Volvo V70 - Windscreen and insurance - barney100

These cars have a heat bonded screen and mine is coming away slightly and letting water in. Insurance company say as there is no crack or chip in the driving vision area its not down to them. This car has just about had a rebuild, smacked by a post office van, front a real mess, scraped by a lorry next, side dented... both no fault...Christmas Day reversed into a wall, my fault. It's in next week to renew acquaintance with the body shop.

Volvo V70 - Windscreen and insurance - bathtub tom

May the body shell have been distorted by one of the previous incidents, resulting in a distortion to the screen surround?

If so you need to return to whichever body shop failed to detect it.

Or flog the thing!

Volvo V70 - Windscreen and insurance - Bolt

May the body shell have been distorted by one of the previous incidents, resulting in a distortion to the screen surround?

If so you need to return to whichever body shop failed to detect it.

Or flog the thing!

iirc, Last one I heard doing this it was down to the paint/primer preventing bonding from sticking to the frame, just a thought?

Volvo V70 - Windscreen and insurance - gordonbennet

Hmm, its a bit late for a lump of metal to be thrown up from the road and crack the screen now they know.

It's years since i've had a windscreen claim, i use the services of small local windscreen fitters (not the national mobs) who the local car trade uses, you'd be surprised just how cheap it can be to get a new screen fitted.

Maybe some carefully applied silicon sealer will work if not.

Volvo V70 - Windscreen and insurance - Andrew-T

Doubt it, unless you can find a way to remove every last trace of damp from the joint first.

Volvo V70 - Windscreen and insurance - Bolt

Doubt it, unless you can find a way to remove every last trace of damp from the joint first.

That still leaves a screen that isn't very strong where it isn't bonded properly, its better to get it removed and sorted properly, also if its leaking- there will be wind noise at speed as well

had to sort a few Fords because of that problem years ago, either because of poor bonding or the mounting was poorly painted

the people who fitted should redo it.

Edited by bolt on 28/12/2019 at 18:33