Peugeot 508SW - Approved Used? - Tim Allcott

Just been to test drive my potential next car, which had, according to the salesman (big national chain) been carefully prepared.

1) towing eye loose in an underfloor boot cavity. Yes, you have to know where it lives to put it away, but why is it there?

2) No Compressor/ tyre sealant in car

3) Windscreen washers producing a dribble from drivers side, nothing from passenger side.

Housing for ultrasonic alarm sensor offside A pillar missing, so sensor waving around (in line of sight) on 8 cm of wire

4) Outside temperature sensor U/S showing a temperature of 36 degrees Centigrade (in March!) Not a particular problem, apart from the fact that the climate control system responds to that, so, unless temperature set to "Hi" system blowing cold air, air con not functioning, car misting up.

Doesn't really inspire confidence, and I do wish people would take a little more pride in their work

Peugeot 508SW - Approved Used? - Old.Roverboy

As Elvis sang,

Walk Away, walk away...

Certainly my first instinct, sir... Problem is there are only about 12 of these cars available nationwide. Next best option (taking price/mileage into account) is a private sale near Manchester, and I'm on the other side of the Pennines. I will persist, but with great care.

Tim Allcott

Peugeot 508SW - Approved Used? - Andrew-T

My two-penn'orth:

1) it could easily be refitted? I guess it would rattle where it is though ...

3) was the reservoir empty? Should be easily sorted anyway ...

4) maybe showing °F, not °C ? Some on-line weather reports do that for a few seconds. Is that possible? I think if sensors fail, they usually show nothing ?

Agree about pride in their work, but these faults don't sound horrendous to me. No need to walk away as long as they are willing to do the necessary. I presume you were happy with the test drive ?

Peugeot 508SW - Approved Used? - gordonbennet

Outside temp gauges do a lot more on some vehicles, euro 6 esp, than you might imagine, the temp displayed for the driver is only a by product in some cases.

Can cause all sorts of issues, fuelling and emissions will be trying to work to that temp, in lorries it can cause the adblu to stop being used completely and vehicle down on power.

Another car dealer who deserves never to sell another car by the sound of it, were they wearing red noses and size 20 shoes and did the exhaust backfire and the doors fall of their car when they arrived at work in the morning.

My two-penn'orth:

1) it could easily be refitted? I guess it would rattle where it is though ...

3) was the reservoir empty? Should be easily sorted anyway ...

4) maybe showing °F, not °C ? Some on-line weather reports do that for a few seconds. Is that possible? I think if sensors fail, they usually show nothing ?

Agree about pride in their work, but these faults don't sound horrendous to me. No need to walk away as long as they are willing to do the necessary. I presume you were happy with the test drive ?

Yes, towing eye could easily be re-fitted, but its position would seem to indicate it had recently been used. 3) I don't think the reservoir was empty, rear screen wash was fully operational. I would have thought the front screen wash operating that inneficently would be an M.O.T. failure? We'd driven across the M62 that morning, and the roads were covered with salt. I think we would very quickly have reached the point of being unable to see out of the windscreen.

4) I initially thought the same, but there was a "C" symbol next to the temperature. I googled the issue whilst waiting for the salesperson to return, and it's a known Peugeot fault. Gargae fitting "new mirror" today.. they only needed to replace the sensor. I'm still considering my options.

Tim

<< Yes, towing eye could easily be re-fitted, but its position would seem to indicate it had recently been used.

4) I initially thought the same, but there was a "C" symbol next to the temperature. I googled the issue whilst waiting for the salesperson to return, and it's a known Peugeot fault. Garage fitting "new mirror" today.. they only needed to replace the sensor. I'm still considering my options. >>

Tim - the towing eye on my 2008 Pug 207SW has always been in the boot with the jack etc., never fitted or needed. Yours may have been used to lash the car to a transporter? And having recently changed a mirror on my 306 I think that may well be easier than replacing the temp sensor, which may even be (officially) impossible. The whole mirror is 'plug-&-play', so if the garage is doing it FOC, just be grateful.

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/03/2020 at 10:21

Thanks for your thoughts, Andrew. Having managed to find the manual online, the towing eye lives with the puncture repair kit (and, yes, could have been used for a tie down). My concern is that, as the car has a fancy hybrid system it should only ever be recovered on a flat bed, not towed with either set of road wheels in motion. You may well be right about the mirror, Google does indicate it is possible to replace just the sensor. Hope they have obtained the correct colour if replacing the entire mirror!

You may well be right about the mirror, Google does indicate it is possible to replace just the sensor. Hope they have obtained the correct colour if replacing the entire mirror!

If a 1994 306 is any comparison, the colour-coded mirror casing is (fairly) easily exchanged - it's the usual matter of prising apart plastic parts without damaging the lugs which hold them together.

Peugeot 508SW - Approved Used? - SLO76
Not a good car anyway. Buy something else.