Honda Civic - Acceleration issue - Rattl

Hello,

I have a problem with my 2007 Civic 1.4 Petrol.

Engine runs perfect on idle position and there is no fault codes. The issue comes when I am driving and I change gears. After I release the clutch pedal and the gear is engaged, acceleration is intermittent and comes "in waves" for the first 2 seconds. Is like engine need need time to accommodate with the new gear until it stabilises and then acceleration and driving is nice and smooth until I change gear again. The worst being from 1st to second gear, and less severe from 2nd to third. From 3rd to 4th is barely noticeable.

If I release the clutch pedal very very slow the again issue is almost not noticeable.

In normal driving conditions it feels like somebody is playing with the break and your head will go back and forth few times in that 2 seconds on a regular pattern.

I can't record this feeling :) but I was able to record the rev (and the sound of engine) when I change gear.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-q9Z48y4sA

Does anyone know where is the issue?

Thank you for your time and I appreciate your support. :)

Honda Civic - Acceleration issue - elekie&a/c doctor

Could it be the clutch slipping?

I was thinking the same, however it doesn't feel like slipping but more like engage/disengage pattern which doesn't make sense. Why it would do that?

Edited by Rattl on 24/11/2019 at 21:03

Honda Civic - Acceleration issue - Bolt

I was thinking the same, however it doesn't feel like slipping but more like engage/disengage pattern which doesn't make sense. Why it would do that?

It could be if the clutch release bearing is worn or the pressure plate diaphram is weak ie the diaphragm is snaping open and closed

are the gears crunching slightly?

Edited by bolt on 24/11/2019 at 21:38

I don't know what is a crunching gear however there is another issue that I noticed and maybe related to this. Sometimes when i drive lets say with 30 miles per hour, I take my foot out of acceleration pedal for few seconds and then when I press it again (without changing any gear) it gives a very strong sharp acceleration like someone hit the car from behind. This is first impact when i touch the pedal, then the acceleration is smooth.

Honda Civic - Acceleration issue - edlithgow

Because its slipping?

I think that would be the "classical" explanation for these "classical" symptoms.

(But of course you felt it, I didn't.).

I dunno about the "new improved" forms of brokeness discussed below, never having enjoyed the benefits of such advanced automotive technology.

Poor me.

Hello,

I have a problem with my 2007 Civic 1.4 Petrol.

Engine runs perfect on idle position and there is no fault codes. The issue comes when I am driving and I change gears. After I release the clutch pedal and the gear is engaged, acceleration is intermittent and comes "in waves" for the first 2 seconds. Is like engine need need time to accommodate with the new gear until it stabilises and then acceleration and driving is nice and smooth until I change gear again. The worst being from 1st to second gear, and less severe from 2nd to third. From 3rd to 4th is barely noticeable.

If I release the clutch pedal very very slow the again issue is almost not noticeable.

In normal driving conditions it feels like somebody is playing with the break and your head will go back and forth few times in that 2 seconds on a regular pattern.

I can't record this feeling :) but I was able to record the rev (and the sound of engine) when I change gear.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-q9Z48y4sA

Does anyone know where is the issue?

Thank you for your time and I appreciate your support. :)

Not got the ECON button to on have you?, as that will give that response, personally I never use it but has been known to be switched on by accident, if it is will give green light on dash, it cuts down throttle response to save fuel

I can't see any ECON button or option on my model of civic. I rather think this is an mechanical issue

Honda Civic - Acceleration issue - focussed

Has the fuel filter ever been changed? It's quite an expensive item and not that easy to get at in the fuel tank. Costs over £60 but £52.99 from Coxes Honda.

Has the fuel filter ever been changed? It's quite an expensive item and not that easy to get at in the fuel tank. Costs over £60 but £52.99 from Coxes Honda.

Possible that, but did wonder if the throttle position sensor was out of sync with the ecu Honda sorted my 1.8 2010 S because it had slow response then suddenly accelerated on occasion, it was reset and was fine after that, just a possible

Is it possible to synch it by turning key on, not starting it, then pressing throttle slowly to the floor and slowly back to idle several times then switching off. This allows the ecu to "relearn" the TPS. Then starting in the normal way?

Edited by focussed on 25/11/2019 at 21:45

Is it possible to synch it by turning key on, not starting it, then pressing throttle slowly to the floor and slowly back to idle several times then switching off. This allows the ecu to "relearn" the TPS. Then starting in the normal way?

According to Honda the ecu has to be told to relearn the position of the throttle, so you need a diagnostics unit to do it.

but its the only time I have heard of it happening apart from the first 8th gen cars that came out that a few had faulty throttle sensors, its possible (ive not looked on youtube) which may know of a way?

Tried looking on you tube but no reference to that way of doing it, though it might be worth the OP giving it a go and will save money if it works.

most people I see on there do it through the method I mentioned, even though certain Honda dealers say it cant be done. I wonder why;)

The reason I mentioned it is that I had a similar story about having to use the HDS diagnostic system from Honda France to enable the headlamp levelling module to relearn the new LHD headlamp sender/leveller units on my Accord after being replaced for the french mot earlier this year.

They wanted to charge loadsamoney to do it and said I couldn't do the job properly without having the magical HDS - and also said I couldn't use the UK HDS system as it wouldn't work in france! Honda France dealer trying for makeyworky again!

I went ahead regardless, having disconnected the battery first, did the job and the headlamp levelling function is fine, having adjusted the headlamps mechanically first before reconnecting the battery.

Edited by focussed on 26/11/2019 at 20:51