Any - Dart Charge - nick62

I have a Dart Charge account for the M25 Dartford crossing.

Due to how work patterns change I haven't used this route for over 12 months. I received an email last week informing me that if I don't use the crossing or top-up my account in the next 90 days, my account will be closed!

What a complete rip-off, I am nearly £5 in credit and will lose this unless I pay an additional £10 (the minimum top-up fee), risking the same scenario next year.

It's not as if it costs them anything to administer the account.

Living near to the New Mersey Crossing is bad enough, now HMG want to rip me off some more.

Edited by nick62 on 07/10/2019 at 15:55

Any - Dart Charge - Falkirk Bairn

It's £5.00!

not £50

Not even enough for 2 coffees

Let it lapse and if you need to use the bridge again you can open a new account..

It's £5.00!

not £50

Not even enough for 2 coffees

Let it lapse and if you need to use the bridge again you can open a new account..

Feel free to send me any unwanted fivers anytime FB.

Any - Dart Charge - kiss (keep it simple)

You don't need an account to use the crossing. Just pay online before midnight the next day. Probably the best course of action for an infrequent user.

Any - Dart Charge - concrete

I have an account for the Dartford Crossing. I don't top it up or pay in advance. They take £2.50 every time I use it, directly from my bank account. If you look at their website you may be able to find this method. However I use the crossing about 4 or 5 times a year so maybe that is a factor. As suggested it may be easier to pay as you go.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Dart Charge - Smileyman

Nick

Did they say what they would do with the £5 funds in credit, surely they will refund this to you, and not just keep the monies in hand

(if you want to get value perhaps a kind reader would allow you to put their car onto your account and send you the £5!)

Any - Dart Charge - Ian_SW

I too recently received a notification stating my account was now inactive, because I'd not used it for 12 months. Oddly, I'd not actually used it since April 2017, so I'm no idea what triggered it to become inactive now.

Having had a root around on their website, it looks like you can get the money back by filling in a form to close the account at your own request. It's unclear though whether or not money is refunded if the account is left to expire of its own accord. I think I'll be putting in the form just in case, certainly not worth the 500 mile round trip to make a crossing to re-activate the account!

Any - Dart Charge - Bromptonaut

It's not as if it costs them anything to administer the account.

Not as such but there is a cost to dormant accounts in terms of data storage, time to run reports etc. Years ago now and computers have far more power but back in nineties I halved time it took to run end of day reports by removing nil balance accounts.

IIRC TfL have a problem with Oyster cards with relatively small balances that have been forgotten or whatever. So do banks with unclaimed balances.

Quite reasonable to have a process where such money is put to use provided there is a system for legitimate owners to reclaim it.

Quite reasonable to have a process where such money is put to use provided there is a system for legitimate owners to reclaim it.

I'll take a look to see if this is possible, but they certainly don't make it easy if it is.

Thanks

Any - Dart Charge - alan1302

I'll take a look to see if this is possible, but they certainly don't make it easy if it is.

Thanks

There is a form to fill in and email to them to close your account...how hard is that?

Any - Dart Charge - Sulphur Man

Does the DART ANPR still have 'problems' detecting offset number plates, a la Alfa Romeo 156. Or have they fixed it. I know someone who's enjoyed countless crossings gratis in his 156 Sportwagon

Thanks

There is a form to fill in and email to them to close your account...how hard is that?

I couldn't find the form you mention (although that could be a bug with Firefox)?

Spoke to a telephonist - cheque being posted to me, (I guess they like paying postage fees)?

Any - Dart Charge - alan1302

Thanks

I couldn't find the form you mention (although that could be a bug with Firefox)?

Spoke to a telephonist - cheque being posted to me, (I guess they like paying postage fees)?

But if you forget to cash your cheque they will make some money back and I expect a lot of people forget.

I won't forget to cash the cheque.

I have just received a letter confirming that my account is now closed. A second letter is to follow with my cheque. The stupidity of these organisations never ceases to astound me, why can't they send the cheque with the first letter and be done with it?

UK Government, wasting money like it's going out of fashion since time was invented.