Buying a second hand automatic - kaladin

Hey!

My wife has recently found a new job where she's doing a lot more mileage than previously, and she's always wanted an automatic (where she comes from they're the norm although she passed in UK on a manual).

We currently have a paid off Ford Fiesta 2013, and we're planning on trading that in for an automatic. Including the trade in, our budget will be around £8k max.

I've been mostly looking at Japanese petrol automatics, and I've read a CVT is generally a pretty safe bet. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on a automatic that fits these requirements:

• Around £8k
  • 2014 minimum
  • Reasonable MPG
  • Reasonable running costs
  • Focus sized
  • Not too bothered about gadgets, although parking sensors and cruise control would be nice

So far I'm liking the look of a 2014(ish) Civic but I was wondering what else might be worth a look? Although having a look through two recent automatic-related posts, I couldn't tell whether the 2014 Civic is a CVT or not.

Thank you.

Buying a second hand automatic - badbusdriver

I couldn't tell whether the 2014 Civic is a CVT or not.

No, it is a torque converter auto.

The Civic is very reliable, very spacious, very comfortable and very refined. If you don't mind the looks, it is probably the best car you could buy. And bear in mind, if you need a bigger boot, there is an estate version. BTW, for cruise, you need SE spec or higher.

Alternatives?,

Toyota Auris which (CVT)

Mazda 3 (T/C)

Kia Ceed (T/C)

Hyundai i30 (T/C)

Peugeot 308 (2014>) 1.2 (T/C)

Edited by badbusdriver on 12/01/2020 at 21:30

Lots to think about there!

I'm really actually quite liking the Peugeot 308 and the 2008 another poster recommended below - Especially on the 308 you get a lot of gadgets! However, I'm not sure about their reliability as I've heard Peugeot have a bit of a reputation.

The Mazda 3 looks a really nice car although they're a little harder to find, sadly.

Overall I think the Civic is still our favourite but I'm going to have a think and test drive of a few others just in case.

Buying a second hand automatic - SLO76
£8k is enough (just) to buy a nice 2013-2014 Civic and it is probably the best option with regard to reliability, economy, space and residual value. I’d favour one with a full Honda dealer history (most do) and it’s worth paying a bit extra for an approved used example.

I’d add the Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv auto to the search too. It’s nicer to drive than the Honda but a bit more expensive and rarer. A very nice car and again uses a straightforward torque converter transmission and non-turbocharged chain driven petrol motor so there’s no real worries here. Again I’d favour an approved used car with full dealer history but generally these two are the most sensible options for a small family auto.

I’ll add the Toyota Auris 1.6/1.2T CVT also as it’s a perfectly decent car if a bit bland and dated to sit in.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/01/2020 at 23:07

Buying a second hand automatic - nellyjak

Just two words...Japanese and Petrol.

My choice would always be Toyota/Honda...and as SLO says..preferably with some

dealer approved status/history with it.

Buying a second hand automatic - John F

We replaced our Mk1 Focus with a similar sized Peugeot 2008. The puretech 1.2 is building a good reputation among the small three-pots, as is the TC 'EAT6' auto from a renowned Japanese manufacturer (Aisin). There are lots of used Allures to choose from at around £8000. Go for the 82bhp version for economy, 110bhp for a bit more oomph.

Buying a second hand automatic - pyruse

What about a Jazz? Nice CVT gearbox, spacious, quiet, and very economical.

You would be able to get a 2014 one for well under 8K

I actually quite like the 2008! Definitely something to try and get a test drive in. You get a lot more for your money than a Civic but I'm not sure about their reliability scores.

I actually quite like the 2008! Definitely something to try and get a test drive in. You get a lot more for your money than a Civic but I'm not sure about their reliability scores.

Whoa there, just hold your horses!. I think John might be getting his wires crossed. The T/C auto is only with the 1.2 turbo engine, the n/a 82bhp version of this engine has an automated manual (ETG). There is no way you will get into the former for £8k and you certainly don't want the latter. Bear in mind also that all pre-facelift 2008's which is up to late 2015 or early 2016.

Edited by badbusdriver on 13/01/2020 at 21:08

Ah. Well thanks for letting me know! It's a nice car but not *that* nice! I think I'll narrow it down to the Civic, Mazda3 and the 308 then.

Whoa there, just hold your horses!. I think John might be getting his wires crossed. The T/C auto is only with the 1.2 turbo engine, the n/a 82bhp version of this engine has an automated manual (ETG). There is no way you will get into the former for £8k and you certainly don't want the latter. Bear in mind also that all pre-facelift 2008's which is up to late 2015 or early 2016.

Sorry, must have had a senior moment, the end of the above should have read, "bear in mind also that all pre-facelift 2008 used automated manuals"

Buying a second hand automatic - John F

Whoa there, just hold your horses!. I think John might be getting his wires crossed. The T/C auto is only with the 1.2 turbo engine, the n/a 82bhp version of this engine has an automated manual (ETG). There is no way you will get into the former for £8k and you certainly don't want the latter.

Need to pay a bit more to get the quality gearbox in the quality spec, but not that much more. I agree - go for the 110.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190718021...1

Buying a second hand automatic - barney100

Have a look at Volvos which fit your criteria, they can go on and on.

Bear in mind also that all pre-facelift 2008's which is up to late 2015 or early 2016.

Apologies for the incorrect info, after looking at the ad for the car John posted and doing a bit more digging, it turns out the T/C auto did make its way into the 2008 (May 2015) about 9 months before the facelifted car came out (but only on the 1.2 turbo).

Buying a second hand automatic - tanvir

Are Astra autos (2010-15) any good? Plenty of 1.6 petrols out there for low money... is it a case of 'you get what you pay for?'

Buying a second hand automatic - Fijit

I've owned a 2008 with the 130 pure tech engine for four years. Great little car, and the engine is a superb. I am planning a replacement with the EAT8 gearbox because it's so good. DO NOT ON ANY ACCOUNT buy one with the ECG gearbox its awfull, or so I read, and it wasn't very good when I tried one.

Thanks a lot for your advice, today we bought a nice Civic that we pick up next week. The car was lovely to drive and a little over-budget but came with full Honda dealer history (and it was hard to find suitable automatic Civics that weren't 100+ miles away heh).

Edited by kaladin on 19/01/2020 at 16:14

Buying a second hand automatic - Avant

Thank you so much for coming back and telling us. Glad we could help, and the Civic sounds like a very good buy.