Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - dazzabeezer

Sorry a few questions here!

After much deliberation and a few test drives, ans some helpful advuce on here, I'm after a Kia Ceed CRDI. A bit confused. Do I go for something in warranty still and spend £8-10k or would a low mileage 2011/12 with about 40k on the clock be good enough saving myself a bit of cash?

Is the 2012 that much different to the 2015/2016?

Also is it advisable to go for a 2011 wirh 35k miles or a 2017 with 60k miles? I've seen both.

Thank you

Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - ifekas

I've got a 2010 ceed diesel auto estate which I have owned for about seven years; I would normally replace a car after three years, but this one has been a brilliant car in most respects - handling, power and reliability; the economy around town isn't great but on a long journey it's good. The seats are amazingly comfortable. People go on and on about all the issues of running a diesel car, but I have had no issues specific to it being a diesel. Having said that, my air con condenser had to be replaced last year due to it perishing at the bottom, the multi-v drive belt had apparently started to perish and was replaced, and my rear washer has stopped squirting water though the pump seems to work.

I gather the newer model (2013) doesn't have as such sharp handling; but looks nicer and should be more economical as it has a different auto gearbox (DCT) which apparently is also reliable.

If I were you and could afford it I would go for the newer one; the KIA warranty is very good, and a 2012 model would be eight years old. The older Ceeds can suffer from rust on the top of the doors by the rubber strips and on the underbody subframes.

But I'm hanging on to mine for the time being; when the time comes it will probably be replaced with a three year old Ceed.

Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - SLO76
I don’t have faith in the twin clutch automated manual gearbox the later cars use. Yes it’s been much more reliable to date than Ford’s or VW’s but no one has really proved themselves with these in the longterm, even the Japanese gave up and switched back to much more robust torque converter boxes, Ford are now doing the same.

Early Mk II Ceed’s had a torque converter box, they used more fuel but I’d have more confidence in it. The way to identify it is the higher emissions in the technical section of any advert. The DCT box puts out just under 110g/km while the older gearbox kicks out 145g/km.

All depends on what about. If there’s a nice early car with sensible miles and the older more robust gearbox I’d go for that but with the DCT box I’d want it covered by Kia’s manufacturer warranty for the full ownership so that means much more money.

Here’s a tidy one just round the corner from me and at a trusted dealer. All their stock is part exchanged at their other main dealer branches (VW, Seat, Skoda and Hyundai) but too old for them to sit with so it goes to their trade select branch . I’ve yet to see a bad car with them and I’ve negotiated on behalf of plenty here. Has a full main dealer history and was a local car, this one looks good for the money.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200114613...3

Edited by SLO76 on 06/02/2020 at 01:02

Thanks for the info gents.

I really like the Ceed, would a better option be a Civic or an Auris in a newer model then?

For a small family auto I’d favour one of these three. Post 2012 Honda Civic 1.8, Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv or a Toyota Auris 1.6/1.2T CVT.
Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - badbusdriver

I really like the Ceed, would a better option be a Civic or an Auris in a newer model then?

I too would wish to avoid the DCT gearbox, but according to the info on this website, it did not appear on the Ceed till the Sept 2016 facelift. I'd be quite happy to buy an earlier car with the T/C auto. I am pretty certain that the Civic (2012-2017) was not available as a diesel auto (though the engine is a cracker). I don't think the Auris was available as a diesel auto either, but the diesel engine used was sourced from BMW and isn't great on the reliability front.

So bottom line, if you want diesel auto, stick with the Ceed* (pre-DCT). But if you can manage with a manual diesel, the Civic would be my default option. If you can manage the extra fuel cost of petrol auto, the Civic or Auris would both be excellent choices.

*Make sure it has full Kia history, otherwise the value of any remaining manufacturers warranty will be questionable. You have been warned!.

Hi

I am looking at this car tomorrow. Been tough to find something in budget.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200207706...1

Does this price seem about right?

Also, ideally I was looking with something with a media system (Sat Nav, DAB radio etc). Is it possible to get one installed into the dashboard or not advisable? Just I would rather not have my phone on Waze to save wires everywhere.

Many thanks

Jay

Edited by dazzabeezer on 09/02/2020 at 17:38

Hi

I am looking at this car tomorrow. Been tough to find something in budget.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200207706...1

Does this price seem about right?

Also, ideally I was looking with something with a Sat Nav. and DAB radio combo option (like the newer cars come with as standard). Is it possible to get one installed into the dashboard or not advisable? I like Waze on my phone but the wires annoy me!

Many thanks

Jay

Autotrader has a helpful indicator right beside the advert to tell you whether or not it is a good price (it is). Thing is though, as has been mentioned, the warranty is only going to be viable with a full Kia service history, i.e, no services done outwith the dealer network. Now on paper, you can get the car serviced outwith the dealer network without invalidating the warranty, but in practice (should this be the caes) anecdotal evidence suggests Kia will find a way to wriggle out of their obligations. So if you want to have the security of that extra long warranty, you need to buy from a Kia dealer to be on the safe side.

As for the question re the infotainment, in theory you could buy a fancier unit either new or out of a salvage car*, but no idea whether or not the cost would make it worth considering. If this is a major issue for you, maybe buying a higher spec car would be a better bet?

*Here is a pic from a Ceed of the same shape as the one in your ad but with the higher spec infotainment,

images.clickdealer.co.uk/vehicles/2088/2088919/lar...g

The plastic panel is exactly the same shape, but the cutouts are different. So you'd need to get the unit plus the plastic panel. I would assume (but am by no means sure) the required wiring would already be in place, as you'd probably have been able to spec the fancier infotainment when new. But as i said, the cost might be an issue, i did have a look on ebay, and while i couldn't find a unit for the Ceed, i did find something similar for the Carens which was priced at £400!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 09/02/2020 at 17:54

Thanks for the reply. I was told it was serviced three times by a official Kia dealer and it has just been serviced by the dealers local garage and any parts replaced have been Kia official and he states he has receipts. I will check all of this out tomorrow. Is it worth phoning Kia whilst there to run it past them?

Thanks for the replies so far - the forum is such a great resource.

As already said you need to be sure that it has a full Kia service history or that 28mth warranty won’t be honoured. Kia dealers will almost always reject claims on cars without that dealer history so accept no excuses from the seller. If he’s serviced it or anyone other than the main dealer then it comes with no warranty.

I see this regularly when viewing cars with a long manufacturer warranty at non-franchise or backstreet dealers. They’ll tell you it has a warranty remaining then you later find out it doesn’t. Ask yourself this. Why if this wee car is spot on and has a full history has it been sent to auction? Something possibly has been wrong for the dealer it was part exchanged at to decide not to retail it. I’d rather spend more for an approved used example.

Even if that service book is stamped up I’d want to call the dealer who apparently done it to be sure they’ve serviced it and the history hasn’t been faked either by this dealer of whoever sent it to auction. I generally don’t trust small backstreet dealers, I’ve known plenty of them in my years in the trade and the overwhelming bulk of them are utter conmen. They’d tell you anything to get a deal.

Now with all the horror story out of the way it is still worthy of viewing. It might just have been an ex fleet purchase at auction and the history may be all there. Just watch for poor quality paint repairs. Main dealers will snap up most good stock but some does filter through.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/02/2020 at 18:57

Just our of interest, what gives you the idea the car ive linked came from Auction and wasnt a PX? Or are you just talking in general?

Just our of interest, what gives you the idea the car ive linked came from Auction and wasnt a PX? Or are you just talking in general?

The seller is a very small dealer with only a dozen cars in stock. He doesn’t have a new car franchise or much in the way of stock at all for it to have been part exchanged against. He almost certainly will have bought it at auction despite what he’ll no doubt tell you. That doesn’t 100% mean that it’s a bad car but the chances are far far higher than with a good approved used car from a main dealer.

Of course it should also be noted that were you buying an Audi of this age, it wouldn't have a warranty full stop!. So i'm not saying don't buy the car, just don't buy the car purely for the warranty as there is a good chance, should anything go wrong (unlikely really, as these are pretty reliable cars) Kia probably won't honour the warranty. The MOT history does not show up anything of concern (just failing for mis-aligned headlamps last year), so bearing in mind the price is described by Autotrader as 'good', it could be worth buying anyway, especially if you can knock a bit more off the price?

Thank you both. I am inclined to look for something from a main dealer, purely as the warranty gives me some assurance that if anything does go wrong, I am covered. I have enough doubt in my mind if it is not from a main dealer regarding the warranty, as you explain. I turned down a car the other day for this reason to be honest. It may be unwise, I am not sure, but for the money I am spending I would rather pay a little more for that assurance.

I do like the Ceed a lot, but I am also now looking at two SUVs too in the Ssanyong Tivoli and Dacia Duster to keep my options open at my budget There are not many pre-2016 Ceeds around (a good sign, I guess) so branching out at two other cars I also like, although quite different.

I like other cars (Civics, CRV, Tuscon) but based on the cost of the car and the MPG the options I am looking at (I believe) offer the best solution in terms of cost (£8-10k) and MPG.

Edited by dazzabeezer on 09/02/2020 at 21:48

Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - targen

Kia will ALWAYS honour their 7 year warranty on any component that is not affected by servicing.. e.g. say an electric window motor fails in year seven..... servicing has no bearing on this part , so service history is irrelevant.. of course , it is VERY relevant to most of the engine , the braking system , etc..... if you buy a vehicle that has been serviced outside the Kia dealer network , not only will the service book need the relevant stamps , but full details of which parts were changed and proof genuine parts were used in the services to maintain the FULL warranty. (i.e. keep the reciepts!).

Our local Kia dealer rejects any claim unless the car has a full Kia service history.
Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - thunderbird
Our local Kia dealer rejects any claim unless the car has a full Kia service history.

This is the official Kia policy taken from the website.

Very different to you local dealer, they need a good slapping.

Using a Kia dealer gives you the reassurance they will service, repair and maintain your car to the highest standards using genuine Kia parts. They’ll also check for any safety recalls and Kia service actions that may affect your car. Remember also that to qualify for the anti-perforation limited warranty, body inspections should be completed by an authorised Kia dealer or repairer and stamped on schedule.

If you choose to service your car elsewhere, it should be done at a VAT-registered garage. The service must be completed as per Kia guidelines, using only Kia genuine parts (or those of equivalent quality) and lubricants as recommended by Kia. Please make sure all part numbers and lubricant type and grade are noted on the servicing invoice, the service book is stamped and all kept in a safe place for reference if needed.

“ If you choose to service your car elsewhere, it should be done at a VAT-registered garage. The service must be completed as per Kia guidelines, using only Kia genuine parts (or those of equivalent quality) and lubricants as recommended by Kia. Please make sure all part numbers and lubricant type and grade are noted on the servicing invoice, the service book is stamped and all kept in a safe place for reference if needed.”

Exactly the same as every other manufacturer. They get round paying out by putting the burden of proof on to you. How do you prove the car was serviced exactly in accordance with Kia’s own workshop recommendations? A stamp in the book and service receipt isn’t enough. I’ve listened to this argument countless times and at dealers I’ve worked at too. If you want to keep the warranty valid then it needs a full main dealer history fact.
Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - daveyjp

There is also nowhere in any regulations which state the garage has to be VAT registered.

Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - Happy Blue!

That's true but a warranty is separate from the minimum legal requirements.

Anyway why would you want to get your car serviced at a garage whose turnover is less than £1,700 per week? That implies it cannot afford any of the equipment needed to service and repair a properly.

Kia Ceed Auto 1.6 CRDI - targen

All Kia service schedules are itemised on a check sheet available from Kia....if a qualified garage uses this check sheet , and used genuine parts to carry out the work , there should be no issues with the vehicles warranty.... Im not advocating having the car serviced outside the Kia dealer network , because there are many advantages in using a dealer , such as automatic recall checks , maintenance of the anti corrosion warranty , and not least peace of mind. It is always worth getting the main dealer to quote for the service anyway , as the "extras" they supply , such as free courtesy car , collection , wash/valet etc , are worth having , and the price may not be any more expensive than a non-franchised garage!! Also consider that , one day , you may want to p/ex your car , and a book full of main dealer stamps will add considerably to its p/ex value. But then , I may be biased......