VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - catsdad

My new to me 2018 Golf has a leak into the boot. Water is clearly travelling through the rear hatch door handle, behind the rear skin and tracking across the lock into the boot. Googling shows its probably a common failing of a drain pipe costing a fiver. The problem from a DIY point of view is that you need to ease off a lot of fixing clips that are prone to break. So back to the dealer for a warranty repair.

How hard can it be to remove the hatch trim and replace a pipe? Very apparently.

Their solution first entailed giving me a free courtesy car for a day for diagnosis. On my return they said Google may be right but what if its not? They now want my car for three days to do the repair which has to be recorded on video, agreed by VW then pressure tested. They can't do it for two weeks but will keep my car on site in case a cancellation slot becomes available to do it sooner. Meanwhile they have given me a free 2019 Passat DSG diesel until 12 November. taking it off sale to do so and will return my car with a full tank as goodwill.

On one level this is great customer service but its costing them a fortune. Why not whip off the trim, which has to come off anyway, and see if the problem is as simple as it appears and just slip in a new pipe? A few minutes work for rather less than my tank of petrol let alone the courtesy car and booked workshop time.

VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - CHarkin

It sounds to me they are trying to find out why it failed. If they just put it back the way it was then there is a good chance it happens again. VW are likely wanting to try a modification to eliminate the fault permanently and that must be a good thing.

VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - Andrew-T

Maybe, but the customer becomes an inconvenienced and unwilling guinea-pig.

Thanks for the comments. Part of me is grateful they are taking it seriously as I am well aware that leaks can be notoriously difficult to trace. And that Googling customers must be a pain. What I don't get is having had the car in the workshop for a day they didn't bother to pop off the trim and take a look to eliminate or confirm a parted drain hose. A few minutes work might avoid all this cost and my losing my new car for two weeks,and their costs ticking up.

As for its recurring the consensus on the forums is that once properly replaced with a slightly longer pipe to avoid it working loose under vibration it's OK.

VWs have design faults......who knew ;-)
VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - Terry W

These explanations may be spot on - but it is also quite likely that the more work done, and the greater the time taken by the dealer means they get to charge VW a bigger bill.

VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - CHarkin

You would think so Terry W but I don't know if thats actually the case. There has been a lot of discussion on that subject mainly resulting from the VAG emissions fix and the repairs to the cars it damaged as a result. It seems that VAG pay a greatly reduced rate for warranty work, around 50% of the normal and next to nothing on the parts. This resulted in emissions repairs being but to the back of the system and sometimes having to wait months to get their cars repaired.

Well I finally picked up the car today after the dealer had it for a week. Guess what, it was exactly the cause I suspected, a loose drain hose. It didn't stop the service receptionist explaining it to me in great detail when she handed it over.

As for the warranty aspect VW wouldn't cover it as the dealer reported the trim had been previously carelessly removed. So the dealer picked up the cost including a week's use of a new Passat as a courtesy car. Honest of them to report the trim issue to VW and in the end they treated me very fairly. Of course it could all have been sorted on the first visit.

VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I tried to remove the inner lining of a Passat Estate rear door some years ago for similar reasons . Most of the fasteners broke. I got a local indie to refit it. Embarrasing.

VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - elekie&a/c doctor
I can’t understand how a country that built U - boats can’t build a car that doesn’t leak water . All the German car manufacturers seem to be struggling to keep water out . I’ve seen so many models with flooded electronics ( because they locate them under the floor) . The worst one is the Bentley continental , where the main security and start module sits under the passenger seat and gets flooded because the plenum drains get blocked.
VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - edlithgow
I can’t understand how a country that built U - boats can’t build a car that doesn’t leak water . All the German car manufacturers seem to be struggling to keep water out . I’ve seen so many models with flooded electronics ( because they locate them under the floor) . The worst one is the Bentley continental , where the main security and start module sits under the passenger seat and gets flooded because the plenum drains get blocked.

That's not necessarily all bad. I found that when I addressed (not fixed, just improved) my flooding problem I got a rat problem.

Maybe BMW's don't have rats.

I bet U-boats did, at least while they were winning.

VW Golf - DIY for a fiver versus hundreds at dealer - Leif

I suspect a VW Golf is not designed to sink shipping while submerged.

And how come we had an empire and yet we can’t even manage an indigenous car company? We have to sell them to Johnny Foreigner who then makes the company successful.