What if I can't have a home charging point? - Bells House Bob

Hi All

Apologies up front for what will seem very basic questions, but I am new to the EV scene and even newer to the forum.

The time has come to replace my 2013 diesel Audi A6 Avant, and I want to be cleaner around town so am looking at getting an EV of some sort. Sensibly I have started with looking into a home charging point, as I live in a first floor flat in a rural manor house, but have been told by 3 providers that as we don't have a designated parking space written into our flat lease, they can't install anything. Is that true? I'm not going to start spending money on a solicitors bill to amend all the leases for our house, just so I can occasionally charge a car.

So, am I now only able to look at 'self charging' EVs, or can I run a plug-in hybrid purely by using the petrol motor to recharge on longer journeys?

I love the idea of less polution, but am struggling with the real world application, so suggestions / educational comments are welcome.

Thanks.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Engineer Andy

Hi All

Apologies up front for what will seem very basic questions, but I am new to the EV scene and even newer to the forum.

The time has come to replace my 2013 diesel Audi A6 Avant, and I want to be cleaner around town so am looking at getting an EV of some sort. Sensibly I have started with looking into a home charging point, as I live in a first floor flat in a rural manor house, but have been told by 3 providers that as we don't have a designated parking space written into our flat lease, they can't install anything. Is that true? I'm not going to start spending money on a solicitors bill to amend all the leases for our house, just so I can occasionally charge a car.

So, am I now only able to look at 'self charging' EVs, or can I run a plug-in hybrid purely by using the petrol motor to recharge on longer journeys?

I love the idea of less polution, but am struggling with the real world application, so suggestions / educational comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Essentially this is the problem that most people living in a flat (myself included) will face in this circumstance.

As regards 'at home' charging, the only way you'd be able to get this done is if the body responsible for running your block of flats/development (whether the local council, residents association and freeholder or A N Other [note this would NOT be the firm they employ to look after the place on a day-to-day basis]) either allows you (under certain tight criteria) to install a charging point entirely at your expense (unlikely) or institutes a new policy to install them development-wide, at the very least in 'designated EV charging' bays or areas.

Given the high cost of doing so (including suverying, legal costs [as you say] digging up roads and paths plus installing the unit [assuming there's room and the supply infrastructure to accept it and vandalism/general crime isn't that bad in the area]), I would say that it would be unlikely to be allowed on most developments unless the Residents Association was awash with cash (very unlikely). Annual maintenance costs (including repairs, especially if vandalised) would need to be factored in.

A council development would be the best bet, but even then it would likely be a basic unit (i.e. not a fast charger) and be a shared one, meaning it may not always be available, especially if other residents and visitors use that space as a general parking spot.

Generally there are not enough public charging points around towns and cities to accommodate every circumstance (especially if your workplace is nowhere near one and if that charging spot is in a not-so-nice area - risk of the car being vandalised or even stolen, especially as it will be out of view all day), so you'd be risking running out of juice if you bought an EV.

Do you really need an EV, i.e. is most of your journeys in town at slowish speeds in heavy traffic? Modern petrols are far cleaner than they used to be, and hybrids are now far more common. A PHEV (plu-in hybrid) could be an option but ONLY if you can find a convenient and secure charging point to charge up its smaller battery (than an EV). If you still do a reasonable amount of longer journeys on faster-flowing roads (in terms of overall distance), then a purely petrol engined car would be best, or a hybrid version would be an option.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - daveyjp

The freeholder could arrange for a charging point to be installed.

If it is too much hassle just go for a hybrid

What if I can't have a home charging point? - bazza

And this is the problem isnt it, for millions of people. The country just isn't ready for them en masse. And the purchase cost is still far too high as well, Id look for a Yaris hybrid as your best bet or Prius if you need more space.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - bathtub tom

A housing association employee told me about a resident who was insisting the association should provide a charging point for their new Tesla. The resident didn't have a garage, driveway or designated parking space. The resident was quietly informed that if they could afford a new Tesla then they shouldn't be living in a housing association property and no, the association would not be providing a charging point.

Although the OP does raise a good point about many properties not being suitable for EVs.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - badbusdriver

No such a thing as a self charging EV*. You get self charging hybrids, but if that is what you meant, i'm not sure why you'd then go on to ask if you should get a plug in hybrid? (especially when you can't plug it in).

Take the Kia Niro as an example, this is available as a self charging hybrid, a plug in hybrid, and as an EV. The cheapest model is the self charging version which starts off at £24950, the plug in is next from (and i was surprised how much of a jump this is) £31945, and the EV version which (taking into account the grant) starts at £32995.

Realistically, (if you feel you must go electric, albeit partly) your options are to get a self charging hybrid, or to move somewhere with either a dedicated parking space or a driveway.

*An electric (and hybrid) car will use regenerative braking to top up the battery, but there is no way that would harvest the amount of energy needed to avoid plugging it in to charge.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Bells House Bob

*An electric (and hybrid) car will use regenerative braking to top up the battery, but there is no way that would harvest the amount of energy needed to avoid plugging it in to charge.

Thanks badbusdriver, that is exactly what I needed to know. As I said, I'm new to the EV / Hybrid terminology

What if I can't have a home charging point? - thunderbird

Having looked into this last year when we got the last car I can 100% tell you financially it does not work and environmentally it is debatable if it helps.

The cheapest self charging hybrid was the Kia Niro, about £22,000 and would probably have done 45 mpg according to owners on the Kia Owners website. HJ Real mpg suggests nearer 57 mpg but I suspect Kia themselves have been submitting those figures. Decent enough car but did not set the world on fire for us.

Instead we bought a Nissan Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T. Not a world beater but nice to drive, very spacious and performs very well. So far its averaged about 35 mpg (HJ says 39 mpg which we have matched on a long run once). Cost us £12,000 brand new when the model was discontinued.

So we were £10,000 better off but are spending more on fuel. A quick tap on the calculator and using HJ's 57 mpg for the Niro and our 35 mpg for the Pulsar suggests that it would take about 150,000 miles to recoup that £10,000. Using the owners figure of 45 mpg and it would take nearer 300,000 miles.

And that is without taking into account loss of interest on the £10,000 or extra interest on a £10,000 loan.

Hybrids only benefit business users who save on their tax liabilities, they are of no benefit to private buyers at present.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Mike H

Hybrids only benefit business users who save on their tax liabilities, they are of no benefit to private buyers at present.

We have a Honda CR-V Hybrid which, until the cold weather arrived, was returning a long term average of 47mpg brim to brim - not bad for a heavy automatic 2 litre SUV. The equivalent non-hybrid in the Honda range would struggle to hit 40mpg, plus the Hybrid is an excellent drive. A quick calculation shows that I'm saving around £54 per year. I'm quite content that I'm helping the environment, plus getting a better drive, which works for me. Financially it makes little difference, the Hybrid is only around £800 more expensive at the top end of the range. Worth paying in my mind.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - galileo

And this is the problem isnt it, for millions of people. The country just isn't ready for them en masse. And the purchase cost is still far too high as well, Id look for a Yaris hybrid as your best bet or Prius if you need more space.

A further observation, a local Lidl has a charging point in the car park, clearly marked "electric vehicles only".

Four out of my last five visits a non-electric car has been parked in this spot (it is after all, one of those nearest to the store entrance) and unsurprisingly most of these cars were Audis.

The same problem will occur with any charging point which doesn't have a secure, private location. If you turned it off when not using it, the sort who tried it and found it dead would be the type to vandalise it in frustration.

Most freeholders only want you to pay them money, i.e. ground rent or money (a real wheeze) for 'permission' to own a dog, put a new hole through the wall of your flat for a new boiler flue, etc etc.

No way will they pay up front several £0000s to install a secure EV charger (roadway costs etc included), as it would take them decades to make their money back, if ever.

Besides, they'd have to do it for everyone or in spaces not designated to a property to be fair to all, because then they would charge everyone the same uplift in ground rent, but even that would have to go through several expensive legal hurdles and have all the lease agreements changed, assuming everyone agreed to it, which they wouldn't (because most people don't have EVs to get the benefit of the charger).

I suspect the freeholder would, assuming they naively agree to install the charger, have to charge the users a small fortune to use it so they could quickly pay off their investment and start making some money. It would likely make it unaffordable for the users, then the freeholder would be saddled with a white elephant. Same goes if those wanting the charger moved home. No-one would want to pay for a facility they don't use if it costs a lot.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Terry W

Interesting problem - no immediate solutions but there are changes that could be made to the legislative framework to help solve the problem in the future:

1. Where parking spaces are provided in new build properties mandate that xx% are dedicated to rechargeable vehicles
  2. Energy companies - they install the charging points and charge users accordingly. Only need would be for freeholder to give permission and leases amended (possibly) to ensure that spaces are dedicated to rechargeable vehicles
  3. At least ensure that with any new or major upgrade work that power is run on-site even if the recharging units are not connected. It then becomes fairly straightforward to add units as demand increases

All this assumes demand will increase. At the moment EVs are not financially viable - but in 10 years time battery capacity/efficiency may have improved radically, fast charging feasible, or battery packs with some kind of quick change capability available.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - sammy1

The government are sitting on the fence as regards any commitment to a charging infrastructure. Tesla are going their own way to support their customers but largely on the Motorways.

You have a quality car in your Avant which should last you some years yet. The environment damage is not just what comes out of the tailpipe. The build in the first place and the build of any replacement should be considered if you have serious concerns. Also your intended mileage in your car. One individuals effort to reduce emissions although very creditable is but a drop in the ocean.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Andrew-T
  1. Where parking spaces are provided in new build properties mandate that xx% are dedicated to rechargeable vehicles.

But as has been said above, how do you prevent users of non-EVs from parking there when other spaces are not available? We all know human nature.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - daveyjp

Pure EV is still in early stages, but advances are rapid.

If you were a car manufacturer would you back "Betamax" or "VHS" at this stage of the game?

In a few years slow home charging could be Betamax. Rapid charger with 150 miles added range in 5 minutes at a petrol station forecourt could be VHS.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - oldroverboy.

VHS won the publicity war, but Betamax was acknowledged to be the better product.

Marketing Marketing!

By the way, What is the Warranty and proposed use life of a charger..

Every other device I have at home seems to have a working life of 3-5 years

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Avant

VHS / Betamax is a good parallel, because we have now moved on from both.

The equivalent of CDs or streaming has to be some form of remote charging, so that the city dweller living in a flat or terrace(who benefits most from driving an EV, as arguably does the environment) is somehow able to 'beam' electricity from their home to the car parked in the street.

Impossible? 50 years ago we wouldn't have thought that the Internet was possible.

VHS / Betamax is a good parallel, because we have now moved on from both.

The equivalent of CDs or streaming has to be some form of remote charging, so that the city dweller living in a flat or terrace(who benefits most from driving an EV, as arguably does the environment) is somehow able to 'beam' electricity from their home to the car parked in the street.

Impossible? 50 years ago we wouldn't have thought that the Internet was possible.

Well, technically the internet was in use many decades ago, before Tim Berners-Lee 'invented' it, as NATO was using linked computers over many countries to co-ordinate its operations, including storing and accessing remote data around the world.

Whilst wireless charging is a reality, 'beaming' large amounts of electricity where humans etc pass by is inherently dangerous (and not the same as the tech which is being tested for charging when cars drive on roads where there's nothing in between the car and the road when activated (and at a low level).

I am reminded of a story from a former colleague in the Building Services industry where a worker on a roof of a building was cold, so he stood in front of the building's microwave transmitter (those you used to see on the BT tower in London or suchlike) to keep warm. Needless to say, this didn't end well for the bloke.

It may well be that some new tech is viable for use with flats and terraced housing and is cheap and secure, but we are nowhere near that at present, nor are EVs viable withour significant subsidies and despite this, still currently only benefit the well-off. Bring it to the masses now would, in my view, be a bad move. Subsidies should be cut as the tech improves.

1. Where parking spaces are provided in new build properties mandate that xx% are dedicated to rechargeable vehicles.

But as has been said above, how do you prevent users of non-EVs from parking there when other spaces are not available? We all know human nature.

...or that people without EVs should ask why they should pay more in ground rent, management fees or the price of their home (including general rent) for a service they don't use?

If people owning EVs want charging facilities, let them pay for them themselves, including having a home that has the land and legal allowances to install one. Why should the rest of us pay for that if we cannot (afford to) benefit from it?

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Bromptonaut

Are there grants for freeholders to add charging points?

Are there grants for freeholders to add charging points?

Even if there are, unless they make up well over 90% of the cost of installing and maintaining them (don't forget they have no guarantee of continued usage to pay for its upkeep), why should any of them shell out potentially £00ks for someone else's benefit? Again, currently subsidising this tech only benefits wealthier people who by all accounts can already afford to pay for it all themselves.

By all means give some tax breaks whilst its in development if the government can see a future in reducing carbon emissions this way, by using taxpayers money to subsidise the wealthy?

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Avant

Thanks Andy for explaining where we are on remote charging. It may happen one day but as you say not yet.

It make one realise that Toyota are getting it right in concentrating on what they quite cleverly call the 'self-charging hybrid' - the same formula that they've been selling for over 20 years.

I'm attracted by the idea of a plug-in hybrid, as I do lots of 8- to 10-mile round trips and also two or three long runs a month. But they cost a lot more in the first place (thus negating the benefit on short trips), and I'm not sure that they would be any more economical on a long run.

I'm attracted by the idea of a plug-in hybrid, as I do lots of 8- to 10-mile round trips and also two or three long runs a month. But they cost a lot more in the first place (thus negating the benefit on short trips), and I'm not sure that they would be any more economical on a long run.

Yes, i didn't realise quite how much more a plug in hybrid cost over a self charging (assuming the Kia prices i mentioned earlier are typical). If you add the cost of buying and installing a charger at home to the (nearly £7k) extra cost for the plug in Niro, i wonder if there is a finacial argument for it?, probably not. Thankfully though there are folk out there who don't view such things purely from a financial point of view, they just want to 'do their bit'.

I'd do it too if i had the means, so good for them!.

Thanks Andy for explaining where we are on remote charging. It may happen one day but as you say not yet.

It make one realise that Toyota are getting it right in concentrating on what they quite cleverly call the 'self-charging hybrid' - the same formula that they've been selling for over 20 years.

I agree for the buyer who does mostly short runs, they certainly could be a worthwhile option, especially as they have a far small battery pack than an EV and thus would not take as long to charge, or require a faster (7kW or better) charger at either home or when out and about, though I would hope that they come with adapters for each type of connection (including standard 230V electrical sockets).

That would certainly help on longer runs when you could stop for 15 mins at a motorway service stop and not need to hang around for another 30 - 45 mins to wait for the car to finish charging.

The main downside is that it is unlikely the battery pack will be leased (it could be) like in an increasing number of EVs, which would offset the future cost of its replacemnt for secondhand buyers who wouldn't be able to afford to replace it.

I suspect the significant price premium for plug-in hybrids is starting to reflect this flexibility for the low-mileage driver with fewer concerns over budget.

Do these versions charge the ordinary battery as well when plugged in?

What if I can't have a home charging point? - Terry W

Right now hybrids and EVs generally make:

• no financial sense,
  • limited practical sense given charging infrastructures,
  • questionable environmental sense - electricity needs to be generated

The real question is whether they could make sense in the future if battery technology, charging infrastructures, and energy generation are significantly improved.

If the answer to that question is "yes" then then the right incentives need to be legislated and funded to enable it to happen. This could include, for instance, charging points fitted with number plate recognition so that any rogue vehicles not charging could be fined.

The transition to this automotive nirvana will take a decade or more, not happen over just one or two years.

A little like the election fibre broadband promises - technology in the form of 5G could rapidly render hard cabled networks obselete inside a decade.

Similarly a high level of confidence is needed in the future of hybrids and EVs to justify the initial investment and hassle. But nothing is certain - we all have a different crystal ball!

Right now hybrids and EVs generally make:

• no financial sense,
  • limited practical sense given charging infrastructures,
  • questionable environmental sense - electricity needs to be generated

You, and one or two others here remind me of instances in last 20 years where we had massive change at work; abolition/reform of government functions.

Theory is that in early stages change will be met by anger and resistance - 'it'll never work' or 'they cannot do without us' were two common reactions. More here:

https://www.illumine.co.uk/2014/01/common-reactions-of-employees-when-organisational-changes-take-place/

It still happened, we got reformed or abolished and he sky didn't fall in.

The reality with EVs is it's already happening. Remember that a large proportion of cars these days are leased or on PCP. Are the PCP rates for EVs or Hybrids silly? Now that range is topping 200 miles then daily commuters can top up overnight. Overnight charging also eases the generation issue and while we'll never eliminate fossil fuels from electricity generation the proportion from wind/solar/renewables is rising all the time.

It's happening. Lots of problems but none are insoluble.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - madf

Winter is insoluble.

EV ranges halve - or more - due to heating etc...

Just imagine a 12 hour traffic jam on a motorway in winter with EVs running out of charge as heaters are used...(which they will be)

What if I can't have a home charging point? - alan1302

Winter is insoluble.

Just imagine a 12 hour traffic jam on a motorway in winter with EVs running out of charge as heaters are used...(which they will be)

Yet, the problem of heating an electric car in winter is no insoluble.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - mss1tw

They could have a separate heater unit. Some sort of internal combustion arrangement.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - bathtub tom

They could have a separate heater unit. Some sort of internal combustion arrangement.

I wonder if you could use red diesel to fuel it?

Winter is insoluble.

That with respect is exactly the type of response that arises in the change at work scenario I used. Something theoretically possible once in a blue moon is somehow going to derail a whole programme of change. A 12 hour winter jam would see dozens of ICE cars with no fuel or a choice of heat now v stranded later.

As others point out it's not insoluble; in places where such standings are a real possibility then no doubt auxiliary heat from diesel or kerosene would be an option.

I also think halving of range in winter, at least normal UK winter, is grossly overstated.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - madf

Winter is insoluble.

That with respect is exactly the type of response that arises in the change at work scenario I used. Something theoretically possible once in a blue moon is somehow going to derail a whole programme of change. A 12 hour winter jam would see dozens of ICE cars with no fuel or a choice of heat now v stranded later.

As others point out it's not insoluble; in places where such standings are a real possibility then no doubt auxiliary heat from diesel or kerosene would be an option.

I also think halving of range in winter, at least normal UK winter, is grossly overstated.

Maybe for a new battery.

And when the battery loses 30% capacity after 5 years?

What if I can't have a home charging point? - alan1302

Maybe for a new battery.

And when the battery loses 30% capacity after 5 years?

Where are your figures coming from?

I've seen figures like that in many newspaper reports that refer to technical literature. The atual claims I've seen today mostly refer household rechargeable batteries that are only guaranteed to not lose more than 30% in 5 years.

We did have another thread where we discovered what the guarantee was for Nissan Leafs (the latest one) batteries. I can't recall what it was though, but I think it was less than Toyota's, although that might be as regards failures rather than min. capacity/range.

We did have another thread where we discovered what the guarantee was for Nissan Leafs (the latest one) batteries. I can't recall what it was though, but I think it was less than Toyota's, although that might be as regards failures rather than min. capacity/range.

8 years or 100k miles (whichever comes first). But there was that Nissan Leaf taxi in, i think, Cornwall, which had done 100k miles in a fairly short space of time (3 years maybe?) and had, allegedly, no battery degredation.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - bazza

For some of the driving population, myself included, a used EV is starting to look almost feasible, but only as a second car. A used Leaf can be had for about £6K. If one assumed the range on a used one to be even as low as 80 or 90 miles, that's still plenty for 99% of my journeys. I have another petrol car for long journeys across the country. I can charge it at home every night, just like my phone and according to most of the online data, I can save about £1000 a year on fuel and tax. There's no oil changes, cambelts, exhausts etc to think about. Obviously if the battery pack fails, I'm looking at £4500 to replace, but this figure will apparently halve as refurbished packs become available. By all accounts, failure is very rare and factory warranty is 8 years anyway. £4500 seems a lot of money but it's no different from a recon engine or gearbox on any modern hatch. So I do think the economics are changing, but for me at least, I'd probably stick with a used small petrol motor for now, simply because £6K buys a much newer small petrol hatch. But food for thought and I'm keeping an eye on it.

£4.5k can get you a nice reliable C-sector car which would last another 5 years minimum. Don't forget that EVs STILL have suspension parts, wheel bearings (both of which take more of a beating and are more expensive because an EV is heavier than an ICE car of the same size), air-conditiong/heater/ventilation systems, all the usual radio, satnav, gizmos (including safety stuff) that can go wrong and/or need regular maintenence/repair.

Besides, unless you have a special 7kW+ home charger, you won't be able to fully charge your EV (even one with a lower [original] capacity battery - don't forget just because the range might be half what it used to be, it STILL takes the same time to charge as it originally did to its original max level, maybe more) overnight on a standard 230V (3kW) wall socket.

Nor is one going to be particularly secure or IP rated for rainproofing - i.e. you'll have to run the cable through either an open window or (if you have one spare) from a socket in your garage (if you have one).

I didn't find any Leaf for £6k on HJ's second hand sales area, and the closest was a 2011 model (out of its EV warranty as its 8 years old) for £7k. If you bought privately, you'd have no general warranty you'd get from a dealer (and its seems most of these older cars are at most only available from little indie dealers, so only a 6mo warranty at most, if you can trust them at all) and you'd have to check to see whether the car has been serviced/maintained on schedule solely at a Nissan dealer, as if not, it could easily invalidate the warranty, especially the battery.

Note also that gen-1 Leafs have apparently had issue with overheating battery packs in hot weather (admitedly more so in hot countries, but we do have hot weather in the UK) as they don't come with special cooling equipment as newer EVs do.

Bear in mind that you still have to pay for the electricty to charge it - much less than petrol, but not insigificant.

And there's the issue with far lower range in cold weather, and the lack of charging facilities around the country, including what you do when the car is nearly out of juice but the charging point you've got to doesn't work or has a long queue.

It ain't as easy as you think, as if it was, we'd all be buying them.

What if I can't have a home charging point? - HGV ~ P Valentine

Tis is the issue with electric cars, which is why hybrid is the way to go, I do not know much about home charging as I can imagine the cost of the electric would prob be enormous, please let us know how you resolve this.

Tis is the issue with electric cars, which is why hybrid is the way to go, I do not know much about home charging as I can imagine the cost of the electric would prob be enormous, please let us know how you resolve this.

Best to look for facts rather than making decisions based on imaginings....

Home charging at fast rate needs more than a 13amp plug but there are grants to help with additional cost.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electric-vehicle-homecharge-scheme-vehicle-applications

Best to look for facts rather than making decisions based on imaginings....

Home charging at fast rate needs more than a 13amp plug but there are grants to help with additional cost.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electric-vehicle-homecharge-scheme-vehicle-applications

As I understand it, home chargers come in either 3.5kW (not that much higher output to a standard 13A/230V/3kW wall socket) or 7kW flavours, meaning that they are probably best suited to plug-in hybrids or smaller EVs that have smaller battery packs. For eligable cars, the government currently pays up to 75% (capped at £500) of the installation cost.

A quick check on the Interweb appeared to show such costs amount to a minimum of £275 (with the £500 taken off), and that's for the simplest install conditions, i.e. no groundworks, extensive recabling in walls, etc, etc involved. It could end up being a LOT more, especially for older homes and/or ones maxed out (or very near to) on their existing incoming electrical supply via the consumer unit. For people living in rented or leasehold accomodation, extra costs may be required to gain permission, if they allowed to do this at all (some may not be).

People wanting to buy a large full-on EV such as a Tesla or similar sized car would likely find that such socket outlets will not charge their car overnight, smaller/lower capacity cars like Leafs would probably be just about ok on the higher output charger. This would likely only be an issue if your destination doesn't have decent charging facilities and/or you're going on a long journey where access to (fast and operational) public chargers is not guaranteed.

I'd certainly check to see what type/capacity of home charger can/is allowed to be installed (if at all), just in case the costs are very high due to the specific circumstances (this may require a survey, which may need paying for) or they aren't allowed.

At present, I would at most go for a PHEV, but to be honest, unless its run on the battery nearly all the time, the eeconomics current don't stack up over the lifetime of the car vs standard hybrids or especially efficient petrol/diesel cars suited to the usage pattern.

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - Bromptonaut

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/05/electric-car-ways-to-charge

Obviously not all of these are ready to roll but they give some idea of where technology is going.

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - Engineer Andy

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/05/electric-car-ways-to-charge

Obviously not all of these are ready to roll but they give some idea of where technology is going.

True, but there are still many, many problems to iron out on the technical side (if they even can be), and the logistical and usage issues certainly haven't been, as I've mentioned before:

1. Lamp post-borne chargers are susceptible to vandalism (especially the cables), lamp posts themselves don't cover the number of cars out there in the density they need where they are mostly parked, and, given what I know about how wuickly/well councils attend to faulty street lights etc, I'm not optimistic over these being reliable.

I also suspect that the £1k per unit cost is allowed for if you install many hundreds in one go, not a few here and there. In addition, the slow level of charging they provide (assuming they work at all or correctly when used [a growing problem with public chargers, I hear]) will not provide much charge for those needing to go on a longer journey.

2. The induction tech is very expensive, and I certainly wouldn't want to walk over one with an induction-tech mobile phone in my pocket. Road-borne ones would also be very susceptible to damage from vehicles and could only be installed in low speed locations, e.g. car parks or 20mph zones, as you imagine accelerating or overtaking (pulling out to) and having to drive over one of these things protunding from the road - very dangerous.

Even if they were to be flush with the road, adding them in, like big manholes everywhere, would also inttorduce yet more weak points in the road surface, which would break up more readily along the joins during wet/icy/snowy weather, again costing yet more moeny to fix, and could lead to more damager of both the road an units if not fixed immediately.

3. The other types are just variations on the first and have similar issues, plus the expense of building or converting and maintaining them, including damage from vandalism/improper use.

I'm not trying to be Mr Glass-half-empty here, but we need to be realistic, including as regards the electricity generation issue, especially in the long darker, colder nights half the year when 'green' electricity generation levels are very low because of their inherrant weaknesses in that time of year (little sun, cold, wind in winter blows far less, wind in autumn and spring very variable and often too strong).

I think that we shouldn't just see EVs etc as an issue on their own, but in the round with others such as over-population (and rapid incresaes in) and the huge problems they cause generally, but specifically regarding energy usage, housing and transportation, as well as the increasing distance many of the population have to live from where they work as a result of these issues and others.

We should be looking at demand for energy and transport as much as 'sticking plaster' efforts to reduce pollution, especially when quite often all we are doing is moving it from urban areas to the countryside and coastal areas where power stations are located - which is unfair to locals, given it's the urban people that are causing most of these problems.

We should not be jumping on 'virtuous bandwagons' because ill-informed politicians, lobby groups for firms making/using the tech (to boost profits any way possible) 'environmental activists' (more liley these days to be pseudo politicians by another name) and (yes) civil servants want us to, just as we were 'encouraged' to all buy diesel cars back around the turn of the century depsite there already being credible science out there that showed the significant detrimental health effects of particulate emissions from diesel vehicles and poor suitability to urban usage generally.

I especially do not trust journalists on this, because the vast majority ARE journalists because they aren't any good at academic subjects and some obviously are writing articles with a political agenda in mind (I also have regularly picked apart the so-called 'science correspondents' in the Telegraph for their lack of knowledge and naive views, so I'm not doing so for just purely right-of-centre political reasons).

Sadly, too many scientists and (worse still) more engineers than used to be the case are jumping on the bandwagon rather than taking a long, dispationate view about all this tech and issues, often because it suits their own political agenda.

Jus' sayin'.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 23/11/2019 at 11:54

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - madf

" we need to be realistic, including as regards the electricity generation issue, especially in the long darker, colder nights half the year when 'green' electricity generation levels are very low because of their inherrant weaknesses in that time of year (little sun, cold, wind in winter blows far less, wind in autumn and spring very variable and often too strong)"

40 to 50% of our power comes from 39 gas stations (Ccgt).

National Grid

As I write 12.00am Saturday.. solar power is virtually nil. I have seen at least 3 nights this winter so far where wind is nil as well...

ANyone planning to be carbon neutral by 2030 (the Greens) need to start replacing those 39 power stations from tomorrow.. with what? The technology to store vast amounts of electricity is very expensive and totally inadequate to day and for teh forseeable 3-5 years...

And EVs charging at night will exacerbate the issue..

Edited by madf on 23/11/2019 at 12:11

Exactly. The 2030 stuff/Green New Deal advocated by the Green Party, Labour (well, it depedns on who's speaking and the day of the week at present) and in the US nutty Marxists like AOC and her 'squad' from the nuLefty 'Democrats' is really (AOC even admitted this herself) is just a cover-up to get her hardline Marxist agenda on the statue book, and nothing more - most if not all of the 'green stuff' in there is meaningles twaddle with no scientific basis.

Exactly. The 2030 stuff/Green New Deal advocated by the Green Party, Labour (well, it depedns on who's speaking and the day of the week at present) and in the US nutty Marxists like AOC and her 'squad' from the nuLefty 'Democrats' is really (AOC even admitted this herself) is just a cover-up to get her hardline Marxist agenda on the statue book, and nothing more - most if not all of the 'green stuff' in there is meaningles twaddle with no scientific basis.

Not even the American right thinks AOC is a Marxist. She's a lefty in a mould that would be utterly unremarkable in Labour or any other democratic socialist party in Europe.

Labour's manifesto aspires to to achieve the substantial majority of our emissions reductions by 2030. It recognises there will be more work after that date.

IMHO 2030 is a decent aiming point to achieve something really meaningful by 2040. Government's 2050 is just can kicking.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 23/11/2019 at 15:49

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - Terry W

Lots of negative vibes on here for which their is some justification, but there are things that could be done. I think the Green Party are hugely naive in their 2030 goal of carbon neutral - even over 20 years it will involve material changes to infrastructure, expectations and behaviours.

1. Although there are days when wind and sun are limited, PV will continue to generate at 15-20% efficiency. No wind does = no power
  2. No account is taken of tidal schemes - if we are serious about CO2 we need to sacrifice a bit of wildlife, build the Severn barrage and other smaller local schemes
  3. We need to ensure all new developments - housing and commercial - are built to optimum standard of energy efficiency, not what building companies think they can get away with.
  4. These developments should also be cabled and powered for EVs. Incorporating this in the build would be a fraction of the cost of upgrading post completion
  5. We need to make it easy for people to move home if they move job rather than extend their commute. Carrots - eliminate stamp duty, no VAT on legal and other fees, school places available, etc. Sticks - tolls on roads during rush hours.
  6. Tax all new petrol/diesel cars - subsidise EVs to make them financially viable
  7. Smaller more local schools to reduce school run congestion and travel.. Teachers to travel between sites for less popular subjects.
  8. Local smaller hospitals to do routine work - regional centres only for highly specialised care.
  9. VAT free energy saving home improvements.
  10. Increased taxes on energy actually used to pay for the above.

All these rely upon a high level of confidence that:

• carbon (CO2, methane etc) is responsible for damaging climate change
  • overall energy consumption needs to be massively reduced so nuclear and green sources can generate the output required
  • that EVs are part of a solution that minimises in town pollution
  • that EVs can enable zero carbon in a way the petrol/diesel cannot

Ban fast streaming on teh internet.. It takes aLOT of energy.

Stop flying.

Ban cruise ships.

Those will have immediate effects.. And substantial ones.

Zero spending required.

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - sandy56

Lets all go back to living in caves and using candles of animal fat, and dying in the winter.

Lets all go back to living in caves and using candles of animal fat, and dying in the winter.

This is precisely what will happen if we either:

• immediately go zero carbon without putting in the infrastructure first
  • what will slowly happen to most of us (or children, grandchildren, great...) over time if we continue to consume as we currently do.

Being mid 60s with good pension means I could carry on over consuming with no personal consequences of our failure to plan. I will probably be long gone before keeping warm, fed, clothed, housed etc becomes a personal problem.

If you don't believe the threats of climate change, pollution, war and disease are credible, carry on as normal. But future generations will suffer the consequences if you are wrong.

So doing something to mitigate the risk now is similar to an each way bet - in my view a good strategy which gives the best prospect of not having to resort to caves, animal fats, decaying water, sewage and power infrastructures etc.

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - thunderbird

• what will slowly happen to most of us (or children, grandchildren, great...) over time if we continue to consume as we currently do.

Being mid 60s with good pension means I could carry on over consuming with no personal consequences of our failure to plan. I will probably be long gone before keeping warm, fed, clothed, housed etc becomes a personal problem.

If you don't believe the threats of climate change, pollution, war and disease are credible, carry on as normal. But future generations will suffer the consequences if you are wrong.

So doing something to mitigate the risk now is similar to an each way bet - in my view a good strategy which gives the best prospect of not having to resort to caves, animal fats, decaying water, sewage and power infrastructures etc.

Mid 60's myself and totally agree with the above.

Whilst the recent change in global temperatures that have resulted in the melting of the ice caps may be just a blip totally unconnected to human activities it is totally crazy to carry on as we have been doing and simply bury our heads in the sand. If we take action now what have we got to loose, tha's right absolutely nothing. We may be too late but that is no excuse to simply carry on.

There will always be detractors to what seems obvious to most people with the ability to see what has been happening, just look at the idiot in the Whitehouse. But one idiot should not stop action now which is what is required.

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - Bolt

Mid 60's myself and totally agree with the above.

Whilst the recent change in global temperatures that have resulted in the melting of the ice caps may be just a blip totally unconnected to human activities it is totally crazy to carry on as we have been doing and simply bury our heads in the sand. If we take action now what have we got to loose, tha's right absolutely nothing. We may be too late but that is no excuse to simply carry on.

There will always be detractors to what seems obvious to most people with the ability to see what has been happening, just look at the idiot in the Whitehouse. But one idiot should not stop action now which is what is required.

What action do you suggest?, plenty talk about action, no one has mentioned what action, its all talk so far and there are no more idiots in the Whitehouse than was in our ex government or should I say future

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - sammy1

Sacking the "Air Miles Prince" in the Palace is a good start!!

Simple actions:

Bottle and can recycling.. money back systems as in other parts of Europe..

Plastic packaging tax: 25% of value of all packaging used.. Used to fiance a refund system for consumers to return packaging.. (cost neutral to average consumers).

Ditto carbboard.

Stop EV subsidies for all cars with List Price >? £30k.. And scaled down so the lower priced an EV and based on range is, the higher the subsidy..

Tax airline fulel. And tankering of fuel into the UK carries a treble charge - to prevent flying into UK and leaving using cheap fueil.

Stop ALL building on flood [lains.

Dredge rivers. Abolish Enevironment Agency. Devolve to County Councils.. And fund based on audited results for each county. So no actions = no money.. (The EA is absolutley us on flood defence etc) All monies ringfenced..

And so on.

Introduce targetted systems which encourage good behaviour and penalise heavily bad.. So developers cutting down any tree face a cost of (say £10k per tree and the requirement to plant five more.. penalty for not doing so .. £25k per tree.

Any supermarkje'shopt selling food either contaminated/ not as described/ illegal faces hugfe fines - to encourage them to ensure their suppliers are meenting envirnomental standards And each subsequent conviction results in fines doubling each time..

We have to encourage business to do the right thing.. SO ensusure those who don't pay for it..

And a carbon tax on imported fodo milas..apparently Tesco buy chicken formThailand - apprently standards higher than many UK farmers...

And finally take away food.

EVERY takeaway outlet has to use packkaging with its name on it. And each item found dumped on the road etc etc will acry an automatic £5 fine for the outlet chain..Fines dounble after teh first 500i a year... Don;t use packaging with your name on? Closure of that outlet permanently.

Apologies : suing 5 year old glasses.. normal ones broken..

Edited by madf on 24/11/2019 at 19:15

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - alan1302

Simple actions:

EVERY takeaway outlet has to use packkaging with its name on it. And each item found dumped on the road etc etc will acry an automatic £5 fine for the outlet chain..Fines dounble after teh first 500i a year... Don;t use packaging with your name on? Closure of that outlet permanently.

I do like quite a few of your ideas and they make good sense but this one is ridiculous - it's the person dropping it causing the issue not the takeaway - that would just encourage some people to drop more on the floor.

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - corax

Simple actions:

I do like quite a few of your ideas and they make good sense but this one is ridiculous - it's the person dropping it causing the issue not the takeaway - that would just encourage some people to drop more on the floor.

A better way would be to make all food packaging compostible, so that if it's dropped somewhere it will decompose regardless. You're never going to stop some half wits from dropping rubbish, so it would be a failsafe approach.

Simple actions:

A better way would be to make all food packaging compostible, so that if it's dropped somewhere it will decompose regardless. You're never going to stop some half wits from dropping rubbish, so it would be a failsafe approach.

I think most packaging is going down that road now.

EVERY takeaway outlet has to use packkaging with its name on it. And each item found dumped on the road etc etc will acry an automatic £5 fine for the outlet chain..Fines dounble after teh first 500i a year

if that were to happen most will be bankrupt in a month, I assume your area doesn't see much litter, where I am its really bad and often have to drive through it, I suspect even if litter bins were sponsored not many would use them most are too lazy to walk to a bin:(

Unfortunately most of the 'suggestions' by politicians (mainly on the far left-hand side of the political aisle) are plain daft and often (AOC & Co in US and quite a bit of the Corbynite/Green Party policy) really about their political ideology than sensible, credible ideas that won't bankrupt the nation/whole world or do very little.

Ordinary people likel ourselves often come up with far better ideas, especially as we have less of a political agenda to force on us all or to make us lots of money if we owned a 'green tech' firm. A Pity none of these groupings listen to us. And they wonder why more and people are turning away from politicians and the MSM.

Many of the technically and financially feasible propositions are off limits politically as either:

• it makes life superficially inconvenient for the voters
  • it denies companies the freedoms they previously enjoyed to manufacture, promote and sell their products.

Politicians don't like this as they lose votes and party funding. So they play around at the edges, making a lot of positives noises, doing and achieving almost nothing.

There are political exceptions - notably the Greens, They are very clear what needs to be done, but can't work out how to afford it without consigning most of the UK back to the middle ages.

Ordinary people likel ourselves often come up with far better ideas, especially as we have less of a political agenda to force on us all or to make us lots of money if we owned a 'green tech' firm. A Pity none of these groupings listen to us. And they wonder why more and people are turning away from politicians and the MSM.

An idea is just an idea though - you need a full solution to the problem - one that can be properly costed and will actually do everything it sets out to do and keeps as many people as happy as possible - easier said than done. The government/MPs do get a very bad rep for things but managing how the country runs and trying to get things working properly and within a budget will never be an easy task.

Here in the UK you always get into politics a dn try and get these ideas going - even starting out as a local Councillor but I would think it a thankless task for many as you will never please everyone and always have people moaning about how useless you are.

and within a budget will never be an easy task.

made worse by the fact that certain sums promised to assist certain groups are not actually extra, its merely partly making up for the loss of cash that should have been given years ago, which means to catch up they need to put a lot more in, which they wont do, but are experts at making it sound like they are giving a fortune away

and to think they may get back in again and continue the same old story, but everyone loves it?

An idea is just an idea though - you need a full solution to the problem - one that can be properly costed and will actually do everything it sets out to do and keeps as many people as happy as possible - easier said than done. The government/MPs do get a very bad rep for things but managing how the country runs and trying to get things working properly and within a budget will never be an easy task.

Here in the UK you always get into politics a dn try and get these ideas going - even starting out as a local Councillor but I would think it a thankless task for many as you will never please everyone and always have people moaning about how useless you are.

I already am - I am one of about 8 or so vounteer residents living on my (private) development who essentially are unpaid 'councillors' on the Residents Association, ensuring it is looked after properly.

As regards becoming (running) a town or district councillor, sorry, but none of the local poilitical parties are any good adn are very cliquey (hence why so makny people are turned away from such things and are distrustful of all of them), so pointless joining. Being an honest person with integrity gets you sidelined these days, meaning you have no influence over anything.

This wouldn't be so bad had it not been for most of the general public to not bother with local politics/council works unless it directly affects them. Being an independent mean you have no influence - you either stay like that (often for years, assuming people don't just get bored and go back to the mainstream parties, especially when elections coicide with national ones) or you severely compormise your values and do grubby deals behind closed doors in order to get 'power'

Often its little more than a title or a meaningless position plus some £££ for something anyone with two braincells could do (which says a LOT about the quality of people who work for councils, mainly the bureaucrats, and the other councillors). And you get little to no thanks when things do go right, and all the blame when things (often) don't, even though its the incompetents you are forced to work with (and can't sack) that are mostly at fault.

Believe me, I KNOW what it's like - I've been a 'resident director' for over 10 years now, and I'm thinking of jacking it in and moving away because it's a thankless task and most other people don't care two hoots most of the time, never mind (despite being politely informed) what the role involves.

Other directors often shut down good ideas because it means them then having to do some actual work for once and especially having to take responsibility for decisions and their consequences, often because they involve short-to-medium term pain (not that much) for large long term gains. It's amazing how this sort of attitude is replciated all the way up the chain in politics. People want quick, cheap fixes which are mostly sticking plaster jobs which rarely work long term, often making the situation far worse, and again, egos won't let good ideas come to fruition because others don't like they are shown up as ineffectual, incompetent, lazy or corrupt.

I practise what I preach. Every 18 months or so I take a Large vlack sack and collect all the cans/plastic bottles dumped on teh berges in teh mile or riad above us (Hedges/fields, no pavements) I squash cans and bottles and carry them home and recylce. Next day I repeat and finish the job off. And then I do cardboard and unrecyclable rubbish...

It's part of the route of my daily walk - Hivis vest and headlight in wineter job at 7.30am.. And throw yourself into a hedge when some cars pass..:-(

ALL is dumped by people out of car windows...These are muppets who get away with it.. So teh only way to stop is to indirectly target their supplers - the take away chanis.

(soory wrong glasses.. broekn real ones so cannot read what I write..)

Ditto for me in many ways - we can collectively make huge gains in terms of redcude electricity and gas usage, and the same with ordinary fossil fuel usage for cars. It's often laziness and convenience these days that has lead to the over-use of energy, not just large increases in the population.

The number of people I see popping out to the shops by car when it would take them 5-10 minutes to walk it (even when the weather's ok), people drop litter because they think the council 'employs' someone to pick it up, forgetting the damage it can do (especially plastics) to the environment, especially over the longer term.

Recycling is a good thing, but what happened to re-using? Some people now treat the 'bag for life' bags from supermarkets like the 'use-once' type, which, BTW, I re-use until they start to break apart. If people took better care of things, bought sensibly at the right time, they can save a fortune on living costs and reduce their carbon footprint/pollution significantly.

Just a bit of thought can help in small ways here and there, adding up to huge gains overall if we all did similar things (which don't negatively impact us).

What if I can't have a home charging point - Some Answers - ExA35Owner

This link shows what the national grid is doing....

gridwatch.co.uk/

gridwatch.co.uk/

6% coal - bad day for emissions.

gridwatch.co.uk/

6% coal - bad day for emissions.

Given much of the biomass (wood pellets/chips) apparently comes ffrom the US/Canada, then the 8% electrical power that produces won't be very green either. Besides, biomass is locally VERY polluting, as I discovered when first doing SAP assessments as part of my job in Building Services Engineering about 10 years or so ago.

Compared to gas boilers, for example, biomass ones (whether domestic or big commercial grade ones) were REALLY dirty beasts. In many urban conservation areas they aren't allowed, plus the obvious reasons because to be properly viable and green, the source of the wood should be within about 25 miles of where it's used.

A shame our wonderful governments (of all hues) wasted 20+ years pfaffing about deciding on thenew nuclear power stations, all the while our (previously) world-leading know-how retired and was not replaced and the current generation of power stations are getting near to the end-of-life, whilst the 'new' ones are still not even in the design stage and are having to be built by the French and (oh joy) the Chinese, meaning we are portentially at the mercy of a less than friendly dictatorship as regards key energy producing facilities.