MINI Cooper - Smoke during start up - is this normal? - SC99

For the past couple of days I have noticed smoke whenever I start my engine. This does not happen if I stop and start the engine straight after it getting warmed. But if I let it cool for any longer than about. 5 minutes then I get another puff of smoke. Is this normal?

The current air temperature is around 8.5 degrees Celsius. The smoke appears to be white. I do not think that I can see a blue tint to the smoke. It smoked quite a lot when I first started it this morning. However, this was at about 8am and the air temperature was probably around 5 degrees Celsius.

MINI Cooper - Smoke during start up - is this normal? - elekie&a/c doctor
Age of car? Petrol , Diesel?

2011 1.6 Mini Cooper. 50k on the clock.

Could this just be cool weather or is it something more serious ?

Edited by SC99 on 21/12/2019 at 22:06

Ok ,so we got the year. petrol or diesel ?

Sorry forgot to mention that it is petrol

Edited by SC99 on 21/12/2019 at 22:51

Probably normal on this engine ,which is the Prince, Peugeot derived motor. Does it use much engine oil ?

I posted on here a couple of months ago when I purchased the car because it was burning oil. The dealer refused to refund me and said he’d repair it. He told me it’s had new piston rings and valve seals. I’ve had the car back for about 3 weeks and done around 1000 miles. In that time, the oil appears to have dropped by about just under 1cm on the dipstick. However, I find the dipsticks awful on these cars and very hard to read and cannot be certain of this.
What he’s told you has been done and what has actually been done could be very different. Replacing piston rings on one of these is a massive job . I suspect he has fitted a s/hand engine , which is far cheaper. You’re right about the dipstick . Very difficult to read . I think the correct level is just below the top bump on the stick. Monitor the situation to see if it gets any worse.
MINI Cooper - Smoke during start up - is this normal? - Big John

From pervious bitter experience this sounds like oil running past the inlet or exhaust valve oil seals which drips down the valves after you have stopped (my 2.0 For Pinto engined kit car did this - when I once removed the exhaust maniforld you could even see the oil running down the valve stems) . Can be caused by failed seals/worn valves but usually will be a failed PCV valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve) - which iis a common fail and usually an easyish fix.

Edited by Big John on 23/12/2019 at 23:29

MINI Cooper - Smoke during start up - is this normal? - Avant

Best to see if you can flog it before it gets any more expensive. Minis don't age well, even with a comparatvely low mileage.