prefer an SUV, the Suzuki suggested above is well worth a look, athough I' not sure whether there are good PCP deals on it. Hopefully Skoda will stll be doing 0% on the Fabia when you've finally rejected the Baleno - and the Fabia will give you 40 mpg in town, 50+ on a long run.

Dacia Duster - New Renault 1.0 tce engine - badbusdriver

The road test will have include performance testing so is a worst case scenario, but even so the Duster is a biggish car for a little 1.0-litre engine to pull along, so economy is unlikely to be its best feature.

I'm don't think that explains the Duster's appalling test MPG Avant, after all, the MG ZS (also a 1.0 turbo) tested against the Duster managed 36.1 under, presumably exactly the same conditions. In fact it seems even more likely a 'mistake' was made when you consider the MG tested was actually an auto (i believe these use a t/c auto, so none of the supposed gains some automated manuals enjoy).

But ignoring this, far too much emphasis is being put on the 'size' of the Duster to be using a 1.0 turbo, when the real consideration in normal day to day use should be weight. Yes, the Suzuki SX4 S Cross i mentioned earlier is 100kg lighter (with more power), but the Suzuki (like most Suzuki's) is especially light. Compared to the average, the Dacia isn't that heavy. With a kerbweight of 1191kg it is only 46kg (about 4%) heavier than a 95PS 1.0 Polo 5 door, and nobody would bat an eyelid at that engine/car combo.

For Joe, and his lengthy European road trips, the potential problem with the Duster (VS the Fabia) would be aerodynamics. Not the size of the car, or (up to a point) the power output, or (again, up to a point) the weight, or even the amount of gears (certainly regarding economy, as the deciding factor here is how far open the throttle needs to be to maintain speed rather than rpm directly). If spending a lot of time at speed, the taller. bluffer shape of the Duster would require more power to push it through the air than the more slippery Fabia (though itself, hardly a shining example of aerodynamic efficiency).

I wouldn't disagree with you at all there, BBD: I ment 'biggish' in a more general sense than just length and width.

The Duster is a solid workhorse which clearly meets a lot of needs. I haven't driven one, but suspect it's well suited to a diesel engine wth plenty of low-down pull and better economy.

As always, this comes down to what someone wants from their car. No doubt Joe will test-drive whatever he puts on his shortlist, and hopefully he'll let us know how he gets on.

Many thanks again for the responses and useful points to consider.

I'm a bit in limbo at the moment with the rejection stuff going on. LBG are not being shall we say 'dynamic' but there's less than three weeks left of the Ombudsman's eight week limit to resolve the issue. I may need to find a replacement fairly quickly.

For the last six years I was using my old x-type 2.0d, which was very good at the long trips, so any change to a small engined petrol is a step. Have been pleased with the Baleno, though.

I did have a look at an S Cross and liked it. Problem is that it's easy for financial 'mission creep' to set in if you're not careful. A new Duster or Fabia is only about £25 a month more than the payments on the 2016 Baleno (with discounts and low rates) and seems worth it.

I like Dacia - my son has just got rid of his Sandero after buying it new in 2015. It was excellent. The only thing it needed was a new driveshaft seal - found by Dacia during service last year and fixed by them under warranty. A Duster would be ideal for local roads what with pot-holes and cow slurry and I quite like the 'anti-badge' philosophy.

Absolute mpg isn't a deal killer for me - on a 2.5k trip the difference between 50mpg and 40mpg is only 12 gallons so not a big deal. And, of course I could be more sensible and cruise at 70 and take an extra day, I'm not under time constraints.

Thanks again - lots to think about.