Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - PDidderly

Opinions please. Looking to buy a car from 2019, probably petrol and manual. Also looking to purchase and not get through PCP.

Have ~15k budget and a part ex of around 4k.

Overall would you choose a Mercedes A180 or a Audi Q2?

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - daveyjp

Strange comparison as they are different types of car.

As price is obviously a consideration the Audi will have an equivalent Skoda which is cheaper and Merc build the A class from Renault parts so one of these (or a Nissan) will also be cheaper.

Edited by daveyjp on 28/12/2019 at 21:14

Thanks for the reply. I have a fake SUV type car at the moment and like being higher on the road so that's where the Q2 came from. I test drove the A3 and felt nice but a little long in its dimensions. I know the Q2 is probably longer but also wider so feels more in proportion.

Been a long time fan of Mercedes A class as well and the 2019 version has good reviews. Would the 2 cars be comparable in terms or engine performance (both 1.4l) and standard technology?

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - badbusdriver

First thing that strikes me is that these are not obvious bedfellows. One is a crossover based on a Polo sized car, the other is a conventional small family hatch. Or to put it another way, while Merc doesn't have a direct rival to the Q2, Audi's closest rival to the A Class would be the A3.

So, because they are quite different in market position, i think this would boil down to personal preference regarding their respective layouts. The Audi is 23cm shorter, nearly 7cm taller, and has a more capacious boot by 35 litres (though any on paper advantage may be wiped out by a less practical shape). As far as SUV's/Crossover's go, the Audi is not that tall, but it will have a higher seating position than the merc, so if that is a factor, the Q2 is the one to go for.

TBH, i'm not that keen on either, but if i had to choose, it would be the Audi. Just be aware that the 1.5 petrol engine (looking at Audi's bizarre current naming policy, i think this would be the '35') has been reported as having some issues. Not sure if this affects all the VAG cars using the engine, but it certainly seems to affect VW's and Skoda's.

Would the 2 cars be comparable in terms or engine performance (both 1.4l) and standard technology?

The Audi used the 1.4 up to April 2019 (according to the model history on this website this website), after this it is the (potentially troublesome) 1.5.

The Merc uses a 1.3. This does have less power, around 135bhp vs 150bhp for the Audi (both 1.4 and 1.5).

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/12/2019 at 21:36

Thanks. It surprises me that the Q2 is shorter than the A180 so thank you for that. The widths are comparable and as I'm not a fan of parking I'd assume the Q2 may be easier to handle. I'd also look to have parking sensors / cameras on the car.

It doesn't look like the sat nav in the dash (where speed dial etc is) is worth the extra on the Q2. But the full 10 inch screens within the A180 are desirable.

If looking for the March 2019 models when would be the best time to buy? Do you think around new year, or wait until March 2020 when new models are released?

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - Avant

The original Mercedes A-class was higher off the ground, but the current version is a Golf-sized hatchback which sells well through its upmarket image but doesn't actually do anything that the Golf can't.

I have a Q2 and love it: but Audis hold their value very well, so whereas you can get a good PCP or leasing deal on a new one, a nearly-new one to suit your budget won't be as good value as a less 'premium' brand. I can confirm - it is, at 4.2 metres long, shorter than the A3.

Assuming you want a small SUV, in your position I'd be looking at the Skoda Karoq, SEAT Arona or Ateca, Renault Captur or - a strong contender that people often forget - the Suzuki Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet. Our regular member Ethan Edwards has one and likes it a lot.

I don't want to come across as a snob but would rather a premium brand. I've driven Ford's and VWs which were great for the price, but would like more up market manufacturers if possible. I know I gave guide prices though so appreciate the alternatives.

Could anyone clarify when best time to buy a 2019 model would be? Is it worth waiting for 2020 models to be released, and will this be March time?

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - alan1302

I don't want to come across as a snob but would rather a premium brand.

Why?

I don't want to come across as a snob but would rather a premium brand.

Why?

Image, impressing the neighbours, impressing the work colleagues, etc etc. Car buyers, especially in the UK, have very much become badge obsessed. To the point that they seem quite happy to have an unreliable car over a reliable one if it means having something 'bang on trend' over something percieved as being dull. Just look at the amount of folk driving Range Rovers!.

Audi's may not be too bad in terms of reliability, but as they are exactly the same under the skin as any other VAG product, there is nothing to be gained by choosing one over a VW Seat or Skoda. At least the Q2 does have a distinctive look about it (though IMO, its exterior styling details give it more than a passing resemblance to the Ssangyong Tivoli!).

Mercedes on the other hand, don't actually seem to be that reliable at all, and going by some of the posts i've seen on the forum, their customers service can be woeful (though obviously that will vary from dealer to dealer). The A Class itself, as Avant pointed out, is nothing special at all if you take away the glossy tech heavy dashboard. Not particularly spacious and not particularly reliable (if you remove the question marks over the 1.5 engine, the Golf is a superior car in every way). I do sometimes wonder how many A Class drivers look down their noses in disdain at drivers of Dacia's, without being aware that they use the same engines (certainly in the case of the 1.3 turbo petrol and 1.5 turbo diesel)!. The original A Class, while flawed in terms of excecution and reliability, was at least a very intelligent and well thought out design with an astonishing amount of interior space for its size. It really did move the game forward (like the Audi A2), but looked too odd for the tastes of most buyers (and of course the infamous 'elk test' didn't help....!).

It surprises me that the Q2 is shorter than the A180 so thank you for that.

Not really sure why this surprises you. As i said, the Q2 is a Polo sized crossover. The A Class is Merc's smallest car, but it is Golf sized not Polo sized. Though i'm sure it is only a matter of time before Merc plugs this hole in their range (possibly something based on the Clio?).

Ha, good question. Because I've had other cars in the past and have got to the stage where I can afford one. Also would like to see for myself what the fuss is about and if they're worth the extra. It's not forever so if I don't get on with premium brand can always chop it in in a few years time.

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - gordonbennet

Image branding isn't the reason for everyone buying the more upmarket brand, personally i dislike the styling of Skodas and latest Seats, particularly the headlight grill and tail light designs though latest Superb is a step in the right direction, and while Audi may not appeal to everyone they do look neat overall, and i have no doubt the soundproofing is in an entirely different league, i rode in my friends Golf GTD on 19" wheels, which is probably the harshest ride with the most road roar it's been my misfortune to encounter in any car (worse even than a C2 VTS)and you could not pay me enough to own one.

We all like different things thankfully, and for the time being we still have the choice, maybe a good idea to buy cars one might not previously have considered before the new sour faced apparatchiks outlaw anything not the motoring equivalent of a hair shirt.

i have no doubt the soundproofing is in an entirely different league

That may be the case further up the Audi food chain GB, but i'm not sure that is the case with the Q2 or A1. For both these models, reading reviews points to a standard of interior quality and refinement lower than the Audi's usual. Not saying it is bad, just not up to the usual, and perhaps no better than 'mainstream' rivals.

Going purely by what i read (as opposed to direct experience), Peugeot have some of the nicest interiors currently available (apart from proper high end stuff) in terms of quality and design. Of course their 'i-cockpit' seems to be a very devisive feature, which either works brilliantly or not at all depending on your personal preference (and it seems, height!). Who'd have thought Peugeot would ever manage to make an interior of the same or higher quality than Audi?!.

Regarding your comments on soundproofing, were it not for the fact my nearest dealer is about 70 miles away, i'd be very keen on looking at a Citroen C4 Cactus for our next car. Because of it's emphasis on comfort and refinement, with the dual density foam in the seats, better soundproofing, thicker glass (for the same reason) and these new hydraulic bump stops. I'm still tempted, as i could get the car serviced at the local Peugeot dealer, but i'm just a bit concerned at the potential hassle should any warranty work be required!.

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - bazza

Haven't driven one but had a few lifts in the latest A class and it is underwhelming indeed, the Golf 7 is a far superior place to be in. But they sell in droves because of the wacking big oversized badge on the front, as if people actually think they're buying an exec for the price of a Focus or any equivalent hatch! Having had a few Skodas, I do tend to agree with GB that trim etc is superior on the Audi equivalents, though I can only compare higher end stuff like the old 2.5 tdi 100, now that was a lovely car.

Good to hear positive thing being said about Peugeots again, they've made some great motors in the past, The 508 looks pretty smart to me.

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - alan1302

Ha, good question. Because I've had other cars in the past and have got to the stage where I can afford one. Also would like to see for myself what the fuss is about and if they're worth the extra. It's not forever so if I don't get on with premium brand can always chop it in in a few years time.

Why not just try some out first to see what they are like - no need to buy one first. Try it, see if it suits and if it's worth the extra cost to you.

Mercedes A180 / Audi Q2 - Which car - Merc A180 or Audi Q2 - Avant

The soundproofing is fine in my Q2, but the door cards are of hard plastic and would have shamed my first car, a much-loved 1955 Austin Cambridge.

Cost-cutting is all very well, but the reasons why VW and Audi are economising on one of their USPs - quality of interiors and the resulting showroom appeal - are quite beyond me. A Skoda Kamiq looks more upmarket inside than does a VW T-Cross.

Agreed - Peugeot have discovered that a good interior sells. A pity that they have entrusted the heating and AC controls to a touchscreen: this sounds dangerous to me although it would be useful to listen to anyone who has long-term experience of how this works in practice.