Honda Jazz - catalytic converter theft - Senexdriver

By some sheer stroke of luck, my son has come into ownership of a Honda Jazz. No need to explain how, but it’s a 54 plate, low mileage auto in excellent condition. He is absolutely thrilled with it and from things Jazz owners have posted on here, I can understand why. But - his wife told me shortly before they took it over that Jazz’s are highly susceptible to catalytic converter theft as the converter is comparatively easy to remove. This was a bit of a concern as they live in London and the Jazz will be parked in the street.

So they’ve had it a couple of weeks now and just today he looked out of the window to see a stranger peering under the car. The stranger ran off before my son could challenge him as to what he was doing. He was clearly scoping the car out.

Do any Jazz owners have any knowledge or suggestions as to how the theft might be prevented? My son has read that a plate of some sort can be fitted to make theft harder, although not impossible. If it is a well-known problem, hopefully others have found ways of defeating the thieves.

Honda Jazz - catalytic converter theft - johncyprus

Happened to our 2008 Jazz here in London last summer in broad daylight as reported on this forum. CCTV shows it all done in less than two minutes. HJ recommends a device to keep it safe but I can’t how that will save your car being trashed as they will cut through the under trays and maybe the exhaust before encountering the device.

Honda Jazz - catalytic converter theft - Bolt

Happened to our 2008 Jazz here in London last summer in broad daylight as reported on this forum. CCTV shows it all done in less than two minutes. HJ recommends a device to keep it safe but I can’t how that will save your car being trashed as they will cut through the under trays and maybe the exhaust before encountering the device.

These scroats do not want obstacles in the way so the faster they can get it off the less chance of being caught, the cage I see on the net was spring steel or hardened plates which would take longer to grind through. too long for them

if its protected there's a good chance they wont bother

Honda Jazz - catalytic converter theft - focussed

The thieves don't use a grinder, they use a rotary hand operated exhaust pipe cutter which is silent.

Honda Jazz - catalytic converter theft - gordonbennet

Some of the scrotes don't worry about being caught, they offer anyone who objects the business end of a knife, something one must accept living in a modern city apparently.

Honda Jazz - catalytic converter theft - Bolt

Some of the scrotes don't worry about being caught, they offer anyone who objects the business end of a knife, something one must accept living in a modern city apparently.

Yes Im afraid thats how London has got now, or has been for a long time now, not helped by not enough law about, including the walkabout police which used to be common sight

Now we have this old government back I suppose its business as usual with no change and as tight fisted or worse than before?

The thieves don't use a grinder, they use a rotary hand operated exhaust pipe cutter which is silent.

Im surprised there is enough room to get one in that space, its not exactly roomy under the car