Fitting Bigger Wheels to Vectra - robZilla
I have a 2.0 Vectra GLS with factory-fitted 15" alloys wearing a set of 195/65/15 Michelins. I have been offered a very nice set of 16" alloys off an SRi at a good price. I'd like to fit them to my car but I wanted to check a few things first. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm not an expert...

1. What size of tyre do I need to fit to the larger 16" wheels? (presumably I can't just transfer my existing tyres.. or can I?)

2. Will the larger wheels have any effect on the steering/braking characteristics of the vehicle?

Thanks,

Rob.
Fitting Bigger Wheels to Vectra - DavidHM
Obviously your old tyres won't go straight on because you can't stretch the gap in the middle out by another inch!

The Toyo tyre convertor (here: www.toyo.co.uk/converter/converter.html ) tells me that you need 205/55/16s on your car. This will keep the diameter of your wheel and tyre combination the same, which is what you want.

Secondly, the larger wheels may have several effects. The main good one will be better grip through the wider tyres. There are potential bad ones, although with only a one inch step up and a car that includes that wheel size in its range they are likely to be minimal.

These include tramlining (i.e., a tendency to follow imperfections in the road) and a harsher ride due to the reduced amount of rubber between the rim and the road. The car may also be more prone to understeer, not necessarily something you want on a Vectra.

You must also tell your insurance company - some won't care, others will only care if you make a claim and they notice the non standard alloys, others will increase your premium. If you don't do it and the car is damaged or stolen and they find out about the wheels, it may invalidate your policy.
Fitting Bigger Wheels to Vectra - robZilla
I know - what a retard!!! Of course the 15" tyres won't fit on the 16" wheels! In my defence, I figured that out on the way home from work last night.

Thanks for the advice David, much appreciated. I think I'll go for the wheels as (IMO) they look 'wheel' nice (get it?). Sorry.