Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - andyowenwest

Hello - First time poster here!

In the near future Im looking at upgrading my current seat ibiza (1.2 petrol) for a peugeot partner or citroen berlingo to use as a daily driver, occasional campervan and all round workhorse

My budget is fairly tight at a max of around £8k

Ideal specs are < 50k miles, newer than 2010

For around 6-8k Ive found a lot of 2011 - 2014 - 1.6 HDI diesel models with road tax around £145

Compared to this around 8-10k I can get 2016 - 2019 blueHDI models with £30 and lower road tax

My question is: How likely is it that that standard HDI models will increase from £145 a yr tax (given the imminent rise of EV cars, restrictions on diesel / petrol etc). Is it work saving 2k on the car price and paying higher tax or paying more for the car but get a lower rate?

Should I be worried about a sudden increase in tax?

For context Im in the UK - Devon

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - badbusdriver

TBH, i'd be more concerned with the 1.6 diesel's somewhat less than steller reputation for reliability!. They certainly can be reliable, but in order for that to be the case, they need to have been serviced more frequently than the manufacturers recommended intervals, and, it is critical that the correct oil is used. So unless you can find a car with meticulous service history where this can be proved to have been the case, i think i'd be a bit wary of buying one.

Edited by badbusdriver on 12/02/2020 at 15:58

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - andyowenwest

So Ive been having a dig around about this, seems issues are mostly related to the turbo killing itself if the wrong oil is used or oil is vacuumed during a change. Is this an issue with all years of the engine, even the new blueHDI models?

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - SLO76
Prioritise condition and history over anything else. It’ll take over 15yrs to repay that saving in road tax so it’s largely irrelevant. These don’t have the best reputation for reliability, don’t get them confused with the simple but hardy first gen Berlingo and don’t buy if you’re not doing a regular long distance run to allow the DPF to regen.
Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - badbusdriver

So Ive been having a dig around about this, seems issues are mostly related to the turbo killing itself if the wrong oil is used or oil is vacuumed during a change. Is this an issue with all years of the engine, even the new blueHDI models?

Honestly, i'm not too sure which specific engines are affected. And looking online (as i'm sure you have found) gets you contradictory information.

I was in the position a couple of years ago of having to buy a small van for my work and did some digging myself re the Berlingo/Partner, and while, as i said, they certainly can be reliable for the reasons i mentioned, i decided it just wasn't worth the risk. I ended up going for a VW Caddy 2.0SDI (non turbo) as apart from the DMF, there isn't really anything to go wrong. Of course i was on a smaller budget and therefore looking at older vans, but in terms of maximum likelyhood of reliability (more or less) my choices were, an older Vauxhall Combo with the Isuzu 1.7 diesel, an older Berlingo/Partner with either the 1.9 non turbo or 2.0HDI, or the Caddy with either the 2.0 (turbo or non turbo) or the older 1.9TDI.

Dpending on the miles you are going to be doing, might be worth considering a grey import Japanese MPV?. Something like a Honda Stepwagon or a Toyota Noah or Voxy. This would have a 2.0 petrol (automatic most likely), but are very well equipped, a good shape for making a camper/day van type thing, and they are very narrow which could be handy on Devonshire lanes?!.

Alternatively, for something closer (to the Berlingo/Partner you are thinking about) maybe a Nissan NV200?. This shares its (by most accounts, very reliable) 1.5 diesel engine with the Renault Kangoo, but misses out on wonky French electrics.

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - daveyK_UK
You might get one with the 1.2 petrol engine for that kind of money, fantastic engine to drive and pulls the partner/berlingo along with ease
Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - ChromeMolly

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just wanted to add something to the thread. I have looked into the Partner / Berlingo options for me and reliability on the 1.6HDI engine seems to be first class. The older ones, pre 2012 IIRC, had an issue with the oil supply to the turbo, but that is now not an issue, as long as regular oil changes are done. This engine is fitted in a number of different manufacturers cars, from Volvo to Ford.

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - Bromptonaut

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just wanted to add something to the thread. I have looked into the Partner / Berlingo options for me and reliability on the 1.6HDI engine seems to be first class. The older ones, pre 2012 IIRC, had an issue with the oil supply to the turbo, but that is now not an issue, as long as regular oil changes are done. This engine is fitted in a number of different manufacturers cars, from Volvo to Ford.

As I've mentioned on here before we're the entirely contented owners of a 2013 1.6/115 HDi Berlingo Multispace. Owned from new so now seven years old and just passed 100k miles. It's been serviced by a Citroen dealer (not always the same one) at the prescribed intervals. Initially these were on mileage but since the OH packed in supply teaching and the 'kids' moved on from Uni it's been annual.

It's had three out of course visits for work. The joystick for the electric mirrors snapped, N/S rear brake calliper stuck and the Eolys fluid for the DPF needed replenishing at around 90k.

Somebody here or in another forum suggested the real problem engine with lubrication to the turbo failing was the HDi 1.6 with 16valves; early models I think. The 8 valve is much better

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - Auristocrat

Government have carried out a consultation exercise this year on VED and WLTP., so there will probably be some changes.

Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner - Future-proof road tax uk - Bromptonaut

Government have carried out a consultation exercise this year on VED and WLTP., so there will probably be some changes.

The amounts of VED and the way they're calculated have changed multiple times in the nigh on 40 years I've owned cars. Change, or lack of it, isn't something you can rely on. However, on the whole the charging basis under superceded systems (like that from the nineties based on engine capacity) has not been interfered with. On that basis I'd judge the chances of a punitive rate on the Berlingo mentioned above as being small enough to ignore.

Even if it was doubled the impact on annual running costs would be minimal.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/09/2020 at 14:38