Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - John F

Must have taken leave of my senses. Went to see overpriced ex-demonstrator but wrong colour of grey for Mrs F. For only a bit more money we got and end-of-line brand new 1.2 Puretech 131 (I'd have preferred 110 for better chance of longevity) EAT6 for £17k on the nail. Hats off to the salesman. Of all the tiny turbo three pots this PSA engine seems arguably the most user-friendly and reliable one, and Aisin's EAT6 seems to have no long term issues either - probably because it's apparently based on the hugely successful ZF 6HP box. We live in a village so MrsF wanted 4x4 but the video of HJ driving one up a ski slope with its nifty grip control was good enough for me. And it's come with all season tyres. I haven't actually driven it yet (flu) but will report more in due course.

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - Bromptonaut

I looked at 2008 as a replacement for my written off Roomster. Price wasn't right and I'm not keen on 3 pots with off beat idle and drone at speed. Bought a Skoda Fabia in end.

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - Avant

Good luck with it, John. You and I will remember the glory days of the 1980s and 90s when Peugeot had the 205, 306 and 405 and could do no wrong. After a long period in the doldrums it seems that they are making good cars again. I too instinctively prefer more cylinders, but I know HJ is very complimentary about the 1.2 PSA engine.

It'll be interesting to hear how you and Mrs F get on with the touchscreen!

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - Senexdriver

Unless I’ve missed a bit of the story, I’m intrigued to know which of your stable of older cars will make way (or maybe has made way) for the new arrival. An acquaintance of mine has had a 2008 (no idea which engine) for a year or so and he is delighted with it. Hope the flu soon subsides so that you can drive the 2008 and give us your impressions.

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - John F

Unless I’ve missed a bit of the story, I’m intrigued to know which of your stable of older cars will make way (or maybe has made way) for the new arrival.

After nearly 16yrs excellent service (thanks of course to my scrupulous maintenance), our X reg Focus is now in the hands of our most dysmechanical son, who has strict instructions to pour in 500mls of Wilco's finest when (if) it turns 142000).

Hope the flu soon subsides so that you can drive the 2008 and give us your impressions.

After 6 days fever, much better thanks. Shall drive it tomorrow. Mrs F already done 140 miles and loves it. If it lasts as long as the Focus I shall be well pleased (my actuarial life expectancy is around 16yrs).

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - FP

"After 6 days fever, much better thanks."

I had missed this and am glad to hear you have recovered well. Flu can be very nasty for those past their prime.

I have recently struggled for about the same length of time with a UTI, not helped by the fact that the first antibiotic I had didn't work and by the time I got the second (which did work) I was quite ill.

Hope the flu soon subsides so that you can drive the 2008 and give us your impressions.

First drive today - only 148 miles on the clock so following HJ's advice re running in. Driving position nice place to be - steering column goes up, down, in, out and chair pumps up so I can have the tiny wheel in my lap - like driving a go-cart! Bit more jiggly than the old Focus but as quiet if not more so. Wouldn't know it was a 3pot with a light right foot, and that's all you need with 130hp to make decent progress. EAT6 changes up at around 2750 give or take 250, and the gallic tall 6th gear gives 61mph at 2000 revs - hardly ever engaged even on A roads. Plenty of power in reserve so never need do more than tickle the accelerator. EMS doen't seem to let revs drop much below 2000 ever, so will be interested to observe petrol consumption. Even running in, I reckon a new engine needs to spin occasionally under light load so I knocked it into M and used the tiptronic function to spin it up to 4000 on a couple of occasions. There's no way I'm going to red line it (6000) until it's done at least 500 miles.

Dislikes - unlike the Crossland, no central armrest! also, heater's not as quick to warm us as the Focus - probably because the engine is more efficient. Also, I wish it had an infinitely variable intermittent wipe function controlled by me, not some raindrop sensor behind the mirror. Anyway, main thing is that MrsF loves it dearly, especially the panoramic roof and the lip-less loading area.

Reminded me of my old Dolly Sprint - same power and weight - such is progress after 40yrs!

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - Bromptonaut

Had it's Citroen equivalent, C3 Aircross I think as a courtesy car a few weeks ago.

I'm OK with touchscreens for radio etc provided they can emulate a push button tuner and I can control volume from remote on wheel/column. Anything else on the Skoda like vehicle config, how green is my driving etc is strictly for parked use only. Quite useful though to edit out stuff I don't need on the instrument panel display for mileage, trip etc.

Really do not like H&V and aircon other than via conventional rotary/sliding switches. Touchscreen on C3 was too fiddly, got smeared with fingerprints etc. It also had a gloss black bezel that caught light/shadow in a distracting way.

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - Happy Blue!

I do like the 3 cylinder thrum although at its best in a non-turbo engine.

The 2008 appears to be nice car but the styling is rather dull compared to the 3008. Hope it lasts the John F oil change and servicing regime...

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - Lee Power

Hope it lasts the John F oil change and servicing regime...

Depending how its driven it will likely need topping up between service visits.

Puretech engines use oil & they need the correct PSA spec oil to be used

Good luck with it, John. You and I will remember the glory days of the 1980s and 90s when Peugeot had the 205, 306 and 405 and could do no wrong.

I do indeed; also that ubiquitous workhorse of 1970s sub-saharan Africa, the 504 (I was working on the Zambian copperbelt in 1973/4 - my director had one). Saw one last month being used as a film 'extra' in downtown LA! Brought back memories.

I too instinctively prefer more cylinders

And so do I - 4x more, preferably....

So far so good. Fairly intuiitive. Techy son synchronised phone, and once the radio stations are set up they are mostly done from the steering wheel. Sat nav is much the same as our old touchscreen one (Garmin).

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - badbusdriver

Dislikes - unlike the Crossland, no central armrest!

Here you go John,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modification-New-Car-Armrest-Fo...0

Thanks bbd, but Mrs F says no, and has produced a cushion. Another dislike - the mirrors fold in every time the car is locked. I wonder how many years the electric motors will last? I might remove the fuses as I have yet to find a way of switching them off.

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - Lee Power

A Peugeot main dealer could disable the mirror power folding upon locking with Diagbox.

This question has come up on the Peugeot forum in the past several times & plenty of older Peugeot owners still have working power folding mirrors despite them folding / unfolding every time car is locked / unlocked.

Not allowing the mirrors to power fold is what siezes the power folding mechanism up.

There best left alone as the manufacturer intended.

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - badbusdriver

Thanks bbd, but Mrs F says no, and has produced a cushion. Another dislike - the mirrors fold in every time the car is locked. I wonder how many years the electric motors will last? I might remove the fuses as I have yet to find a way of switching them off.

Quite right!, if ithe cusion works for her, no point in spending the money. Also, being a Lady of taste, i'm sure the cusion in question 'goes with' the car!.

As for the mirrors, i'd actually prefer ones which fold automatically. When we got our Jazz. much as i was happy to have the power fold mirrors (narrow street), they have to be done at the press of a button, and i was forever forgetting for the first year or so, still do occasionally (I know, 'first world problems'!),

Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium - New car, tried and tested powertrain - hopefully. - catsdad

I disabled the auto folding on my Golf via one of the menus .I can still press a button in the car but there is no button on the key. My concern was if the mechanism froze up in winter they would either stick folded and/ or damage the motors in trying to move them.

The way the power fold mechanism works means if the mirror is frozen or jammed by outside influence - the control circuit board inside the mechanism will just cut the power off from the power fold function to prevent damage.

Simply allow to unfreeze / remove the obstruction & activate the power fold function to reset the stuck mirror.