Any - 'Used Approved' - joegrundy

When I bought a three year old used car last month - after much research - there's no doubt that I was heavily influenced by the 'Used Approved' classification.Pay more but have peace of mind. Not only by recommendations here, but also by their advertising, eg:

"With The xxx Approved Used Car Promise, you can be sure that whatever car you drive away in, it has been checked, checked and checked again to meet the high standards xxx demands from all of its vehicles.

Not only can we provide a huge range of great quality vehicles to choose from, our experience ensures you will receive an excellent service through every step of your car-buying journey, and beyond. So, the only question you need to ask is "Which car do I want?”

The Approved Used warranty is excellent, giving UK and European breakdown cover and next MOT warranty and also ensuring (I assumed) full MSH.

Unfortunately the car itself is not so good and I am rejecting it because of bodywork corrosion (a shame, because I really rate these cars).

Which led me to wonder how 'Approved Used' cars are selected. AFAIK, the manufacturer has no 'quality assurance' programme.

I assume what happens is that provided the car is within age and mileage limits the dealer can pay for a 'Used Approved' warranty and market the car as such (for an increased price, naturally) and that the people who 'check, check and check again' is in fact the dealer.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Any - 'Used Approved' - craig-pd130

My lad bought an approved used BMW in August last year. The previous owner was an 'executive cars' hire company which only keeps its cars for a year. His previous car was a Network Q Corsa, which was a 'staff car' owned by the Vx dealer themselves.

I'd suspect that many cars in approved used schemes are ex-demo / lease / contract hire cars that can be scrubbed up to nearly-new condition with low mileage and a factory service record.

But certainly some rogue cars do slip through the net, as you've experienced. What car was it, out of interest? 3 years is early for corrosion these days, usually you'd only get visible corrosion if the car has had a poorly-executed repair.

Yes, as a replacement I'm considering some 'special deal' Kia Ceeds which are 1 year old ex-lease/rental cars with abot 12k miles, a good finance deal and a new 7 year warranty.

My car is a Suzuki Baleno 1.0 sz-t boosterjet. I have to say that it;s excellent (apart from the problem) - feisty to drive, economical, good interior room, etc. - which makes my experience all the more disappointing.

The corrosion is on the leading edge of the roof just above the windscreen. The bodyshop I took it to tell me it's either a stonechip left untreated (although it does show signs of having been touched in with the wrong shade red) or the car's had a replacement windscreen and they damaged the paint while replacing it. In either case, they said that proper remedy is to take the windscreen out and treat the area, then respray the roof (no creases etc. to blend in to). The local very helpful Suzuki main dealer was of the same opinion.

What passes me off particularly is that Suzuki Finance issue a 'Good Condition Guide' which covers what is, and what is not, 'acceptable wear and tear' when returning a car bought on PCP. According to that, the car was in an unacceptable condition as soon as I bought it.

This was not the experience I was looking for when I spent £7k.

"But certainly some rogue cars do slip through the net"

That's the basis of my question, really. What is 'the net'?

If manufacturers/brands have no input into what's 'Approved' how much reliance should we place on that designation?

Any - 'Used Approved' - daveyjp

All 'approved' means is the selling dealership is fully aware of its history. I.e. it was originally sold through the main dealership network and has been serviced fully in line with what they need to warrant it. Other than that it means very little.

Years ago a family member bought a "fully approved" Network Q Vauxhall. After a few days its started running like a dog. A quick check revealed the air filter had never been changed, yet the car was sold as having had hundreds of checks and a full service prior to handover.

That's a bit depressing.

So basically it's always 'caveat emptor' and pay no attention to the sales guff, not necessarily any benefit in buying from a main dealer, etc. Wild west rules apply.

Any - 'Used Approved' - madf

in 1999 I bought an Audi approved used A4 tdi .

Two year waranty

In the next two years, the front suspension was rebuilt, the air conditing condenser was repalced, etc etc.. All under warranty.

Then cambelt tenioer - juts out of warranty (my cost)

Great service: but absolute carp car. Sold it when warranty expired..(my wife loved it)

Motto:

ignore the sale bull excrement. Check Very carefully.

Any - 'Used Approved' - SLO76
“ If manufacturers/brands have no input into what's 'Approved' how much reliance should we place on that designation?”

They certainly used to, with dealers having to abide by strict conduct regarding approved used stock. I worked for a Mitsubishi dealer and cars had to meet high standards and be below a certain age and mileage.

From experience when I’m asked to view cars for people it’s the best source of good cars but it’s not 100% with many cars with poor paint repairs slipping through in the name of gaining a higher sale price than they deserve. Don’t ever buy without viewing and pay particular attention to the bodywork as most cars are taken on never-ending lease or PCP which means the last keeper likely never owned it or cared for it the same as people who own outright typically (but not always) do.
Any - 'Used Approved' - thunderbird

All 'approved' means is the selling dealership is fully aware of its history. I.e. it was originally sold through the main dealership network and has been serviced fully in line with what they need to warrant it.

So based on that most any used car under 12 months old with less than 10,000 (or 20,000 in many cases) could be considered approved even though its never had a service.

Also consider what happens to those cars that are faulty and rejected. Without a shadow of doubt those cars go back on a forecourt somewhere and under the above rules could be legitimately considered "approved".

Sound like a scam to me that makes Joe public think they are getting a better car and probably paying more for it.

You might as well go to a supermarket and pay less.

Any - 'Used Approved' - SLO76
“ You might as well go to a supermarket and pay less”

The majority of younger used stock that appears at these sites has been rejected by main dealers for some reason. Might be paintwork or missing history but yes some good ones do slip through. If a Mitsubishi or Proton we took in wasn’t 100% it either went to another non-franchise site to be sold as a general used car or it went for auction. Both firms frequently sent representatives to our sites and an eye was always cast at the standard of approved used stock we carried, this is unlikely to have changed.

Approved used often but not always means the car has came back in against another of the same brand which tells a story about how happy the last owner was. It’ll have a manufacturer backed warranty usually of 12mths too which will be vastly superior to the largely useless aftermarket equivalents you’d get elsewhere that have low claims limits and tonnes of exclusions.

Don’t use one bad example to tar all others. I’ve been viewing cars for people for years and the bulk of approved used stock is good.

Thanks, SLO.

This was my first venture into PCP, which suits my needs for the moment.

To replace the Baleno (sadly no longer sold) I;ve been looking at the following at a deposit of 1500 and payments of 160 per month:

1. Ceed special deal 1.0 2, 12 months old, 12k miles, 7 year warranty

2. (new) Fabia 1.0 110 tsi, 1250 off + 0% apr

3. (new) Duster 1.0 tce100 essential.

All would be suitable for my needs. The Kia probably the nicest car, the Skoda very nice but limited room, the Dacia best for rural SW Wales roads.

I'm a bit put off going for another 'used approved' tbh.

Any - 'Used Approved' - Old.Roverboy

This time, and unusually for me, I am going for New.

But there again the massive discount helps. (21.9%) £4600 off.

2 years free servicing included and 2 years full uk and EU breakdown cover as well.

And it s a Kia, so warranty should not be an issue

2. (new) Fabia 1.0 110 tsi, 1250 off + 0% apr

Nice to see Skoda have reintroduced the 110PS engine in the range. When we bought our 18 month old one at the end of November the salesman told us (confirmed by the pricelist current at the time) that the 110PS engine had been deleted form the Fabia to encourage buyers to get the Scala or Kamiq if they desired that engine.

But that seems to be a very stingy discount, looking at the Broadspeed.com site (reputable broker - you pay the dealer direct) they have the SE 110 PS up for £12951 and having spoken to them in the past any manufacturer backed PCP is still available on their prices. At the end of the day I did not use their services simply because our local dealer matched their price instead of seeing me walk. It was a complicated deal that included free servicing and a text drive bonus but what mattered was the £££££'s required and not how he decided to calculate the price.

We drove the 95 PS and the 110 PS is definitely worth the bit extra. The extra gear is nice especially on motorways but with the closer gearing it makes 5th more usable on A roads, its not just an extra gear stuck on the end. The extra go with the 100 PS is everywhere but the figures do suggest the 95 is better below 2000 rpm but in reality who drives with those few revs.

the Skoda very nice but limited room,

Limited compared to what? For a small hatch its very good, dimension wise its the same size as a Golf from the early 90's and that was considered a family car at the time. In the rear with the drivers seat in my normal position (5'9") I can sit behind me without my knees touching the seat back (my qualification for acceptable) and getting in and out is easy. Getting 3 adults side by side would be cosy but I guess possible.

The boot is particularly generous for a small car. Ours came with a full size spare which fits under the boot floor without affecting space, how many cars (small or large) manage that trick these days?

If you want more space Broadspeed have the much bigger Scala 115 PS TSi SE listed at £15060, a Golf for peanuts.

Any - 'Used Approved' - pete2000

I purchased a used approved recently when I was recommended a car by the helpful people here. It was a Honda and pretty old, but the dealer had a full idea about it as it was from them, and serviced by them etc, and was in pretty good condition (bar some standard looking scratches).

One reason I did go for approved used for me, was the mathematics of it.

After negotiating the car was around 6k, and had 1 year breakdown and 1 year warranty from Honda.

The car has just had a service too as part of buying it.

So if I was looking at the maths of it, any reasonable warranty plus breakdown cover on such a vehicle is 250-400. A dealer service plus MOT is probably 200+ or so. 2 New tyres probably 80 or more. etc.

Add to that the full dealer service history which probably helps residual value, then I'm looking at 500 quid of value at a minimum.

If I purchased privately the car may well be £600 cheaper with zero warranty plus a little higher risk.

Ultimately it worked out the same in my head with added security. If I would never dream of getting a warranty and simply have the know-how and a mechanic I trust then obviously it'd be different but my stress and anxiety levels have a value too

Was the car perfect? Not really, there were a couple of issues. There were multiple owners (albeit 2 owner changes in the first year then 2 owners in the subsequent 6 years) which was not the impression I was given (I found out when the V5c came because Im an idiot). although 2 owners in past 6 years isn't so bad.

There were a couple of light scratches around the doors which were tough to see in the rain but I can live with that.

The windscreen have something that is affecting visibility which I posted about in another thread.

They want to put it right though and will iron out everything and give me a courtesy car so that's something.

So essentially, approved used for me reduced my anxiety levels for an old car, and I've avoided paying for things that I'd have paid for anyway (tires and a fresh service and valeting). It didn't mean I got a perfect car though. I'd probably still stick with this route as an anxious buyer on such items.

Any - 'Used Approved' - Old.Roverboy

Out of the 3 I would vote for the ceed.

Any - 'Used Approved' - Avant

It depends what you need from a car, Joe.

If you don't want 'approved used' then that knocks out the year-old Kia Ceed. I haven't tried a recent Ceed but road tests say they're a bit sluggish. That may not be a problem for you, but if it is, the Fabia 110bhp is very lively and altogether impressive.

My elder daughter has been looking a size smaller than you, to replace a five-year-old Hyundai i10 - but we've settled on a Fabia which she liked much better than the new i10 or the Yaris, the others on her shortlist.

If the Fabia is too small, Skoda can offer the Fabia estate and also the Scala or the Kamiq. The Kamiq is a new model but there should be good deals on the first two of those.

If the Fabia is too small, Skoda can offer the Fabia estate and also the Scala

The Fabia estate's only advantage is its much bigger boot, passenger space is identical, its still quite narrow.

The Scala is bigger all round than the Fabia but the boot is smaller than the Fabia estate.

IMHO the choice between the 3 would be dictated by your needs, based on my short experience with the Fabia hatch all will be fine cars.

We bought the Fabia hatch after almost 12 years with a Focus hatch. Interior space is little different as is boot space. We went to the Skoda showroom to view the Scala and quickly realised that the Fabia hatch lost us little over the Focus except in the width of the interior which for us was not an issue.