Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - littlerussell

After a body shop repair a couple of weeks ago, the car wouldn't start this morning - just completely dead.

AA called, who found that the battery terminal was resting on the battery and making a very loose connection, not bolted on, and the terminal cover was sitting on top of the suspension housing a few inches away. It probably finally fell off when I pulled up on to my drive last night. They've provided me with a written statement of what they found to send to the bodyshop. The bonnet hasn't been opened since I got it back so definitely nothing to do with me!

Obviously will be writing a strongly worded letter to the bodyshop, but - hypothetically - what would have happened to a modern car if I'd been cruising along the fast lane of the motorway, on adaptive cruise control, etc, etc, and I'd hit a pothole which had disconnected it? I assume that I would have ground to a halt pretty quickly with no lights etc? Or would the alternator have kept the car going? How much at risk have they put me? Do I have any comeback given that nothing serious happened other than an inconvenienced Saturday waiting around for the AA .... ?

Edited by littlerussell on 29/02/2020 at 19:28

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - SLO76
I’ve no time for this compensation culture nonsense. This was a minor mistake made by a member of staff that ultimately caused no harm. Let it lie.
Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - elekie&a/c doctor
I doubt if anything would have happened. Once the engine is running, the electrical systems are pretty much running off the alternator. Certainly an inconvenience, not much more .
Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - focussed

I would be a bit concerned as to what else they've left loose......:-)

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - daveyjp

Do people really call the AA before opening the bonnet and having at least a quick look for any signs for what may be wrong?

Five minutes with a spanner would have saved waiting for them.

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - Andrew-T

Agree with all the above. You can claim for something which has inconvenienced or cost you. Nothing seems to have, you just made no attempt to see what was wrong. A poor mistake by the bodyshop, but you probably aren't going there again ?

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - Andrew-T

Do people really call the AA before opening the bonnet and having at least a quick look for any signs for what may be wrong?

Without wishing to offend, I guess a fair number of lady owners would probably do that if no male associate was available (there are exceptions of course) :-)

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - Bolt

Without wishing to offend, I guess a fair number of lady owners would probably do that if no male associate was available (there are exceptions of course) :-)

Not many I think, as my SIL called them once to open the bonnet as she had no idea where the lever was on the Fiesta, and never looked for it just called the AA

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - madf

It is your word aginst the bodyshop you did not open the bonnet..

"Sex and a journey" would be the likely reply to a compensation claim.

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - barney100

Save yourself the hassle, they may offer you a long walk on a short pier........

Honda Civic - Battery terminal left loose ... - Simon

What repair did the bodyshop do? Are you even sure that they disconnected the battery at any point?