If you could choose one foot operated device... - Bilboman

Now that we're heading inexorably towards a world of automatic hybrid/electric propulsion and within a few years manual gearboxes will be a distant memory...
Without wanting to get into the left-foot braking debate, if you could choose one foot-operated car gadget to give the soon-to-be idle left foot something to do, what would it be?
A 70s Ford wash/wipe? A dipswitch? Maybe a blood curdling get-out-of-the-way horn? A harpoon, perhaps?
My reason for asking is that there are so many bamboozling multifunction touchscreens around nowadays that it may be time to look at alternative locations for commonly needed controls, and a foot control can be just as good as a hand, as any church organist will confirm.

If you could choose one foot operated device... - gordonbennet

Well for many years trucks had a foot switch to operate the exhaust brake, that might be an ideal for cars, a small switch that regenerates and stores deceleration forces (battery recharging or some other form of storing this wasted energy temporarily to accelerate again) without involving touching the brakes.

With proper use of or programming of gearbox with effective auxilliary braking one can travel many miles without ever touching the brakes themselves, this type of driving leads to low fuel consumption and really low use of brake friction materials and less tyre wear, all environmentally good, and its driver controlled and no matter how clever the 'puters they can't see and plan ahead like a competent driver can.

These foot switches on lorries are now yet another steering column switch, as if there arn't enough already, there was nothing wrong with the floor switch which could always be accessed by the left foot, so continuing to assist footbraking if needed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/02/2020 at 13:29

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Engineer Andy

Passenger ejector seat. Jus' kiddin'. As long as I have a footrest for my left foot (I won't buy a car without a decent one), I'm fine.

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Bromptonaut

I can remember foot operated dipswitches. My Mother's first Mini, 1966, had one. Washers too where the foot actually operated a pump, not just a switch for electric washers. Must be 40+ years since mainstream cars moved dip to a multi function stork. Horns have gone back though from stalk to their traditional home on steering wheel boss.

We managed perfectly well for years with Heating and Ventilation controlled from knobs or sliders on the dash. They were always there and, unless/until bulbs failed they were illuminated and easy to find, including at night. Even if bulbs did go the controls were tactile enough to find by feel.

Simply no need to incorporate something like demisting, which can be safety critical, into a touchscreen menu.

I can live with the Skoda where radio/audio is a touchscreen, it can be configured with large 'buttons' for presets and volume works either from rotary control like they always did or from remote on the steering wheel.

Cannot think anything that would be improved by moving it so it needed a foot to work it.

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Andrew-T

I can remember foot operated dipswitches. My Mother's first Mini, 1966, had one. Washers too where the foot actually operated a pump, not just a switch for electric washers. Must be 40+ years since mainstream cars moved dip to a multi function stork. Horns have gone back though from stalk to their traditional home on steering wheel boss.

My 1962 Morris 1100 had a foot dipswitch. But a multi-function stork - I like that .... :-)

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Terry W

There won't even be screens to prod at whilst trying to pay attention to the road in the future.

It will all be voice activated - a bit like Alexa or Siri - and the real big problem will be what to call your in-car digital voice driven assistant - Delilah, Delores, Doris, Debbie, .............

If you could choose one foot operated device... - edlithgow

There won't even be screens to prod at whilst trying to pay attention to the road in the future.

It will all be voice activated - a bit like Alexa or Siri - and the real big problem will be what to call your in-car digital voice driven assistant - Delilah, Delores, Doris, Debbie, .............

Using GF's old iPhone at present. I call Siri by the initials for the Foreign Office when it pops up unbidden.. It "wont respond to that", which is fine by me.

Foot operated function...hm...maybe a brake cooling water spray for mountain descents, driven from my multi-function enema syringe, also use for brake bleeding, radiator pressure testing, and I assume potentially also for enemas, though not all at the same time.

I've heard of a switch that temporarily cuts the ignition and energises a spark plug at the tail pipe, producing an impressive flame on a presumably non-cat system.

Might get tailgaters to back off a bit.

I suppose you'd have to shift into neutral first on a manual car (so maybe foot-operation doesn't fit there) but an auto might be OK

Edited by edlithgow on 11/02/2020 at 11:43

If you could choose one foot operated device... - bathtub tom
I've heard of a switch that temporarily cuts the ignition and energises a spark plug at the tail pipe, producing an impressive flame on a presumably non-cat system.

Don't need an additional spark plug on a car with a carb. Just cut the ignition and on switching it back on again the fuel in the exhaust will ignite with a healthy bang. May be a little muffled at first until all the carbon's loosened up. May also destroy an older exhaust.

Tends not to work on fuel injected cars as modern ones have an accelerator switch that cuts fuelling when the pedal's released (also cuts fuelling on full throttle when the starter's operated to clear flooding). Some 'performance' cars with a 'sports' button can tend to pop and bang on the overrun. I guess this is done more for show than any other reason.

Don't need an additional spark plug on a car with a carb. Just cut the ignition and on switching it back on again the fuel in the exhaust will ignite with a healthy bang. May be a little muffled at first until all the carbon's loosened up. May also destroy an older exhaust.

Tends not to work on fuel injected cars as modern ones have an accelerator switch that cuts fuelling when the pedal's released (also cuts fuelling on full throttle when the starter's operated to clear flooding). Some 'performance' cars with a 'sports' button can tend to pop and bang on the overrun. I guess this is done more for show than any other reason.

Well, that sounds like the difference between an internal exhaust explosion and an external flame. Latter sound potentially less destructive and more impressive.

I'd think this was on a carbed car, (which is what I have) but I'd also think it could be achieved with a fuel injected system, but not so sure it could easily be achieved without damaging a catalyst.

I'd think this was on a carbed car, (which is what I have) but I'd also think it could be achieved with a fuel injected system, but not so sure it could easily be achieved without damaging a catalyst.

I've seen propane gas injected into the back end of an exhaust system which is then ignited with a spark plug. Wouldn't have thought there's enough oxygen around for it to burn.

I've seen propane gas injected into the back end of an exhaust system which is then ignited with a spark plug. Wouldn't have thought there's enough oxygen around for it to burn.

Well, if you've seen it, there must be.

There'll be effectively unlimited atmospheric oxygen when the petrol vapour or propane exits the pipe, so that should work OK.

If you cut the ignition the engine is effectively pumping air, so there will be a slug of combustible stuff travelling down the pipe.

Its suggested above that that will be ignited without a spark plug (presumably by contact with hot exhaust gases) when the engine restarts. Dunno, doesn't sound reliable or desirablle, and I'd expect it to get snuffed out as the low oxygen gases move down the pipe.

IIRC free oxygen is about 5% in petrol engine exhaust. Its a lot higher in diesel exhaust, but it would be difficult to cut ignition while maintaining fuel unless you had an alternative/supplementary fuel supply.

Perhaps an enhancement to dpf regeneration?

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Engineer Andy

My 1962 Morris 1100 had a foot dipswitch. But a multi-function stork - I like that .... :-)

Delivers kids on the side! Your left foot certainly got a lot of use back in the day, and to multi-task as well! I'm glad I didn't have to do that (just the clutch for me).

My MK3 Cortina had a foot operated ring surrounding a bulb for the wiper/washer. I guess the dip-switch had moved to the column. Wouldn't like to say which was more useful down there.

If you could choose one foot operated device... - concrete

I would choose a size twelve hiking boot. Specifically for the rear ends of pompous politicians when they speak d*****, or just when they speak usually!!!

Cheers Concrete

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Avant

Best answer yet, Concrete!

I don't think that feet are as good at multi-tasking as hands. What your feet do in a car is governed largely by instinct, so the fewer different things that they have to do the better.

I learned to drive on my mum's Morris 1100 in the 1960s and my first cars were an Austin A50 and an MG 1100, all with a foot dipswitch - capable of being mistaken for the clutch by learners so generally I was glad to see the back of it.

If you could choose one foot operated device... - HGV ~ P Valentine

I like the ejector pedal for annoying passengers.

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

A dip switch definitely. After 50 years of motoring.

Coming over a tight bendy crest and needing to go to main or dip fast, I'd rather not let go of the steering wheel .

If you could choose one foot operated device... - dan86

A dip switch definitely. After 50 years of motoring.

Coming over a tight bendy crest and needing to go to main or dip fast, I'd rather not let go of the steering wheel .

I've never had to let got of the steering wheel to put my main beams or go back to dip beams.just extended my fingers slightly

If you could choose one foot operated device... - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Delayed double post.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 16/02/2020 at 11:17