Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - Jamie1976uk

Hi all. Im looking to get an estate car, and i like my fords so I'm thinking focus or mondeo.T he bigger the boot the better. Looking at the specs on autotrader, it says that that the latest focus estate has a bigger boot (575 litres) than the mondeo (525 litres). Also according to autotrader, the mondeo hatchback has a slightly bigger boot than the estate(541 litres). Does anyone know if these stats are correct? Or can anyone that's had these cars can advise on which is the better option ?

Thanks

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - thunderbird

Personally I never believe what manufacturers publish and the motoring press are just as bad. Some manufacturers quote the bootspace to the roof in an estate whereas they always quote to the luggage cover in a hatch making it impossible to compare the figures. Others include the wheelwell under the floor which is unavailable if you have a spare. We recently looked at the new Focus and the posh versions of the hatch have boom boxes in the boot that reduce the bootspace by more than 100 litres reducing it to a pointless 300 litres for a family car. (And what use is a boombox with luggage piled on top of it, must really improve sound quality, nice one Ford)

Your best solution is to visit local garages where they have suitable cars and armed with a 3m tape take some measurements and use these to compare the cars.

Mr Stanley does not lie.

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - badbusdriver

Well if you are dead set on a Ford, surely all you need to do is go and have a look at the estate versions of each to see which one you feel fits your space requirements best. Given how common Ford dealers are, surely this shouldn't pose too much of an obstacle?.

If, however, you need as big a boot as possible, the undoubted king would be the Skoda Superb which is also (arguably), a better car anyway.

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - Jamie1976uk

None of the dealers near me have either a new shape focus estate or mondeo in. The nearest focus is a 2 hour drive each way and the nearest mondeo further than that. so willneed to spend a full day just to look in the boot of 2 cars. I fancy a vignale when i decide which one to go for, which seem to be rare as rocking horse poop

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Might be best to buy a car from a nearby dealer. Especially if you are focusing.,pun, on a specific model.ie Don't buy from a long distance away.

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - badbusdriver

Re the boot capacity, after downloading the relevent brochures, it seems that the info you have found on Autotrader for the Mondeo is some way off what Ford say:

www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/broc...f

www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/broc...f

According to this, the Mondeo hatch has a minimum of 645 litres and the estate has a minimum of 730 litres (BTW, that does actually exceed the capacity of the Superb). The Focus estate has a minimum of 541 litres (with B&O), or 575 litres otherwise

Re having a look, remember, you don't need to buy it, you just want to look at one. What i mean is, yes, you want to buy from a dealer, but if you see one at an independent garage, or even privately, go and have a look, then make your excuses and leave!.

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - SLO76
I get the appeal of either, they’re both very practical and enjoyable to drive but Ford in recent years has been very hit and miss regarding longterm reliability. You need to choose the right combination to be sure.

Don’t touch anything fitted with the unrealisable Powershift gearbox, I’d avoid the 1.0 Ecoboost which also has a poor reputation and if it must be a diesel I’d go for the 2.0 or possibly the 1.5 which to date is proving reliable. The Yamaha designed 1.6 Ecoboost petrol is good ditto the Mazda 2.0 Ecoboost.

I think the Mondeo estate makes for a great used buy especially in 2.0 diesel form with a manual box. I also rate the Honda Civic and Toyota Auris estates. Both of which will outlast any current Ford.
Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - S40 Man

I think the Mondeo estate makes for a great used buy especially in 2.0 diesel form with a manual box. I also rate the Honda Civic and Toyota Auris estates. Both of which will outlast any current Ford...

SLO is right. Mondeo 2.0TDCI is a great car. I had an 08 one for ages. Tool in from 100k to over 230k. It was reliable despite high mileage and great to drive for a big car.

If you are even considering Focus, Mondeo will be fine. The estate bit is massive. When I worked late shift I used to kip in the boot at lunchtime before work.

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - Heidfirst

T he bigger the boot the better.

Not had either of those as estates (but have as hatches), however, what I can say from many years of running estates is don't just look at the theoretical figures but look at the utility of the space compared to what you want it for (e.g. the Toyota Auris estate has a theoretically larger load space volume with seats down than an Avensis estate but imo the Avensis has the better load space in the real world). Look at max. load length, width between arches & also tailgate entrance width, is there a lip & is the load space truly flat with the back seats down or do the seat backs sit at a slight angle or is there a ridge for the hinge. Also, look at how the seat backs fold (50:50, 60:40, 40:20:40 etc.) & whether the base flips up to protect the back of the front seats.

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - daveyK_UK
How much are you looking to spend?

Current Ford Focus estate is a fantastic car, proper rear leg room. 100 times better than the previous version.
Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - madf

I don't know if you want boot space for seomething specific..

I always start and look at the boot lip when loading: a big lip is hard work when unloading.

Then I look at the floor - is it flat when rear seats are folded..(can they fold?)

Then I look at boot entry height and width. There are somethings I carry which can be quite high and cannot be turned on their sides (hives full of bees).

Then I look at the internal boot measurements

and so on...

Takes a while but it stops the "I wish I had" after I have bought,

Ford focus/mondeo - Focus/mondeo estate boot space. - Avant

Indeed - a primary rule of car buying is to think 'what do I need the car to do?' In my case, as well as being enjoyable to drive, my car needs to have a flat, or near-flat, floor in the back wit the seats down, so that I can push my full-size music keyboard in without there being a 'step'.

My Q2 passes the test easily, and I should think that both Fords mentioned would do so too - the Mondeo simply being bigger than the Focus. The Kuga would also be worth a look: a new model is imminent so there should be good deals on the current one.