Luton airport access and parking - FoxyJukebox

For most people with average intelligence the following message on the Luton Airport website could perhaps be shortened to-"please keep well away if you can"...?

Drop-off/pick-up zone relocation:

Wednesday 23 October 2019

The terminal drop-off and pick-up zone is moving to a new under cover location from mid-morning on Wednesday 23 October. Please follow signs for “drop-off and pick-up only” upon arrival at the airport. Note that vehicles will be charged £4 for stays of 10 minutes or less in this area, and £1 per minute thereafter.

Planned roadworks:

7th to 18th October 2019

A1081 New Airport Way

Closure of the A1081 northbound and southbound from Percival Way to the traffic lights at B653, and from the roundabout at Kimpton Road to the traffic lights at B653 between 22:00 and 05:00 on dates as listed above. This is to allow for enabling works as part of the DART project.

Source: Luton Council

29th November to 2nd December 2019

A1081 New Airport Way - Full closure

There will be a full closure of the A1081 New Airport Way in both directions between 00:01 on Friday 29th November until 23:59 on Monday 2nd December 2019 to allow for bridge installation as part of the DART project. Diversions will be in place.

Cars approaching the airport from the M1 should follow diversions along the B563 Gypsy Lane, A505 Kimpton Road to Airport Way.

HGVs and coaches approaching the airport form the M1 should follow the diversion route along London Road, onto Castle Street, A505 Park Viaduct to Windmill Road, then onto the A505 Kimpton Road and Airport Way.

These route are to be followed backwards for drivers travelling towards the M1.

16th September to December 2019

A1081 New Airport Way (towards M1)

Lane closure of the A1081 southbound from Percival Way to the traffic lights at the B653 Kimpton Road. This work is to allow for the construction of the DART (Direct Air to Rail Transit). Some delays possible.

15th October 2018 to December 2019

A1081 New Airport Way (towards Airport)

Bus lane closed for bridge construction for DART (Direct Air to Rail Transit). Some delays possible.

Important update to car park names

From 15th August 2019

We're changing the name of our Multi Storey Car Park to Terminal Car Park 1.

As part of our continued investment in the airport experience, we’ll be opening a second multi-storey car park next week. In line with this, we’re changing the names of our car parks, to better reflect each car park’s proximity to the terminal.

Please be aware that signage related to car park names will be being updated between August 15th 2019 and August 16th 2019. If you are planning to use the existing multi-storey car park, you should follow signs as you approach for either the Terminal Car Park 1 or the Multi-Storey Car Park.

The new multi-storey car park will be named Terminal Car Park 2.

Luton airport access and parking - FP

Yes, it looks as if disruption is inevitable. At least the complete road closure is limited to four days spanning a weekend, though that will be little comfort to those attempting to travel.

As you say, it's probably best to avoid Luton Airport at this time if at all possible.

I don't know where the new underground drop-off area is located, but hopefully it will involve less walking to the terminal than at present.

The road closure to facilitate the construction of the shuttle railway will mean a long-overdue improvement to access the terminal is now in sight.

Luton airport access and parking - 72 dudes

Well I think it's lovely that they're doing all this work just to help us ;>)

I have to say that I completely lost my temper back in July (a rare event) when dropping off Mrs 72 dudes and the luggage in the blue badge area of the drop off zone at Luton.

As we finished loading the luggage onto a £2 trolley (nice), two Asian families in two seperate cars pulled in front of me and parked diagonally across both the lane and the blue badge area, thus blocking my exit and that of cars coming in to the drop-off zone. There are cameras for the blue badge area and I think they were trying to avoid these.

I watched them faff around for maybe 30 seconds before giving a polite toot on the horn. Remember, it's £4 for 10 minutes and a fine thereafter. No response except for that slightly menacing look you get from the younger males..

So I can't move and there's a queue forming on the access road because cars arriving can't get down my lane of the drop off zone.

My temper is like a switch I'm afraid and I was suddenly leaning on the horn from outside the car shouting at these m****s. The families are still unloading themselves and luggage from the cars (what can take so long?) and having a nice little chat with the drivers, while still trying to ignore me. Eventually they pulled forward about 4 feet so I could squeeze past. The whole episode took probably 3 minutes, but I certainly lost it.

Luton airport access and parking - oldroverboy.

I avoid Luton as we have Stansted close by us where drop off/collection 1 hour free and a bus free to terminal. But inside both, lack of seating but plenty of shops. Both as bad as each other