Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - joegrundy

I recently posted about buying a £650 Leon Tdi as a stopgap after my x type expired. (And received much helpful advice).

During yet another cold and rainy day I contemplated the prospect of working on the car to sort out the (common on these) water ingress problems and the ongoing get the engine running right issues. I don't have a garage and find that my back plays up after a short time bent over the engine. I am not very technically skilled.

I am considering giving up the unequal struggle and buying a newer car, specifically a Baleno. These caught my eye when they first came out. They've now been discontinued, of course, and there are what seem to me to be reasonably priced examples about.

Specifically, I've seen a 2016 1.0 boosterjet with about 25k miles for just under £7k. It would seem to fit he bill - small but big enough for me, fast enough, economical, good for long distances, good reputation, etc. The reviews and the long term HJ review are encouraging. Also unfashionable enough to be sensibly priced. I have a local main dealer.

I now accept the fact that I don't enjoy fiddling about with cars any more and really just want reliability and something that fits my modest needs.

I am very tempted by this car. It seems a reasonable compromise between the old and the daft brand new PCP cycle.

Be grateful for thoughts/experiences.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - Andrew-T

I can't tell you anything useful about this car, Joe, but I know Suzuki has a decent reputation, and I sympathise with the reasons you list. I do have a garage, but like many others it was built to the 1970 specified dimensions so is useless for working in except at the nose end. If the Baleno you have found passes the recommended buyer's examination, go ahead. It should be a good time of year to buy from a dealer.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - bazza

Can't think of anything bad to say about Suzuki, it will likely be fine. Their Swift and Vitara are very popular round here, a friend has the s cross, perfectly happy. Their cars seem to be extremely well engineered, fairly basic and practical. A swift is on my list for next smaller car. Their motorbikes are up there with the finest Japanese engineering. I'd do the usual used car checks though, of course. Someone on here has a boosterjet Swift and speaks highly of it, can't remember who. Good luck

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - Oli rag
I think that’s a good choice and it’s a model that is on my my own shopping list.

Although they seem to get so so reviews from magazine road testers, because of a lack of soft touch plastics and on the limit handling deficiencies, they seem to be really liked by real owners.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to go ahead with this plan.

I've looked at Swifts, but they don't seem to be any cheaper. I really fancy a Vitara 1.4 boosterjet allgrip auto but the price (to me at least) is just too much.

One of the things I like about the Baleno is sensible wheel/tyre sizes, making decent all season tyres economically viable, and review comments such as basic cabin/hard plastics tend to be a plus rather than a minus.

I'll look at finance options, at least to start with. One of the benefits of buying on HP/PCP is that legally you buy the car from the finance company, not the dealer. The finance companies are regulated by FCA, and the Ombudsman has issued some fairly strong rulings where consumers have been failed/given the run around by dealers and manufacturers.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - paul 1963

If it helps I had one as a loan car a year or so ago and absolutely loved it, the one I was lent had the auto box with paddle shift that while a bit gimiky was a joy to use, found it very comfortable as well

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - tim10597

My mum bought one of these new in 2016, a 1.0 booster jet automatic. I’ve driven it on a few occasions and it’s a good all round car. Her car has only covered 10,000 miles from new, and has been serviced initially by Suzuki and now by an independent. Nothing has gone wrong with it at all. It is now only used for local journeys, but previously when she drove longer distances, it would easily return 50+ mpg, driven steadily. It’s not a particularly engaging car to drive, but it is honest, reliable and good ‘A to B’ transport.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - KB.

The Suzuki dealer at Exeter (and Taunton) is showing quite a few pre reg. with 5 or 10 miles on the clock - it suggests around five grand off.

Might be a proper bargin?

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - mcb100
I had one for a week when it was launched to the dealers. Memories are of a tall colleague complaining that the seat cushion was a little too short to get comfortable, and of a touch screen that works quite well but isn’t the easiest to use because you can’t put the heel of your hand anywhere to stabilise your inputs.
Apart from that an inoffensive car, does everything pretty well but just didn’t sell well enough to remain in the Suzuki range.
Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - Ethan Edwards

I have two Suzuki's. A 67 Vitara S allgrip Auto with the 1.4 Boosterjet. Now done 23k. A 68 plate Swift 1.0 Boosterjet Auto now done 10k. I love the Boosterjet engines. I do 75miles a day commuting to work. Never missed a beat. If your Baleno has the 1litre Boosterjet then I can assure you that the engine will be fun to own. The dealer I use is just first class. Hope you find one as good.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - dan86

I have owned a few Suzuki's my current one I've had 9 years and 63k miles. It's never missed a beat or used a drop of oil. It gets it yearly service and that's about it. It's still on its original headlight bulbs ect I've only ever had to replace one break light bulb at 8 years old.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - badbusdriver

The Baleno along with the Celerio are victims of the UK market's obsession with image. They have been withdrawn because there simply are not enough sales in the UK to justify keeping them here, with the much trendier Swift and Ignis taking much more sales. This is a shame for anyone who places practicality above style, but it really is the same for most of the industry. Frankly i'm surprised that we still have the SX4 S-Cross alongside the Vitara for the same reason. Yes, the SX4 S-Cross has a usefully bigger boot than the Vitara, but that is the same if you compare the Baleno and the Swift (355l vs 265l). Objectively the Baleno is a better car than the Swift, having that much bigger boot, plus an extra 7cm in the wheelbase means more interior space.In addition, the baleno, like all Suzuki's, doesn't weigh very much, tipping the scales at around 980kg, much lighter than a current Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost.

So yes, (IMO) go for it, i very much doubt you'll have any regrets!.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - gordonbennet

I like these, liked the old model which had a useful size estate option too.

Not suggesting it's a good buy or not Joe but there's a cat S repaired 1.0 litre for sale in white at Halifax on ebay item number 163967254789, 45k miler 16 plate for some £4250 )probably negotiable), obviously i have no idea how bad the damage was pre repair, but wondered if it might be of consideration seeing as you tend to keep your cars a long time so resale shouldn't be an issue.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - daveyK_UK

I know of a 17 plate 1.0 Baleno which has 31,000 trouble free miles

Worth remembering Suzuki main dealer servicing costs are reasonable, well worth considering having it serviced by Suzuki once the warranty has expired.

I found the Baleno to be a Good car with good interior space

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - SLO76
Perfectly decent little cars but hampered with slightly ungainly styling and a confused position in the market, it’s supposed to sit above a supermini but it’s not in the Golf class. A bit of an oddball but it’ll be utterly reliable, good on fuel and very decent to drive. It’s only downside will be terrible resale values so buy well and keep it longterm.

At this sort of money a very nice Honda Civic would be a very good longterm bet too. It’ll be older and higher in the miles but a good 63/14 plate 1.8 SE/ES Civic would offer a decades worth of running, near diesel economy, loads of room and easy resale if you wanted a change.

Thanks for all the comments.

I've spent quite some time looking at reviews and I think this will fit my needs well. I have a long-established local dealer.

Another grey day here today, which has dissuaded me from spending it trying to fix the Leon water leak. So I called a dealer and I'm going to have a look at this one tomorrow morning:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/details?id=5561...7

The price is good according to the HJ guide, it's got a full Suzuki service history, the mileage is 'goldilocks' (not too big, not too small) , and we can sort out a few hundred quid for the Leon which will save me disposing of it.

I think the Baleno will be capable of what I want it for. Most of the time I'm in the car on my own, but I do ferry the granddaughters about. Most of my mileage is fairly local, but I do like to take off for a 2,500 mile round trip. Completely different from the x-type, of course, but the Leon has reawakened my enjoyment of 'perky' driving and I think/hope a Baleno will continue this. I plan (all being well) to keep it for a few years.

Will report back.

Thanks for all the comments.

I've spent quite some time looking at reviews and I think this will fit my needs well. I have a long-established local dealer.

Another grey day here today, which has dissuaded me from spending it trying to fix the Leon water leak. So I called a dealer and I'm going to have a look at this one tomorrow morning:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/details?id=5561...7

The price is good according to the HJ guide, it's got a full Suzuki service history, the mileage is 'goldilocks' (not too big, not too small) , and we can sort out a few hundred quid for the Leon which will save me disposing of it.

I think the Baleno will be capable of what I want it for. Most of the time I'm in the car on my own, but I do ferry the granddaughters about. Most of my mileage is fairly local, but I do like to take off for a 2,500 mile round trip. Completely different from the x-type, of course, but the Leon has reawakened my enjoyment of 'perky' driving and I think/hope a Baleno will continue this. I plan (all being well) to keep it for a few years.

Will report back.

Looks good Joe, i'm sure it will be absolutely fine.

There was one slight concern though, not regarding that particular car, but the Baleno, and Suzuki's in general.

In previous posts, i recall you being abroad with the Jag (and it breaking down!). And while i am quite sure the Baleno won't break down, Suzuki's are generally not that refined. Not sure how much, if any, longer trips you might be planning to take, but the Baleno is going to be a fair bit noisier at a cruise than the Jag (probably the Leon too). Now if you don't plan on doing longer trips anymore it is unlikely to be an issue, but if you were, you may need to look into some aftermarket sound deadening kits. Also, as i'm sure you are aware, tyre choice can make a difference, so if you do find the car a bit noisy, a change of tyre could make a big difference.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - KB.

For two grand more you could have one with only 5 miles on the clock.

trackssuzuki.co.uk/vehicle/UE5360/

For two grand more you could have one with only 5 miles on the clock.

trackssuzuki.co.uk/vehicle/UE5360/

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, it's not the same car. That's the N/A 1.2 engine which, from all my research. is nowhere near the 'boosterjet' in performance or economy or, well, fun.

Thanks for that - a very useful point.

My long trips have been (and probably will be) a c.300 mile trip from here (Pembs) to the port, and 8000 mile run to Andorra, then back via a meander through France. Luckily, my expectations are fairly low because the Jag, while a Jag (!) was 2004 with many miles. Door seals were worn and the back suspension thumped. I overcame this by opening the window to the 'smoker's crack' and turning up the radio (where available). I am a man of modest needs.

I actually have some self-adhesive sound stuff. I used some to stick under the plastic engine 'pretty cover' on the Leon engine after I had to hoover up the crumbs of the disintegrated original stuff. It didn't make much difference to the noise (I think there's an exhaust leak) but it looks nice.

From the photos I think that this Baleno is on its original Bridgestones. This was commented on in some reviews I saw. I would plan to fit some all-seasons which should improve things. The wheels are sensible sizes.

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - dan86

In the current 9 year old Suzuki we have I done a 400 mile nearly nonstop journey apart from the channel tunnel it wasn't the most refined but it did the job at 90mph most of the way with relative ease.

Well, that was an ... interesting experience.

(Bear in mind that it's been a while since I was at a large main dealership so my expectations/memories could be out of line with current practice).

I arrived a little early for my appointment and the sales chap was dealing with another customer, actually handing somewhat bemused-looking bloke a huge wad of papers straight off the printer.

I wandered outside and found the car parked with others, so had a look round outside it. It was wet, as if it had been washed but wasn't clean clean, if you know what I mean. The wheels needed a good brushing, and one had kerb rash. The salesman came out with the key and opened it up so I could have a look inside. It didn't seem to have been cleaned. It wasn't scruffy but obviously needed a vacuum and wipe down.

But what first struck me (because I know to look for it now and I'm trying to get away from this problem on the Leon) was that when I opened the front passenger door there was a fair bit of water on the sill cover, the wrong side of the door seal. Sure enough, running my hand along the bottom of the door card it was quite wet and dripping down. I went back into the office to tell them 'thanks but no thanks'. 'My' sales chap was still busy. An old boy was talking to a salesman trying to make a payment and was firmly instructed that he could not use a card and if he couldn't do it online he'd have to go to his bank.

A salesman asked if he could help with any questions about the car. Told him they might want to get the water leak fixed. 'Oh, it's just been jetwashed'. Still shouldn't happen and the other doors are ok.

And so I left, but on my way to my car I noticed a couple of cars being washed. One guy was using an industrial-looking pressure washer, the other a brush on a long handle connected to a hose.

I appreciate that maybe to this large dealer a £6800 car may be 'bargain basement' but I was a bit disappointed all the same. Perhaps I expect too much.

On a positive note, looking at the car 'in the flesh' has reassured me that I'd like one, so I just have to keep looking.

Oh that's a shame Joe, not sure where abouts you are but there's a Suzuki dealer near me ( surrey) and there stock is always immaculately presented.

I'll post there details if your interested and it's not breaking forum rules, no connection with them apart from being a satisfied past customer....

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - Avant

No problem with that, Paul.

double post....sorry

Edited by paul 1963 on 28/12/2019 at 18:33

Suzuki Baleno - 'Tis the season for contemplation - bazza

Motorpoint have a couple and there is one at Ron Skinner in s Wales, no relationship with these but positive experience particularly the latter. There's a decent dealer in my area, near Newport s Wales. Happy to help if needed.

Sorry to hear of your below par experience Joe, but hopefully you will find a good car from a good dealer soon!

Thanks Avant, Town and country cars, Ash, Surrey....highly recommended