Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - HGV ~ P Valentine

Hello,

I am looking at buying a Y reg Toyota Yaris that has not moved in at least 18 Mths, and simply doing it up myself ( even though I am not a mechanic ), it has not had tax or mot for 18 mths but I have looked at the mot history and it is not to bad over the last 12 years.

The owner is asking 150 quid for it, but that is negotiable.

2 questions ...

1 . Is it even worth doing up

2 . Is £ 150 quid a fair price.

There are only a few scratches on the body work, and cannot see anything obviously wrong with the look of it. It has pretty good mileage for the year.

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - elekie&a/c doctor
You can’t really can’t go wrong with one of these , even at £150 or less . But before you splash your cash , I would book it into a garage for an mot test . At least they will advise you if it’s an economic proposition .
Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - thunderbird

I may be out of date but as far as I am aware the only time it is legal to drive a car on the road without a current MOT is to a garage for a pre booked MOT test. Further to that I am pretty sure it has to be the nearest garage from where you set off from and not the nearest garage to your home. If it fails on a serious issue it is not legal to drive it on the road thus your only option would be to either dump it at the garage, allow them to fix it or get a transporter to take it to your preferred location.

It could easilly turn into a money pit.

Plus you have not given any info about your DIY ability.

No you are right about the mot, it has to be pre booked and local. My mechanical knowledge is very limited it will be a project for me, and I will have to seek advice on most of it. In short I would not call myself a mechanic, at all.

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - edlithgow

No you are right about the mot, it has to be pre booked and local. My mechanical knowledge is very limited it will be a project for me, and I will have to seek advice on most of it. In short I would not call myself a mechanic, at all.

You don't have to call yourself a mechanic. You just have to fix stuff.

I'd think that car will be well documented and still have reasonable spares availability, but it might be worth checking the latter point with perhaps a few sample parts or a query on a user group.

If this is OK, inspection can focus on rust, a deal breaker unless you fancy getting into welding, which is an option but a rather intimidating lone.

Rust is mostly diagnosable with a thorough physical inspection, without special skills or tools.

Re getting the seller to MOT it, seems a stretch to me on a 150 quid (max) car. I've tried that on (with a vehicle I thought was overpriced anyway), and been told to take a walk, which I did.

I'd guess the seller might be more willing for you to MOT it yourself, at your expense, IF its drivable or can be made so fairly easily.

Most likely problem is a dead battery. If it won't hold a charge and you cant borrow one, are you going to buy a new battery for a car you dont own?

(I suppose one of those pocket power pack things might be a contemprary solution to this dilemma, though I've no experience with them)

Personally I'd probably buy or not based on my own inspection, and then hopefully sort out an MOT later after some fettling, but a pre-purchase MOT would be nice to have if you can swing it.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/03/2020 at 02:48

All that said, I should confess that a 20 year old car is likely to be outside my personal comfort zone.

It'll have an exhaust catalyst, ABS, maybe central locking and airbags, all things I've managed to avoid so far.

Its too modern to be in the sweet spot.

However, newer stuff in general will be still worse, and I'd think to get significantly simpler, you'd have to be shopping for a classic, at considerable coin, so its perhaps a reasonable compromise.

People with better knowledge of the current UK car scene will be able to confirm or deny this.

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - Andrew-T

An almost 20-year-old car could be brilliant or a complete waste of money - tho at £150 you won't have lost much :-) It will be all about condition, which really means a good look underneath. A pre-booked MoT test will do that, but having a good road test at the same time would answer more questions. If you like doing up an oldish car and it passes this exam, go for it. The seller should get the car tested. If it fails, then is the time to negotiate.

It could have a set of clapped-out tyres for example, and will probably need a proper service. But you have to decide whether it is worth reviving. Good luck.

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/02/2020 at 18:11

Thank you, if I decide to go for it I think I will need it, for me it is a learning tool the idea being that it is old enough to be mechanical and not computerised, and if I can learn to do it up then I can also learn to keep it on the road without using garages.

https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/get-check-mot

I used this to check the mot history, and the only reason it is neither taxed or mot is that the owner lives abroad mostly and does not use it.

Thank you, if I decide to go for it I think I will need it, for me it is a learning tool the idea being that it is old enough to be mechanical and not computerised, and if I can learn to do it up then I can also learn to keep it on the road without using garages.

I used this to check the mot history, and the only reason it is neither taxed or mot is that the owner lives abroad mostly and does not use it.

If the car has sat idle (presumably SORNed and hopefully under cover) since passing its last MoT, it ought to pass a new one to get back on the road. If you were to agree to cover the seller's cost of a fresh test, you would be able to drive the car away - after tax and insurance of course :-) A running car in decent nick for £200 - that's bangernomics at work.

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - SLO76
It’s worth scrap value, £30 no more. It might be viable but without a good look over on a ramp or an Mot test you’ll never know, equally it could be a total rot bucket and thus the reason for selling with no Mot.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/02/2020 at 23:32

It’s worth scrap value, £30 no more. It might be viable but without a good look over on a ramp or an Mot test you’ll never know, equally it could be a total rot bucket and thus the reason for selling with no Mot.

That's the market, but scrap value, pretty much by definition, is exclusively determined by the trade.

This is a private sale, so the price gets a bit more personal.

I'd think its seldom possible, pretty much by definition, to buy a car that's worth nothing, for what its worth.

If the seller wanted to sell it for scrap they'd scrap it and save themselves some agro, so I'd bet money you aren't getting it for scrap price.

I paid the equivalent of about 300 quid (15 thousand NT, now about 400 quid thanks to the Brexit Bonanza) for my Skywing about 8 years ago. Since I was quite probably the only person in Taiwan who would have bought it, it was also worth scrap, but I couldn't get the seller to go lower and was embarrassing myself trying.

I beat myself up about that for a while, but I dont any more.The cars still going, and its still worth scrap value.

This sounds like an opportunity, with rather little to lose and potentially much to gain. You should check it out, and not worry too much about market value.

The Market is A Mor0n.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/03/2020 at 02:13

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - gordonbennet

Check it starts and drives, check the clutch isn't shot by trying to pull away strongly in third gear with the parking brake on, the engine should stall out.

Check underbody, check the oil and coolant for cross contamination, you'll need a short test drive to check the gearbox works ok, whether you dare risk that around the block where the vehicle is currently parked is up to you, but if these things check out there's no reason at all this little car shouldn't give a few more years service yet.

Unless someone has been starting it regularly the battery will most likely be no good now, i'd get one from a scrappy for a tenner for now and only invest in a good one if the car passes and drives well.

I agree, you won't be getting this for £30, if the seller wanted to break it he'd probably make over £500 in parts alone and still get £20 for the shell and remaining items, which you too could do if the MOT test throws up terminal rot.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/03/2020 at 08:17

The car is on private land where the public do not ordinarily have access so no need for insurance until I actually take it off land and onto public road. This is partly why I was thinking about it, because I can jack it up and do it in my own time.

It has not be sorn off road but that is something I will have to look into further because I do not want to get into trouble for it not being taxed for the last 18 mths.

If I ask him to put it in for an mot check I doubt he will accept 50 quid for it, and I accept it is a gamble, especially for me with so little mechanical knowledge, they do a basic mechanics course at college which if I do this car I will have to look into.

The guy said his parents can come to the car and see if they can jump start it, he did mention the brakes will have to be given a good knock as they have not been used since it has been parked,

I am really not into scrapping the car if I do this it will be to run the car until it can no longer be fixed, or part exchange if I get some money behind me, as some adverts claim to give a minimum of £ 1'000 part exchange for a vehicle in any condition. ( I do not know if these claims are real or not )

THANK YOU for your input so far, it is all helping.

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - galileo

I ran old cars for over 30 years, replacing brakes, clutches, cylinder heads and crankshafts, I would recommend you obtain the right Haynes manual for the Yaris, by all means take the mechanics course but that will be general and the Haynes manual will give details specific to the car you work on.

The owner is asking 150 quid for it, but that is negotiable.

Is £ 150 quid a fair price ?

There are only a few scratches on the body work, and cannot see anything obviously wrong with the look of it. It has pretty good mileage for the year.

We haven't been told yet the mileage on the car, nor how many owners there have been. It is a good sign if the seller has owned it for several years.

At a price point of £150 there is hardly any point negotiating as that amount will probably be much less than the cost of reinstatement, and haggling about the cost of half a tank of fuel is a bit embarrassing. How much you put into it depends on whether you just want a cheap runabout, or to restore it to 'showroom condition'. If that looks a possibility I would snap it up.

At a price point of £150 there is hardly any point negotiating as that amount will probably be much less than the cost of reinstatement, and haggling about the cost of half a tank of fuel is a bit embarrassing.

That'd be my feeling, though I'm not much of a negotiator anyway, and have lost some apparently very good deals (including a Mini Marcos, SHOOT ME) by price dickering .

If you feel obliged, if, on your own inspection it looks OK, you could maybe try 100 quid as seen.

If you fiddle around getting an MOT and it doesn't fail horribly then full asking price (assuming that doesn't go up) would probably be indicated.

This assumes the paperwork is OK, There's that SORN thing to check out...

Edited by edlithgow on 01/03/2020 at 21:53

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - thunderbird

There's that SORN thing to check out..

How could the OP possibly get into grief with the DVLA because the seller had not declared SORN. They will have a bill of sale that shows the date the car came into their ownership and any fines accumalated prior to that will be the responsibility of the seller.

With regards to SORN when it was first introduced it had to be declared annually but some years ago it was changed such that it was a once only declaration. Possibly the OP and the seller do not appreciate this, if it been declared once nothing more to do until its scrapepd or sold.Then as I understand it the buyer needs to declare SORN unless they are taxing the car. Unlikely in this case since the car is a project not currently MOT'd.

Toyota Yaris - Y reg getting back on the road ? - madf

I have a 2003 Yaris. And my son had a 2001 one.

Beware of:

Rust in the petrol filler pipe (filler cap to tank) under the wheelarch. Smell of petrol, very dangerous and parts are £100plus...Known issue .

RUST in the rear sills where they meet the rear wheelarch.. both in the wheelarch section and the vertical sill where it attaches to the floor..It is a KNOWN weakness.

Rust everywhere round rear crossmember of suspension.

Timing chains wear with poor maintenance. Rattling on start up. £200 parts PLUS a real PIA of a job . You need a breaker bar/air tool for the crankshaft nut..

The catalyst and sneors are prone to fail with age. £100 -£150 for a non Toyota cat + sensors are not cheap.

Front anti roll bar drop link bushes.. a MOT fail £20 a side for Genuine parts (cheapo parts do not last)

Radiators corrode through - check for missing fins £100 for pattern part.

The exhaust sytem rusts around teh rear wheel arch. front catalyst etc. £150 plus..

Front and rear suspension arm bushes will be bulging and if worn MOT fail.. crowbar to test job...

These are tough cars but neglect and 20 years wreak havoc...

You need to go into these with eyes wide open. If not knwledgeable about cars find someone who is..

A well maintained one will not have most of teh above faults.. A neglected one could have them all.

Unless well looked after, I would run away..

(I am at present in the course of stripping surface rust around rear verticla inside sills and repainting... our 2003 one which has been garged and loved (!!) all its life)

Edited by madf on 02/03/2020 at 13:52