Ford Puma - Ford Puma 2020 - drd63
And so after quite a long wait our Puma has arrived, delivered by the dealer in the evening to help make up for the delivery delay. The delay wasn’t their fault so they’ve been pretty good about it. In the flesh it looks lovely and while only a few cm’s longer, wider and of course taller than the Fiesta on which it’s based it feels much bigger inside and out. We went for the Titanium model, this is supposed to be the comfortable version and first impressions are that it is, massage seats are standard but haven’t tried these yet, quite a neat feature on a cheapish car though.
One of the big things with the Puma is the mild hybrid engine and it’s going to be really interesting to see how, or if this really does help economy. I was slightly dubious about getting the 125bhp engine (the 155 version not being available on the 1st edition model) but again, early impressions are that it seems to pull pretty well and is more flexible than expected, previous experience of other makes of small turbo petrols is that they have too much lag. The electric motor on the Puma is designed to boost low down torque.
This car will be covering a fair variety of driving conditions and we’re expecting it to cover c20k miles a year so I’ll let you know how the economy goes.
I know there was a thread here recently questioning the point of hybrids, this mild version might be the answer.
Ford Puma - Ford Puma 2020 - leef

Cheers drd, keep us posted on your progress with the new car, I was having a good look at one at the weekend and im keen to see how they fair in the real world. Will be intresting to read your updates.

Ford Puma - Ford Puma 2020 - badbusdriver

Looking at a What Car video review, they said the mild hybrid version of the Suzuki Ignis was the most efficient car they'd ever tested for 'real world' economy figures. The figure achieved was also around 17% higher than the non hybrid version (itself also very efficient).

So, in theory(!), the economy gains for the Puma should be worthwhile.

Ford Puma - Ford Puma 2020 - carl233

This 1.0 engine needs 5w20 oil in which some dealers are still using the 5w30 oil, do ensure your dealer is using the correct oil as the Ford tech I know openly admits when stocks run low they use 5w30. It is critical to the timing belt in oil that the right oil product is used. Covering 20k miles per year you might want to consider a belt change in year 4 although really it is down to your risk posture. Some dealers charge £800 to change this oil bathed belt. The Puma certainly looks the part though and is priced well in the market.

Thanks for the heads up on this Carl, I’ll bear it in mind when booking a service. You’re right, it does seem really well priced, I’m amazed by the amount of kit and tech.
Ford Puma - Ford Puma 2020 - primus 1

We looked at the Puma a couple of weeks ago, even arranging a test drive, but cancelled due to us not being quite ready to change just yet, maybe in a couple of months, but we really like the car, my wife is a little on the petite side and she’s not comfortable in “ big” cars but she was able to get really comfortable in the Puma , please keep us updated on your car, as it will be interesting to see how it goes, ( I’m really jealous btw..lol)

Ford Puma - Ford Puma 2020 - daveyK_UK

I assume the Puma hybrid has good retention figures?

any idea what they are? the RRP Percentage retention would be of interest.

I did read the Fords new Romanian factory has been slightly delayed getting them into production and is expected to run at maximum capacity for the next 12 months as Ford predict high demand.

Interesting that a significant proportion of parts for the Puma will be made by the same suppliers who support Dacia.

Thanks Primus and will do, I’ve hardly driven it yet, my wife has been using it so far and seems to be liking it, she has a 50 mile each way commute and thinks it’s very comfy. I have a decent 200 mile round trip tomorrow so should have a better idea of what it’s really like then.